PDA

View Full Version : SEAL recruitment advice

Dan1987
7 November 2011, 13:54
Hello, I am 24 years old. Almost 25 and have been pursuing a career in Special Operations since I was 17. I was ready to join the marines at 18, but they were not taking anyone with a GED at the time. Two months later the recruiter calls me and tells me they'll take me, but in that period I received 2 DUI's thus ruining my chances of enlistment. I attended Georgia Military College for a little over a year to get the required credits to enter any branch of service and finished up my probation by the time I was 22. I have since then been the manager of over 50 workers and a little over a year ago started training for the SEAL PST test.

I met a swim coach here in Savannah and he liked my story and instead of charging me $50 an hour for lessons he instructed me for free. Once I felt I was ready I went to the Navy recruiters and they told me even with my work record, job ethic, the DUI's would hinder me from entering into the SEAL program. I returned the next day and spoke with three more recruiters. None would give me the time of day but eventually they asked how I might do on the PST. I told them to give it to me right now so I can show that I would perform. They contacted a guy, possibly a SEAL motivator. He goes around and tests all the DEPers and set me up an appointment to meet with him at Hunter for an interview and possibly swim. I showed up early for the date and the recruiters said they couldn't take me to meet with him. I was devastated and contacted the Air Force.

The Air Force recruiter said he was giving out waivers all day for Spec Ops candidates and in fact that's the only waivers they can currently offer in the AF. I Took the PAST for Combat Control and here are my scores

UW swims- Passed

500 meter- 11:50

1.5 miler- 10:15

Pullups- 10

Pushups- 70

Situps-64

I'm not trying to brag, my numbers should have been higher but I did not break in my routine before the test and swam the day before so I know I could have scored higher. He was impressed and told me I was the only smoker that has ever passed the PAST under him. It made me feel good inside hearing that because he knew I gave it my all.

Everything was good to go, I scored 57 on the ASVAB and the waiver was about to be sent off for CCT. I asked if it was ok to marry my girlfriend or to wait till after BMT. He said it wouldn't be an issue either way, but there was a miscommunication somewhere. Once we married and I was sending off my last bit of court documents he said that the two children she has joint custody of from a previous marriage would be over the limit of the maximum amount of dependents the Air Force can take. So now I'm disqualified. I wrote a letter to a senator and received one back from the AF at the Pentagon basically telling me the rules are there for a reason.

I was crushed, contacted 2 other recruiters. They all said the same thing. I've been trying to maintain my fitness standards and work, while researching my other options. The army told me I did not have to count the children as my dependents if I did not want to, but why does the Air Force required that? Am I being jostled around because of the process? I know no one wants anything to do with me and my record, but it's 6 years ago. I am not a habitual violator or criminal. Is there a Navy recruiter out there who can tell me if there is a way for me to enter into the SEAL program or even with a waiver and the dependents is that impossible? I apologize for the long post, it's hard trying to pursue something constantly when answers from recruiters are vague and some things are shrouded in mystery. My poor wife all I do is talk about it with her and I have no friends who share the same passion as me. I don't want to give up, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Matchanu
7 November 2011, 14:09
Is there a Navy recruiter out there who can tell me if there is a way for me to enter into the SEAL program or even with a waiver and the dependents is that impossible?

I just wanted to filter out everything else and cut to your question.

Dan1987
7 November 2011, 17:13
I just wanted to filter out everything else and cut to your question.

yep that's it.

jw
10 November 2011, 17:46
Dan, I am currently a NSO/NSW Coordinator. Right now with the Navy drawing down waivers are few and far between. That being said, The Warrior Challenge programs are more likely than others to get them approved, however two DUIs are a lot. In addition, your current scores meet the minimum,standard but are not competitive for an SO contract.

Dan1987
10 November 2011, 17:57
Dan, I am currently a NSO/NSW Coordinator. Right now with the Navy drawing down waivers are few and far between. That being said, The Warrior Challenge programs are more likely than others to get them approved, however two DUIs are a lot. In addition, your current scores meet the minimum,standard but are not competitive for an SO contract.

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware they could have been better. I can currently run 5 Miles in under 40 minutes and my swim time is much lower. Probably close to iron man standards but I have yet to test myself on that scale.

What did you mean by Warrior Challenge programs?

Frog
11 November 2011, 07:36
So you are almost 25, physically weak to average, smoke, only have a GED, married with 2 kids and have 2 DUI's on your record. . .

Just how competitive do you think that makes you?

Guy
11 November 2011, 20:40
Recommend that you try just getting into ANY service first then, trying out for some SOF unit....

Good luck!

Specboatteam
17 November 2011, 12:13
Deleted by Cass. Wrong words from wrong source.

jw
18 November 2011, 10:49
What did you mean by Warrior Challenge programs?

The current name given to the SEAL/EOD/SWCC/Diver/AIRR recruiting program.

Your 5 mile time does not matter in getting a contract. The times to look at are 8:37-9:35 in the swim; 72-91 Pushups; 75-87 situps, 12-18 pullups, 8:57 to 10:06 run. This range was the average for all programs combined. SO was the lower time/higher #'s in each catagory. Saying it again, this was the average time, not the hot runner. For anyone to take notice with your background you need to put up some incredible #s. The best advice given was to see if you can get in any branch, develop a good reputation through hard work and then try to cross over. With the #s of fleet assessions being very low right now, the Navy might not meet your desires long term.