PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone vett this guy?

Fox
9 May 2011, 19:17
Silverbullet Approved:

I was in a local store the other day and saw a fellow buying ammo. The guy was overweight and open carying a Glock with somthing like seven mags. Wearing a 3rd Marine Divison Hat and had something like "Trained Killer" tattooed on his left forearm. I heard him tell the clerk something like, "you should come to my shooting school". I asked him where he taught. (I am the Chief Training Officer for a major Metro PD and know all the Training Houses in the area) He told me the name of a private shooting club that I was a member of a while back and still run in those circles. Long story short I never heard of this guy. I asked him for a card and he said he did not have one. I volunteered one of mine and asked him to email me some info. After he did email me, I checked out his site. I wanted to post it here and see if anyone knows and can vett this guy? Claims a lot of stuff. The site address is www.gaprotectivemeasures.com

Virgil Tibbs
9 May 2011, 19:36
According to his website he is bad ass.

CarbineM1
9 May 2011, 19:45
According to his website he is bad ass.

yes he is :biggrin:, hey Sharc, never heard of the guy while I was in the area, thought I knew everyone in the biz at least peripherally....interesting website.

Hangin at Ed's or SRGC this dude? Checked with the HH6 same answer from her.

PM in yr box.

The Fat Guy
9 May 2011, 20:44
Douche bag. He runs from one job that lets him carry a gun to another
None of them qualify him to do anything but exercise his 2nd amendment right.

Silverbullet
9 May 2011, 20:49
Trained by SAS and GSG9.....LOL

CarbineM1
9 May 2011, 20:52

9mmParabellum0321

Recon MOS identifier as his youtube address....

Ranger1
9 May 2011, 21:17
His pictures with the sunglasses on inside and taking cover behind his couch on the living room rug are priceless.

Fox
9 May 2011, 21:19
Those pics are of some other guy. The guy I saw could not fit behind that couch.

JAFO
9 May 2011, 21:22
I've seen him at Autry's a couple of times. Douchebag galore with a CCW.:rolleyes:

Guy
9 May 2011, 21:28
His pictures with the sunglasses on inside and taking cover behind his couch on the living room rug are priceless.I would have used a shotgun for that pic.:eek:;)

Stay safe.

dfender110
9 May 2011, 21:44
I think the "Mickey Mouse" in his name is the only accurate thing I see.

Other than if someone is looking for a list of almost every shooting school in the USA!

The Fat Guy
9 May 2011, 22:16

Read.... Youtube

SOTB
10 May 2011, 01:49
9mmParabellum0321

Recon MOS identifier as his youtube address....He might have gotten it by MCI -- yes, there was a time when you could. But IIRC, you were supposed to be assigned to a billet for 6 months after getting your passing score, and not just taking the MCI.

He went to RS before I did (purportedly), which explains why there was no chow when I got there....

Dark Helmet
10 May 2011, 02:09
He went to RS before I did (purportedly), which explains why there was no chow when I got there....

How many does your Winnebago hold, and (more importantly) is he free Memorial Day weekend?

Virgil Tibbs
10 May 2011, 03:15
I am just glad it doesn't say 5326. He is your shit stain to deal with Marines. I did find a pic of his training partner.

Wait for it

Wait for it

Woah........(with how many times this guy has made a Socnet appearance, I should get a few cross thread points here)

Dino0311
10 May 2011, 07:08
Whoops, never mind.

LRS Guy
10 May 2011, 13:42
Looked at his site, "sigh". He might be a "bada$$" but sure cannot spell.

Assault as in Air Assault School is NOT spelled "Air Assualt"!

At least spell the name right!

leon1981
10 May 2011, 14:59
Hahaha,

Maybe he was in those team @ online gaming hahaha

leon1981
10 May 2011, 15:06
sorry teams...

Purgatory
10 May 2011, 16:57
His website could only be better if it depicted that fat kid, above in cammies, in the prone taking cover behind the sofa...

B 2/75
10 May 2011, 17:14
*sigh*

Schools:

Security in High Risk Environments Center
Vehicle Counter Measures
Special Operations Low Intensity Conflict Center
Hostile Environment Operative Course
School of Infantry
Airborne
Ranger 8-84 Hmmmmm
Scuba
Sniper 2-81 Funny, I'm pretty damn sure the only SS in 81 was USMC
Field Artillery Instructor Course He's gotta be legit... what poser would claim this???
Recondo
Air Assualt sp

EDITED TO ADD:

Oh my you gotta see this... and what's up with this looking right and left thing? (http://www.youtube.com/user/9mmParabellum0321#p/u/8/YspNUTJ_EUg)

Guy
10 May 2011, 17:34
Oh my you gotta see this... and what's up with this looking right and left thing? (http://www.youtube.com/user/9mmParabellum0321#p/u/8/YspNUTJ_EUg)That's some "new" fad BS picked up on a few years ago.:eek:

"Its called peripheral vision SOB! Try using it!":cool:

Stay safe.

The Fat Guy
10 May 2011, 18:00
*sigh*

EDITED TO ADD:

Oh my you gotta see this... and what's up with this looking right and left thing? (http://www.youtube.com/user/9mmParabellum0321#p/u/8/YspNUTJ_EUg)

Its as fucked up as the shooting moving backwards thing.

Ranger5280
10 May 2011, 18:47
Momma no longer an option
I am a man with options, I want a woman but I don't need one and if there is a big disagreement I can go home not back to my moms house.

Trill seeker alert!
I am a trill seeker, so anything that get the rush except drugs

And he's added a new video to his "Culo" playlist. I do not recommend viewing it. However, I found his shooting video "Heart, Balls, Brain" deserving of an award.

MrPotatoHead
10 May 2011, 19:18
"Former Atlanta Police Officer Unit 3113 C Sector Zone 1"

I don't get this.... Is this somehow important outside the Atlanta PD? Do all the citizens keep a beat map and this would denote he worked along Peach Tree Street or something?

"of all my students, I have 17 who have had to use their weapon to protect themselves. Four of them are women. They all sucessfully won their confrontations. None were charged in criminal or civil court."

DAMN! Y'all must be shootin folks in GA at a furious rate! 17 people? Holy crap! We've had CCW in NM for about 8 years now and there's only been 1 shooting involving a CCW holder to date! This guy must be one badass instructor!!!! :biggrin:

Purgatory
10 May 2011, 19:20
This is pretty funny.. Center Peel in what looks like the OK Corral...someone might be able to ID this place out of this VID....

http://www.youtube.com/user/9mmParabellum0321#p/u/29/ZshoNPoy9K4

I've ran this guy by a few GA guys no good stories to report.

CarbineM1
10 May 2011, 19:24
This is pretty funny.. Center Peel in what looks like the OK Corral...someone might be able to ID this place out of this VID....

He is using the pits at South River Gun Club in those videos.... there are a few that visit here that are involved in it's administration. Lot of shooting events there. Actually a pretty good club.

Purgatory
10 May 2011, 19:29
9mmParab (You Tube):

I've been shot five times. Once in the mic, once in the radio, and three times in the vest. (omg who is this guy)

All the people I've shot has been either with a .38 special or a 9mm.....

HCMuscle
10 May 2011, 19:36
Man I hate guys like that he was probably some POG and now thinks he all badass, guys like that need a wake up if you know what I mean.

Purgatory
10 May 2011, 19:54
I can't believe I wasted part of my life watching this videos..... done thinking about this looser.....

B 2/75
10 May 2011, 20:05

I've ran this guy by a few GA guys no good stories to report.

:eek: Good Lord, I'm amazed that that nobody got shot during that tactical withdrawal under fire... :rolleyes:

Fox
10 May 2011, 22:00
...my initial assessment was correct. Tool bag with broken tools.

Guy
10 May 2011, 22:26
:eek: Good Lord, I'm amazed that that nobody got shot during that tactical withdrawal under fire... :rolleyes:You count/compare the # of rounds fired -vs- the hits on target.:eek:

"Everyone can shoot, can you hit what you're shooting at?"

One of my Oz'ism

"Bullets ain't no joke! Once them fuckers are let loose--ain't no call'em back! This shit ain't fly fish'n where you cast over & over again until you hit the right spot."

Stay safe.

SOW_0331
10 May 2011, 22:49
Pardon me as I dive into the past to search for the thread but...

Is this not the same ass hat that had some kind of company that was proven to be bullshit, right here on SOCNET?

IIRC, he was claiming to hire former Marines fresh off their last tour for some upcoming gig. He had a whole lot of shadowy, I-wear-my-sunglasses indoors pictures.

I will try to find the name for certain, so that we don't get the two clowns mixed up, but I thought he was running his little Pheonix group right?

Is this the infamous Juan Reed?

Polypro
13 May 2011, 14:21
I don't want to get into a tactics thing, but...

The scanning to the immediate left and right of the threat area seems a pretty standard thing, but when did looking 180 degrees away from the guy you just shot (technically twice), come into vogue? Is "third eye" out now? I caught you!...but my gun is pointing the other way? Why not just a 360 at "Sul" or something? Educate my cherry self.

P

CarbineM1
13 May 2011, 17:03

The scanning to the immediate left and right of the threat area seems a pretty standard thing, but when did looking 180 degrees away from the guy you just shot (technically twice), come into vogue? Is "third eye" out now? I caught you!...but my gun is pointing the other way? Why not just a 360 at "Sul" or something? Educate my cherry self.

P

Apparently he is a now an 1811 "Special Agent" so it must be a new FLETC thing :biggrin:

9 Micky Mouse
Open Carry Encounter

"I was in Publix today and the manager keep looking at me walking back and forth. I just said the heck with it. I called him over to me and showed him my GWL I could tell he was a little relieved and so was I.
Let me say I was against open carry for along time and I just satrted to do it about 3 weeks ago however, I do not do it everywhere.
I am a 1811 but I do have a GWL and firearms licenses from Florida, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Viginia, Maine.
I don't like flashing a badge I do not what people to know who I am enough know anyway.
I am for open carry"

From "Michigan Open Carry" forum, apparently when Sharc1 approached him and handed him his business card stating he was a Police Officer in the same town he lives in, he left out this little tidbit :)

he must be undercover..a multi-jurisdictional task-force, obviously

(too much time on my hands)

Fox
13 May 2011, 20:22
...this post from B2. What a moron this guy is. Yeah he id's himself to a Publix manager, but neglects to tell me a "fellow" LEO that he is an Agent?

O.K. 'nuff said. Thanks all.

S1 NFT

g6445v
14 May 2011, 08:40

P

some FLEA's are requiring during quals or drills, not only to scan/aim from to side to side, but to bring the handgun to a close to the chest at a high ready position and check the area behind over each shoulder...some FLEA firearm's instructors will put their hand up and require the shooter call out how fingers he has up...
Having said that I'm here to tell you the guy shown in the youtube videos is dangerous to say the least...he probably washed out of a LEA and now is passing himself as an instructor or former FLEO...he seems to me as a wannabe, the equivalent of the military impostors going around claiming to be war vets...

SOW_0331
14 May 2011, 08:50
http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/images/juan8.jpg

Juan Reed, via POWnetwork. Owner of the Phoenix scam group. Thread on them is here...http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=96730

http://gaprotectivemeasures.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Moving.100155608_std.jpg

This is the GA Protective Measures guy.

Do they seem extremely close in appearance to anyone else?

SOTB
14 May 2011, 09:16
The scanning to the immediate left and right of the threat area seems a pretty standard thing, but when did looking 180 degrees away from the guy you just shot (technically twice), come into vogue? Is "third eye" out now? I caught you!...but my gun is pointing the other way? Why not just a 360 at "Sul" or something? Educate my cherry self....You are a bad person. You opened up a topic which burns my ass when I think about it. I don't believe I will be educating anyone, but you gave me justification to break into a rant.

The "vogue" thing is to break the students from focusing upon the one threat they've ID'd and get them to look for other targets. Makes sense, right? Everyone that teaches shooting talks about multiple adversaries, right?

Right.

So the fad moves from taking a quick look for other tgts from behind the gun (hunting is what I heard it called in the 80's) to coming off the sights and looking right/left, to turning completely around (the 360 you mention is/was taught at Yeager's place, surely other places as well), to now also verifying that your gun is up (kick/angle the gun up a bit and check to see you don't have a gun in malfunction). Oh, and while not exactly the same thing, let's not forget moving to the right/left while shooting/after shooting (simulating moving to cover or making yourself a moving tgt).

Since the idea that looking for more targets isn't a bad idea, nor checking your gun to verify it's status, no one is willing to argue against the above. Especially when teaching so-called new/inexperienced students -- who purportedly will not have the ability to work in searches and equipment check into their situation unless we force it upon them.

IMO, the whole thing is inexperienced instructors who've grabbed onto neato concepts and incorporate it into their drills to make themselves look cool (these drills are about real life tactics, damnit), as well as eat up range time.

But surely someone will post that I'm fucked up because I think it is ridiculous to check the status of your gun every time you fire it, or do pirouettes on the firing line -- so right on. I'm going to be the moron off to the side who considers that I can remember to check out what is around me (vice just in front of me), when I yank my gun out, and who is also able to keep my gun in action.

Still, I'm awaiting the next new thing to hit the firing lines....

CarbineM1
14 May 2011, 09:31
delete please

(off-topic..)

Fox
14 May 2011, 13:52
The guy in the pictures with the sunglasses (Juan Reed) I don't think is the guy I saw. The guy I saw looks bigger to me and apparantly goes by Robert Wilson. He obviously has some affiliation with the Reed guy though because he is all over his site. Also, this ass hat has wormed into GLOCK Inc. They have a picture of the guy I saw on page 73 of THe Glock Annual 2011. You can plainly see the tattoo I was talking about on his left forearm. They make reference to some group called Personal Tactics.

In the article they claim that he is "a current Law Enforcement Officer....extensive military and law enforcement background..."

S1

Rooprakoopa
14 May 2011, 17:08
Wow...I could already tell he was faking it as soon as I saw his site embellishing all these ridiculous records most people don't have. Also, I'm pretty sure any real deal guy wouldn't post such cheesy pictures for 'business'. It's even funnier to see that POW Network has their sights on him...I hope this guy gets busted and outed by the people around him.

Moran 'doc'
18 May 2011, 15:24
Wow everyday you are not talking/exposing me is a good day!!!!! And hey that guy was just looking for the bag of cheeze puffs not hiding behind the couch with his gun in his hand.

Tripod
18 May 2011, 19:10
IMO, the whole thing is inexperienced instructors who've grabbed onto neato concepts and incorporate it into their drills to make themselves look cool (these drills are about real life tactics, damnit), as well as eat up range time.

Actually this "technique" of scan left, scan right, check your six is a DoS mandated concept for WPS firearms instruction. (Yes, it was part of the DoS provided/reviewed powerpoint presentations) and the term is "scan and reassess". It is done with the Glock, and M4.

The purpose is to ensure the shooter doesnt immediately go to the holster, but rather scans for additional threats, and then reluctantly reholsters. The check of the six is a quick glance over the shoulder, and is meant to build muscle memory in the event a shooter is in the kneeling or prone, and doesnt stand up in his compadres line of fire behind him.

The additional check to ensure the firearm is still in battery is not mandated by DoS and not part of the instruction given. The shooter should always know the condition of their firearm, and should know the all too familiar sounds of their weapon malfunctioning. Then the "step to the side" is taught, to simulate the act of taking cover prior to conducting remedial action and bringing their weapon back into service. This is a safety measure so you dont have students taking a knee on a hot firing line when they are attempting to correct a malfunction.

Eating up range time isnt a luxury Ive ever had. In fact, the allocated days in the WPS POI arent sufficient as they are.

Tripod

rubberneck
18 May 2011, 19:29
I wonder how "Super" Dave Harrington feels about having his picture used that way. If the guy is a phony someone who knows him might want to let Dave know his picture is being used on that site.

CCo275
18 May 2011, 21:59
Has there been any progress in checking his claims? Is the high speed, trained killer, with more black belts than Macy's, Super Secret Federal Agent, Ranger, go for your throat and shoot you in the face (after being wounded five times), but too fat to make the fifty meter cheesy shooting/moving demo on Youtube for real or what?!

SOTB - I think you should attend one of his high speed schools and ask him about checking your six! :cool:

hdjohn
20 May 2011, 09:31
Don't make fun of the "behind the couch" training. As I was heading for cover I found 35 cents in one of my cushions................

John

Sharky
20 May 2011, 11:41
The purpose is to ensure the shooter doesnt immediately go to the holster, but rather scans for additional threats, and then reluctantly reholsters. The check of the six is a quick glance over the shoulder, and is meant to build muscle memory in the event a shooter is in the kneeling or prone, and doesnt stand up in his compadres line of fire behind him.

Agreed. I believe the concept is valid. I see people (even well trained LEO's and Mil types) constantly acting like they're in some sort of race to get the gun back in the holster for some reason.

The scan/assess is also (IMHO) a valid tool to mentally break out of the "tunnel vision" or shock that you may still be experiencing immediately after the engagement. Not so much for the SOF types, as their level of training and mindset will probably take care of the problem on it's own, but more for the Police Officer or CCW holder who may have to use their gun once in their entire life. It has the effect of getting the gears in your brain turning again at normal speed so to speak. Again, I think it is a valid concept. People with limited or no training or limited exposure to violence/trauma have a tendency to just vapor lock during/immediately after a violent/traumatic incident. I do it on the range myself, not so much for the above reason, as I know from experience that I wont vapor lock, but to lead by example for whomever I am teaching. We have to remember that not all of us have the same training/mindset/experience. When I have to train a female USAF CPT who is going into harms way, it's a different process than helping a former SOF guy knock the rust off. Lowest Common Denominator.

How many of us have seen guys get so tunneled up just in a simunitions environment that they dont even hear the instructor talking to them or see obvious problems beyond the target they just engaged? I've seen guys hyperventilate inside a simunitions mask within 30 seconds of a scenario starting with no more physical activity taking place than firing two rounds and moving ten feet from point A to point B.

The problem, as always, is instructors who teach the tactics and techniques who know how to execute them, but do not truly understand WHY they are teaching them. That's been a problem as far as I can remember and I doubt it will ever go away.

BOUCHE
21 May 2011, 21:41
nice

Tripod
22 May 2011, 12:31
Right on. Well said Sharky.

bmbsqd
22 May 2011, 12:59
Is that a La-z-Boy?

SOTB
22 May 2011, 13:17
Actually....I could care less what DOS requires or calls it. I rarely (OK, never) rise from my morning slumber and face to wherever the nearest DOS entity is and prostrate myself. Did I misunderstand your post to mean you thought I was even referring to DOS at all (with my previous comment)?

My point was that people are being shown techniques and concepts that in many situations make sense, and in many situations, those same techniques and concepts are fairly stupid. Many instructors (to loosely utilize that term), incorporate certain techniques -- for no other reason, IMO -- than because it looks cool. Period. But people won't disagree with this practice, because the concept seems sound, it is meant to save lives, etc.

Whatever.

As mentioned above, lots of people are capable of showing they know how to do something, and some (not all) of those same people can impart upon their students the ability to do the same. It seems as if not many instructors today are well-versed on the whole why thing. They say they are, and talk a good game, until you see them teaching -- at which point it is best to simply roll one's eyes and tune them out.

In advance, nothing in this post -- save the specific areas where specifically mentioned -- is meant to be in reference to DOS. A really good and honest reason for that, is that I could give a flying fuck what DOS is doing....

RAT
22 May 2011, 13:55
Your post...

IMHO: I found that if you hold people at gun point, make them disrobe and stand naked...

The gun fire stops, no oone gets killed, you wim harts and minds, everyone remembers who the bad guys are... :eek::tongue::biggrin:

RO!!!

SOTB
22 May 2011, 14:07
RO!!!PM sent. As usual, your box is filled. Sent an email, instead....

Tripod
22 May 2011, 14:22
I could care less what DOS requires or calls it. I rarely (OK, never) rise from my morning slumber and face to wherever the nearest DOS entity is and prostrate myself. Did I misunderstand your post to mean you thought I was even referring to DOS at all (with my previous comment)?

Yes, you apparently did misunderstand my previous post.

My point was to merely explain why, in my current situation, certain techniques/concepts are taught, and the clients reasoning behind why they must be taught. Wether I agree with them, or not, wether I think they look cool to teach, or not, is a moot point. The current program on which I am currently employed requires that these techniques/concepts be taught to the candidates. When the candidates, many who feel as you do, ask why then (once again wether we agree or not) the instructor must give a logical explanation that satisfies the candidate. The clients reasoning, as I explained in my previous post, as well as Sharky's well put reasoning, is the justification given to the candidate. Had nothing to do with defending DoS's position, or any of the techniques themselves.

And as for you not giving a flying fuck about DoS....well I could give a flying fuck. :cool:

Fox
23 May 2011, 08:46
...my initial assessment was correct. Tool bag with broken tools.

This was not very nice of me. I should not have posted this comment. I apologize to Mr. Wilson.

RGR.Montcalm
23 May 2011, 17:28
This was not very nice of me. I should not have posted this comment. I apologize to Mr. Wilson.

Surely you're not scared of a beat down...:rolleyes:

All you have to do is out run him...for 50 meters:eek::biggrin:

jsmurphy
23 May 2011, 18:49
What a homo.

BCPerry
25 May 2011, 15:23
So, here's my take on the guy. I have trained with him. So what if he doesn't have the best looking website around. IMHO, he is a very talented guy trying to make it in the world of firearm instructors. Combat Handgun Magazine did a 4 page story on him a few months ago. How many of you can claim that? And with that, don't you think that a magazine of that caliber would do a great job of checking references and such? So what if he is a little over weight, are all of you perfect? Does that mean he can't shoot or teach? Does that give you guys the right to blast him because you all don't know him.

It really boggle's the mind to see so many "professionals" blast someone they have never met and don't know.

Virgil Tibbs
25 May 2011, 15:36
So, here's my take on the guy. I have trained with him. So what if he doesn't have the best looking website around. IMHO, he is a very talented guy trying to make it in the world of firearm instructors. Combat Handgun Magazine did a 4 page story on him a few months ago. How many of you can claim that? And with that, don't you think that a magazine of that caliber would do a great job of checking references and such? So what if he is a little over weight, are all of you perfect? Does that mean he can't shoot or teach? Does that give you guys the right to blast him because you all don't know him.

It really boggle's the mind to see so many "professionals" blast someone they have never met and don't know.

Actually NO magazines DON'T check up on people. Which is why we are CONSTANTLY busting them for telling Phony SEAL, SF, Recon stories. It is a daily occurrence. And his claims are RIDICULOUS. The schools he CLAIMS to have attended are all but impossible for him to have done so if his military claims are true. So unless you have checked his references personally I would back out of this post quick. If you read the thread, someone DID meet him that is where this thread started.

Any questions?

Silverbullet
25 May 2011, 16:11

Not only aren't you qualified to know what is or isn't good training, you obviously overlooked the lies about his background and who has "trained" him. Sorry you wasted your money, but it won't bring the value back by trying to defend the indefensible.

Axman
25 May 2011, 16:50
I just want to know if this guy even graduated Ranger school.

Has anybody checked into that?

Ax

Virgil Tibbs
25 May 2011, 17:06

That is the two that get me the most also.

BOFH
25 May 2011, 17:21
That is the two that get me the most also.

Aww, c'mon! You mean the 22 didn't offer you the chance to attend their super-secret, fat-guy only shooting course?

Virgil Tibbs
25 May 2011, 17:33
I am jealous of the donut boy, yes.

BOFH
25 May 2011, 17:42
I drank a beer with an SAS guy after he ran through the CQC facility once...that's close enough, right?

bubblehead
25 May 2011, 21:16
Classic...

http://gaprotectivemeasures.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Home_Invasion.10565321_std.jpg