PDA

View Full Version : FBI Special Surveillance Group

DIRSUP KORLING
19 February 2003, 05:33
Does anyone have any info on the FBI Special Surveillance Group? I'm looking specifically for employment criteria. Couldn't find anything on the FBI employment website.....

mario

Hoepoe
19 February 2003, 08:11
Hi

If you meet the specifications for a 'Special Agent" I would suggest you begin the application for this. I am not sure how the FBI works, but in other agencies I have worked for/with the Sureveillence Teams are all aade up of Agents that were previousely "Special Agents" in the respectice agency.

By the way, you can also have a look at

http://www.ds.state.gov/

They have pretty impressive teams that do what you might be looking for.

Good luck

Hoepoe

grrlcop74
19 February 2003, 08:18
I looked into it when I first got out of the military, so my memory may be fuzzy or things may have changed.

They only work out of the 16 or so biggest field offices, so you are limited in duty assignment. It also means you sit around twiddling your thumbs waiting like a PI trying to a catch a husband and a two-bit whore. I decided that for the money I could go into local or state LE and have a hell of alot more fun.

Kristen

Hoepoe
19 February 2003, 10:23
Hi

That's exactly why i mentioned the DS, they get to travel around (intenationally) a lot. Specifically SD (Surveillence Detection) and PI (Protective Intelligence). But as i said, most of these agents have been Special Agents first, also not bad....the DS Special Agents deal with the protection of US Diplomats overseas. Similar in nature to the Secret Service, but for dips, whereas the Secret Service works with White House.

Good luck

Hoepoe

Interesting info may be found at :

http://www.specwarnet.com/taclink/Federal/dos_msd.htm

Huey One Four
21 February 2003, 10:50
When that link refers to training for guards, is that the Local Guard Force? I can say what I do in a PM if someone doesnt want to put this in the open.

Cheers

Swat1
22 February 2003, 23:22
As someone who has actually worked with SSG's, here is the skinny:

SSG's perform surviellance for Foreign Counterintelligence and Terrorist cases. Before someone blows a gasket, Yes, SSG's have been used limitedly in some straight criminal cases. They are NOT agents and are not former agents. They are a support position with an operational mission. They spend their time discreetly and overtly surveilling foreign intelligence officers, suspected spies, etc., collecting photographic, video and testimonial evidence for those cases. As a former CI agent I have worked with both FBI SOG and SSG's and found most of them to be very professional. SOG (Special Operations Group) consists of FBI agents who are assigned to surveillance duties.

Kristen is correct that SSG's are assigned to larger field offices, however, they travel extensively all over the country. They have conducted surveillance for major espionage cases including Aldrich Ames and Robert Hansen. The two largest group of SSG's are assigned to the NY NY Field Office and the Washington FO, however, for major ops they pull in people from across the country.

Swat1*

Purple36
23 February 2003, 02:20
Originally posted by Swat1
As someone who has actually worked with SSG's, here is the skinny:

SSG's perform surviellance for Foreign Counterintelligence and Terrorist cases. Before someone blows a gasket, Yes, SSG's have been used limitedly in some straight criminal cases. They are NOT agents and are not former agents. They are a support position with an operational mission. They spend their time discreetly and overtly surveilling foreign intelligence officers, suspected spies, etc., collecting photographic, video and testimonial evidence for those cases. As a former CI agent I have worked with both FBI SOG and SSG's and found most of them to be very professional. SOG (Special Operations Group) consists of FBI agents who are assigned to surveillance duties.

Kristen is correct that SSG's are assigned to larger field offices, however, they travel extensively all over the country. They have conducted surveillance for major espionage cases including Aldrich Ames and Robert Hansen. The two largest group of SSG's are assigned to the NY NY Field Office and the Washington FO, however, for major ops they pull in people from across the country.

Swat1*

Hai, Swat1-san.
Hanging here in an 8 hour layover in Tokyo...........

Hoepoe
23 February 2003, 03:30
Thanks for the clairification, keep cool, keep safe ;-)

Hoepoe

ps. Lianluo where are you off to? :-)

Keep safe man....

DIRSUP KORLING
27 February 2003, 12:06
thanks for the input guys.....

mario

GackMan
27 February 2003, 13:09
ACK!! Another korean linguist... run screaming for the hills before it gets crazy in here.