PDA

View Full Version : Oldest active-duty Navy SEAL retires at 60

dvpj
20 August 2005, 20:13
Capt. ‘Wild Bill’ Wildrick is last member of elite unit who served in Vietnam

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:05 p.m. ET Aug. 20, 2005

CORONADO, Calif. - The oldest Navy SEAL in uniform has retired at age 60 after a career that included a tour in Vietnam, 24 years in the reserves and a return to active duty to help reorganize the reserves.

Capt. William “Wild Bill” Wildrick signed on with the SEALs in 1968, before the highly specialized Sea Air Land commandos became a household name. He served all but two of his 39 years in the Navy with the SEALs.

“There was a time when our compound wasn’t even marked and we didn’t wear patches,” Wildrick said at his retirement ceremony last week. “Now you’d be hard pressed to find anyone in the world who doesn’t know what a SEAL is.”

Wildrick, who lives in La Jolla, was the last active-duty SEAL platoon officer who had served in Vietnam and the second-highest ranking SEAL nationwide.

In 1996, after more than two decades in the SEAL reserve units, Wildrick returned to active duty at the U.S. Special Operations Command in Tampa, Fla., where he worked to overhaul a reserve system that suffered from low funding, poor training and often fragmented leadership.

Wildrick made some of the most significant changes in the Naval Special Warfare Reserve community in 30 years, including setting up SEAL support commands on both coasts to increase coordination and support between active and reserve forces. His model is now being considered for all Navy reserves.

StarChild
21 August 2005, 02:13
I thought Captain Bowen (who was the CO at BUD/S when I was in Class #237) was the Bullfrog.

Frog
21 August 2005, 07:43
Ed Bowen retired a few years back, making Wildrick the Bull Frog

StarChild
21 August 2005, 13:24
Oh, ok. I was not aware of his retirement. I once remember him talking to us during a "school circle", and discussing his accomplishments during Vietnam. Instructor Choyeski told me that he has the most confirmed knife kills in the SpecOps community.

Frog
21 August 2005, 17:29
Oh, ok. I was not aware of his retirement. I once remember him talking to us during a "school circle", and discussing his accomplishments during Vietnam. Instructor Choyeski told me that he has the most confirmed knife kills in the SpecOps community.

I think we need to hear a little bit about your history here. I'm reading BUD/S drop out and I see a lot of advice being handed out. What's your story?

Cass
21 August 2005, 18:37
Instructor Choyeski told me that he has the most confirmed knife kills in the SpecOps community.

StarChild
Take heed to Frog's request. Knife kills? Ha!

Ex-PH
21 August 2005, 19:07
...and the second-highest ranking SEAL nationwide.Aren't there at least two flag rank Frogs still on active duty?

Frog
21 August 2005, 20:03
we have about 6 flags, but that doesn't make them the "Oldest Frog " still on AD.

Ex-PH
21 August 2005, 20:21
It was more AP's choice of words that got my attention, implying an O-6 was the second highest ranking guy in the community. Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning Capt Wildrick.

StarChild
22 August 2005, 14:32
I think we need to hear a little bit about your history here. I'm reading BUD/S drop out and I see a lot of advice being handed out. What's your story?

Well, here it is.

*clears throat*

10OCT00 - Enlisted in the U.S. Navy at a paygrade of E-1.
Contract - MS A-School with Submarine Contract

When I got to boot camp, I started to imagine for the next 4 years of my life flipping cheeseburgers on the bottom of the ocean, and ran full speed to the Dive Motivator. I passed the screening with flying colors, and was instructed to change my rating (since MS is not an accepted rating for BUD/S).

I then proceed to attend GM A-School. Upon completion of gun school, I transferred to NAB Coronado, for BUD/S training with Class #237. I trained hard, and it paid off. I was hitting my 4 mile timed runs in 28 minutes. My 2 mile ocean swims were above average. O-Course times were about 10 minutes. I was passing everything, and it was all going very well. Then one day, while running to the galley, I happened to be on the very farthest to the right rank in formation (there are 4 ranks while running with a full class), and when we busted that left hand turn to hit the mess hall, my rank came off of the sidewalk at an angle while running. My dumbass was looking straight-ahead instead of down when this happened, and I immediately sprained my left ankle, to the point to where I was not able to continue training for at least another month or so.

NAVSPECWAR Medical Facility gave me a rollback to Class #238 (at instructor's recommendation) so that I could recover. I made a full recovery, and went through #238 all the way up until Hell Week, when I ripped 2 of the 3 muscles in my ITB during an ocean swim. This was a pretty severe injury at the time, and HMC Shumaker released me from training.

I then spent about 3 months in X-Division. During this time, I went to ******* to assist in training exercises with ****. I also participated in exercises with **** down in ****-****.

That's about all that is relevent here. Any additional questions you might have, please do not hesitate to ask.

Oh, and as far as what Inst. ******** told me, that is correct. One Saturday, while sitting in the PIT (you guys remember that don't you?) sharpening my dive knife, he came up to me and asked me if I had any dip, so I handed him my CanKeeper. He then told me that I was sharpening my knife wrong, and showed me how to sharpen it starting from the tip and moving downward (against the grain) down to the hilt. Then out of nowhere he told me that our CO (who at the time was Capt. Bowen) had the most confirmed knife kills out of all the SEALs, and I believe him. I don't see any reason why he would've said it just to have said it.

Matchanu
22 August 2005, 14:41
Then out of nowhere he told me that our CO (who at the time was Capt. Bowen) had the most confirmed knife kills out of all the SEALs, and I believe him. I don't see any reason why he would've said it just to have said it.

Because he was fucking with you.

BTW, please remove the references to instructor names, training/exersice locations, and teams.

Thanks.

StarChild
22 August 2005, 14:43
Because he was fucking with you.

BTW, please remove the references to instructor names, training/exersice locations, and teams.

Thanks.

Done.

Why do you think that?

Matchanu
22 August 2005, 14:47
Done.

Why do you think that?

Because I did a platoon with him. He liked to fuck with tad poles.

StarChild
22 August 2005, 14:52
Because I did a platoon with him. He liked to fuck with tad poles.

Ha! That's great. Oh well, I always thought Inst. C. was a cool dude. IMO, in order to be platoon corpsman, plus 60 gunner, you have to be a badass motherfucker, considering how much gear you have to carry (Med Gear, extra barrels, ammo, personel equipment, M-60, backup, etc).

From what your profile says you were at ST-5 from '90 to
'01, so you must have been there when I went down there with you guys (referring to last post) down south. Any chance we've met before?

blueskies14k
22 August 2005, 16:01
How old is Admiral Maguire?

It was an honor to shake that man's hand back when he was the CO at the center in the 220's.

What a solid guy.

Class29wc
22 August 2005, 18:37
"How old is Admiral Maguire?"
He was in the fifth grade when I went through training, does that help?

fish78
22 August 2005, 18:52
"How old is Admiral Maguire?"
He was in the fifth grade when I went through training, does that help?

Hell, Neptune was in fifth grade when you went through training.:D

Class29wc
22 August 2005, 19:06
That Neptune bit may be true but Cass is older than me, when he went through training numbers hadnt even been invented yet. :)

fish78
22 August 2005, 19:09
That Neptune bit may be true but Cass is older than me, when he went through training numbers hadnt even been invented yet. :)
Yeah, but he will tell you he is 38...in dog years, maybe.

blueskies14k
22 August 2005, 19:12
HAHA

I guess I should of asked how young he was?

He is the highest ranked SEAL, or am I mistaken?

Daredevil
25 August 2005, 06:39
It's a shame to see a guy leave just as his career is getting started ;)

Silverbullet
25 August 2005, 06:50
His career is a testament to the type of man he is.

I salute him for his service to our great nation.

Tom_H
25 August 2005, 17:18
Choy's full last name is still in one of the posts - on the other hand, he is out of the military.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Tom