PDA

View Full Version : Lurker says hello

username93
24 April 2006, 08:09
hello, I've been lurking around this site for a little bit researching joining the military. I have learned that this appears to be a very strict environment with very strict guidelines, so I have made my best attempt to follow what I know. I have filled out my profile and provided as much personal information as the profile page allows. Since identifying oneself is critical, I will try as best I can. I am an 18 y/o female colligiate wrestler looking into a military career. I understand that I am a guest and will try excruciatingly hard to abide by all the rules and not get run off the board. I have some questions, but before I ask, I want to make sure that there is not anything I forgot to do as to avoid being jumped on. I am trying to make absolute certain that I am not offending anyone, or is that a mistake? I have my hands up, I come in peace.

BCoRanger
24 April 2006, 08:15
Welcome, nice intro. Are you hot? I'm sure you were expecting that.

ex
24 April 2006, 08:16
Third times a charm!
http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38284&highlight=lurker

I'm sure one of the guys will be along shortly to as if you're HOT, but I gotta ask....female collegiate wrestler, really???

edit - you're just too fast BCo!

37F5V
24 April 2006, 08:20

Merciless... LMAO :D

username93
24 April 2006, 08:21

no, its quite chilly over here.

username93
24 April 2006, 08:26
Third times a charm!
http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38284&highlight=lurker

I'm sure one of the guys will be along shortly to as if you're HOT, but I gotta ask....female collegiate wrestler, really???

edit - you're just too fast BCo!

I wrestled in high school and am currently in summer training to get a spot on my college's wrestling team, so I'm not sure if I'm technically concidered a "colligiate wrestler" yet, I'm sorry I should have clarified. But I also xtrain in submission wrestling and bjj/judo, would like to fight in a cage someday but that will probably not be soon.

So is there anything else I have to do as far as filling out my profile etc?

BCoRanger
24 April 2006, 08:38
So you want to be a female cage fighter? Photos are a must in this case.

team5medic
24 April 2006, 11:54
damn it Bco you beat me to it again........
??? so is she hot?:D
OH and by the way, Welcome

Lurch
24 April 2006, 18:31
Welcome 93 and don’t mind BCoRanger he’s a pig.
But we will need a photo of you wrestling around with another girl for verification, I’m sure you understand.:cool:

SOTB
24 April 2006, 18:38
But we will need a photo of you wrestling around with another girl for verification....If for whatever reason you cannot find a pic like this, you may feel free to post one of you doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Outrigger Canoeing, Muay Thai, Paintball, Swimming, Weightlifting, Writing, Science Fiction, Playing old SNES rpg games. You can also just post one of you lying on your bed.

Extra points are given if you have a gal in the photo and you are touching each other.

MANY extra points are given if you are kissing.

LOTS of extra points are given if....

Trip_Wire
24 April 2006, 18:44
Welcome to the board gal!

Lancer33
24 April 2006, 19:40
Welcome. Nice intro.

KidA
24 April 2006, 21:33
I want to make sure that there is not anything I forgot to do as to avoid being jumped on.

you forgot to put this on the lurker thread, attention whore. :D

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38284

Welcome.

So, uh, are you hot?

magician
25 April 2006, 14:36
Do not mind B Co. (AKA BrokebackBCo).

He likes men.

He is just intrigued because you are a wrestler. And, allegedly, a woman.

:)

BCoRanger
25 April 2006, 15:32
Do not mind B Co. (AKA BrokebackBCo).

He likes men.

He is just intrigued because you are a wrestler. And, allegedly, a woman.

You need to stop stalking my posts....... the answer is still no.

I've known plenty of hot female wrestlers.... I am hoping the track record maintains its course.:cool:

username93
26 April 2006, 01:05
If for whatever reason you cannot find a pic like this, you may feel free to post one of you doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Outrigger Canoeing, Muay Thai, Paintball, Swimming, Weightlifting, Writing, Science Fiction, Playing old SNES rpg games. You can also just post one of you lying on your bed.

Extra points are given if you have a gal in the photo and you are touching each other.

MANY extra points are given if you are kissing.

LOTS of extra points are given if....

Whoa you guys really want my photo don't you? Aight aight, here's my myspace if you insist (I'm such a looser for having a myspace), but really, I'm not hot.

http://www.myspace.com/forgetu2tom

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 06:46
Whoa you guys really want my photo don't you? Aight aight, here's my myspace if you insist (I'm such a looser for having a myspace), but really, I'm not hot.

http://www.myspace.com/forgetu2tom

have you ever kissed a girl, or do you want to?:cool:

ex
26 April 2006, 07:04
I know a certain Kiwi that will be intrigued....you've got some serious tats for one so young.

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 07:04
maybe theyre the rub on kind.

ex
26 April 2006, 07:13
maybe theyre the rub on kind.
Or a sharpie....my daughter does that, but just around her wrist.

btw 93, don't worry about being a myspace loser, you're in good company! :)

Matchanu
26 April 2006, 08:44

btw 93, don't worry about being a myspace loser, you're in good company! :)

Da!

;)

Viking
26 April 2006, 10:03
Actually, I'd say you're pretty hot, in an IDF (http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59239) kind of way.

By the way, what do you think of this guy? (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=683193245&n=2)

Ergogirl
26 April 2006, 11:21
Actually, I'd say you're pretty hot, in an IDF (http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59239) kind of way.[/URL]

Holy cow, he's right...... That one shot is very Natalie Portman-esque.

Welcome aboard 93.

username93
26 April 2006, 12:56

Yeah its a sharpie. I did it for halloween :D

ex
26 April 2006, 13:00
Yeah its a sharpie. I did it for halloween :D
Ha! I'm good. :)

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 13:00
you two should kiss, then ill agree with that statement :cool:

ex
26 April 2006, 13:02
She's young enough to be my daughter, you sicko! :eek:

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 13:04
what are you trying to say, I'm old enough to be your grandson. Booya!:eek:

ex
26 April 2006, 13:13
damn, that hurts.

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 13:15
damn, that hurts.

Baby, You know I loveeee you ;)

username93
26 April 2006, 13:43

First question: Is there anyone here who doesn't want a beer and to see something naked?

ECHO6GOLF
26 April 2006, 13:45
First question: Is there anyone here who doesn't want a beer and to see something naked?

Ummm..

No.

ex
26 April 2006, 14:36
I don't drink beer. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing BCo naked, though. Just so I can laugh at him! :D

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 14:38
I don't drink beer. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing BCo naked, though. Just so I can laugh at him! :D

You can laugh with your mouth full?:cool:

Matchanu
26 April 2006, 14:54
You can laugh with your mouth full?:cool:

The whole gay men's choir knows you can.

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 14:57
The whole gay men's choir knows you can.

Mouth full of fake titty. Dont hate ...

Viking
26 April 2006, 14:57

Hey, don't let BCo scare you off. He's not very good with girls, you see. Unless you want to chat about fashion or Mariah Carey, that is.

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 14:59
Hey, don't let BCo scare you off. He's not very good with girls, you see. Unless you want to chat about fashion or Mariah Carey, that is.

The president of the rainbow coalition speaks.

Wench
26 April 2006, 15:03
1. You're not ugly.
2. I can't believe you caved so quickly with the pic. I had expected you to hold out longer! Dammit. You must make them suffer!
3. Ex, maybe you could do Photoshop wonders with BCo's bidness. Look at what you did for RAT and his hair!!

Matchanu
26 April 2006, 15:04
Mouth full of fake titty. Dont hate ...

Never knew of a titty that was penis shaped.

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 15:06
1. You're not ugly.
2. I can't believe you caved so quickly with the pic. I had expected you to hold out longer! Dammit. You must make them suffer!
3. Ex, maybe you could do Photoshop wonders with BCo's bidness. Look at what you did for RAT and his hair!!

maybe we can photoshop you up against a wall. :eek:

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 15:09
Never knew of a titty that was penis shaped.

Could of fooled you but not me:cool:
http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59119&page=7&highlight=range

Viking
26 April 2006, 15:09

HA! In your face!

That was quite nice. SOTB really came through on this one.

Matchanu
26 April 2006, 15:20
Could of fooled you but not me:cool:
http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59119&page=7&highlight=range

The mushroom stamp on your forehead indicates otherwise.

BCoRanger
26 April 2006, 15:23
This coming from someone that has an avatar of a frog with a penis in its mouth.

SOTB
26 April 2006, 15:31
SOTB really came through on this one.Hey, I'm just here to serve....

Matchanu
26 April 2006, 15:36
This coming from someone that has an avatar of a frog with a penis in its mouth.

LOL, touche.

username93
26 April 2006, 17:42
1. You're not ugly.

Naw, I think you guys make each other suffer enough by yourselves. I don't even know BCo and already I can't stop laughing at..I mean WITH him! :D

Whoa, 50 replies and I'm barely talking. I do actually have some questions, but I hate to interrupt the bagging. I take it this means I've been cleared?

ex
26 April 2006, 17:48
Ex, maybe you could do Photoshop wonders with BCo's bidness. Look at what you did for RAT and his hair!!
K, not even a photoshop expert could help BCo with his 'shortcomings!' :eek:

Naw, I think you guys make each other suffer enough by yourselves. I don't even know BCo and already I can't stop laughing at..I mean WITH him! :D
hahaha, even the newbie is laughing at ya, BCo!
Whoa, 50 replies and I'm barely talking.
We don't need you, we can entertain ourselves! :D

username93
29 April 2006, 01:11
hehehe I noticed! :)

Well I hate to have to do this, sorry to rain on your parade but despite how funny this all is, I originally started this thread because I had some questions. They are probably sensitive questions to the SF community and I might get jumped all over for asking them, so I want to make dead certain I'm cleared to fire. You guys all seem really cool though, so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

You guys ready?

Viking
29 April 2006, 01:13
go.

username93
29 April 2006, 03:22
Guys, I want to fight the war.

A call to arms has been issued. Its been issued since I saw the towers fall live. Its only gotten louder since the army can’t meet its quotas and doesn’t have enough troops to keep the peace. What’s worse is that I have 3 friends in Iraq right now, and one of them emailed me a few months ago and told me about how his gunner was KIA. All I know about the gunner is his last name, and I guess I’ll honor it by keeping it confidential, but my best friend was inches away from the bullet that killed him, and I’m here sitting on my hands safe watching private x’s funeral on TV and seeing pictures of coffins and presidential briefings and political agendas and American and Israeli flags in flames. Another thing is that half the people dancing in the streets when the towers fell were of my heritage. There are terror sects in Kosovo, and I’m finding it hard to stomach the fact that the F-ing SOB who killed my friend’s gunner could have been an Albanian.

The only thing keeping me from signing the dotted line is a promise I made to my friend. “Don’t do anything stupid. Live your life until I get back,” which will be in about a month. The deal was that I would stay and study and he would come back with his shield instead of on it. I recently called my family together and told them I was joining the army. I expected their support, and above all I expected them to be proud of me. Instead, my family turned their backs on me, they would not give me their blessing. They said I would not be their hero. My dad cried and said that he could not support me, he is convinced that there are things about this war that are not being told, whatever it is is a lie, and he cannot bring himself to be involved. If I go to Iraq, I go alone.

What am I hoping to find in the desert? A battle? Some glorious Hollywood-enacted paintball game with live ammo? Am I hoping to have fun? I don’t know, I don’t think so. I know I’m looking for a fight, I feel like I’ve been looking for one my whole life, and I feel like I’ve found one. I know if I answer this call, its going to change me, but I feel this. I feel like its something I have to do. I feel like I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t, and I’m angry that I’ve waited this long. I can’t really piece words together enough to explain what I’m feeling or even if it’s rational, and I could probably piece them together all day to no avail. I guess some people want to go to the Olympics, and I want to be a soldier. Maybe some of you understand.

I want to ask how close I can get to the Green Beret, since I can’t think of anything harder and more inside the war, but that’s a question I know I’m not allowed to ask and will be run off the board for asking.

Why do I want to serve? To fight the war. What does this war mean to me? Everything and nothing. It means everything because I can fight in it, there aren’t any lines. It means nothing because I might have no business in it. Who am I to jump into a raging river? Here I have a college education in front of me where I can study film, make documentaries about amazing things, have a career in assembling teams of insane adventures to head out into the natural worlds most dangerous places and maybe get myself killed, or…join the army, do amazing things, be part of a team of brave volunteers who go out into the worlds most dangerous places, and maybe get myself killed. Do I even have any idea what I’m asking for? I sure hope so. I’ve done a lot of homework and researched everything from MP to Combat Engineer to Airborne to EOD, and I can’t even go to the Army’s website because I just can’t take having the Ranger School link waved in front of me on the AIT page and knowing that clicking it is only going to get me upset. I can’t watch the military channel because it reminds me of everything I can’t have, and I’m afraid to “just go for it” because if I get in and don’t like the job I pick, I’m stuck.

I want to fight the war, and if I’m going to get run off the board for saying outright that I want to be the best I can be, do the best I can, go through the hardest thing the world has to offer, that I want to be a Green Beret, then so be it.

I really don't like the coined poster-phrase “women in combat” because it implies that I’m stuck in a civil-rights movement/class-action suit whether I like it or not. Why do we have to assign gender to anything though? Why can’t it just be weakness and strength? Why can’t it just be soldiers in combat? Why can’t I be a soldier? You know what, even if I can’t, where its taken me has been pretty fun. I’ve picked up proficiency in a ton of sports I never thought I’d get into (wrestling wasn’t exactly on my to-do list in middle school), learned how to fight and how to perform under the most stressful of situations, went from benching the bar to showing off with one-arm pushups (not that that's going to take me anywhere but it was still kinda fun), been through hard times where I just wanted to cry, and have been driven to seek out the toughest things I could find. Maybe I’ve just been chasing a stupid dream, but it’s been crazy and if I died tomorrow, I can say that I had fun, and maybe that’s all that matters.

Why did I come to this board? Maybe I’m looking for more than advice, maybe I’m looking for a believer. Maybe I’m trying to opt out of the “gender bylaws” and different PT tests and double standards, things I’ve tried to break free of my entire life. I think I’m looking for someone to say “we’re not talking about you when we talk about women in combat” (I hate that phrase), and I can’t think of anything else I can possibly do to prove myself, anything else I can do to break away because all someone has to do is say it and I’ll do it, but I know that’s not going to happen. I want to be a Green Beret so that I can fight the war, so I’m still going to fight the war, whether or not I get to make as great of a difference as I had hoped. I’m still going to do the best I can. I think I’m strong, I think I’m tough, I think I have something to offer. I think I can be a soldier. I’m going to go help my friends who are over there. I’m going to scratch this unbearable itch and answer the call. Recently I’ve been doing the whole teenage looking-for-a-role-model phase, maybe I’m looking for a hero, maybe I’m looking to find one in myself, maybe I’m just an idiot.

I expect many short replies about “currently there are no females allowed in the following…” I know…

I know.

My question for all of you, if you decide to answer, how can I fight this war?

Wench
29 April 2006, 05:52
You remind me of me when I was 15 and 16. About the only thing I can say is there's a whole lot of "I" and "me" in that. Realize it's not so much about you and what you can get out of the Army...more importantly, what do you do for the Army? It's a hypothetical that doesn't need a specific answer; it's the mindset. You're not going to get the job you want, so forget about it. Period. Once you move past that, focus on what you bring to the table (really good at languages? Computers? Do well with biology?) and how that can help support the warfighter. That's right, SUPPORT.

Best of luck.

Mottbomb
29 April 2006, 08:43
I think I have somewhat of an idea of the lack of support, nothing on your level though. I'm from San Francisco and my father actually supports what I'm doing (and will be doing in about a year). Most of my friends and their parents told me I was gonna waste my time and go die far away for no reason. Do what you want, for what you belive in. Think about what you want, really think about it. Discuss it with people, research it (as you have been) and really come to a decision you are happy with.

Good luck with your parents, I know it was/is tough getting along with my Mom about it.

P.S. What school in cali?

KidA
29 April 2006, 11:45

A lot of hoorah stuff will likely be posted. If that's what you want to do then do it.

Cooks are fighting the war, admin clerks are fighting the war, finance guys are. Fighting the war isn't just shooting bad guys.

People here at home are fighting the war: they're giving blood, they're donating to food kitchens, they're arranging events for wives left behind, and soldiers who come home injured. They're sending care packages, they're writing letters. They're soliciting donations for the USO, and etc and so on.

Without all of that the war, as it were, would be lost.

Good luck.

Viking
29 April 2006, 12:04
I know you already read this thread during your extensive research, but I'm including it anyway. You're circumstances are slightly different, but a lot of it still applies.

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45732

You know you're not going to get SF or Ranger or Infantry, so let's move past that. Let me address a couple key points:

1. It's your life, live it.
2. For 90% of people, no single event defines who they are. For that 10%, 9% of them probably wish it didn't.
3. While you can't be a dedicated door kicker, you'll have ample opportunity to live dangerously regardless of MOS.
4. The military is the quintessential "you get out of it what you put into it" job. If you want to be a shitbag, you'll probably hate it. If you want to give 110% and then some, you'll probably enjoy the hell out of it and have some doors opened to you.

My advice: Sign up as a 98G Arabic. You should get plenty of desert time. Do your job well, keep up with your language and your PT, and interesting folks will come looking for you.

magician
29 April 2006, 22:27
Ok.

First thing: A green beret is a hat. No one in Special Forces calls themselves, or anyone else, a hat.

Second thing: do not worry about your family. As was already advised, just live your own life. Your family will come online.

Third thing: yes, chicks are not permitted in certain specialties.

Big deal. There are a lot of soldiers and Marines with female genitalia in the sandbox right now who have trigger time. Some of them are even women.

;)

I think that you need to think farther ahead. Ask yourself where you want to be 50 years from now, then 25 years from now, then 10 years, then five years, then three years, then next year, then next month, next week, and finally, tomorrow.

This will help you put things in perspective, and it will help you discern the outlines of a life path.

Do not forget that you are young, and that you will change your mind. This is permitted. After all, we are talking about your life. You can live it as you choose. But thinking ahead like this can be an interesting exercise.

One other thing to keep in mind.

I have not been young for a long time now. When I was young, I had no clue about what I wanted to be when I "grew up."

Now that I am ostensibly "grown up," I still have no idea what I want to be. One thing that happened, though, is that all of the "things" that I became do not define me as a person. I am not my job, nor any of my former jobs. I am just myself. It was hard for me to learn this.

I think that it makes more sense to focus on being a good person, than it does to focus on labels, or job descriptions.

It is good to have a plan, yes, and it is good to craft a plan that is flexible, and that enables you to achieve broad goals that are useful in multiple career fields. But one thing is constant: if you are an asshole, you will not succeed in any of them, you will not be happy, and your life will suck on multiple levels.

And the reality is, you can die any day, and many of us do. People slip in the shower. People get nailed at crosswalks. People eat bad shellfish. People fall down stairs. You get the idea.

To bring things full circle, here is a bottom line: You cannot serve in Special Forces.

There are many other ways to serve.

Living well is really its own justification. Do that, and everything else will fall into place.

They are just details.

username93
29 April 2006, 23:13
You remind me of me when I was 15 and 16. About the only thing I can say is there's a whole lot of "I" and "me" in that. Realize it's not so much about you and what you can get out of the Army...more importantly, what do you do for the Army? It's a hypothetical that doesn't need a specific answer; it's the mindset. You're not going to get the job you want, so forget about it. Period. Once you move past that, focus on what you bring to the table (really good at languages? Computers? Do well with biology?) and how that can help support the warfighter. That's right, SUPPORT.

I can't. I'm sorry. I need to be the warfighter.

I tried to sign up before. A few months ago I walked into a recruiters office ready to sign an 89D or an 31A contract. I thought I had gotten past the whole dedicated door-kicker thing and I thought I could handle serving my country in a Support role. I was sitting in a chair waiting for a recruiter to open up when I saw one really scrawny incredibly pathetic looking dude with glasses sitting at one of the chairs and talking with a recruiter about an 11x with a ranger option. And he got it too!!!! I couldn’t believe he was even eligible for the army, he couldn’t have been older than 17 and weigh more than 120lbs! and he wasn’t a ripped 120, he was one of those tall lanky types. I try not to judge people by the outside, but you could tell he wasn't an athlete! I could have broken him over my knee and all he had to do was ask for an RIP and he got it. I just couldn’t take it, I got up and walked out. Maybe that was selfish of me.

Guys, I want to serve my country, I want to serve really bad but I can’t do it from behind a desk. Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but I just can’t take the whole sitting down fighting the war scene. Myself being very right brained and full of anger need to be moving around. It makes me restless just thinking about it and I’m even taking breaks from writing this post to get up and walk around. If my country really needed desk workers, I could probably suck it up and be a desk worker and what would keep me sane is that I’d know that I answered a call for desk workers, but the call was for door-kickers and that’s the one I want to answer.

I wish I could say that I had all my stuff together. I’m not a prep-school grad, I got kicked out of catholic school, my LAUSD gpa was a 3.00, my room is a mess, I pace when I’m restless, and I’m just about as unorganized as most 18 y/o’s that walk through the recruiters doors. I was one of the students who didn’t do as well as they could have in education because they were bored with school, and that’s my bad. I’m intelligent but too fiery, I have a lot of informed political opinions but state them at the wrong times, I push people into corners too much, I’m impatient and I’m not nice. I tried taking a desk job once but only lasted a day (at least I made it through the entire day) and am much happier painting houses with my dad. I’m not the “perfect recruit.” I’m hoping the military can make me one.

And maybe I am making this sound too much about “me.” Maybe I’m too egocentric. I don’t know. To sum it up, I’ll do anything to avoid a desk. I think I have a lot to offer my country, but if out of all the things they can ask of me, if they ask me to sit at a desk, my reply would be a heavy sight and “do I have to?” I'll serve my country any way they want me to, but it'll hurt me. I’m sorry I just have a real issue with the desk thing. Is there anything else I can do?...rephrase, is there anything else I’m allowed to do?

I’ve come across the thread posted above before and have skimmed it but haven’t read the entire 10 pages until now. Its mostly about Intel Positions. Not that I wouldn’t qualify for an intel job, I speak Albanianglish but could probably get fluent without much difficulty, and I think that eventually a lot of doors would open up and I’d get some excitement, but it just bothers me that I’d have to go the whole intel route, do a lot of sitting on my hands and watching the war on tv, and wait patiently for something to come along that might never come, when someone else just has to ask for something in their contract and get it instantly. I’m bothered guys, I’m bothered. I feel like a pitbull behind a fence. Its killing me!

Maybe the army is not for me, and maybe I’m not what they’re looking for, but at least I’m willing to be honest about my shortcomings and try to fix them for the sake of serving my country. When I say I want to fight the war, I know a lot of thankless work is being done by people not directly involved, and thank god for them, but what I mean is I want to get my hands dirty and I want to see combat.

I first looked into EOD since it was supposedly the second toughest school in the military and I’m very dexterous with my hands, but I don’t know if they have a combat mission. MP’s are seeing tons of action, but how challenging is MP? Women can be aerial gunners and fighter pilots, but not in the 160th (damn), but its still really high on my possible MOS list. I want a challenge. My friend said to me once almost as a joke that I should be a SERE specialist because I’d make a hell of an interrogator and I’d love the outdoor’s/physical part of it. If I didn’t want to fight the war so bad, I might have signed up for that a long time ago. Maybe I’m getting too held up on getting my hands dirty and seeing combat, I just want to get as close as possible. I can’t serve my country in a job I hate as well as I can in a job I love. I’m willing to go against my family and everyone who knows me. Irrational, immature, egocentric, maybe.

In 20 years I want to look back on my life and say I had a hell of a ride. In 10 years I either want to still be in the army having a hell of a ride or out making documentaries or writing for National Geographic or traveling or something challenging. In 5 years I want to either still be in the army or out of school starting my carreer. Tommorrow?-- I want to fight the war.

Winnie
29 April 2006, 23:42
I think you need to do some more reading about how the Army works...you seem to put the Army's role on a dualistic belt "door kickers" and "desk workers".

You should also research what females have done for this war..and how they have served..some paying the ultimate sacrifice.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4721940/

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2005/jun/16/061608850.html

Queen Beach
30 April 2006, 00:36
Search it out....then decide. Reading your posts makes me wonder exactly "why" you want to join....:confused:

Search ....
http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50452&highlight=women+combat

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45732&highlight=women+combat

Love My Rifle More Than You: Young and Female in the U.S. Army (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0393060985/ref=sib_dp_top_ex/103-3867194-5919817?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S00J#reader-link

Lurch
30 April 2006, 01:09
username93 you should just calm down and see things how they are and not how you think they should be.
If you really want to serve pick something you can do and do it, the rest will fall into place and doors will open once your eyes are open. Just because you’re not in a combat MOS doesn’t mean you sit behind a desk. Jessica Lynch was “just a truck driver” and other chicks have seen some shit but I bet they didn’t have poor attitudes or a chip on their shoulder. You’ll gain a strong family in the Military that won’t let you down.
Read the signature line I have I love it.

Doogie320
30 April 2006, 01:13
I'll be the bad guy.

You need to stay out of the military. It is not the place for you to repair whatever issues you have, it will not be the locomotive to help you pull your baggage.

These men and women have walked the path you wish to and yet you are blowing them off?

"Help me, Obi Peace-Corps, you are my only hope."

Your desire to serve has, IMO, less to do with your country and more to do with you and your image of yourself. You've been given your options, you were offered some of the best advice that you'll find ANYWHERE and yet you don't want to hear it?

Good luck with your endeavors as a civilian. Give Dr. Katz or Dr. Melfi a call, maybe they can help. We're spent here.

magician
30 April 2006, 03:12
Nah. No offense, but she is 18.

I was pretty fucked up when I was 18. (I still am, yes, but that is another topic).

I think that a tour in the MPs would be just what you need. You would get some of the starch kicked out of you. You would get some organization and some discipline, and after your first tour, you would know better what you really want to do.

Be warned, though, that MPs do paperwork, and they sit at desks, too.

They also ride convoys in Iraq. And women carry guns, and they man the crew served machine guns.

Do not worry so much about what others think or say. Visualize your goal, then just go do it.

Good luck.

username93
30 April 2006, 03:38
(man this all going to hell)

Alright. You tell me what I'm supposed to do. I'm not going to say anything.

Girls in Canada can fight for their country.

Doogie320
30 April 2006, 03:42
Magic Man, coming from you, none taken. It is a fair criticism and rebuttal. Even if I were to take offense, it is your house, not mine.

You know as well as I that there is a fine line between dragging your baggage to the service and becoming a stud vice dragging your baggage and becoming a shitbird. The opportunities to go either way are presented in combat arms units and CS/ CSS units (though one could easily argue that CA units do a better job at "rehabilitating" soldiers).

My beef is that she came in and played some coy type of game/ banter/ rapport with us and then asked a question (so far, so good I guess if you are into SOCNET.match.dating.com) and THEN when you and others presented their opinions she came back with a "Yeah, I know that but that isn't what I want to do so someone help me find this job" type of reply.

In short, she blew all of you off AND sought a shoulder or 20 to cry on.

I can't fathom helping someone like that and we've seen firsthand what happens to individuals with that tendancy in uniform. Typically, they become a burden on their unit. You deal with your issues and move on OR you let them slow you down and hinder you (and by default those around you).

Maybe she'll have an epiphany and see the light one day.

Based on her posts my gut tells me she won't. If she does she'll have emptied her luck bucket in the process and I'll eat crow when it is time. To me, she isn't making a strong case for herself or for our assistance.

Doogie320
30 April 2006, 03:50
(man this all going to hell)

Alright. You tell me what I'm supposed to do. I'm not going to say anything.

Wench, Compforce, Mottbomb, Magician, Winnie, Steve 1/75, and Queen Beach laid it out for you. You cannot be an 11 or 18 series. The closest the Army will allow to get to an Infantry MOS is in the MPs. All other MOSs are getting shot at and returning fire and doing great things. They also sit behind a desk from time to time.

WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? 7 posters gave you WORLD CLASS advice IN YOUR OWN THREAD asking for it.

username93
30 April 2006, 04:01
I don't need anything else. That's all. Forget it. I knew this would happen.

Look. I want to be a f-ing infantry soldier. BUT since I can't I asked if there was anything I could get that would get me closer to the job I want. If MP is the closest I can get then hell that's what I asked! I didn't ask my question strait out because I knew you guys would jump all over me like you've done with so many other GUYS who've come on this board asking similar questions. I needed to ask for myself. I don't get it, I try to give you loads of respect and it still didn't work. I don't know what else to say guys, thanks for everything.

Doogie320
30 April 2006, 04:25
The rules are the rules whether we agree with them or not. Some even offer a waiver. You are in a no-win, un-waiverable situation. Thousands (maybe more) are turned down every year at their dream shot because they are in the same position, and some are (gasp!) men.

The board (yes, this one) has gone above and beyond to help younglings in similar circumstances as yours. So much so some of those became a Sticky or we tell them (younglings) to go search for it. You have no idea how many times I’ve seen an officer or NCO place a phone call or send an email on the behalf of someone on this board. As a result, some of those success stories are in uniform and doing great things with great units.

You have been, and still are, treated no better or worse than any other member finding themselves in the same circumstances. They gave you answers, you declined them for your own reasons I guess. Sometimes the truth is a horrible burden to bear.

Get over yourself and stop throwing the pity party. We hate confetti anyway.

Lurch
30 April 2006, 12:01
No one has flamed you, you asked and you received.
You have heart but thin skin, if you only wanted to know if there’s anyway you can get into a combat MOS you have your answer if you want to serve this site can help but you’re the only one that can decide to take the red pill or the blue pill.

godfather
30 April 2006, 12:33
So join the IDF if all you want to do is be a grunt. My bet is they will have some action in the near future.

If you want to serve this country in combat arms,then MP is just about as close as you can get. You want an even harder challenge, go Marine MP :) Hell, maybe you can talk your way onto a base SRT team, and you have a VERY high chance of going to the sand box. I have a good buddy that is a MSGT MP in the Corps. His op tempo is very high. I would be happy to give you some contact info for him and he can tell you no-shit what you can expect in a Jarhead MP outfit.
gf

username93
30 April 2006, 14:11
I'd appreciate that.

godfather
30 April 2006, 14:28
PM out. Call him Top.
gf

SOTB
30 April 2006, 15:59
Alright. You tell me what I'm supposed to do. I'm not going to say anything.Perfect. Since I am going to tell you to STFU, you should be way ahead of the power-curve.Girls in Canada can fight for their country.So vote differently in the next election or move north. Until things change, all of your whining will only appear like whining. You've received good advice, and NO -- you did not deserve it. Now follow that advice or go flip burgers -- no one here will lose an iota of sleep over your choice. Your next post few posts are likely to define your time here -- and it is already noted how you whine about how we treat wanabes on the board and in case you failed to notice -- WE DON'T CARE....

KidA
30 April 2006, 16:01
blah blah blah 120lbs blah blah.

I know quite a few people wearing the green beret and the black, er, tan, beret who fit quite well with the description you gave of the guy you claim you could break over your knee. It's not always the muscles - it's the drive and dedication.

The ONLY thing you should have taken away from that little scenario?

He signed on the line. You got up and walked away. In other words? You quit.

P.S. I first looked into EOD since it was supposedly the second toughest school in the military and I’m very dexterous with my hands, but I don’t know if they have a combat mission.

Quit looking for shit based on whether you heard if it was "tough" or not. A challenge? Yes. But the interest has to be there. If you aren't genuinely interested in a school you're wasting the slot for someone who is just so you can tell bar stories about how "tough" your school's MOS is. Yawn.

Sean0352
30 April 2006, 17:43
Quote:
I first looked into EOD since it was supposedly the second toughest school in the military and I’m very dexterous with my hands, but I don’t know if they have a combat mission.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and throw out something on EOD school. I know of quite a few FEMALE EOD techs, most are Navy, one holds an instructor billet. I know one female Marine tech and another female soldier who is on her way to getting her crab. IT IS ONE OF THE TOUGHEST SCHOOL'S WE HAVE IN THE MILITARY!!!!! I hope you find what your looking for anyway you look at it. Everyone here knows their shit! Good Luck!

GackMan
30 April 2006, 20:52
Perfect. Since I am going to tell you to STFU, you should be way ahead of the power-curve.So vote differently in the next election or move north. Until things change, all of your whining will only appear like whining. You've received good advice, and NO -- you did not deserve it. Now follow that advice or go flip burgers -- no one here will lose an iota of sleep over your choice. Your next post few posts are likely to define your time here -- and it is already noted how you whine about how we treat wanabes on the board and in case you failed to notice -- WE DON'T CARE....

SOTB beat me to it.

Username93 - it isn't about what you want, or what you can do. Fact is that right now, there are no chicks in combat arms MOSes.

Knowing that, looks for ways to serve if that is what you want to do, if not. Don't join the military. Not much discussion in between there.

On one hand, you annoy the shit out of me since you know the constraints that you are in but won't shut up about it. is it unfair that you can't get a shot at the title? maybe. but talking smack on the internet isn't going to change US DOD policy re: females in combat any time soon.

On the other hand I admire the fact that you just want to serve and are not looking a free ride on Uncle Sugar's dime.

Your 3 'best bets' as a female are MP, MI, or EOD. You've been given that advice several times in several posts. Pick a job, sign the paper, get trained, do your job the best you can, and doors will open up for you if you have your shit together.

Bottom line: You can sit on the sidelines and pout because they won't let you play QB or you can get in the fucking game and help out.

LibraryLady
30 April 2006, 23:18
Username 93,

Quit your sniveling. Life ain’t fair and the Army isn’t run to suit your whims. Females don’t get to do everything that men do in the military. Your physical prowess doesn’t change that a bit. It’s a fact of life and it probably won’t change soon, not in my lifetime, much less yours. Be glad you can get into the MOS’s that are available to you and go to a hot zone.

EOD is extremely tough, ever think about what will happen if you can’t cut it once you’re in the school? That’s right you’ll get an MOS of the Army’s choice, and they’re always needing more clerks and cooks. That being said, the BTDT’s on this board, who have done so much that I have never done, have told you MORE THAN ONCE that just because you aren’t an 11 or 18 series doesn’t mean you won’t be seeing lead projectiles heading your way, or an IED blowing up in your face. Pay attention to who’s giving you advice, one of them is an active duty female and I’m sure all the males have worked around females in the sandbox. They know what they are talking about and you should be more respectful of the advice they are giving you.

You got issues, girl, and having you in the military sounds like a REALLY bad idea. I worked with female MP’s with your same attitude and they were NOT exemplary soldiers. Lose the chip on your shoulder, be grateful to be serving your country in ANY capacity and work your damned butt off to be the best in your field whatever it may be.

I served almost 20 years ago for five and a half years, never saw combat, I’m glad I did my time and in a heartbeat would do it again. I held a support role, I was a Veterinary Technician and proud of it.

**BTDT’s – I’ve never butted into something like this before, but I REALLY have a problem with females with this attitude about the military.

LL

Fire-Gunner
1 May 2006, 00:47
I served almost 20 years ago for five and a half years, never saw combat, I’m glad I did my time and in a heartbeat would do it again. I held a support role, I was a Veterinary Technician and proud of it.

Thank you for your service, LL.

ET1/ss nuke
9 May 2006, 14:36
A lot of hoorah stuff will likely be posted. If that's what you want to do then do it.

Cooks are fighting the war, admin clerks are fighting the war, finance guys are. Fighting the war isn't just shooting bad guys.

People here at home are fighting the war: they're giving blood, they're donating to food kitchens, they're arranging events for wives left behind, and soldiers who come home injured. They're sending care packages, they're writing letters. They're soliciting donations for the USO, and etc and so on.

Without all of that the war, as it were, would be lost.

Good luck.

KidA, this may be your finest post ever. This thread had been fun to read just for your post and Doogie's.

Bailaviborita
9 May 2006, 22:49
username- by your heartfelt pining for war- it sounds like you want to be a Ranger more than a "Green Beret" :)

I don't know how- but I've seen RTB females wear the Ranger beret- but it's not really close to the "Green Beret", so that might not satisfy you. ;)

On a serious note: your emotions, while charming for a female wrestler, would not get you far if you were allowed to go to the Q. That is one reason having the 18X program stirs up so much emotions here: because young people are more prone to emotions. Emotions will usually get people killed, therefore I'd recommend you get some other experience before going SF IF you were a male.

On options: to hell with intel and MP's. Go psyops or civil affairs. That's real close to the GB....... club. Ha, ha- seriously, they're in Army SpecOps and deployed constantly and are armed (usually). And people may look for you there too- if you shine. There are always opportunities for those who are very good at whatever they have been trained to do.

Oh, and one other thing: no matter where you go, Ranger, SF, CA, Psyop, MP, Intel, 82nd, etc- you will eventually do paperwork. And you may never see a battlefield. What if you were a guy, got sent to SF and spent your entire time deployed to Thailand doing FID? Then got sent to HQ to monitor AAR's from the guys in combat? What would you do then, internally combust? You better not, because those guys are counting on you to square away their AAR's so that lessons are learned by the next group coming over. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't sign on the dotted line- no matter your sex or combat dreams.

BCoRanger
10 May 2006, 06:32
username- by your heartfelt pining for war- it sounds like you want to be a Ranger more than a "Green Beret" :)

So thats why i'm so turned on.... :D

DrlSgt
10 May 2006, 07:55
When I was on the trail, I had a female bay, half of my platoon each cycle would be females. I would always ask them "why did you join my beloved Army?" Eventually they would all give me the standard answer of discipline, financial reasons, bettering their future as single moms or whatever. I never got a female soldier tell me that they wanted to go to war and cut off heads of Iraqi's terrorist. Now the males would say that only because at their age tis' was a macho thing to do...

Most female I had come through my platoon for basic training after being the field for 5-6 days would eventually realized that being a 42A clerical specialist wasn't a bad way to go in today's Army. Nothing wrong with being a cook, clerk, mechanics...these days like alot of the posting say everyone gets some actions and a chance to earn that CAB.

I always tell my soldiers when they graduated, its not about what you really do in the Army, its about WHAT you do FOR the Army. You do it for the guy to left and right of you, you do what you can to support the mission, and bring yourself and your comrades home in one piece and live till you're old and gray, and perhaps one day you can tell your kids and grandkids that you answered the call when the call came.

Sorry to be long winded, I just felt compell to write this. Thanks for you time reading an old soldier's ranting and raving.

Cold1
10 May 2006, 08:43
Can women be medics? You try something in the medical feild. You just may find that its more rewarding than anything else you can do. You will help soldiers when they need it the most. No you wont be a "Door Kicker", but even a " door Kicker' is going to hurt his foot and then you can be His Hero.

You have a helluva chip on your shoulder, What do you have to prove? Who are you trying to prove it to? If you want to be in the Army then here is something to help you along:
"This is the Army, It is not a democracy or fair. So shut the Fuck up, Suck it up and Drive on".
Direct Quote from my drill sargent 16 years ago and it still applies today.

Purple36
14 May 2006, 11:04
Well, there you go. For all that tough talk, our friend does not seem to have the requisite attitude to deal with life's harsh realities and to drive on. Too much sense of entitlement in the younger people these days, I see it in the people we bring in unfortunately.

93-put your money where your attitude is and make something of yourself-the direction you choose is up to you. You can go through life with a piss poor attitude and turn everyone off-or you can put that drive toward being a contribution to this society and be someone people respect and admire-it's all in your mind-stop thinking like a victim, get over yourself and give of yourself.

username93
18 May 2006, 19:37

I don't know how- but I've seen RTB females wear the Ranger beret- but it's not really close to the "Green Beret", so that might not satisfy you. ;)

On a serious note: your emotions, while charming for a female wrestler, would not get you far if you were allowed to go to the Q. That is one reason having the 18X program stirs up so much emotions here: because young people are more prone to emotions. Emotions will usually get people killed, therefore I'd recommend you get some other experience before going SF IF you were a male.

On options: to hell with intel and MP's. Go psyops or civil affairs. That's real close to the GB....... club. Ha, ha- seriously, they're in Army SpecOps and deployed constantly and are armed (usually). And people may look for you there too- if you shine. There are always opportunities for those who are very good at whatever they have been trained to do.

Oh, and one other thing: no matter where you go, Ranger, SF, CA, Psyop, MP, Intel, 82nd, etc- you will eventually do paperwork. And you may never see a battlefield. What if you were a guy, got sent to SF and spent your entire time deployed to Thailand doing FID? Then got sent to HQ to monitor AAR's from the guys in combat? What would you do then, internally combust? You better not, because those guys are counting on you to square away their AAR's so that lessons are learned by the next group coming over. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't sign on the dotted line- no matter your sex or combat dreams.

I'm not sure I should post on this board anymore, I'm now uptight about my choice of words. I feel compelled to not leave anything hanging. Why this is the case, I am not sure.

It seems as if I pressed the issue too hard that I would prefer a job where I am actively engaging in opperations as opposed to not actively engaging. For this, I apologise.

What I mean, as an athlete, and as a "young person," is that I feel that I could do more for my country directly than I would be able to indirectly. Its all about service, I feel like I would be doing a miservice to my country by not enlisting in a field where all of my strengths can be exploited. I would always feel like there would be more I could do, and I would have trouble bearing that when I see people who need help and me not being able (allowed) to help. I will do paperwork, as long as paperwork is not my entire job.

On a final note, I thank all service members for their contribution to this country. My best friend came back safe from Iraq today, so I guess its time to make my decision. GB, Psyops, MP, I just want to fight the war. I feel this is something that I need to do, regardless of whether or not this community supports my decision to serve. I'd be general infantry with no fancy patches and no special schools or cool ops for my entire career if I could, just to do what I feel is my calling. Whether that is right or wrong, I will let the Military decide.

Bailaviborita-- you said that you knew of females wearing the Ranger Beret. Could you please explain? Thank you.

LibraryLady
19 May 2006, 00:46
Username93,

Let me put this bluntly.

You = pussy.
Infantry or Spec Ops = dick.

See the disconnect? It ain't gonna change.... No matter how hard you whine.

This community is not questioning your decision to serve, it is questioning the WAY you want to serve. Military service isn't about your wants, it's about mission needs and your "calling" is not a need. As I said before, lose the massive chip on your shoulder; perfect the art of humility and serve for the betterment of your country, not your ego.

So what if you are in outstanding shape. Good for you. Like me, you'll probably get OUT of shape attending basic/boot. Watch your intake of food, or you'll gain weight too. :p

You seem to think the only place for your physical capabilities is kicking down doors and 'doing more for your country directly, rather than indirectly' (paraphrasing you). Excuse me??? If not for mechanics, how would the Hummers stay running. Military Working Dogs are necessary and valuable tools in combat, but an absolute bitch to move at 80-100+ pounds and unconscious. Not to mention if you're a human medic, working, moving and transporting wounded, while under fire. Don't think CS and CSS are not contributing "directly." They are vital to every mission and frequently require people in outstanding shape.

Don't you have any other attributes to contribute to the military? Spec Ops is NOT all about physical fitness. Your lack of understanding of this basic concept is annoying and can be construed as indicative of your intelligence level. Other requirements: brains, common sense, a mindset to never quit, an ability to reason logically and rationally... shall I go on?

Suck it up, understand that women can not serve in all the jobs that a man can. Do what you can and be proud you did more than most of the rest of your countrymen/women. Your attitude belittles all of us women who have served and are serving.

LL

GackMan
19 May 2006, 01:13
Hey - your still here... surprise surprise...

Did you make a decision and enlist yet? MP, MI, EOD, CA ? Go see a recruiter and see what you get offered. Report back here with your options and I'm sure people will help you keep from getting fucked by the recruiter.

Bailaviborita-- you said that you knew of females wearing the Ranger Beret. Could you please explain? Thank you.

Bailaviborita was talking about females in SUPPORT roles in the RTB (Ranger Training Brigade). According to you, you don't want that... long summers in Georgia that do not involve fighting a war.

username93
19 May 2006, 01:47
Well at least I know I don't want to be a verteranary tech.

Cheers.

GackMan
19 May 2006, 02:09

At last we all know that you don't really want to be in the military or you would have signed a contract by now.

Wench
19 May 2006, 06:19
At last we all know that you don't really want to be in the military or you would have signed a contract by now.

Amen.

BlahblahblahI'mnotbadgehuntingblahblahblahHowdoIge taRangerberet?blahblahblah

BCoRanger
19 May 2006, 06:22
Username93,

Let me put this bluntly.

You = pussy.

LL

Are you sure about that? :eek:

BCoRanger
19 May 2006, 06:22
Amen.

HowdoIgetaRangerberet?blahblahblah

There are two ways.... the easy and the hard way ;)

ex
19 May 2006, 07:42
There are two ways.... the easy and the hard way ;)
hahahahaha
Wench? :D

Wench
19 May 2006, 07:47
Nah, I'm not the one who wants one. If one doesn't work for the young lady, she's welcome to try the other! Work smarter and not harder, you know LOL.

LibraryLady
19 May 2006, 10:03
Are you sure about that? :eek:

Well, I could care less, but considering your, ah, inclinations, what would you prefer her to have? :D

Username93,

Dictionary.com is a useful tool, I'd suggest using it frequently, whether you sign a contract or not.

If you don't think you can handle patients who don't complain and generally weigh less than you, I'd suggest you stay away from being a medic, too. Army dogs (the human kind) are not known for being polite and considerate when they are hurting... LOL But what am I saying, you aren't going to sign on the dotted line. You'd rather complain.

LL

Kurt V
19 May 2006, 10:21
I can't believe I didn't read this thread before now. What a fucking load of shit I am reading here. (Doogie, SOTB, and a couple of others that told her to STFU excepted). If users93 was a dude he would have been laughed off the board by now.

User93 let me distill my feelings about you and this thread:

1. You're nothing but a dyke attention whore.
2. You have no intentions of joining the military.
3. Go find another board to whine on.

As for you guys sniffing around her. Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Did you look at her pictures? No one, with perhaps the exception of BCo, could be that desperate.

BCoRanger
19 May 2006, 10:38
Pay no attention to Kurt. He is just upset that the Admins rejected his idea for "Gay Thursdays" starring himself of course.

Polar Bear
19 May 2006, 10:45
How I missed this I don't know but I think your a dude looking for a sex change...

Doogie320
19 May 2006, 10:49
Someone is joining the mouuntain ruck running bulldozer, I'm better than you archive files.

Polar Bear
19 May 2006, 10:51
Someone is joining the mouuntain ruck running bulldozer, I'm better than you archive files.

LMAO

KidA
19 May 2006, 11:07
I just want to fight the war. I feel this is something that I need to do, regardless of whether or not this community supports my decision to serve.

What fucking community, Missie? This one? I hope you aren't talking about THIS community because we've been nothing but supportive of you and answered your questions and offered you guidance - some more harsh than others - until you continued to run your suck and insult the intelligence of those who did try to offer you guidance at which point you got told to STFU. That means Shut the Fuck Up. A lot of acronyms are used in the military but you'll never learn them because you'll never STFU long enough to sign on the damned line.

I'd be general infantry with no fancy patches and no special schools or cool ops for my entire career if I could, just to do what I feel is my calling.

It ain't your calling. Why? Because you can't do it. It is impossible for you to achieve. It's akin to saying "My calling is to soar over the Grand Fucking Canyon just using my arms for wings."

Whether that is right or wrong, I will let the Military decide.

No you won't. You won't STFU long enough to do it.

My best friend came back safe from Iraq today, so I guess its time to make my decision.
WTF does one thing have to do with the other? Your best friend has something you don't. I'll leave it up to you to decide WTF that is.

I would be general infantry....ooh, but you know a way I can get a Beret?

STELFU!

That's Shut the Ever Loving Fuck Up.

Oh and your little veiled missives at MOSs that you think are beneath you aren't appreciated one bit. You wouldn't be a Vet Tech? You won't be Admin? You won't do this but you HAVE to fight the war? You HAVE to serve?

Raider Rakkasans
19 May 2006, 11:17
Is that a dude or a broad? The public profile has a bunch of man things on it? I am so CONFUSED!

LibraryLady
19 May 2006, 11:19
...the mouuntain ruck running bulldozer, I'm better than you archive files.

Is that geek speak for a round file? :p

LL

Hard H2O
19 May 2006, 11:29
Is the U.S. Military still a team effort?

I personally am proud to have served in a support role for 12 years. I am offended that someone feels that they are better than me and would not stoop to serve at my level.

18 year olds nowadays can be so full of drama and saga. It would be nice for them to learn that they are not in charge of things. Much of the time rules and people with more experience and a higher pay grade will be making decisions for them.

Country folk seem to grasp this a lot sooner in life than angst ridden city girls.

I wasn't at the tip of the spear. I was pretty closer to the opposite end.

Hard H2O
19 May 2006, 11:30

LL

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13393&highlight=bulldozer

Doogie320
19 May 2006, 12:03

LL

No, it means that even if the thread goes away Uselessname93 will live infamy (not infantry) for ever alongside BenningBound and Lucid. I'm sure there are other wannabes with big mouths that I've forgotten.

Let the list begin.

It fucking KILLS me at times to see young men come onto this board, sign up, and go off and get hurt and "fall short" of their goals. I can think of two that have either accepted it and moved on with their lives or are in the process of doing so. They asked for nothing, for no special treatment, only a CHANCE. When luck wasn't on their side they picked up the pieces and continued like MEN.

Stains like Uselessname and Lucid and bulldozer boy don't get that. They aren't fit to carry (insert name here)'s jock strap much less wear the same uniform.

Uselessname doesn't get that. BenningBound didn't want it. Lucid was too weak to work for it.

I have no sympathy.

LibraryLady
19 May 2006, 12:18
I have no sympathy.

I'm in agreement with you, Doogie. I just didn't realize the admins kept threads like bulldozer bouncer boy. I suppose though, keeping them for object lessons is a good thing. Not that the right people will learn said lessons. :rolleyes:

LL

Polar Bear
19 May 2006, 12:22
It fucking KILLS me at times to see young men come onto this board, sign up, and go off and get hurt and "fall short" of their goals. I can think of two that have either accepted it and moved on with their lives or are in the process of doing so. They asked for nothing, for no special treatment, only a CHANCE. When luck wasn't on their side they picked up the pieces and continued like MEN.

Very well said Doogie

Winnie
19 May 2006, 13:01
Is that a dude or a broad? The public profile has a bunch of man things on it? I am so CONFUSED!
:D

P...username is female :)

mara
19 May 2006, 13:08
No, it means that even if the thread goes away Uselessname93 will live infamy (not infantry) for ever alongside BenningBound and Lucid. I'm sure there are other wannabes with big mouths that I've forgotten.

Let the list begin.

"Mr. John XXXXXXX, 18X Bigmouth," always a favorite.

/////

Doogie, excellent post.

username93
19 May 2006, 15:15
How I missed this I don't know but I think your a dude looking for a sex change...

This is ridiculous. What is wrong with all of you???? The voice of reason is taking cheap shots at my short hair? What is your problem????

I've tried to be as F**** respectful as I can, but this is ridiculous! You guys get off on running people off the board and I took a huge chance by using my real name as opposed to an alias, which I thought you would appreciate, but I guess that was a mistake as well.

I feel like the whole reason we're fighting a war is because I'm not wearing a burqa, and I also feel like there's nothing I can do about it. You're probably wondering why I'm still here. Because I used my real name and now I'm defending it. How dare you accuse me of being a dyke? Its not fair! I'm an individualist with intelligent thoughts and opinions and you just bash me like its a personal passtime?! I have a right to my personality and so do all of you, but I also have a right to my dignity and I think words are being put into my mouth. If you expect me to participate willingly in my subordination, you are mistaken.

Therefore I request the administrators lock this thread for good and allow me to remove any identifying information about my real name. Thanks for nothing.

Raider Rakkasans
19 May 2006, 15:23
This is ridiculous. What is wrong with all of you???? The voice of reason is taking cheap shots at my short hair? What is your problem????

I've tried to be as F**** respectful as I can, but this is ridiculous! You guys get off on running people off the board and I took a huge chance by using my real name as opposed to an alias, which I thought you would appreciate, but I guess that was a mistake as well.

I feel like the whole reason we're fighting a war is because I'm not wearing a burqa, and I also feel like there's nothing I can do about it. You're probably wondering why I'm still here. Because I used my real name and now I'm defending it. How dare you accuse me of being a dyke? Its not fair! I'm an individualist with intelligent thoughts and opinions and you just bash me like its a personal passtime?! I have a right to my personality and so do all of you, but I also have a right to my dignity and I think words are being put into my mouth. If you expect me to participate willingly in my subordination, you are mistaken.

Therefore I request the administrators lock this thread for good and allow me to remove any identifying information about my real name. Thanks for nothing.

LMAO!!!!! :D :D

If you think this is rough then don't bother going into the US Armed Forces. You will rip your hair out!! LOL!!!!

Hard H2O
19 May 2006, 15:41

The military is all about subordination to the team. There are rules and regulations. You follow them or get the boot.

You loose a bit of your dignity in basic.

Why do kids today want our institutions to conform to them instead of the other way around? If you want to carry a gun and go into harms way on a daily basis my non HSLD self suggests a law enforcement, corrections, firefighter, EMT carreer.

The Corporate Guy
19 May 2006, 15:44
Username93,

Let me put this bluntly.

You = pussy.
Infantry or Spec Ops = dick.

See the disconnect?

LL

Holy shit, that was funny.

The Corporate Guy
19 May 2006, 15:48

Cheers.

Has she met Tony762? :)

The Corporate Guy
19 May 2006, 15:58

Y'all think Bailaviborita is on to something here?

Time for Username to head back to the kiddie pool.

Fire-Gunner
19 May 2006, 16:02
Its not fair! I'm an individualist with intelligent thoughts and opinions blah blah blah!

Please, please, please! Do NOT join any branch of the U.S. Military in ANY capacity! We can't use you.

Slim
19 May 2006, 16:04
Because I used my real name and now I'm defending it. How dare you accuse me of being a dyke? Its not fair! I'm an individualist with intelligent thoughts and opinions and you just bash me like its a personal passtime?! I have a right to my personality and so do all of you, but I also have a right to my dignity and I think words are being put into my mouth. If you expect me to participate willingly in my subordination, you are mistaken.

You're not defending your name, you're sullying it further by not following valuable advice given by quality advisors. It has made you look like a fool. bobody else did that, you did it to yourself. I fyou had been interested in maintaining a good name, when given sound advice you would have said "roger that", signed a contract and moved out. Instead you took the "life isn't fair, I should be allowed to do just what I want attitude."

I know you will continue to lay your current disposition at the feet of those who tried to help you, but you are wrong. You created this for yourself.

Now, if you really meant what you said earlier about serving, you will not let this conversation dissuade you, you will drive on, find the job that you are NEEDED for and serve with honor.

But you didn't mean it, you are now discouraged and your feelings are hurt. Your excuse to not follow through has arrived.

Edited to add: I was using the New Posts button and forgot that this was the General Special Operations forum. Poor as hell SA. My apologes for swerving out of my lane. If my comments are not wanted. I will remove them.

GackMan
19 May 2006, 16:08

so, I take it you didn't use the afternoon to do down and sign a DEP contract?

ex
19 May 2006, 16:57
How dare you accuse me of being a dyke? Its not fair! I'm an individualist with intelligent thoughts and opinions and you just bash me like its a personal passtime?! I have a right to my personality and so do all of you, but I also have a right to my dignity and I think words are being put into my mouth. If you expect me to participate willingly in my subordination, you are mistaken.

If I had a dime for everytime someone on the Board called me a lesbo.........
:D

Sorry for making a serious comment in a forum I don't belong in ~~

I have never served, I was just the wife of a BTDT. So why am I not being "run off the board"?
Because I'm respectful to the other members (except for BCo ;)) and I know my place.
You don't, you're a hard headed idiot who likes to argue way too much.
Maybe when you're older, you'll learn.
Good luck, have a nice life.

Polar Bear
19 May 2006, 17:07

If your a girl send me naked pictures if your a guy send them to Bco. I personally could care less what your name is, do you think I am coming to find you, do a cup check to test my theory. I like short hair the one picture in the blue dress you look very nice. Grow some thick skin, grow up and go get laid.

PB

Edit to add does this mean if your a chick you won't add me to your MySpace friends list? Also do you think Hillary Clinton is HOT

Wench
19 May 2006, 17:08
If you want to carry a gun and go into harms way on a daily basis my non HSLD self suggests a law enforcement, corrections, firefighter, EMT carreer.

Um, no. She doesn't have what it takes for the military, nor for any of those jobs. She needs to go to Harvard and hang out with like-minded kids.

magician
19 May 2006, 17:20
Friend, what you are experiencing is the sort of repartee that is common in the barracks. If you can get over yourself long enough to develop some calluses, you might realize that any identifiable characteristic is fair game. Your hair, your nose, your sexual orientation, your personality, your ethnic origin, your political beliefs, everything, are prone to be used against you. And yes, as new meat, it is open season on you.

If you let yourself relax a bit, you might realize that people are communicating with you. You just do not realize it. You think that you are being abused. You are, but there is more to it. There is an undercurrent, and if you listen, you might realize that information is being given to you. It just comes in a package.

It can help if you learn to look your antagonists in the eye, betray absolutely no emotion in response to their statements, regardless of how outlandish or amusing or factual that they may be, and then return fire with unerring accuracy, humor, (preferably sick humor), and a sense of dispassionate dismissal. In other words, learn to give what you take.

You need to be able to laugh at yourself.

Lighten up a bit.

You are a female wrestler. Of course your sexual orientation will be challenged. You are a woman. You will be asked if you like to kiss other girls. Regardless of what you say, you will be asked why, or why not. It is a species of entertainment. We do not truly care if you are gay. At least, I do not. What I care about, and what virtually every other person here cares about, is whether you can do the job, and whether you can pull as part of the team.

A little reading on these boards will reveal to you that we are very homophobic, though we do embrace those of us who hearken to the sound of the mountain banjos (like BrokeBackBco), because the guy can give what he takes, (and he does, and I love him for it, but not that way, BrokeBack, lean back in the saddle, cowboy), and because he served, and he served with distinction.

You are very young. And you do feel a sense of false entitlement. You are a product of your environment.

If you join my Army, you will learn. You will be immersed in a different culture, and you will learn to see the world our way. It is very different. This is one of the reasons why this website is so popular. We miss the military environment, we miss the barracks humor, the verbal abuse, BrokeBackBco misses his sausage-fests, and we are able to hang out, in virtual terms, with others like ourselves.

Military service may not be for you. Or, you may find that you fit right in. Only one way to find out.

Regardless, you are so young, that a short tour of three years can only be good for you, in my opinion. You will grow up. You will learn how to hang with the big boys, learn your place, learn when to speak, learn when to STFU, learn how to roll with the punches, and learn how to dish it out.

If you are truly a strong individual, you will assess your needs and your own goals, and do what you must, for yourself, regardless of what others say. This is fine, but be advised that there is a hard way, and there is an easier way. It took me years to realize that I could not impose my will upon the world and not reap consequences.

You may find that one of the things that you must do, to be true to yourself, is that you must serve others. It is ironic, that those who serve others also serve themselves. In giving, wholeheartedly, with no thought for recompense, you may find that you reap, and you reap big. It can be stunningly rewarding.

You do realize that a fine young woman, who had a great life ahead of her, died in Afghanistan recently? She is not unique. Other women have died there. Other women have put everything that they had on the line, and they ran the same risks as everybody else there, and they lost.

Yes, she was Canadian. Do a little research, and you will find that American women have also died. American women have engaged in combat. And some of them have comported themselves very well.

They all had one thing in common. They stepped up. For whatever reason.

Fate led them to a place, and whatever happened to them, happened.

But they selected that fate. They volunteered to go, and to be there.

They could have stayed home and worked in a grocery store. And that would have been fine. The world needs grocery clerks.

But they stepped up.

I wish you well. Regardless of the path that you select in life.

But I need to know: have you ever kissed a girl?

(I am kidding, missy. Or am I?)

BCoRanger
19 May 2006, 17:29
But I need to know: have you ever kissed a girl?

(I am kidding, missy. Or am I?)

More importantly, do you want to kiss a girl? :D

Just remember that Fagician is in the land of smiles because he was found to be too obscene with other guys. Too many state laws,ordnances, etc is what sent him packing. So now he practices his gayness freely.

Other than the gay segments of his post, he is dead on. Think about it.

Spinner
19 May 2006, 18:24

...blah blah blah...blah blah, blah....blah blah blahh...

My question for all of you, if you decide to answer, how can I fight this war?

I would suggest that you take some more time to fully research those MOS that you may qualify for, and then visit a recruiter. Combat Arms, at least in the Army and Marines, is off the table. You need to accept that and move on.

Bear in mind, women are out in the field right this minute, flying combat missions or rolling down the road in a convoy, in a hummer turret manning a weapon. They are fighting the war.

Read up a little on the history of women in combat. How about starting out with Col. Rhonda Cornum. It might help you to gain a little more perspective on the military on how things get done.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cocoon/vhp-stories/loc.natlib.afc2001001.19247/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0891415076/104-2816066-4897549?v=glance&n=283155

Pale_Rider
19 May 2006, 19:29

I personally am against my country's (Canada) policy on women in combat arms. If women want to serve in combat arms trades, fine. However, they should have to maintain the same fitness standard as males. Many people are against Canada's policy on women.

I wouldn't use it as an argument.

Purple36
19 May 2006, 20:09
Has she met Tony762? :)

Nope, she's just flinging a little insult LibraryLady's way.

It would be amusing for her to join and then arrange the two to meet!

Why Private X, how nice to finally meet you......:D :D

LibraryLady
19 May 2006, 20:19
Nope, she's just flinging a little insult LibraryLady's way.

It would be amusing for her to join and then arrange the two to meet!

Why Private X, how nice to finally meet you......:D :D

I'm just a cream puff..... and old. :D

'Sides I still haven't figured out what's a "verteranary tech"??? Sounds like something I or Tony wouldn't want to be!

Notice I'm the only one she insulted directly? Hmmm.... I wonder if that's 'cause I'm a grrrrl.... :p

LL

Bailaviborita
19 May 2006, 22:53
Sex change is an option that no-one has mentioned. Don't remember a question on the psych test like, "Did you used to not be a guy?"

You could wear the green beret too- here's how:

Go back in a time machine to some time in the early 90's (I think). Enlist. Get some support MOS and go to Group. Wear the green beret. Get pregnant. Walk around in tennis shoes and pregnant BDU's and the beret. But hurry- it didn't last that long... :)

Doogie320
19 May 2006, 23:09
It speaks volumes of her character when she goes after LL. Not P36 or Wench, or any of the guys....but the "lowly" Vet Tech. None of the BTDT's..."just" the Vet Tech.

LibraryLady
20 May 2006, 01:12
It speaks volumes of her character when she goes after LL. Not P36 or Wench, or any of the guys....but the "lowly" Vet Tech. None of the BTDT's..."just" the Vet Tech.

LMAO

LL

KidA
20 May 2006, 03:13

But it's so easy - I mean who but the lowliest of low would deign to put their finger in a dog's ass? That's nothing along the lines of shooting a Muslim between the eyes while enjoying a dip of copenhagen and waxing poetic about some actresses titties :rolleyes:

Purple36
20 May 2006, 08:37

Damnit Doogie, are you calling Wench and I guys!? Don't make me fly out there, don't you do it!

So Library, how's it feel as a 20 year vet (pun intended) to be called out by an 18 year old wannabe? :D BTW, I just went over 20 in December.

Note to 93-I've traveled to Burma, China, Japan, Okinawa, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, North Carolina, Maryland, DC, Florida, TX, AZ, MA, CA, Germany, Belgium, WA and most recently Iraq as part of my duties. Let's see, dressed up as an Iraqi chick, driving through the streets of Baghdad with an M4 under my hajii dress, an M11 on my thigh and a bag of 12 30 round magazines of .223, sitting next to a hulk of a guy fondling a grenade, now THAT is hot! You stay home pining for the infantry-leave the fun stuff to us.

Doogie320
20 May 2006, 08:50
Damnit Doogie, are you calling Wench and I guys!? Don't make me fly out there, don't you do it!

My "Engrish" is lacking ma'am, my apologies.

Fly out here, I dare you! LOL.....Leave the burka at home though. Pack some common sense, we are running low and could use a resupply.

Take care,

ex
20 May 2006, 10:07
So Library, how's it feel as a 20 year vet (pun intended) to be called out by an 18 year old wannabe? :D BTW, I just went over 20 in December.

Note to 93-I've traveled to Burma, China, Japan, Okinawa, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, North Carolina, Maryland, DC, Florida, TX, AZ, MA, CA, Germany, Belgium, WA and most recently Iraq as part of my duties. Let's see, dressed up as an Iraqi chick, driving through the streets of Baghdad with an M4 under my hajii dress, an M11 on my thigh and a bag of 12 30 round magazines of .223, sitting next to a hulk of a guy fondling a grenade, now THAT is hot! You stay home pining for the infantry-leave the fun stuff to us.
Damn, Purple you da man!!! ooops, you know what I mean! :D LOL

Thank you all for your service, especially the ladies! ;)

Kurt V
20 May 2006, 11:05
Someone please put this thread out of its misery.

LibraryLady
20 May 2006, 11:34
But it's so easy - I mean who but the lowliest of low would deign to put their finger in a dog's ass? That's nothing along the lines of shooting a Muslim between the eyes while enjoying a dip of copenhagen and waxing poetic about some actresses titties :rolleyes:

LOL

It's soooo easy to see you're a city boy, Kid A. A finger in a dog's ass is nothing...

Try your whole arm(s) up a cow, turning a calf that's coming out wrong... as the cow's shitting at the same time. Ain't nuthin like the miracle of birth! :D

LL

LibraryLady
20 May 2006, 11:38
So Library, how's it feel as a 20 year vet (pun intended) to be called out by an 18 year old wannabe? :D

Yawn. I signed - she won't. I traveled - she won't. I've wrestled men in more interesting places than she can dream of. ;) I just prefer to do it in private and not on some damn mat where everyone else can see.

BTW, Purple, thanks for your service. You ever manage to add WA to your list, I'll buy you a beer/coffee, etc.

KidA
20 May 2006, 12:28
LOL

It's soooo easy to see you're a city boy, Kid A. A finger in a dog's ass is nothing...

Try your whole arm(s) up a cow, turning a calf that's coming out wrong... as the cow's shitting at the same time. Ain't nuthin like the miracle of birth! :D

LL

I grew up in the Mountains, and have helped birth many a farm animal :)

I'm glad you saw the sarcastic humor of the post :)

Lurch
20 May 2006, 12:46
I grew up in the Mountains, and have helped birth many a farm animal
That he also fathered as well. :eek:

LibraryLady
20 May 2006, 13:26
That he also fathered as well. :eek:

Oh, and you can make this claim because you have personal knowledge of his abilities? :D

LL

Lurch
20 May 2006, 13:50
Oh, and you can make this claim because you have personal knowledge of his abilities? :D

LL
No but “Growing up in the mountains”, “Farm animals” and “Birthing” in the same sentence would just leave one to believe. :eek:

Typhoon
20 May 2006, 20:51
Someone please put this thread out of its misery.
This morning I had some time and caught up reading this thread. It is a SOCNET classic, and has to rate right up there with "Mr. 18x", Close encounters with Bulldozers, etc.

As funny as this thread has been, there have also been serious responses that are really well written and informative. Doogie, your ability to incisively communicate is unparalleled...

Wench, Purple, and LL, thanks for your service, and performing a job that so many women could not, or would not do...