PDA

View Full Version : 175 Scout Swimmer

Ranger5280
13 April 2005, 13:36
Came across this pic the other day. A little Scout Swimmer training off of Lotts Island. Two well known Rangers in the pic. On the right is Frank Winters (RIP). On the left...Mr. Clean.

Ranger5280
13 April 2005, 13:39

glockcqc
13 April 2005, 17:34
Dude!

..we were in the same class!

I was near the end of the bird (ie we were a "little higher" and go'n a "little faster" by then)..I think I skipped when I hit the water (HA)..and had my UDT shorts stuffed about 2" up my ass.

Frank and I went through basic/AIT/Airborne and RIP together.

I've got more than a couple pictures from scout swimmer. Haven't been able to find a scanner.

...brought back some fun memories: swimming off of Tybee Island, working w/the coast guard cutter and what ever they call that extraction w/the zodiac strapped to the side, running into some boars during the recon mission.

..thanks for posting the pic.

Jay

Ranger5280
14 April 2005, 14:19
We must have been in the same RIP class. Sgt Martin was a big red head that had just won (or competed in) the Georgia tough man competition. The other RIP instructor was a good ole' boy whose father in law purchased a silver convertible Mercedes for him after returning from Grenada.

I went from Airborne school to the 24th and the very day I arrived and started inprocessing I passed Frank in a hallway. He had orders for 175 and said I should see if I could get my paperwork changed. I was able to and ended up taking the ride up to battalion with him and a habdful of others.

glockcqc
14 April 2005, 20:46
..yes,..remember the red haired NCO. Had a kneck like a telephone pole. Remember the silver mercedes convertable.

Mike Carline was my bunk mate @ RIP; Wowak, York, Scott Fisher..fucking Zervas, Sharp, Swisher...

Think "Dalton" was running RIP when we went through.

..gotta run

glockcqc
15 April 2005, 09:15
..well shit,..you took the ride up to HAAF from Stewart, in the silverside truck w/the rest of us?

We gotta know each other.

..give me a moment to look through the scout swimmer pictures..see if I can guess (ha).

Ranger5280
15 April 2005, 10:59
You won't find me in the Scout Swimmer class pic. I went through scuba school, not scout swimmer. I want to be clear on that.

I remember the silverside ride. No windows. All sweat and nerves. I recall someone responding to Sgt. Martin with a "clear sergeant...Airborne" at which point it was explained that at 200 and something pounds he was definately not 'clear' and maybe something about airborne school being for pussies. Lots of smoke followed. As a matter of fact, it may have been Winters getting smoked.

I remember all the names you mentioned. Scott Fisher and I went to PLDC together. Remember Jay Lathrop and Steve D?

Kat1/75
15 April 2005, 19:20
Great Pic Phil. Been out of the loop awhile, we'll have to have a beer again sometime. Way to get that bubble!

chokeuout
15 April 2005, 21:43
"Smoke me if you can, you puny little Scuba Man"

Silverbullet
15 April 2005, 22:08

Rangers, great thread! Sorry for interrupting but I just wanted to register my shock that chokeuout actually can use a computer since he hasn't sent me an email in over a yr!

Thanks again.

Ranger5280
18 April 2005, 12:27

Good to have you back. Did you destroy everyone in Taiwan?

"The submission position. Head down, butt up and shut up" -MG

SURFCAV
19 April 2005, 16:57
OK, I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO CHASTISE ME FOR POSTING HERE. Full disclosure. just got back from 13 months in Iraq with the 1st Cav, before that, 20 years USMC. Here's my dilemma right now, Comp-eted and got a Ranger School slot just turned 39, (can still outrun and outshoot most of the kids I know).SO, Will the Regiment tak :D e a guy like me or am I wasting my time ? I don't want to go thru all that drama just for ther Tab, it really doesn't mean that much to me, after fighting in Falluja and Najaf, Ranger school appeares antilclimatic at this juncture.I will do it if it gets me a job as a Battboy however. Thanks in advance.

Sharky
19 April 2005, 20:09
OK, I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO CHASTISE ME FOR POSTING HERE. Full disclosure. just got back from 13 months in Iraq with the 1st Cav, before that, 20 years USMC. Here's my dilemma right now, Comp-eted and got a Ranger School slot just turned 39, (can still outrun and outshoot most of the kids I know).SO, Will the Regiment tak :D e a guy like me or am I wasting my time ? I don't want to go thru all that drama just for ther Tab, it really doesn't mean that much to me, after fighting in Falluja and Najaf, Ranger school appeares antilclimatic at this juncture.I will do it if it gets me a job as a Battboy however. Thanks in advance.

Nobody is going to chastise you for posting here brother. But, the answer is no. Ranger school alone will not get you into a Ranger battalion. In your case, it will probably help, as once you get your tab you can put in a 4187 for ROP (vs RIP, which is a bit more of a bitch). While you are at Ft Benning, I would suggest swinging by and seeing the 3rd batt CSM or the RSM if he's there and see if they will give you a shot. I would have a PT card in hand when I went too. If being in batt is something you want, go for it. You also need to have an authorized MOS.

There are guys on here with more current and better info, but if you want in the Regiment, you're gonna need to get that tab first. After that, start working your way toward a slot to ROP.

jds
19 April 2005, 21:24
SURFCAV,
Whats your rank?

PM me if you like

jds

SURFCAV
20 April 2005, 16:44
I am a SSG just got on the SFC list so life is good right now. Talked to a Ranger yesterday at the Recruiters office he basically told me about the ROPE program for NCO's, so he thinks it's definitley doable.THanks for all Ya'll's wisdom and comraderie in advance. I am late for a meeting with my Miltary History Proff right now. Will sign on again later.
:D

chokeuout
21 April 2005, 00:24
SURFCAV walk into that Regt CSM's office and tell him to get the fuck out of your seat and when he looks at you with that scared look unzip your pants and tell him to get on his knees...........

Sharky
21 April 2005, 01:16
SURFCAV walk into that Regt CSM's office and tell him to get the fuck out of your seat and when he looks at you with that scared look unzip your pants and tell him to get on his knees...........

LOL....yeah....CSM Birch would definitely see the humor in that. :D

Ranger5280
21 April 2005, 15:30

Beautiful...nothing has changed

Choke,
Just got in this morning from Ft Leonard Wood...do I have some stories for you.

chokeuout
22 April 2005, 01:38
RANGER5280......6-6 minute matches, none of them lasted longer than 3 minutes. All by submission. Gotta go...I need to train harder!!!!

Ranger5280
22 April 2005, 12:13
RANGER5280......6-6 minute matches, none of them lasted longer than 3 minutes. All by submission. Gotta go...I need to train harder!!!!

But did you make anyone cry?