PDA

View Full Version : TX National Guard Unveils Newly Formed SF Bn

Carl Spackler
14 January 2008, 12:13
I recall someone asking about a Tx SF unit...

Posted January 12th, 2008 in Military News
Source: Capt. James M. Campbell, Texas Military Forces Public Affairs
CAMP MABRY, Texas - Years of interstate coordination and diligent planning paid off as the Texas Army National Guard proudly unveiled its own Special Forces unit recently.

Maj. Gen. John T. Furlow, Assistant Adjutant General-Army and Texas Army National Guard commander, was pleased to stand up Charlie Company, 5th Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group, at a small ceremony in front of the Texas National Guard headquarters building here in Austin, Texas.

"This is a great move forward in rebalancing the structure of the Texas Army National Guard," said General Furlow. "We'll be able to provide a full spectrum of capabilities and demonstrate what the Texas Military Forces have to offer."

The need for a special operations unit arose because of the continuing transformation of the Texas Army National Guard. Additionally, there were several Green Berets residing in Texas who were drilling with Special Forces units in other states.

"This is a great opportunity for Texas," said the commander of Charlie Company, not identified by name for security reasons. "We've had several Soldiers from Texas that have gone to Mississippi, Colorado and Utah, and now they'll have the opportunity to drill right here in Texas to represent our state."

Like any newly formed unit, Charlie Company will continue to focus its efforts on recruiting qualified Special Forces Soldiers and non-qualified candidates to the unit. The unit has assessment tryouts every month for Soldiers and Airmen who are willing to take the first step in earning the coveted Green Beret.

"Current Guardsmen can interview with us," said the commander of Charlie Company. "We'll do an assessment at a drill and send them off to selection [Special Forces Assessment and Selection]. If they're not quite ready after the assessment, we'll invite the candidate to come back in a couple of months or whenever he's ready."

Interested civilians are also welcome to take the challenge. They can walk in off the street and sign up for the "18 X-ray" option that will give them a direct pipeline to the elite forces. After successful completion of all phases, the Soldier can proudly don the Green Beret and begin the Special Forces adventure.

Once Charlie Company is fully manned and operational, the unit will be expected to conduct worldwide missions in support of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command and the governor of Texas. Special operations warriors in Charlie Company said they are ready.

"Everybody here is very excited about this unit," said a newly qualified Special Forces Soldier. "A Special Forces company in Texas has been talked about for years, and now that it's actually a reality, everyone's excited about the opportunity."

Highspeed160th
14 January 2008, 16:06
"Texas Army National Guard proudly unveiled its own Special Forces unit recently."

Uh oh, they gonna form there own Republic again? You know becuase they are from Texas, one will be better then a whole platoon of SEAL's. ;)

Floyd
15 January 2008, 10:05
While it may be a first for the Texas NG to have an SF unit there used to be part of the Army reserve's 12th SFG in Texas

JMD69
15 January 2008, 10:34
While it may be a first for the Texas NG to have an SF unit there used to be part of the Army reserve's 12th SFG in Texas

Although I have never had the pleasure of working with my brethren in the former reserve units nor the NG, I do remember the 12th SFG ODA in Amarillo, TX which is my home town. Wasn't there another ODA or larger SF unit elsewhere in TX...El Paso maybe?

I am glad that SF has brought back a unit to the Republic!

Speaking of my hometown and SF, I look forward to the SFA chapter that Joe H. is working on for Amarillo!

hannon4you
15 January 2008, 11:38
Jeff,

Re: SF Chapter . . . meeting still as planned 25 Jan 2008.

Re: 12th Group . . . Amarillo had a team room at the reserve center on Duniven Circle. We flew out of the civilian side of Amarillo International Airport. Lubbock had a team and Albequerque had two and the B Tm was in El Paso. I retired (finally) and 8 days later the Group died in favor of the NG's. Most of those that didn't quit in disgust went to other units in Texas or took dischage then reuped in the NG's or just went away somewhere . . . lot's of "us" were like that in those days.

Joe

t10Guy
17 January 2008, 16:15
"Texas Army National Guard proudly unveiled its own Special Forces unit recently."

Uh oh, they gonna form there own Republic again? You know becuase they are from Texas, one will be better then a whole platoon of SEAL's. ;)

LOL. dont put it past the Texans to do just that.

BlackDragonUSMC
17 January 2008, 17:22
hey hey now, dont be going and ribbing on us Texas boy's, i'm a Marine by trade but a Texan first and foremost, and if the Special Forces now have another home in Texas, well then by all means welcome to the Lone Star State....or republic? LOL, j/k, I think we'll hold off on that one...

CAP MARINE
17 January 2008, 20:36
i have to find me a T-Patch for my patch jacket.my dad was in the 36th in WWII.

Ryan S.
22 September 2008, 18:03
Does anyone have contact info for Mabry? Their NG site seems to be down.

Thanks,
Ryan S.

BlackDragonUSMC
22 September 2008, 18:10
lol, hey if Texas decides to go about becoming a republic again, then more power to it! my first allegiance is to God, and then to my home, to Texas.....and if you ever read some of the history of Texan units, you'll understand why we'd put up one hell of a fight :P

~JohnnyBoy

LRS Guy
22 September 2008, 18:30
I know the Company Cmdr fairly well and several of NCOs. They are going to do great things!

Ryan S.
22 September 2008, 18:36
Does anyone have contact info for Mabry? Their NG site seems to be down.

Thanks,
Ryan S.
Edit: Got it.

scoutsout2001
6 November 2008, 07:25
If anyone can provide me with any poc for this as well, it would be greatly appreciated...I am in need of just a couple questions answered...

Okie75
30 December 2008, 16:01
Where can someone find out how to sign up?

RIT_MEDIC
30 December 2008, 22:46
Where can someone find out how to sign up?

(210) 698-2938 ext 38.

Call the unit and ask for one of the recruiters.

lavbo0321
13 February 2009, 23:36
Wasn't there an SF Researve unit in Los Alomitos in Ca?

18C4V
14 February 2009, 00:29
Wasn't there an SF Researve unit in Los Alomitos in Ca?

Yes,
but it changed to National Guard in 1994 when 12th Group Cased its colours.

LRS Guy
14 February 2009, 05:39
For what is worth 143rd LRSD is expanding into a Company.

Also TxANG is getting its own Airborne Infantry Bn. I understand it will be a Bn(-) with 1 line Co being out of state.

NWPTrainer
14 February 2009, 23:46

Also TxANG is getting its own Airborne Infantry Bn. I understand it will be a Bn(-) with 1 line Co being out of state.

What happened to the LRSC out of Houston?

LRS Guy
15 February 2009, 11:55
The actual G Co 143rd LRSC disbanded around 2002 as I recall. I may be off. I want to say H Co. 121st LRSC took over the III Corp mission. That left the 143rd LRS which was a divisonal unit in Austin.

My facts may be off, so there may be better informed people on it.

WS-G
2 March 2009, 18:12
The actual G Co 143rd LRSC disbanded around 2002 as I recall. 02 SEP 2001.

I want to say H Co. 121st LRSC took over the III Corp mission. That left the 143rd LRS which was a divisonal unit in Austin.
The LRSD was part of 49 AD, w/ no connection to G Co.

TX SAPPER
16 March 2009, 14:59

Hello,

Any more info on the Airborne Unit? Location? Time?