PDA

View Full Version : ASIS PSP certification

jlm99
4 February 2008, 04:39
Was wondering if anyone here has the American Society for Industrial Security Physical Security Proffessional certification?
I am currently studying for it.

Johnnie

brcannon
26 June 2010, 06:49
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I am looking into this as well. Does any one have any current info? Also,well MAINLY, would this certification help me to get a job in this field? Thanks

The Fat Guy
26 June 2010, 07:05
Here is a link asking the same question about the CPP
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you have no idea what you are doing, this can be a good place to start. I have been doing Homeland Security conslting since 2002 have never met an ASIS certification holder that has impressed me or made me stpe back and say.... Wow, that guy knows his shit.

If you are starting in the business, it can help. Good luck and take the practice tests.

brcannon
26 June 2010, 07:10
Thanks for the reply, I can't access that page though, not sure why. I have been doing security for a while, but I would like to get into site assessments and such, but every where I look you have to have prior knowledge of the subject to be considered. This course and a FLETC course are the only ones I have found so far.

stanpunjabTrini
26 June 2010, 13:03
Thanks for the reply, I can't access that page though, not sure why. I have been doing security for a while, but I would like to get into site assessments and such, but every where I look you have to have prior knowledge of the subject to be considered. This course and a FLETC course are the only ones I have found so far.

Still a good choice if that is your goal. FLETC (PSTP) and ASIS PSP with some military background is a good fit. SIte assessments is not so good in a corporate environment so you might want to check out ASIS site for positions that may be more needful of your present situation.

brcannon
27 June 2010, 21:06
Well, looks like FLETC is out, only Federal employees are allowed to go there. I just hope the ASIS course is worth the money. Thanks for the posts.

Silverbullet
28 June 2010, 07:51
The short answer is that it won't hurt you, but it won't get you a job.

mdwest
28 June 2010, 16:44
+1 to SB's comments..

Ive got an ASIS CPP certification, and am a current member of the ASIS Council on Business Practices..

looks nice on a resume..

and affords me some pretty cool networking opportunities..

but 99% of the senior management security positions that get listed either have no requirement for it, or simply say "PSP Preferred" or "CPP Preferred", etc.. I have yet to see a serious employer say "required"..

people are much more interested in your actual experience in the security industry as opposed to your certifications (at least that has been my experience)..

wont hurt you.. and might even help you a little with networking, finding some jobs that you wouldnt have known about otherwise, etc..

but wont make you that much stronger of a candidate over someone else that doesnt have it i am afraid..