PDA

View Full Version : SEAL class dates

leopardprey
31 July 2006, 01:47
Just curious, when did the dates for BUD/S classes start? I heard that in the 60s there were both East and West coast BUD/S classess. Different numbers? Did some of the earlier BUDs classes not teach SCUBA diving, but you got that after finishing BUDS. Thanks.

Cass
31 July 2006, 12:53
Just curious, when did the dates for BUD/S classes start? I heard that in the 60s there were both East and West coast BUD/S classess. Different numbers? Did some of the earlier BUDs classes not teach SCUBA diving, but you got that after finishing BUDS. Thanks.

After WWII, Ft. Pierce, FL., as a Home Port and Training Center closed up. Training was moved to Little Creek, VA. At this time, circa 1946 and slightly beyond, classes were numbered by year and class sequence, i.e. The first Class in 1947 was numbered 4701, next class in 1947 was 4702 and so on. Along the way the Little Creek changed its class numbering system to a sequential system. What would have been Class 6701 became Class 39.

In 1950 the first Training Class was organized in Coronado, CA. There was some rush on because of the Korean gig and this Coronado Class did not receive a graduation, a diploma, or a Class number. Class #1, Coronado, graduated a few months after the initial Coronado Class, Class 0 (zero), had been in Korea for a time. During a period up to August 1971 there were two UDT training centers, one in Little Creek, one in Coronado, CA. In 1971 the training center in Little Creek was closed and all Frog and SEAL training was conducted in Coronado, CA. The present day numbering system began with Class 0 (zero), which was followed in 1951 with Class 1, then 2 and so on. This Coronado numbering system has been in effect up to the current Class numbering system.

Older Frogs may sign posts and emails like "Joe Smith, Class 23 E", or "... Class 23/W". This is to designate which coast the earlier Frog was trained at.

My best recall is that my Class was not introduced to the Aqua Lung until we stopped in Pearl on our way to Korea. We quick trained in a swimming pool at the Officers Club, and in the shipping lanes a few miles off Diamond Head. This would be 1950. In what phase or time zone Classes after mine received Lung training is unknown to me.

Cass/Class 0/W