PDA

View Full Version : First African-American SEAL?

kevinrt
30 July 2007, 15:30
Good day I've been lurking for a while now and I do have an important question (to me at least). I'm working on a paper in college about African-Americans in the Navy. I would like to know who was the first African-American SEAL or UDT member. I'm not trying to start a racial debate or anything, just looking for some good information. On a side note my command has a little memorial for Master Chief Sherman Byrd the first African-American to graduate EOD school. I thought was pretty cool. Thanks Guys.

Cass
30 July 2007, 17:02
Good day I've been lurking for a while now and I do have an important question (to me at least). I'm working on a paper in college about African-Americans in the Navy. I would like to know who was the first African-American SEAL or UDT member. I'm not trying to start a racial debate or anything, just looking for some good information. On a side note my command has a little memorial for Master Chief Sherman Byrd the first African-American to graduate EOD school. I thought was pretty cool. Thanks Guys.

Sometime ago I was asked to aid NSW in establishing when the first black Frogman was assisnged to the Teams. By search it was revealed that the first recorded Black Frogman was with UDT-18. UDT-18 was Commissioned at Ft. Pierce 18 Nov 1944. Later UDT-18 went to Maui H.I. to complete training. In the below photo one of the more famous Frogmen with UDT-18, taken at Maui, was Fred (Tiz) Morrisson; with whom I served in later years. The other Frogman in the photo was not identified. From my memory of some many years I feel Tiz is standing on the right.

FYI: There were 4 Black Frogmen in my Team, UDT-1, during the Korean War. Tiz being one of them. SEAL Teams did not come into being until their commission in 1962.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Saqq/UDT-18BlackFrogs1.jpg

Phil306
30 July 2007, 21:46
Cass, as a black man, thank you. That was very good info and historical information.

Tracy
30 July 2007, 21:56
Cass, as a black man, thank you. That was very good info and historical information.

B-b-b-but your avatar is green... :confused:

:p

Phil306
30 July 2007, 22:24
Yeah Tracy, I should be a tad bit more honest: I'm half black. So the green balances me out...We were called "dark green Marines" in boot camp.

kevinrt
30 July 2007, 23:20
Sometime ago I was asked to aid NSW in establishing when the first black Frogman was assisnged to the Teams. By search it was revealed that the first recorded Black Frogman was with UDT-18. UDT-18 was Commissioned at Ft. Pierce 18 Nov 1944. Later UDT-18 went to Maui H.I. to complete training. In the below photo one of the more famous Frogmen with UDT-18, taken at Maui, was Fred (Tiz) Morrisson; with whom I served in later years. The other Frogman in the photo was not identified. From my memory of some many years I feel Tiz is standing on the right.

FYI: There were 4 Black Frogmen in my Team, UDT-1, during the Korean War. Tiz being one of them. SEAL Teams did not come into being until their commission in 1962.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Saqq/UDT-18BlackFrogs1.jpg

That is just awesome material Mr. Cass, as an African-American it motivates me (In my quest to become a SEAL operator) to see something like that. If only material like that was easier to come by for young African-Americans, WE would probably look up to those WARRIORS who made sacrifices in those times for this country more than rappers and ball players. Thank you

Cass
30 July 2007, 23:39
Guys

The added remarks are well appreciated. There was no hint of recognition between enthenticity in our Team. Tiz often was my pickup man with the hoop, or the Coxswain on raids. I know his photo does not show it, but that really good Frogman chow made him bulkier and wider. As all SO'ers know, when you come out of a SpecOperators school of any nature you have the respect of your peers. And when you conive and sweat under close quarters ethenticity melts away.

Phil306: Half Black? I suppose like all the well built men it is your bottom half that holds the reputation?

FYI to all: The last time I saw my friend Tiz was at a 1999 Reunion. He had just come off a Heart Bypass. Tiz has since went to Frogman Heaven.

Typhoon
31 July 2007, 00:02
Cass, thank you very much for posting this important part of UDT and military history.

As all SO'ers know, when you come out of a SpecOperators school of any nature you have the respect of your peers. And when you conive and sweat under close quarters ethenticity melts away.
When my dad went to West Point during the early 1950's, virtually all of the Corps of Cadets was white. Every single member of the dining hall service staff at that time was black. It bothers my dad to this very day.

Social change occurs slowly. It is because of guys like your team mate Tiz that two generations later my guys were readily accepted by their unit and peers based purely upon their character and ability as soldiers; and without regard for the color of their skin.

Expatmedic
31 July 2007, 00:30
As a person who frequents this board almost daily, a big thanks for posting that information. As a civilian I would not know which questions to ask that would enable you to to tell us more history. So I must say please feel free to provide those tid bits of history as your time and will allow. Its a good history lesson for NON-BTDT's. As this history is from a very credible source and not the net, I trust it. Thank you for you service Cass.

Matchanu
31 July 2007, 09:10
That is just awesome material Mr. Cass, as an African-American it motivates me (In my quest to become a SEAL operator) to see something like that. If only material like that was easier to come by for young African-Americans, WE would probably look up to those WARRIORS who made sacrifices in those times for this country more than rappers and ball players. Thank you

Inspiration is great and all, but just remember to keep that in check if you go to BUD/S or, in the unlikely event, get to the teams.

At the team leval, there is no race.

kevinrt
31 July 2007, 09:25
Inspiration is great and all, but just remember to keep that in check if you go to BUD/S or, in the unlikely event, get to the teams.

Cool thanks for your help i'm not beeing sarcastic when you say in the unlikely event that I make it to the TEAMS that makes me work harder. I wouldn't go to BUD/s trying to be a civil rights activist. I would go because I want to be a part of the most precise and elite unit in military history.

Matchanu
31 July 2007, 09:44
Cool thanks for your help i'm not beeing sarcastic when you say in the unlikely event that I make it to the TEAMS that makes me work harder. I wouldn't go to BUD/s trying to be a civil rights activist. I would go because I want to be a part of the most precise and elite unit in military history.

Good luck to you then.

Phil306
31 July 2007, 11:10
Phil306: Half Black? I suppose like all the well built men it is your bottom half that holds the reputation?

At least that is the lie I tell the women...

Sherm_42
31 July 2007, 12:31
This has been a very good source of information especially on the history of different races becoming S.O.'s. The only add I can place to the Thread here is that we all wear the same colors, fight for the same colors, and as a former HM from my experiences... when opened up in the field we all definetly bleed the same colors! Colorblindness is a key element to staying alive!

HM Forever!! Hoo-Rah!!

kevinrt
31 July 2007, 12:36
On a side note this site/forum as a whole is very cool. Anywhere else a thread on this subject like this would be turned into complete garbage. Bravo Zulo to all the moderators and the BTDT's.

flapjack
31 July 2007, 19:05
Acording to my information a chap by the name of Jennings was
the 1st UDT. Little Creek 5/48 grad date. I sort of remember him but then I always was color Blind.

Cass
31 July 2007, 19:36
Acording to my information a chap by the name of Jennings was
the 1st UDT. Little Creek 5/48 grad date. I sort of remember him but then I always was color Blind.

Flapjack
You may be referring to James A. Jennings; Class 003/Little Creek/May 1, 1948? This is purely a guess on my part as this Jennings is the only Jennings reflected on my Database for the immediate post WWII period.

I assure you the photo I posted of the two Frogmen came from not only UDT-18, but also from Class 18 originated at Ft. Pierce. Class 18 was one of the Classes that went through training as Class 18 as a group and was turned into UDT-18 at the end of their WWII Maui training. This would be well prior to 1948. The photo I posted was searched out and discussed with NSW prior to us coming to the conclusion that both members were from WWII UDT-18.

I would not post undocumented or unwittnessed Team info on this site because there are too many Frog Faces that could pick apart my whole post or at least part because Frog history may be difficult to search out, but not impossible.

Guy
31 July 2007, 21:10
At the team level, there is no race.People wonder why I write "AMERICAN" in the race box.:D

BTW...Our buddy (MR) went back over for a tour w/o me....

Cass,

Thanks for the info!

Stay safe!

flapjack
1 August 2007, 16:15
My applogies CASS. You are correct.61 years kind of dims the old memory banks. Reason I said that about Jennings was an old teamate of mine and I were discussing at the reunion. :o

Cass
1 August 2007, 17:15
My applogies CASS. You are correct.61 years kind of dims the old memory banks. Reason I said that about Jennings was an old teamate of mine and I were discussing at the reunion. :o

FlapJack
Not to worry. This is a discussion board and all inputs are gladly appreciated. Our memories of those old days are somewhat dim, but we will always have the memories.

sonofaudt
11 September 2007, 02:44
My Father Edward M. Hazzard Was an African American member of UDT 3 during the Korean War, before his death he told me he had been in China for three years doing river patrols, transporting missionaries, etc... I found out that individuals who served in China were special forces. If anyone out there knew my father or served with him in Korea, China, or belonged to the Austrialian special forces, feel free to contact me via this board or at my email
norman_hazzard@yahoo.com
Thank you,

Norman H. Hazzard

dvpj
11 September 2007, 07:57
I Am Somebody: The True Story of a Black United States Navy Frogman
by Bernard Waddell

I came across this years ago, and I think it rests in my ex-wife's attic among boxes of some of my other memories.

I recall it being a good story...anyone know the man...and is he still with us?

SFS0AVN
11 September 2007, 12:04

I usually don't say anything on the SEAL threads because I'm Army but what Matchanu says is so true about most if not all SO units.
When Army SF started in the early 50s we had folks from all over the world and all colors in the 10th Group, they were lodge act soldiers. No one cared about color or ever mentioned it except in jest amongst the team. There was only THE TEAM and that was like your family. This feeling was not just amongst team members, it extended to their families and homes.
Sorry I butted in guys.

Cass
12 September 2007, 11:34
My Father Edward M. Hazzard Was an African American member of UDT 3 during the Korean War,
norman_hazzard@yahoo.com
Thank you,

Norman H. Hazzard

Edward M. Hazzard was in an "Early" Class, Coronado, having been transferred to UDT-3, Aug 30, 1949. No Class number was assigned to Coronado trainees in the late 1940's. These personnel were Team Trained, often referred to as "walk-ons". As they walked upon the Strand they were immediately taken into a Team and trained within the Team.

Posted by Sonofaudt
I Am Somebody: The True Story of a Black United States Navy Frogman
by Bernard Waddell

Bernard Waddell graduated UDTR training Class 16/Mar 1, 1956; Little Creek, VA.