PDA

View Full Version : Average Age

cobolt
12 August 2003, 09:25
Out of curiosity, what is the average age of guys passing BUD/S? I'm considering the SEAL option but possibly wont be able to begin the path to BUD/S until 26-28 years of age.

Appologies if this has been asked before. I did a search of previous posts and found nothing.

Crypto
23 August 2003, 03:58
Age is lower 20's. It tends to be towards the younger end of the spectrum because of the age restriction. There's people 18yrs of age making it through, as well as late late 20's. Just a little tougher on the older guys compared to the teenages that just came from highschool/bootcamp (given they're all in the same shape)

Cass
23 August 2003, 10:42
Crypto
When offering data on SEAL Teams be on firm ground, like having participated in a Team, or having first hand knowledge.

And I would strongly recommend you change your Profile credentials to something less revealing. I note you graduated "A" school in Jan 03. Let this post be an encouragement in OpSec to a rather new Military Man.

Xdeth
23 August 2003, 10:56
Hey Cass, can a 40 yr old guy make it? I'd like to try it in another six years.

Matchanu
23 August 2003, 12:08
Originally posted by cobolt
Out of curiosity, what is the average age of guys passing BUD/S? I'm considering the SEAL option but possibly wont be able to begin the path to BUD/S until 26-28 years of age.

Appologies if this has been asked before. I did a search of previous posts and found nothing.

I had a friend of mine graduate at 28. It won't be easy at that age, but it never is at any age. If you are properly motivated and in good physical shape, you should be O.K.

Why are you deciding now to go through BUD/s?
Are you in the Navy now?
If so, what is your rank?

CTA
23 August 2003, 13:29
Crypto,

Concur with what Cass said. You might want to make your profile a little more vague seeing how you are still AD. Also, let the real deals answer the questions. Bowing out now....

Cheers,

CTA

J.Meoff
23 August 2003, 17:11
Crypto

You don't know, shut your suck.

I and a few think other tank members, sifted through the BUD/S database, compiled over years, while assigned there. Of note, there is nothing average about graduates, or a way to select likely ones.

BTW we don't need the guy with the fastest 40, that's only talent. We need more. The mind carries the body.

DCH
23 August 2003, 17:38

badass song by Paul Hardcastle about the average age of a soldier in Vietnam.

DCH
(sorry, leaving surfzone now)

Frog
23 August 2003, 20:40
Originally posted by cobolt

Since I graduated BUD/S at age 27, I can answer this once and for all.

Average age question is the wrong question.

Real answer is it just gets harder the older you get. Your recovery time at 27 is longer than those that are 17.

So if you are asking is it harder if you're older, then the answer is, YES IT IS.

So taking the logic further, the older you are, the chances of making it through BUD/S without a disqualifying injury is more.

I'm sure a calculus major can put this in mathematical terms and post a nice .ppt chart, but why waste the time. You will just quit anyway.

TurnSteel
23 August 2003, 22:00
The new guy concurs...

Some years back I thought guys in their late 20's and 30's were just whiners when they talked about not recovering as quickly, blah, blah...
Graduated Ranger school at 22 and BUD/S at 27. My body didn't appreciate either opportunity to excell, but I sure bounced back a lot quicker when I was 22... Hell Week at 27 did to me what Suck School took 96 days to do at 22 (yes- Mountains twice). And while a few of the younger guys were trying to beat their last run time the very next week, I was debating the benefits of Motrin vs. Naproxin while sitting in a bathtub full of ice.
There are guys that go through at 30+ and smoke it, and collegiate atheletes that fall apart. Bottom line, as everyone will tell you, it's all strength of mind and strength of character.

TS

Frog
23 August 2003, 22:42
Turnsteel,

I think you might be my future relief. Be careful what you ask for. . . you just might get it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Old frogs never die, they just get pissed off. :cool:

TurnSteel
24 August 2003, 11:33
Just passing the time, waiting go get back up north Sir. As for being your relief, I think the job description calls for a much older Frog than myself, so it sounds like I'm safe... not that I'm calling you old...

V/R

TS

Cass
24 August 2003, 13:08
Oh! See next post.

Cass
24 August 2003, 13:16
Huh?

Well, that did not work either. Tried to post a .jpg photo. No luck.