PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder School

sguritz
28 June 2007, 17:11
I am just curious if any of you have been to Pathfinder school lately. I was hopeing to get some good study tips etc, from those who have been through the school as well as those who have used the training in Combat. I get my shot at Pathfinder school in August. I have picked up a lot of information and I am already starting to study my ass off. I just know that the more info you have the better chances of passing and not being washed out.

CombatWombat
28 June 2007, 17:55
Just graduated, second time through. Honor grad this time around, though, so I guess I don't have to wear an asterisk on my torch, just on the plaque.

Memorize the following from the handouts:

-Polyester Roundsling Chart
-Aerial Delivery Sling Chart
-Standard and Minimum Drop Speeds/Altitudes
-TDP sizes and what A/C uses which
-A/C formations, particularly where the #2 A/C is in each
-Number of lights and panels used to mark day and night HLZs, CARP, VIRS, and GMRS drop zones. Also memorize distances between lights or panels.
-Memorize all references and what they apply to. Example: USASOC 350-2 governs GMRS drops. FM 3-21.38 governs VIRS drops. This is in the handouts.
-Find a Pathfinder grad and have him teach you how to use the D=RT, T=D/R, and D=KAV formulas.

If you show up knowing all of the above, you'll have a good start, but will still have a long way to go. There is an enormous amount of data to memorize. The above list will give you a taste of what's expected at school. Download the handouts and get started now.

Slingload hands-on is a killer. If you have it, memorize the deficiency nomenclature sheet. You will need to find 0-5 deficiencies per load and annotate them with the proper nomenclature. This test historically wipes out a large percentage of students. Got me the first time around. Get hands on time if you can get it before you go, and don't stop practicing your sequence once you get time at school.

You will need to study a minimum of 3-4 hours per night you are at the course. If you go to Benning and are not on lockdown, do not go and screw around when you should be studying. Pathfinder tests are freaking hard and are not in any way similar to the bonehead tests most Army schools dish out. I was in a class with an average GT score of 108 and we still only managed to graduate 68% or so. Grad rates in the 30% range are not uncommon.

Good luck. Let me know if you need more guidance.

Sharky
28 June 2007, 18:52
I went through in 90 as an E-4 with a few weeks TIG, so I'm sure much has changed. Fun school. Good advice above. Most of the failures on slingloads were simply failure to focus. Looking but not seeing, much like JMPI at JM school. Or, failure to take it seriously and study accordingly.

CDRODA396
29 June 2007, 10:31
If you go to Benning and are not on lockdown, do not go and screw around when you should be studying.

Although generally good advice, if you go to Benning, you MUST visit the entertainment venues on Victory Drive at a minimum of twice in order to expose yourself to the local culture, it is a SOF requirement!:D

BackInTheDay
29 June 2007, 13:01
Every time someone brings up badgefinder school I have to tell the story of the officer from Mali in my class that went into the trees on a huey jump.

We heard the worst screaming you will ever hear. Sounded like death itself.

A stick as big around as your thumb had pierced his taint and penetrated almost 4".

(practice tree landing posture)

AngryBob
29 June 2007, 14:13
Although generally good adive, if you go to Benning, you MUST visit the entertainment venues on Victory Drive at a minimum of twice in order to expose yourself to the local culture, it is a SOF requirement!:D
I second that motion! While your there, see if my car is still there...76 Black Merc Couger, 2 dr....

AngryBob
29 June 2007, 14:19
Damm, those were the days

CDRODA396
29 June 2007, 14:36
Damm, those were the days

Its all about building the memory pool so when you're too old to do anymore, you can reminisce at the VFW!:D

18C4V
29 June 2007, 18:43
I too was honor grad at badgefinder. Just like CW said. Study and download the handouts from the Benning page. Oh yeah, you will definately need a rental car to get around.

CB
29 June 2007, 19:57
Let's see, my Pathfinder Class was in 1972, so most of my suggestions on the FIVE week course would probably out of date.

Except for the part about "Rotor Blades Can Kill."

That hasn't changed, so let's be careful out there.

SFS0AVN
30 June 2007, 15:31
Except for the part about "Rotor Blades Can Kill."

That hasn't changed, so let's be careful out there.

It also costs allot to replace those blades.

C-M-R
1 July 2007, 15:03
It also costs allot to replace those blades.

I know a story about rotor blandes. I'm wondering if it's the same story.

C-M-R
1 July 2007, 16:36
Looking but not seeing, much like JMPI at JM school. Or, failure to take it seriously and study accordingly.

Just talked to a buddy who has a Pathfinder badge and he said the same thing you did. Good advice, as usual.

He also sent a link https://www.infantry.army.mil/airborne/pathfinder/admin.htm

CB - I don't think we're in your "age group". ;)

sguritz
5 July 2007, 15:02
Thanks for all the great advice. Myself and another guy from my unit are the first ones in our Unit to go through Pathfinder school. We are a newly formed light Infantry Troop within a RSTA Squadron. Basically we are made up like LRS without the Parachutes. Each Infantry Scout Team has three pathfinders. So for us this is a very important school. Anyway enough dragging on Thanks again for all your help.

infmedic
5 July 2007, 16:00
I just went through the pathfinder class as well and the best advice I can give you, other than learn the handouts from benning and also the DZ handout, is be prepared to study. I think that you are heading out to OR, and if that is the case you will probably be locked down to the post and no POV use. The class is not strict like AASLT, but it is info heavy and you will have a test every other day. Also, the TA-50 requirements are very loose and there was no show-down inspection like AASLT so you can get away with bringing all of the buff gear. PM if you'd like anything further.

Oh yeah, pack a fifth of Beam, or whatever your poison might be.

Good luck

18C4V
5 July 2007, 18:15
Just out of curiousity which PFDR school are you going to? Benning, Campbell, or the NG WTC?

sguritz
6 July 2007, 10:13
Benning

SOTB
6 July 2007, 10:35
BenningAhh, Benning for Trashfinder. Except for that GAY intro land-nav exam, it was a piece of cake.

I did the course with a broken leg (I still wonder at how Army JMs can't manage to get an entire stick on these DZs the size of small countries), so it can't be that difficult....