PDA

View Full Version : PCS to the Pentagon - Looking for Relocation Tips

CombatWombat
26 July 2011, 14:13
Well, I made it a decade without having to work above the BDE level but it appears those days are done. I'm off to the G-3 shop, HQDA, somewhere in the bowels of the Pentagon.

I've linked up with the guy I'm backfilling and he's giving me some intel on the area but I figured I'd check in here for any other poop, particularly on the housing front. I have a wife and school age kids and our top priority is getting into the best school district we can, followed by commuting distance/time, and then house/lot size. Like everybody else, we're looking hardest at Farifax county but neither of us have lived in the NoVA/DC area and are just going off of what we're hearing.

Additionally, if anyone knows how TRICARE works down there and where our MTF and primary is, my wife would love to hear it. I was guessing Wally World, but what do I know? I'm pretty ignorant of the whole deal since I just go to sick call and my wife has always handled things for the rest of the team. Our next little wild one is due November so she's concerned about getting caught in the usual PCS snafu of figuring out what's what.

Thanks, all. I guess I better start stocking up on plastic shoes and get my beret back out of the closet. You know, just when they get rid of the damn thing...

Sharky
26 July 2011, 15:09
It's a DC maxim......you either pay in money or you pay in time, but either way you're gonna pay. Meaning, the closer you live to DC, the less the commute time but the more expensive. Further away means longer commutes but less expensive. I live in Chantilly/Fairfax AO, which isnt bad. On a good day that would take you about 35-45 min each way to the Pentagon, depending on what time you hit the road. After 6AM stand by for the mad rush. After about 2pm coming home it's the same thing. That's pretty much true across the board if you live in VA.

You should check out the Haymarket area. That's where I will be moving in NOV. Very nice AO. Not crazy expensive yet. Some of the best schools in VA.

As for sick call, they have a clinic in the Pentagon or you can go to Ft Belvoir.

RGR.Montcalm
26 July 2011, 17:12
Are you looking to buy or rent?

If you not buying then you may want to consider applying for housing on Fort Belvior; my son is there and the housing is recently remodeled/built. He is taking the metro to Georgetown (he's doing his Master's on the Army dime there;)) then will take it to the Pentagon after he finishes the degree.

He had looked around at housing and decided that living on post was his best option...

B 2/75
26 July 2011, 17:23
Are you looking to buy or rent?

If you not buying then you may want to consider applying for housing on Fort Belvior; ..... * SNIP * ....
He had looked around at housing and decided that living on post was his best option...

If you can get on onto Post Housing that is by far the best option, even considering the ass-pain involved in putting up with having big brother looking over your shoulder. You'll have a much safer / quieter / cleaner / nicer environment than nearly anywhere off post, especially considering that as a military puke you won't be looking for 3K/month housing, which is about what you'd have to pay to get as nice a neighborhood.

Driving to the Metro each morning from Post isn't too bad a thing, call it 15 minutes. Gov't might be able to offset your Metro costs, too.

Open Channel D
26 July 2011, 17:37
This is my 3rd (and last) tour in DC. Previously lived in Alexandria (close in), Ashburn (out by Dulles) and now Annandale (3.1 miles from work, which is TMA (Tricare Management Activity). I have a 4Bd, 3 bath home in a nice neighborhood for $2300/month. I'm in the Falls Church school district and the schools are great.

Traffic on the beltway is getting worse due to the construction. Haymarket is a great place to live and raise kids, but be forewarned, you will be spending about 900 hours a year on the road for commuting.

My recommendation to most folks, especially with school being a priority, is the Burke or Annandale area. Burke is better for kids from a social standpoint, but schools are about the same.

Your PCM will likely be the clinic at the Pentagon, but your family can enroll at either Ft. Belvoir or Fairfax Tricare Clinic in the Merrifield area. I could not recommend Ft. Myer or NNMC Bethesda.

26 July 2011, 20:58
It's a DC maxim......you either pay in money or you pay in time, but either way you're gonna pay. Meaning, the closer you live to DC, the less the commute time but the more expensive. Further away means longer commutes but less expensive. I live in Chantilly/Fairfax AO, which isnt bad. On a good day that would take you about 35-45 min each way to the Pentagon, depending on what time you hit the road. After 6AM stand by for the mad rush. After about 2pm coming home it's the same thing. That's pretty much true across the board if you live in VA.

You should check out the Haymarket area. That's where I will be moving in NOV. Very nice AO. Not crazy expensive yet. Some of the best schools in VA.

As for sick call, they have a clinic in the Pentagon or you can go to Ft Belvoir.

Damn right. I couldn't imagine working in DC and living way out here. I have friends near Fredericksburg that work off The Mall. They leave home at 0500ish and don't get back till 1900 or later depending on traffic. IMO, the only way to make the commute from the far out counties while working in DC is the VRE. I live in Stafford County and the VRE takes about an hour from here into downtown IIRC.

If you can get on onto Post Housing that is by far the best option, even considering the ass-pain involved in putting up with having big brother looking over your shoulder. You'll have a much safer / quieter / cleaner / nicer environment than nearly anywhere off post, especially considering that as a military puke you won't be looking for 3K/month housing, which is about what you'd have to pay to get as nice a neighborhood.

Driving to the Metro each morning from Post isn't too bad a thing, call it 15 minutes. Gov't might be able to offset your Metro costs, too.

Agreed (we lived in base housing the entire time we were on AD, except while we were waiting for base housing), but one thing to be careful with in the DC area is what school system they will put your kids in. Not all of the bases in the NCR have base schools. I know Quantico does and I "think" Belvoir does, but (as I understand it), if you end up in Bolling or Anacostia base housing, the kids are supposed to go to DC public schools in SE. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. As I recall, a lot of people with kids that live on those bases pay to send their to a private school, so you'd have to add that cost into your budget.

smoked
26 July 2011, 22:41
Kingstowne in Alexandria, VA. Close to the Beltway, 95, Old Town Alexandria, Belvoir and close enough to the Pentagon and DC. Get up early and get done early. Everything you need is minutes away: parks, restaurants, entertainment, fitness centers, bike/running paths, and a "town center."

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 00:22
+1 on Kingstowne. Shirlington in Arlington would be another viable option. If you decide to move further out of the city, I'd say Herndon and Chantilly would be the best bang for the buck. Haymarket is a great place to live, alas even further out (easily could be over an hour commute).

And definitely x1000 on what 0699 said about DC public schools. Do not let it happen to your children under no circumstances.

KidA
27 July 2011, 00:41
+1And definitely x1000 on what 0699 said about DC public schools. Do not let it happen to your children under no circumstances.

He said schools in SE. DC schools are turning around - many Virginians and Marylanders are (illegally) sending their kids here now. DC's expensive as hell though but I can be to the Pentagon driving in 20 mins, metro in 25.

If you don't like to commute, seriously consider how far out you want to live. With a wife and kids your QOL will suffer greatly. 2 hours of your life (unpaid) just to get to a job every single day and that's if you're lucky.

DC has changed. If you don't live IN DC carefully consider regurgitating talking points that were true in the 80s. Last I heard crime rates were higher in the VA counties and the housing market took the dive that the DC market did not. There are also loads of charter schools in DC. It's a city lifestyle, sure, but the vast majority of DC is residential housing - and I can walk to coffee shops, grocery stores, Target, TJ Maxx, bars, restaurants and can drive to movies (or take Metro) w/in 10 minutes.

DC neighborhoods can vary block by block (just like Fairfax 'hoods). There are lots of families with kids in my neighborhood - not sure where they send their kids to school though. I'm up in the Petworth area. Brookland is gorgeous (single family homes with yards, garages, etc) and average priced.

You won't be able to afford Georgetown, Glover Park, Cleveland Park, or most of Capitol Hill, not unless you're looking at spending 700K plus. Many homes in good neighborhoods to be had in the 300K range provided you have credit to secure a home loan. Rents are high all across the city but again is it worth a few hundred bucks less a month in exchange for 40-50 hours a month driving? That's a week's pay.

Bearcat06
27 July 2011, 01:21
DC schools are turning around

From reading the Post, I'd still clear the hell away from them....but that's just me.

DC has changed.

I'd like to know where... ?When I left 2.5 years ago, it was still a shithole and certainly seemed like that 2 months ago.....

Last I heard crime rates were higher in the VA counties

Would like to know where and/or see the stats on that. I was just back in DC for my Company 2 months ago and hit my old hood....and never felt unsafe at night walking around....unlike in a lot of areas of DC....

and the housing market took the dive that the DC market did not.

Yes it did..... Ex lost her ass on her Townhouse in Fairfax County when she sold to hook up with Hubby #3.......

and I can walk to coffee shops, grocery stores, Target, TJ Maxx, bars,restaurants and can drive to movies (or take Metro) w/in 10 minutes.

I could do that in Crystal City/Pentagon City/and out in Kingstowne....without any issues.....

Bearcat06
27 July 2011, 01:22
Kingstowne in Alexandria, VA.

Plus 1. Ex and I lived there and it was nice....and seemed nice still when I was out there 2 months ago.

Ex's youngest still goes to Hayfield High and she has no issues with the school or the district.......

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 08:54
DC neighborhoods can vary block by block (just like Fairfax 'hoods). There are lots of families with kids in my neighborhood - not sure where they send their kids to school though. I'm up in the Petworth area. Brookland is gorgeous (single family homes with yards, garages, etc) and average priced.

Petworth got cleaned up a lot comparing to what it was 10 years ago, I agree. Columbia Heights isn't bad either, IMO, out of affordable DC neighborhoods.

B 2/75
27 July 2011, 09:10
I live in Kingstowne. Very nicely situated unless you work way up in Chantilly or something like that.

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 09:45
Also, I would not be completely discouraged from looking at houses around Pentagon City, Crystal City, and even Falls Church areas. My coworker just bought a beautiful house in Falls Church and got a great deal - the owners were moving out of the country and wanted to make a quick sale.

CombatWombat
27 July 2011, 09:49
Thanks for all the input, I'm jotting down the trends. Thanks, all.

I am looking into housing at Belvoir as a possible option as well as the mentioned VA neighborhoods. My wife is not a 'city person' and she'd prefer the most 'burb like experience possible. I'm doing some expectations management and it'll be fine, particularly if I can nail down a good school district (momma bear and her cubs, y'know). We have 4 kidlets, ranging from 10 to brand new.

I'm thinking about buying, but given that my tour may be as short as 3-4 years, I'm not sure if that's a good call. Renting is an option, but I am somewhat retarded in the need to not have a landlord. I could get over it, though, particularly when I look at how ridiculous expensive housing is. If I buy, I don't think I can go over $400K at the highest.

I would most prefer to commute on the metro and not deal with cars and parking. I am scared to death that I'm going to be away from the family for 14 hours a day with the commute and considering this is supposed to be my 'dwell time' that's not ideal.

Thanks for the advice.

Bearcat06
27 July 2011, 10:19
if I can nail down a good school district (momma bear and her cubs, y'know).

I'm still a firm believer that Fairfax County has the best school district around....

The ex has no issues with them and had one kid go thru (Hayfield) and is @ Old Dominon and the other one is blowing out test scores and will have her pick of schools in a few years....

I was truly amazed coming from the Midwest to see their facilities, their commitment to helping the kids out, their progressive thinking of using technology to help the kids out, and where the kids graduating scored test wise and where they were heading to college......

Nothing like it from where my silly ass is from....not even close....

Good luck.....

KidA
27 July 2011, 10:28
I could do that in Crystal City/Pentagon City/and out in Kingstowne....without any issues.....

Never had a single issue in 13 years of living here and walking pretty much everywhere, and I moved to "ghetto" neighborhoods because they were cheaper and the black folks a lot friendlier than the two income white lawyers who barricaded themselves behind their doors and ran to their cars to drive to the office every morning.

Guess it depends on your outlook. I can't stand the box store look and feel of Crystal City/Pentagon City. And everywhere I look in DC I see people walking, running, having dinner on sidewalk cafes, etc.

Again, 13 years here - never have I had a problem. Hell my back gate is unlocked, the lock on the back door is busted and the deadbolt on the front door hasn't worked in 2 years. Most of the time I forget to lock my front door. I know all my neighbors, hang with the old dudes in the alley behind my house, etc.

Again, guess it depends on how you look at things, but I, personally, have never had a problem...

And we don't have MS-13 like you suburbanites do ;)

Bearcat06
27 July 2011, 10:38
Never had a single issue in 13 years of living here and walking pretty much everywhere, and I moved to "ghetto" neighborhoods because they were cheaper and the black folks a lot friendlier than the two income white lawyers who barricaded themselves behind their doors and ran to their cars to drive to the office every morning.

Guess it depends on your outlook. I can't stand the box store look and feel of Crystal City/Pentagon City. And everywhere I look in DC I see people walking, running, having dinner on sidewalk cafes, etc.

Again, 13 years here - never have I had a problem. Hell my back gate is unlocked, the lock on the back door is busted and the deadbolt on the front door hasn't worked in 2 years. Most of the time I forget to lock my front door. I know all my neighbors, hang with the old dudes in the alley behind my house, etc.

Again, guess it depends on how you look at things, but I, personally, have never had a problem...

And we don't have MS-13 like you suburbanites do ;)

Meh....I've always had issues when I was in DC....and hate the hell out of that damn place but know in due time, my silly ass will be back there for a while if I'm not careful.. I worked @ 9th and Penn and off of Neb Ave at there were always issues up in those parts of town....and they are supposed to be the "good part."

I guess I'd perfer to be able to pack a CCW if I so desire and defend myself if something happened when I wasn't working as a FLEO. Just me I guess because you can't do that in DC.

I never, ever had any issues in Arlington. I think the entire time I lived there.....there were 3 murders. Hardly a crime spree.

I use to drive down Columbia Pike and Route 1 at all hours of the day/night and never had issues like I did in DC..... I knew from working with Fairfax County Police that there were supposedly a ton of bad illegals there but yet they seemed to never bother anyone but themselves.

It is what it is. If I was moving to work at the Puzzle Palace.....I'd be hanging out in Arlington or Fairfax County were the crime rate is low, the commute isn't bad, and the school districts are some of the better ones in the US....and a lot better than the ones in DC according to recent Post articles........

At least out there, the drivers won't run over scooter riders.....unless its one of us going after you..... :biggrin:

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 10:55
I lived in a "ghetto" area of DC before. I took the bus to get to Benning Road metro on a daily basis. I was never harassed or approached by anyone in an inappropriate manner. People that I dealt with were friendly, I never had anything stolen from my house, so overall there were no issues. However: within a year there were two murders right by my house. Also, there was a crackhouse a few blocks away that obviously attracted sketchy public. DC went a long way in improving some of its neighborhoods, but I would not say that the city is fully transformed. A lot of areas are still unsafe - again, the crime situation is better than before, but is far from great.

KidA
27 July 2011, 11:12
DC went a long way in improving some of its neighborhoods, but I would not say that the city is fully transformed. A lot of areas are still unsafe - again, the crime situation is better than before, but is far from great.

Well that's why you don't live in those areas, same as the neighborhoods you wouldn't live in in Arlington, etc, :biggrin:

I can't recall the last murder in NW - or if there were any they were gang on gang violence, and shit, I applaud that. If our murder rate was 5,000 people a year and it was all gang violence? Fuck yes - let's try for 6,000 a year next time people! Step up your fucking A Game.

The "crime rate" in't even on the high lists anymore (http://www.walletpop.com/photos/dangerous-cities/ - DC Isn't even found on the list, yet "safe" places like Alabama, and Tennessee are) but that rate is occurring in pockets of the city where you DONT live, and most long-term residents won't live there, either. It is, essentially, the "wrong" side of the tracks.

As I said, city life isn't for everyone, but if you were in Brookland it would rival any suburban neighborhood anywhere around, without the traffic - You can walk from your two story with walk out basement and two car garage Brookland home on a hill (and every street has sidewalks) to the Giant grocery, the Home Depot, and a TJMaxx within 10 minutes, and drive it in 4.

I just get irked when people who don't live here, like I do, re-state old info and stereotypical stuff about the City that ws true 20 years ago.

I mean our housing stock didn't dive and it's expensive as hell to live here for a reason, and trust me, crack heads aren't buying 650,000 homes ;)

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 11:34
Your post

DC is very, very neighborhood specific. Brookland is not bad (I prefer Takoma Park, but that's just me). But then you have Trinidad right down the street, and it is a completely different picture. Just for the record, DC is trending -11% down in homicides this year and is hardly the nation's murder capital anymore (http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,Q,543308,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,%7C, .asp).

As far as school system goes, sorry, KidA, I have a couple of friends, whose kids attend public schools in the District, and they are not pleased with the quality of education at all. Fairfax public schools have much better ratings, as far as I can tell from the Internet sources.

I like Pentagon City because I can walk to work :biggrin: Can't beat that!

B 2/75
27 July 2011, 12:00
Crime is found in all areas, and it will come looking for you whenever you least expect it, District or MD or VA... doesn't matter.

Hell, there was once a young woman who got beat up following a SOCdrink in the Crystal City area... she wasn't with our group, but was partying with us in the same bar. Chose to walk to her car alone fairly late, and got jumped.

You just never know.

FWIW, I'd never live in the District. No way.

Bearcat06
27 July 2011, 12:25
I like Pentagon City because I can walk to work :biggrin: Can't beat that!

I liked it because my silly ass could walk 2 block and hop on a metro....and cart my ass into work on the Gov's dime.....

Also liked it because of all the stuff to do there. Fashion Center, Pentagon Row, Costco, Harris Teeter, etc....all right there......

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 12:28
I liked it because my silly ass could walk 2 block and hop on a metro....and cart my ass into work on the Gov's dime.....

Also liked it because of all the stuff to do there. Fashion Center, Pentagon Row, Costco, Harris Teeter, etc....all right there......

Not to mention Farmer's Markets on Tuesdays, free open-air movie festival on Mondays, free open-air concerts on Thursdays...

smoked
27 July 2011, 12:59

I am looking into housing at Belvoir as a possible option as well as the mentioned VA neighborhoods. My wife is not a 'city person' and she'd prefer the most 'burb like experience possible. I'm doing some expectations management and it'll be fine, particularly if I can nail down a good school district (momma bear and her cubs, y'know). We have 4 kidlets, ranging from 10 to brand new.

I'm thinking about buying, but given that my tour may be as short as 3-4 years, I'm not sure if that's a good call. Renting is an option, but I am somewhat retarded in the need to not have a landlord. I could get over it, though, particularly when I look at how ridiculous expensive housing is. If I buy, I don't think I can go over $400K at the highest.

I would most prefer to commute on the metro and not deal with cars and parking. I am scared to death that I'm going to be away from the family for 14 hours a day with the commute and considering this is supposed to be my 'dwell time' that's not ideal.

Thanks for the advice.

Your wife may like the 'burb feel of Kingstowne and the schools are fine. (I graduated from Hayfield so lower your expectations a little. :smile:)

If you do decide to buy, www.franklymls.com is the most up-to-date listing site. If you need a realtor, let me know. I know 1,892,976 of them.

And, several of us here used Jeff Smith (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=86468&highlight=jeff+smith) for our lending agent. He's top notch.

KidA
27 July 2011, 14:09
Not to mention Farmer's Markets on Tuesdays, free open-air movie festival on Mondays, free open-air concerts on Thursdays...

Pshaw - Eastern Market, Florida Avenue Market, Dupont Market, Georgetown Market, Columbia Heights, Mt. Pleasant - I can't throw a rock without hitting a fresh farmer's market in this city - and there are open air concerts and movies a bicycle's ride on every night of the week :)

And Trinidad is about 2-3 miles from Brookland. You have to cross Rhode Island Ave, then drive 2 more miles (crossing over the bridge crossing the MARC and VRE and Amtrak Rail yard), take a left on Florida Ave and get down to Bladensburg Ave before you get to Trinidad... :eek:

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 14:21
Pshaw - Eastern Market, Florida Avenue Market, Dupont Market, Georgetown Market, Columbia Heights, Mt. Pleasant - I can't throw a rock without hitting a fresh farmer's market in this city - and there are open air concerts and movies a bicycle's ride on every night of the week :)

And Trinidad is about 2-3 miles from Brookland. You have to cross Rhode Island Ave, then drive 2 more miles (crossing over the bridge crossing the MARC and VRE and Amtrak Rail yard), take a left on Florida Ave and get down to Bladensburg Ave before you get to Trinidad... :eek:

2-3 miles is within walking distance in my little world :tongue: But really, my point was that unless we are talking Georgetown and other fancy places, the rest of the city is a patchwork of good, decent, tolerable, and bad neighborhoods. Few years ago you could simply say "NW is good, everything else is bad". Now it's intermixed. Brookland is okay, Fort Rotten is yucky IMO, Takoma Park is nice, and so on.

KidA
27 July 2011, 14:31
2-3 miles is within walking distance in my little world

Just walk in the other direction and end up on the Catholic U Campus and then Columbia Heights if you walk past the hospital center and the Old Soldier's Home ;) And you can stop off at Monroe and 11th for an amazing Ice Cream cone...and one of the coolest independent hardware stores you've ever seen... ;)

27 July 2011, 18:54

Thanks for the advice.

If you don't mind the Metro, consider the VRE. Allows you to live further out. From my area (Stafford County) it takes about an hour to get to The Mall. Pretty reliable, IMO more reliable than traffic on 95N.

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 19:45
If you don't mind the Metro, consider the VRE. Allows you to live further out. From my area (Stafford County) it takes about an hour to get to The Mall. Pretty reliable, IMO more reliable than traffic on 95N.

That's a very good option too. You can catch VRE to Crystal City metro and then it will be quick two stops to Pentagon. VRE is a very smooth ride... you can catch up on all your reading :biggrin:

KidA
27 July 2011, 20:20
That's a very good option too. You can catch VRE to Crystal City metro and then it will be quick two stops to Pentagon. VRE is a very smooth ride... you can catch up on all your reading :biggrin:

My project manager is on the VRE - he's always f'ing late because of delays. He's definitely on the Fredrickburg line and not the Manassas line. I never had delays when I was banging chicks in Manassas and taking the train back in the next morning.

Then again he could be sleeping late and making excuses...

There are a lot of options - if you can get close to any Metro or Train it will ease your frustration level from not driving but can still take time. Don't live on the Red Line Metro, ever. Ever Ever.

Lots of people bicycle to the metro stop too and then lock up their bikes and head into the office, so that's an option.

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 20:29
There are a lot of options - if you can get close to any Metro or Train it will ease your frustration level from not driving but can still take time. Don't live on the Red Line Metro, ever. Ever Ever.

x1000 re: the Red line. One word: singletracking. Red Line is the epitome of mismanagement, IMO.

KidA, your PM has to be bullshitting, at least on some of the ocassions. I have at least 20 people in my office taking the Fredericksburg line, including our director. None of them complain about recurring delays and they all get to the office between 0700 and 0800.

KidA
27 July 2011, 20:40
x1000 re: the Red line. One word: singletracking. Red Line is the epitome of mismanagement, IMO. .

Yep, and that's the rich white people line, too. The rich white people and we write letters to the Post line. It has always sucked though, it's way way overdue for repairs...isn't it the oldest line there is, back when they literally had to bring in workers from the suburbs because no one lived in DC?

I'm on the poor black people line (Green/yellow) and it's amazing, though it's turning into the too-much-disposable-income but not exactly "rich" honkey line, too.

I think I may move to Baltimore.

GirlwithaGlock
27 July 2011, 20:45
I think I may move to Baltimore.

Your commute will suck balls! I-95 in the morning? Seriously? You just want to be closer to your girlfriend ;)

Ronin8002
28 July 2011, 10:19
If you would prefer not to buy, there are a good number of nice town homes for rent in the Kingstowne 22315 zip code...try www.militarybyowner.com and use that zip code in the advanced search options

CombatWombat
28 July 2011, 12:14
OK, Belvoir is out for now. 9-18 month waiting list. I'll get on the list but we'll see what happens in the interim. Definitely starting to home in on the train lines as a key terrain feature. So far I can either get a dump in Falls Church to fix up, but be down the street from work, or some fairly decent places in Springfield, southern end of Alexandria, and Annadale on the outside of the beltway. Or I can go way out and get some very nice stuff in the Haymarket and surrounding area. Given the 0600-1800 baseline workday, though, I'm starting to hedge towards shorter commutes.

Thanks to all for the help. If you've sent me a PM, I've got it and will be in touch when I get on the ground and have some specific questions to fire off.

KidA
28 July 2011, 13:41
Oh and if you are looking to buy, use www.redfin.com - pretty damned good search tool and you can zero in on zipcodes, etc, and get rid of anything not specifically tailored to what you're seeking.

Sharky
28 July 2011, 15:26
Given the 0600-1800 baseline workday, though, I'm starting to hedge towards shorter commutes.

That's the problem. So does most everyone else. Can you do the alternative work schedule thing? A lot of places here will allow their folks to come in early and leave early. If you can start at 6a and get out at 2p its not so bad. Any later than that though and you start getting into some serious traffic.

DC Photog
28 July 2011, 16:16
DC went a long way in improving some of its neighborhoods, but I would not say that the city is fully transformed.

Compared to when?

DC Photog
28 July 2011, 16:24
I can't recall the last murder in NW - or if there were any they were gang on gang violence, and shit, I applaud that.

What? Really? Where are you getting your news again?

I just get irked when people who don't live here, like I do, re-state old info and stereotypical stuff about the City that ws true 20 years ago.

That is annoying, but certain stereotypes still have plenty of truth to them and especially after the last election cycle.

GirlwithaGlock
28 July 2011, 16:29
Compared to when?

I can only go back 10 years. I think that overall the city looks noticeably better. I am sure that the difference is even more stark if you look back 20 or 30 years.

CarbineM1
28 July 2011, 17:10
My wife and I both work in and out of DC (she does full time but has flex hours). We bought in Stafford Co. last year and have not regretted it once, well maybe she has on Friday (on I-95) BUT I can go fishing, camping, hunting or shooting anytime, without having to mess with traffic on the weekends.

The schools are pretty darn good as well and we have neighbors that represent just about every agency and branch of the military whom do the same.

Personally I am glad we decided on living this far out. If I had a DC 9-5 job, not a chance in hell.

B2

KidA
29 July 2011, 10:29
watch out for that serial slasher in Fairfax, the guy going to malls and department stores and slashing women with a knife or razorblade...

stay classy, suburbs!

GirlwithaGlock
29 July 2011, 11:18
watch out for that serial slasher in Fairfax, the guy going to malls and department stores and slashing women with a knife or razorblade...

stay classy, suburbs!

Pretty crazy, huh?

I'll be honest, I wanted to find a decent comeback and went to WaPo's crime section. Apparently it was a peaceful night in the Nation's Capital, so this time you win.

DC Photog
29 July 2011, 11:59
I can only go back 10 years. I think that overall the city looks noticeably better. I am sure that the difference is even more stark if you look back 20 or 30 years.
Yea, you don't go back far enough. Most of the city is fully transformed compared to the 80's and 90's that earned this town the shitty rep it deserved.