PDA

View Full Version : Photo Journol - Task Force Ripper, GW I

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 16:45
I got all my photos from Desert Storm scanned in today, and thought I'd post 'em for anyone interested. They turned out pretty good.

In Desert Storm I was in CAAT 2, covering the front and right flank of TF Ripper in a formation we called the "lazy seven." Ripper was comprised of 3 battalions of the 1st MarDiv: 3rd Tank Battalion, 1/7, and 1/5. At 1700 hrs on G-1 TF Ripper went MOPP4. At just after midnight, we crossed into Kuwait and made our way to our attack position to spend the final hours before dawn, when we would make a frontal attack on the fortified Iraqi positions over the horizon. The 1st Mar Div had the uneviable task of "moving out and drawing fire," that is, we were supposed to make a headlong assault into the teeth of the Iraqi defenses, drawing Iraqi reserves from the North in to assist their front-line units in what they assumed was the POME. Actually, of course, the Army was pushing fast around their right flank to encircle and destroy them. Within the context of the 1st Mar Div objective, it was Ripper's job to lead the way for 1st Mar Div and "rip" the hole in the defenses that our follow on task forces could pour into. It was speculated in the days preceding the invasion that we would be combat ineffective by the time we had fought through the second belt of Iraqi defenses (at which time TF Pappa Bear would take over).

The following photos chronicle that journey, across the breach sites, to the ranch of the Emir of Kuwait, to the Burgan Oil Fields, to the tank battle at Al-Jabber, and finally to Kuwait City. I took these pictures with a small disposable camera from the turret of Tango 8, my place in CAAT2.

If these photos take up too much disk space, I apologize and just delete them.

The first photo is me on the right and my driver and a-gunner (and a fine Marine) LCpl ********, just after we went MOPP4 on G-1.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 16:47
Here we are at the first breach site. Notice the air burst WP over the Iraqi pos just to our front.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 16:49
Crossing the second minefield. This photo is taken as we drive down one of the proofed lanes. Notice the AT mines visible on the surface.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 16:51
After our assaults on the Iraqi defenses at the border, we moved to secure a ranch that had once belonged to the Emir of Kuwait, but which was now being used by Iraqis. It was on the southern edge of the Burgan Oil Field, where all the fires were burning. Here we are approaching the Burgan, which can be seen in the distance.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 16:54
Here is one from a few hundred meters off. You can get some perspective by observing the chain link fence at the base of the fire (which was about a 12ft fence).

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 16:59
At the airfield at Al-Jabber, Ripper became engaged with enemy armor in force. CAAT 2 destroyed over a dozen enemy tanks and APCs in the engagement, including the T62 that appears in this photo, dug in at the base of the electrical tower.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:00
Here is that same tank again...

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:02
Here is another T62 destroyed in the Al Jabber engagement. Shortly after this photo was taken several secondary explosions rocked us, reminding us that we were a little too close. Notice the turret is blown completely off, and is sitting with the barrell skyward in the sand.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:03
Another iraqi T62 turned scrap metal thanks to the TOWs of CAAT2.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:05
During the following day, we engaged Iraqi armor and APCs in and near a migrant workers camp to the South of Kuwait City as we made our final approach. Here is a T72 we eliminated.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:07
Credit the HMG of CAAT2 with these two BMPs. A hail of MK19 and Ma-duece eliminated them.

bitburger
15 September 2003, 17:08
RipperTOW, what kind of vehicle were you in?

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:09
Finally, we've reached the outskirts of Kuwait City. Now we've gotta wait for the Arabs to catch up so they can go in and be "the Liberators." That's an M60 from 3d tanks (who had a company attached to 1/7 and vice versa).

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:11
Originally posted by bitburger
RipperTOW, were you in an M-60 or an M1?

A TOW Hummer. CAAT (combined anti-armor team) was a mixture of the regimental TOW platoon and HMG platoon. 3d tanks had M60's over there, however. Only the Army had M1s :mad: .

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:13
Yours truly enjoying a Tuna with Noodles in our final position outside of Kuwait City. Chocolat nut cake, mmmmmmmmmm.....

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:14
A captured Iraqi artillery piece. They were all pointing toward the coast, indicating that the feint of an amphibious landing by the Marines in the Persian Gulf had caused them some concern.

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:17
As we made our way back out of Kuwait to our staging area in Saudi, we got to stop and play on this BMP that had been engaged by some kind of HEAT weapon (probably TOW from a Cobra). That's me squatting on top.

Doogie320
15 September 2003, 17:18
Originally posted by RipperTOW
A TOW Hummer. CAAT (combined anti-armor team) was a mixture of the regimental TOW platoon and HMG platoon. 3d tanks had M60's over there, however. Only the Army had M1s :mad: .

I have a friend that was a Marine M-1 crewman in GW1. Were the only M-1s that you saw Army? I could've sworn that 1 BN of Marine armor was M-1s and the others were M-60s.

Edit: Great pics, BTW! Thank you!

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:19
This photo, from the top of the BMP, is looking down onto the inside of the turret from the top. When the secondary explosions took over, the turret was blown off, flipped, and landed back in the cupola upside down. Must've sucked to have been inside :D .

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:21
Well, that's it. I've got a few others but I think these are the best. Hope everyone enjoys them. Again, I hope it isn't taking up too much disk space. If so, then please just delete them and accept my apology in advance.

A complete history of 1/7's activity during Desert Storm is written here (http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageHistory/1,13506,500031|768700,00.html). It's a lengthy but excellent synopsis.

RipperTOW

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:27
.Originally posted by Doogie320
I have a friend that was a Marine M-1 crewman in GW1. Were the only M-1s that you saw Army? I could've sworn that 1 BN of Marine armor was M-1s and the others were M-60s.

Edit: Great pics, BTW! Thank you!

It could be that 1st tanks had the M1s over there, I don't know. 2nd MarDiv was OTH on our left flank. I am sure, however, that 3rd Tanks (1st MarDiv) had M60s. It was a never-ending joke for us every time we needed something to bitch about :D .

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 17:30
LOL, just noticed I "mistyped" the word "journal" in the title of the post. "Journol," [shakes head] good job Platzer!

If anyone knows how to make a correction to a thread title let me know.

Doogie320
15 September 2003, 17:32

It could be that 1st tanks had the M1s over there, I don't know. 2nd MarDiv was OTH on our left flank. I am sure, however, that 3rd Tanks (1st MarDiv) had M60s. It was a never-ending joke for us every time we needed something to bitch about :D .

I think he was with 1st Tanks. I'll have to ask him when I see him again.

Ah, you need something to bitch about, else you wouldn't be happy! :D

BTAR

Gulf Yankee
15 September 2003, 17:44
Now we've gotta wait for the Arabs to catch up so they can go in and be "the Liberators."

That shit just cracks me up :D

RAT
15 September 2003, 18:14
Ripper,

SWEET PIC's... Of all my shit I never took many pic's I amso pissed about that. I was always I will have time.. NOT... LOL

Looking forward to the beer.

RAT OUT!!!

GySgtMooch
15 September 2003, 19:14
RipperTOW,
Great pics. As for the USMC M1's, they were reservists from Yakima, WA (8th Tank Bn). They were credited with the most kills of any Marine tank unit in GW1.
S/F
Mooch

RipperTOW
15 September 2003, 22:23
Originally posted by SSgtMooch
RipperTOW,
They were credited with the most kills of any Marine tank unit in GW1.

Yeah, it was tough on 3rd tanks over there. 7th Mar TOWs kept killing the tanks before they could draw a bead :cool: . We got 54 tanks, and 1 bulldozer that looked a helluva lot like a tank at 3700 meters in the thermal sight :eek: .

EarthPig
21 September 2003, 21:36
Ripper-

Thanks for sharing the great pics! Very interesting.

RLTW
EP

BadMuther
24 September 2003, 22:03
Ripper,

Thanks for sharing the pics. I love seeing ones regular grunts took!!

bikewrench8541
3 October 2003, 04:01
A coupla my bro's were there with 4th Tank Bn.
Great pics. As for the USMC M1's, they were reservists from Yakima, WA (8th Tank Bn). They were credited with the most kills of any Marine tank unit in GW1.
endquote

True, except that only 1 Co. was from Yakima, another was from SD. (The rest of the Bn. I don't know , sorry. They (4th Tanks) won (I heard from several sources) a comp. to see who got the M1's.
Reservists, really.
Peace
Adam

Ghostrider 14
5 October 2003, 19:01
Great pics RipperTow. Thanks for sharing.:)