PDA

View Full Version : SAIC. Opinions, Comments, Complaints?

L1E0D8ET
20 June 2006, 16:19
I just got offered an INCONUS position with SAIC working on a DHS contract. I know they are a reputable company due to word of mouth and internet reputation, but looking to hear more. If you have worked for them, please give me some information on what to do. Thanks

24/7
20 June 2006, 16:28
I have several friends that are currently working for them - (oconus). My impression of SAIC generally is a good one. DHS has got a lot of stuff going on at the moment, a lot of contract companies would like to be in SAIC's shoes.

The devils in the details of your contract, make sure you negotiate a good one. Hope that helps.

SN
20 June 2006, 16:53
I had SAIC and Lockheed-Martin employess at my last duty location. The SAIC folks were great, and seemed to enjoy working for SAIC.

EODDVR
20 June 2006, 18:41
I may have posted on this before...my experience is from my brother and a close friend working there, and working with SAIC. My brother left a division that was falling apart because they were growing the business as directed, with no hires to take on the additional work. My friend left when they decided to cut his division -they offered him a contract doing the same work as an independant consultant...which he took and is happy with.

SAIC in general is a good company and hires good people. There are some iffy things about their benefit package. Thier internal stock thing is bongo bucks -do not drink this coolade. Also they typically require each individual to grow the business by a certain percentage which can be daunting.

In the industry we call them the "Strategic Alliance of Independant Contractors"...and it fits.

L1E0D8ET
20 June 2006, 19:46
I am going to be working as the Site Manager with no other staff on site...haha. A Chief with no Injuns. My boss will be in CT from what I understand. They offered me a salary of 70k, I do not know if it is negotiable. I did not take the position yet and do not know some of the other things that I can negotiate for. I am new to this contractor biz, coming straight off AD a few months ago. They are fedexing me a benefits package so hopefully that will answer some of my questions. EOD, can you explain more about the stock option, whats the deal?

EODDVR
20 June 2006, 20:14
SAIC is not a publically traded company. They do offer stock options but they are created internally and not offered external to the company - private stock. SAIC claims that an independant agency determines thier stock's worth by comparing the company's economic indicators in a manner similar to stock traded publically. I've been told by SAIC employees that the "independant agency" is actually an SAIC subsidiary...the fox in the henhouse.

Suppossedly, when you leave or retire you can turn in your stock for thier face value on that day. In theory, this should work if everything is on the up and up and they have the cash in their coffers.

I'm told that recently several executives wanted to leave and cash out...and there was not real cash on hand. I do not know how it ended, but the interim solution was to keep them onboard in a full pay status while the company figured out how to pay them. The stock suffered as a result.

I do not want to appear an SAIC-basher. My brother's experience was negative - he and his office met growth goals and then did not recieve the bodies to do the work. When my brother left the offerred him a part time position, which helped him during the transition which was good. My friends experience was positive - they dropped the division but gave him a sweet deal to remain on as an independant.

When working with SAIC people, I've always found them to be professional.

...so just don't buy thier stock in your compensation package...and I think you are GTG.

dvpj
20 June 2006, 21:42
I work pretty close with SAIC at APG. And, many moons ago in San Diego.

Both experiences were pleasent. A high degree of expertise is demanded, and they used to have a snooty air about themselves, but I see a change in the company now.

It is a huge company with many layers and divisions within divisions. There are projects going on in a division, that high level managers in that division do not know about. Not out of some poor abilities, but just from the tangled internal complexity.

Bills were paid on time and I never heard of a serious quality related complaint about them.

From my observations; The middle-leadership is very bottomline, while the top is keep the workerbee happy, and profitable. The pay is good to great, but you will work VERY hard to keep it. Extra effort is understood and expected. Making new business is a must after a time with the company, and learning more about the customer.

Workerbees were happy with the conditions, and rarely heard to complain about the company.

If not for my present job, I would work for them.

Bearcat06
21 June 2006, 03:29
My old Chief worked with them for a year in Iraq and loved them. He was training IPs on a DOJ contract. Said they paid him on time and they got good equiptment......and they never jerked him around.....

He would have went with them the second time around....but they had nothing he was interested in or qualified for....so he is working with Triple C in the GZ.

HoosGhost
21 June 2006, 10:52
They have interesting contracts in more interesting places. Do not limit yourself to just DHS.

I have a few friends who work for them in various places (OCONUS and CONUS) who are quite happy.

Jimbo
21 June 2006, 11:01
They low-balled me by $11,000 when I was looking for work.

L1E0D8ET
21 June 2006, 17:27
So....what are my hopes of negotiating a salary with this company? The position is pretty unique and I have nothing to compare it to with any other company. They came right out during the third interview and said "We would like to offer you a salary of $____. I told them thanks for the offer, they sent me a packet, and I have another phone call with them on Friday to tell them whether or not I am going to accept or not.

Jimbo
22 June 2006, 06:52
So....what are my hopes of negotiating a salary with this company? The position is pretty unique and I have nothing to compare it to with any other company. They came right out during the third interview and said "We would like to offer you a salary of $____. I told them thanks for the offer, they sent me a packet, and I have another phone call with them on Friday to tell them whether or not I am going to accept or not.

When I interviewed with them, they did not even have the contract they were going to bid me on. When I told them I had a higher offer from a company that could put me to work immediately, their response was, essentially, 'Good for you'. I have a number of friends that work there, but all of them are open to other opportunities.

BackInTheDay
22 June 2006, 08:38
This one gives me sort of a chuckle. There are so many threads on this board asking about "bobs security company" "dubai eagle global ops" ....whatever.

SAIC is over $7 billion in revenue and is a direct competitor to Lockheed Martin and CSC.

These are the big boys, ergo they are going to pay less, simple matter of overhead.

As for being private, after 35 years in business, that is changing. They filed for IPO last year which will happend this year. So if you can get options beforethe IPO........

If they public today they would be in the Fortune 300.

Got to make sure that you compares apples to apples when comparing federal contractors. You cancertainly make more with a smaller fed contractor but you pay for stability.

edited to add
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/sep2005/nf2005096_4717_db016.htm

Jimbo
22 June 2006, 08:50
Got to make sure that you compares apples to apples when comparing federal contractors. You cancertainly make more with a smaller fed contractor but you pay for stability.

I'm comparing SAIC to Booz Allen Hamilton, where I worked for some time (which happens to be located directly next to SAIC). I'm also comparing it to BAE, Lockheed Martin, CSC, General Dynamics and other companies I interviewed with.

As to your implication that working for SAIC provides some kind of stability, SAIC hires you to a contract. When that contract ends they may try to find another contract for you to work on. They may not. Other firms listed above do not operate that way.

BackInTheDay
22 June 2006, 09:57
Amazing how quickly people get testy around this joint.

Booz Allen is less than half the revenue size of SAIC so it would not suprise me that they are able to pay a little more and do a better job with its consultants.

And frankly the bigger the company, the harder to get fired...(yes I am making generalizations)

I was merely trying suggest, that any former military guy, taking his first foray into federal cotnracting work cannot go wrong with SAIC (or Booz or LM). It is certainly not the best, but your paycheck will be on time, your healthcare (if you are perm) will be top-notch and they wont go out of business tomorrow. And it certainly will not hurt your resume.

L1E0D8ET
22 June 2006, 23:20
Wow, what a response! Thanks guys, I have decided to take the position however I am still wary of the benefits package and will speak to HR during Indoc in a few weeks. The pay is good, great resume builder, and right up my alley.....I really can't turn it down. Thanks for all the advice and feel free to keep up the conversation on this thread regarding the topic.

Cheers!

rynich
29 June 2006, 19:17
I think they are a good company I work around many of thier employees and a good friend of mine worked for them. That being thier offices here in Indiana. I can't speak for the company outside of that. It is a company I would want to work for in my trade anyway.

flb3
14 July 2006, 08:14
I just got offered an INCONUS position with SAIC working on a DHS contract. I know they are a reputable company due to word of mouth and internet reputation, but looking to hear more. If you have worked for them, please give me some information on what to do. Thanks

This is what I heard, I do not have any 1st hand experience what so ever. If I were you I would take it since it is DHS, then become a govvie for DHS. I heard those guys get paid very very well. Keep in mind that is what I overheard employees saying during smoke breaks. Do not quote me on it.

If I am wrong and someone on this site has 1st hand experience regarding DHS, please correct me. I want to get on with them, but do not want to wait 12 months for a job I may not get.

flb3

Solid
14 July 2006, 10:50
I worked at SAIC INCONUS for a few months and know people working there now. If you go in and are offered stock, contrary to advice here I would take it... SAIC is supposed to go public in the near future (within the year), and that stock will only appreciate.

Other than that, the people I knew there enjoyed their work very much, although as Jimbo said, they were open to other offers. SAIC is a massive company, with many VERY impressive people working throughout. I always felt that their standards of organization were better than those at BAH, but were not as efficient or precise as investment banks etc.

HTH,

Solid

Libertine
26 July 2006, 12:40
I also received a disappointing offer from SAIC. They pay "well" if you're on the IC side of things, but, in my experience, not top dollar.