PDA

View Full Version : MK13 Mod5

zmp
27 February 2008, 10:50
We just got our hands on the MK13 Mod 5. We have not had a chance to break it in. Looking for some hands on info (non-sensitive). One bad detail briefed is a 2000 round barrel life (sounds pretty short). Any other things we should know about? PM if need be.

PSYWAR 1-0
27 February 2008, 12:06
How close are you to NSWSC Crane? Im sure that LGT would square you away. You should be able to look him up on the SIPR

As to barrel life, the suppressor only has a min service life of 5000 with Obj at 10,000 rounds. So the ratio seems about right.

longrange1947
27 February 2008, 20:16
Warning - Ours started throwing fliers at 500 rounds. :mad:

I think it is a pig in a poke.

Edited to add we only shot A191 through the weapon and took care of it.

Tuukka
7 March 2008, 15:02
Warning - Ours started throwing fliers at 500 rounds. :mad:

I think it is a pig in a poke.

Edited to add we only shot A191 through the weapon and took care of it.

How about this one :D

Too bad we did not have the chance to link up at Fayetteville.

Matchanu
7 March 2008, 15:15
We just got our hands on the MK13 Mod 5. We have not had a chance to break it in. Looking for some hands on info (non-sensitive). One bad detail briefed is a 2000 round barrel life (sounds pretty short). Any other things we should know about? PM if need be.

1200 rounds with a .300 win mag, but I had no issues with mine after 2000+.

I don't know anything about the Mk13.

longrange1947
8 March 2008, 20:05
Tuukka - Sorry for the miss, Got tied up at the school house and could not get away. Thought I was going to make it up later.

Myself, I would have preferred the .338 Lapua, but Crane is getting involved and they want to build the weapons themselves. Gives them more power and bigger rice bowl. They convinced higher to issue the Mk13 so that they have a base to change them over to the .338 later. What would have been a simple purchase this year has turned into a 5 to 6 year debacle.
One of my fondest hopes is that USASOC cuts Crane loose.

300 Win Mags have a problem with barrels and it depends on a multitude of factors. I have seen barrels go about 3000 rounds and I have seen them burn out completely in 350 to 400 rounds. Another problem is that I am not a fan of any round that headspaces off of an easily damaged belt. That too causes fliers.

Match - Glad you had a good one, there are too many bad ones out there. :mad:
The Mk13 is a Crane built 300 Win Mag based on the Remington receiver and AI stock, it is coming with the NightForce scope but I hope it is a new NightForce as the old ones were in .25 moa clicks and had the reticle in the second focal plane. We were hoping that they would get the new S&B scope for it.

Oh well again my 2 cents.

Ace
8 March 2008, 21:55
One of my fondest hopes is that USASOC cuts Crane loose.

Rick,

This is about the 4th time I've heard that statement is as many weeks, why is that? Is it due to one major issue, or a ton of small ones. I'm not that familiar with them.

longrange1947
9 March 2008, 23:11
Rick,

This is about the 4th time I've heard that statement is as many weeks, why is that? Is it due to one major issue, or a ton of small ones. I'm not that familiar with them.

Big issues and little issues. They seem to want to guide all decisions on weapons into their little rice bowl. They are very good at what they were originally mandated to do. That was not to build weapons. It was to repair and test weapons, weapons components and optics only.

They now have designs on building the weapons for all of Spec Ops. Not part of their charter.

armorer1
10 March 2008, 02:11
Crane is all about thier own job security. Take machine guns for example. Imagine an M240 or MK 43 top cover that's broken. Instead of getting the parts you need to rebuild it, or replace, Crane would rather have you send the whole thing back and they'll charge you for a complete new one. Job security. I saw one guy from Crane who was looking at some sniper rifles for ST-3 and was bragging how good he was with a Sig P226. He had a snipers pelican case w/ SASR .50 Cal in it, and noticed a P226 w/ mag inserted. He tried to "clear" the P226 by pulling the slide back (he did press check and noticed round in the chamber) and catching the round....well he didn't remove the magazine first and he had finger on the trigger and BOOM...ND right there!! Nothing happened to him. Had that been an armorer, or Team guy he would've been fried. Crane has it's purpose in some rights, but they need to stop trying to be a monopoly for weapons repair. Just my opinion...that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.

Tuukka
10 March 2008, 12:57
Rick, no worries, perhaps next time !

B 2/75
10 March 2008, 13:27
Tukka,
Have you some "user friendly" pricing on the Sako? (drooling on myself a bit over here.....)

longrange1947
10 March 2008, 13:37
B 2/75 - You should have seen them prying my fingers off of one that we had to send back after an eval. :D