PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on NSPS

AngryBob
23 January 2008, 14:44
I am a recent inductee into NSPS. I converted from a "GS" to "Y" a couple months ago. I am hoping to get some insight and thoughts from the SOCNETers on the pluses and negatives of the new pay system. I entered federal service (GS system) after 22 years of AD about 2 years ago, and now find myself being absorbed by NSPS. Here I compete for pay (performance based) and compete for what was annual pay raises, WIGIs, and performance incentives. I have no problem with "Pay for Performance" but see some flaws already. As with most GOV initiatives, I believe this is designed to save money. Please grace me with your knowledge, advice, and experience. Did a search and found little here. There is lots of info on other websites, but wanted to hear the opinions of those that I respect the most.
Beers stocked and ready, cleaned the mouse, and ready to read......

SheJAG
23 January 2008, 22:58
It is too early to tell how it will work in the long run.

All the personnel I know who had to convert to the new system feel there are no "+" aspects.

Sharky
23 January 2008, 23:14
I spent five years under NSPS and can agree that there are no pluses to it. CCo275 and Sltwtr1 both worked with me and I feel certain that they will agree that I outperformed the vast majority of my peers in a lot of respects. But, because I had a personality conflict with my first line supervisor I never once in five years received a within-band pay increase. I wasn't the only one affected either. One year the agency announced that they had money to give 25% of the agency a within-band increase. My team leader submitted one name from his team of over 25 people. Worked out great for the other teams though. :rolleyes:

AngryBob
25 January 2008, 17:56
Thanks for the uplifting posts. I have yet to find anyone supportive. Hope it dies on the vines.
AB

Sharky
25 January 2008, 20:15
Thanks for the uplifting posts. I have yet to find anyone supportive. Hope it dies on the vines.
AB

Not gonna happen. It's gonna take a lot of people banding together and making a stink to kill NSPS.

Frog
25 January 2008, 22:53
Invest in good knee pads to compete within the pay pool.

SheJAG
25 January 2008, 23:11
Even better would be to become a member of the panel that decides on increases, bonuses, etc...

Pit Snipe
6 February 2008, 14:21
We are going to it in March whether we are ready or not. I've got an excellent squad and team leader but that doesn't mean that paybanding is a good idea.

Bearcat06
6 February 2008, 20:04
Invest in good knee pads to compete within the pay pool.

After starting my new job on Monday.....and listening to to briefs on it....I would agree with your advice.....