PDA

View Full Version : "Nous Defions"

lar23
26 November 2002, 23:50
What does "Nous Defions" mean and what Special Forces groups sport the logo? There was a supposed SF soldier on the cover of "American Heritage" magazine with the logo on his hat.

Pvt. Tentpeg
27 November 2002, 00:01
Originally posted by lar23
What does "Nous Defions" mean and what Special Forces groups sport the logo? There was a supposed SF soldier on the cover of "American Heritage" magazine with the logo on his hat.

"Nous Defions" is French for "We Defy". That logo doesn't belong to any one group. It was the logo for the old SOT. It is mostly associated with CQB teams/companies.

yotanka
27 November 2002, 00:17
Welcome Tentpeg!

De Oppresso Liber,
Jennifer Martinez sends

B 2/75
27 November 2002, 01:41
Give the man a kewpi doll, er, um, I mean a cigar, no, uh, A HAND. That's it, give the man a big hand. :D

Sapper12B
27 November 2002, 02:05
Hey Tent,

When did you pass thru Ft. Wood?

Meridian
27 November 2002, 09:54
I guess, 18C, 18F doesn't get the respect it used to around here. :rolleyes:

RPG2Gunner
27 November 2002, 12:52
Did the magazine article identify the man in the picture??

This thread has caused me to look for my "NOUS DEFIONS" patch. Lo, and behold, I found it!!! A little worse for wear, but still intact.:)

Toby

RPG2Gunner
27 November 2002, 14:39
During the last year (83) ODA-522 was deployed at Mott Lake as SOT instructors, we got entrepenurial. We had meebe 250 "NOUS DEFIONS" patches made, and sold 'em for $5/piece. Ending up selling a bunch of 'em.

Higher HQ wa always trying to get us to lose the logo, but we never did. We had a great big logo painted on PSP on our helipad. Ist Bn, 5th SFGA CO, LTC William X. Knowlton was always after us to paint over it. He dint like us much anyway, cuz we were sorta outta sight, outta mind, until a Big-wig came out to see a demo.

Ah, the good ol' days. The best deal goin' was our location - some 20 miles away from any flag pole. The closest unit was the folks out at Cp Mackall.

Toby - still trying to recapture the fun days of my youth. Hell, I was only 32 years old then

ODA 564
27 November 2002, 19:02
T-P

You KNOW I remember that name...

Wally; "Hello LT, welcome to the Battalion! Come in and I'll give you my newcomer's brief...'

Me: (exasperated) "Sir, I've been here for 18 months."

Wally "Really! Now sit down and here's my newcomer's brief.'

Me "Sir, you given it to me 15 times..."

Wally: "Its always good to get a new officer in the Battalion! Let me tell you..."

RPG2Gunner
27 November 2002, 20:55
Originally posted by Tracy

Five Bucks?!! I wuz robbed...

Toby, besides "No Balls", remember LTC "Kill Russians" Wallenborn and the Colorado Massacre? He had some rather 'interesting' senior rater reviews for EERs and OERs...

Was Ray Magsby and Skip Reid out there during your time?

Tracy-

I dare say that was 5 bucks well spent. I bet we could fetch a mighty pretty penny on E-Bay these days for that patch.

Wally was before my time in 1/5SFG, as prior to that I was on ODA 563 in 2/5SFG, from Jul 74 - JAN 80. Louis Lepage worked a deal with Larry Strawder for me to go to Mott Lake in Jan 80.

I know Ray Magsby well, but never served with him. Guys on ODA 522 when I got there was CPT Wayne Maynard, 1LT Steve Aspera. Rock Meyers, Tommy Bednar, Brad Arvidson and a cuppola kids. Later on, I took over as Tm Sgt, then Gilbert Woods, then Don Ringley. Good guys. I understand the last tm ldr I served under on that team, CPT Mark latham, is now a General Officer. Whodathunkit!!!!!!

The other 1/5SFG team out there with us had Paul Poole, Sandy Ballard, Mike Reynolds, Gene Whitley, Ben Wotzizname (the main Sniper guru), et al.

Ah, the memories.

Toby

armybrat04
28 November 2002, 04:05
Wasn't Paul Poole one of the original Son-tay raiders?????

RPG2Gunner
28 November 2002, 13:51
Tracy-

Sandy Ballard was not the student of Echanis, that was a dude on the 7thSFG team. CRS, but just recently on these pages his name was mentioned.

Mike Belanger was on my team, he was an outstanding arteest, but he and another guy did shit that the rest of us didn't like to do like range/structure maintenance. That worked out well, cuz as long as the up keep was done, I didn't get too excited about hair cuts and stuff like that.

I always thought Larry Strawder was a good mofo. I thought he looked out for the troops.

Tiny Young left the team just before I got there.

Brat - Paul Poole was indeed on the Son Tay Raid. Here's a little of what it meant to be in Paul's world. We had a class at SOT that was comprised of acuppola Ranger teams and one SFODA frrom Bad Tolz. The Rangers were always so much fun, cuz they were so jacked up to be there.

Anyway, a bunch of us instructors were hanging around the messhall just before chow. The Rangers were lined up outside waiting to come in. But because of the relaxed atmosphere, they were smokin and jokin in line - not at all what you'd expect. Of course, WE didn't give a shit, but Paul wanted to yank their chain. So he said to all of us inside, "Watch this." Then he stuck his head outside and said:"Gimme 5!!".

We could see out the window, and as a group, the Rangers came to parade rest, eyes locked to the front, standing tall. Me and Sandy Ballard were rolling on the floor. The real cool thing is the A team members in line just kept on keeping on, hands in pockets, cigs in mouth, smokin and jokin.

BWAHAHAHA.

Toby

ODA 564
29 November 2002, 11:03
My Paul Poole story.

First day on the pistol range, and Paul is lecturing us about the discipline necessary to become the kind of pistol shots he was going to train us to be.

Coffee mug in one hand and cigarette dangling from his lip, he proceed to warn us how the use of tobacco or caffeine would screw up your eyesight, nerves, etc. Then he turned around and shot a perfect 25 yard, rapid fire 7x string with a typical arms room M1911A1.

I turned down jumpmaster school to go to SOT with a combined team (533 and 534 - as the LT I was 'in charge of those characters' as CPT Nichols and SGM Ferbee put it... right... ).

We had a Speedy 4 (sorry, CRS) that should have won the 'most improved shooter' (kid actually went from never firing a pistol to shooting awesome 25 and 50 yard scores), except that some 'gentleman' (a buck sergeant) from the 7th sandbagged his scores deliberately in the first week so he could 'win'.

And we had a genius 11B on one of the other student teams that didn't listen and improved his trigger release on his M1911A1 not by polishing his sear / disconnector surfaces and bending his mainspring, but by stoning the crap out of his sear / disconnector engagement surfaces... ever see a 'full auto' M1911A1 that slam fires (he didn't clean it...)? One round in the range bench, one in the dirt right in front of him, four rounds in an arc heading skyward, and one into the roof of the range line... Hero was gone in sixty seconds.

T-P mentioned 'the Twins'... Ronnie and Donnie freakin' Brown. Ronnie is okay, but Donnie... drop them in Russia and they'd be running the Russian mafia in a week (and that's not a good thing).

My SOT mug is sitting on my desk.

RPG2Gunner
29 November 2002, 14:48
Quote-

"My SOT coffee mug is sitting on my desk"

Unquote

You gotta coffee Mug????

Goddammit, ripped off again!!!!

Actually, when team members left the team, we got in the habit of giving SOT plaques that we had made thru the SF museum as a going-away gift. Its really neato, with a big "NOUS DEFIONS" logo, and the names of all team members. That is displayed prominently on my "I love me" wall.

Toby

cmr
29 November 2002, 15:00
Well, Toby did you at least get the cool black SOT t-shirts? I've 2 of those and I never did the course. My exceptional driving skills when everyone else was 3 sheets to the wind got me those shirts. Considering some of the crap I put up with I should have gotten a mug too. ;)

RangerRuss
29 November 2002, 16:22
Originally posted by RPG2Gunner
Brat - Paul Poole was indeed on the Son Tay Raid. Here's a little of what it meant to be in Paul's world. We had a class at SOT that was comprised of acuppola Ranger teams and one SFODA frrom Bad Tolz. The Rangers were always so much fun, cuz they were so jacked up to be there.

Anyway, a bunch of us instructors were hanging around the messhall just before chow. The Rangers were lined up outside waiting to come in. But because of the relaxed atmosphere, they were smokin and jokin in line - not at all what you'd expect. Of course, WE didn't give a shit, but Paul wanted to yank their chain. So he said to all of us inside, "Watch this." Then he stuck his head outside and said:"Gimme 5!!".

We could see out the window, and as a group, the Rangers came to parade rest, eyes locked to the front, standing tall. Me and Sandy Ballard were rolling on the floor. The real cool thing is the A team members in line just kept on keeping on, hands in pockets, cigs in mouth, smokin and jokin.

BWAHAHAHA.

Toby

Fucker! I was in that class! Mar/Apr 81 timeframe. One team from 1-75, me straphanging with a bunch of prima donna "Special Action Force" platoon guys from 2-75, and the team from Tolz, who, BTW, also declined to participate in the 'king of the mats' celebration at the end of our little Mott Lake vacation. Told us we were taking this stuff waaaaaaay too seriously, then laughed an hour or two later as the medic out there sewed my ear back on my head after some First Batt fuck almost ripped it off. I thought I was in heaven, tho: UDT shorts, OD-green t-shirt, and all the ammo you could fire.

Ballard, Bednar and Arvidson (or Bad Brad as we used to call him) ring bells. Belanger, too, of course, because of those hooah pics he drew. Man, that was a great place to be.

Tracy, sounds like you've had your share of fun, too, dude. Me? I'm just glad I made it thru life w/only a few broken bones and no major perforations...

RangerRuss
29 November 2002, 16:38
Oh, and for the record, my last Nous Defions t-shirt now belongs to a lass who used to tend bar across from the VA hospital in Lexington. I thought my t-shirt for her bra was a worthwhile trade at the time, but it did raise some eyebrows the next day when she dropped me off to visit my Dad w/no shirt. Mom was suitably horrified, of course, but my brother wanted to enlist.

Ah, sweet bird of youth...

RPG2Gunner
29 November 2002, 20:25
Alas, the almost 20 years hence has seen me grow great of girth, and if I had any of those treasured shirts, they wouldn't fit.

I do recall swapping at least 2 shirts for - uh - other "considerations" from members of the opposite gender.

Toby - really trying to be PC here

At least when I was "negotiating" the "transactions", I didn't say my name was Walter Shumate.

cmr
29 November 2002, 20:41
Walt Shumate?!?! That's a name I haven't heard since I changed my own name. The names that go along with hearing that one are Jay, Vick and Ringo.

JimP
30 November 2002, 02:43
Man, you guys being back some memories!!! Paul Poole saying: "Allright girls..ket's go downrange and laugh at the targets".

During hand to hand in the mornming we would act all dicked up and ask Bednar just exactly what the technique was to heel-stomping someone's adams apple. He'd show us, and we'd shrug our shoulders and say we didn't understand. he show us again. Again, we'd shrug. he'd get all pissed off and start stomping the tires, the people, the sand, we just stepped away trying not to laugh our asses off. After about five minutes, he'd come back to reality and look around at us all laughing. Always thought he wasn't wrapped too tight.....:p

RangerRuss
30 November 2002, 03:56
Originally posted by RPG2Gunner
At least when I was "negotiating" the "transactions", I didn't say my name was Walter Shumate.

I didn't even know Walt back then. Nor would his name have helped me in the transaction I described earlier. She was clueless, which accounts for the fact that she took me home that night. But I was, too, so all's well that ends well.

But I came to know him later, tho. And was/am damned proud to have held hands w/him in freefall on many a jump. "Raeford Rent-a-base" we used to call ourselves...

Hell, even my old lady loved him. And his mustache. Especially the way he used to talk to his dog "Lieutenant"...

Jatekos
30 November 2002, 07:56
Good ole Poole-- I had my .45 and was getting ready to run the pistol course. Poole notices I forgot my earplugs but says nothing. Of course, after the first round I realized I didn't have them in. Next, I'm crawling through the large sewage pipe and a target pops up at the end. A .45 in a sewage pipe without earplugs sucks! I start crawling again and the target pops up again. BAM-crap! After the third time I was getting pretty deaf but I could still hear Poole outside the pipe laughing his ass off as I cussed after every round.

Pvt. Tentpeg
30 November 2002, 16:11
Originally posted by Sapper12B
Hey Tent,

When did you pass thru Ft. Wood?

Got my baggaged smoked during the summer of '87....lol. On a side note, I didn't think that "Nous Defions" would bring up so many old memories...lol.

RPG2Gunner
3 December 2002, 01:27
A lotta folks dint think much of Tommy Bednar, as he became the butt of a lotta jokes, but really he was a pretty neat guy, and a pretty good radio operator. You couldn't keep up with him on runs, and he loved to hump the ruck.

Toby - stickin up for my bro ovah heah, boss!!!!

TigerDad
18 July 2007, 14:35
Learned to shoot a pistol - finally, out at Mott Lake back in 1979. Best technique they had was the Ball & Dummy. I went from being just so so to practically perfect with that technique - before I tell you what it is - does anyone remember it and wish to explain to the general public.

I don't know who first developed that tecnique - but it was not generally tought by the Army or SF prior - at least not to me.

TigerDad

C-M-R
18 July 2007, 15:34
TigerDad - You are cracking me up here. The "Welcome to SocNet" message says read, read, and read but you are taking it to a whole new level.

Are you reading the entire forum starting at the dawn of time or something?

You've resurrected some really old threads. It's kind of like a walk down memory lane.

TigerDad
20 July 2007, 17:54
Hey - I'm a FNG here - this is all new stuff to me so why not start at the dawn of time and work forward.

But, I get your point - I will join the rest of the world and start a new thread too.

TigerDad

Odin's Underling
21 July 2007, 15:31
I remember Paul Poole from SOT. Great sense of humor and the best pistol shooter I ever saw. I seen him hit targets with a .45 at 300 meters and watched him bend forward at the waist and shoot at FBI silohettes threw his legs. He could hold a .45 upside down and outshoot anybody on the range. SOT was a fun time.

sfmedicw9
7 August 2007, 01:04
you know not for nothing but....

Paul Poole had the weirdest sense of humor... What cracked me up more than anything was that he laughed the hardest at his own jokes.

I went through SOT once when we used the 22 slides on the 45s (81?) even with that paul could hit a can at the 25 yard line

I dont know if anyone remembers doing hand to hand "skits" at the old lake but i will always remember paul laughing his ass off for an hour straight

I was later assigned to D/2/1 swtg and had the lake for a while - until it moved closer to the flagpole

It was a sad day when the painted over the helipad to hide the nous defions logo (BS political correctness) I also knew bellenger and he did fantastic artwork - I had a bunch of his original art - since lost. I still have some of his drawings that was on the messhall wall at the lake (someone else got the drawing of paul I think)

If any of the CIF guys or SOT or SFARTIETC folks want the old style (ssish) nouse defions stickers or iron ons or t shirts - email me and i will get you hooked up with a girl does those for a lot of the teams