View Full Version : 75th Ranger Regiment Inducts Newest Distinguished Members

Ranger1
25 September 2008, 02:51
RELEASE NUMBER: 080923-01
DATE POSTED: SEPTEMBER 23, 2008

Ranger Regiment inducts newest distinguished members

By Tracy Bailey
75th Ranger Regiment Public Affairs

FORT BENNING, GA (USASOC News Service, Sept. 23, 2008)—A small congregation of 220 people who made special contributions to the nation’s premier raid force grew when 13 Ranger veterans and other supporters were inducted as distinguished and honorary members of the 75th Ranger Regiment here, Sept. 12.

“Since 1989, 30,000 Rangers have come through our ranks,” said Col. Richard D. Clarke, 15th commander of the 75th Ranger Regiment as he addressed a room filled with Rangers, veterans, friends and families. “There are only 220 fellow Rangers and supporters who are distinguished or honorary members of the Regiment.”

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Archive/2008/September/080923-01.html

Sharky
25 September 2008, 08:40
I see Jody Nacy's name on there. Met him a few years back. Good dude.

burt160
25 September 2008, 11:22
good post - thnks!

GreenMeany 5
25 September 2008, 11:25
I see CSM Nicholas Bielich is on the list.....Good for him!

GreenMeany 5
25 September 2008, 22:14

I was wondering how long it would be before you chimed in on my post!:D

rgrdrew
26 September 2008, 11:21
Good to see CSM Timmy Dotson there as well!

Hot Mess
26 September 2008, 12:01
Good to see CSM Timmy Dotson there as well!

For some reason that seems like it should ring a bell...

Like maybe a 1SG Cco/HHC in 1/75 in my time:confused: Kept an ax handle in his office to exaggerate his point:confused: Glassiam, do you remember?

rgrdrew
26 September 2008, 16:51

Like maybe a 1SG Cco/HHC in 1/75 in my time:confused: Kept an ax handle in his office to exaggerate his point:confused: Glassiam, do you remember?

He was 2nd Plt PSG, C Co when I was there in 1st Plt with now CSM Durkan as my PSG. I thought I remembered hearing he was a 1SG at some point later. He had been a Marine prior to coming into the Army. I remember one trip to Parris Island to use the KD Ranges when he started calling cadence Marine Corps style as we marched past a bunch of confused basic trainees...funny as hell!

glassiam
26 September 2008, 18:13

RS,

Yeah he was definately in Rgt in our time frame. Can't place him either, but heard that name a few times. There were a few on that list that were in Rgt during our time bro.

NWPTrainer
26 September 2008, 19:54
Dotson got 2 plt, C Co when Malloy went to Coronado as a liason. I was there then. He's a good guy as I remember.

Joda
2 October 2008, 09:51
I am assuming this is the same guy... Tim Dotson was 1SG of C Co 1/75, he took over from Rick Merritt and turned it over to Mike Ferrusi. Merritt is now CSM of 3/75; heard that Ferrusi is a CSM as well but I am not sure where. Dotson took C Co to Afghanistan and Iraq as 1SG.

Hot Mess
2 October 2008, 10:15
That's what I thought. He was a little "extreme" (nuts) as the 1SG of HHC (He took over HHC after Cco).
CSM Merritt (moondoggie:D) was one hell of a leader:cool: Although I was in Aco, I was impressed with him.

Hot Mess
2 October 2008, 10:19
Dotson took C Co to Afghanistan and Iraq as 1SG.

Was that the first OIF deployment when Cpt. Rich and the BC (ouch, my LEG hurts!) got into it? That was rather humorous:eek:

Ranger1
2 October 2008, 11:09
That's what I thought. He was a little "extreme" (nuts) as the 1SG of HHC (He took over HHC after Cco).
CSM Merritt (moondoggie:D) was one hell of a leader:cool: Although I was in Aco, I was impressed with him.

Merritt was a newly pinned E-5 when I signed into B Co. He was actually the first NCO I met in Battalion after RIP and took us into the briefing room downstairs to wait for our PSG's to come in and pick who they wanted.

It impresses the fuck out of me to think that after all these years that short little hard dude is still under a ruck.

MikeC2W
2 October 2008, 11:28
Dotson - very good on him.

Malloy - that dude was funnier and crazy'r n' shit! I remember him as an E-5 and then as an E-6. For some reason I always felt bad for that squad!!!!

I remember walking down the hall (2nd Plt) the first time after having graduated hooah school, here comes Malloy walking towards me, we're the only two in the hallway (now I had been in 2nd Plt for almost 2 years at this point) he walks menacingly up to me and says, "Who the fuck are you and why are you in my hallway?!".

LMAO - I was like, "Sarn't I'm in Weapons Squad - just got back from Ranger School"

M - "Did you get honor grad?"

me - "No, but I was 5 & 0"

M - "You didn't try hard enough."

Walks away.

Very cool on Dotson.

Joda
2 October 2008, 13:12
Was that the first OIF deployment when Cpt. Rich and the BC (ouch, my LEG hurts!) got into it? That was rather humorous:eek:

Yup, that is the one. CPT Rich had just taken over from MAJ Pags.

flhshvlhed
2 October 2008, 14:11
If I remember correctly, this the same Dotson that was honor grad for class 6-88, that I was in.

Is he not very tall (my height :rolleyes:)? If so - then it should be the same one, and he was a good guy!!

Congrats

rgrdrew
9 October 2008, 17:41
If I remember correctly, this the same Dotson that was honor grad for class 6-88, that I was in.

Is he not very tall (my height :rolleyes:)? If so - then it should be the same one, and he was a good guy!!

Congrats

Damn, I graduated that class as well. Picked up with you guys in Dugway after a recycle...Copenhagen during a winter class, go figure. :rolleyes::D I never realized he was in the same RS class as me when we worked together at 1/75. I'll have to go back and look at my class photo again!

RgrMaldo3/75
9 October 2008, 21:57
Merritt was a newly pinned E-5 when I signed into B Co. He was actually the first NCO I met in Battalion after RIP and took us into the briefing room downstairs to wait for our PSG's to come in and pick who they wanted.

It impresses the fuck out of me to think that after all these years that short little hard dude is still under a ruck.

Always thought he was the baddest motha brotha in the Regiment. I could do the best CSM Merritt impersonation. This one time I called my CQ runner pretending to be CSM Merritt, had that cherry doing pushups while he talked to me and bear crawling while he looked for the CQ NCO. :p.

flhshvlhed
9 October 2008, 22:23
Damn, I graduated that class as well. Picked up with you guys in Dugway after a recycle

Ahh Dugway - if ever there was an enema to be put into the US, I would vote for there!! :rolleyes: Remember the camp Cdr - had us walking all over that place?

Small world - I didn't know you were in that class. Didn't we eat/talk at the Base Camp chow hall in KBL, in 06? I was w/ CPEF/AEF at the time.

rgrdrew
10 October 2008, 00:43
Ahh Dugway - if ever there was an enema to be put into the US, I would vote for there!! :rolleyes: Remember the camp Cdr - had us walking all over that place?

Small world - I didn't know you were in that class. Didn't we eat/talk at the Base Camp chow hall in KBL, in 06? I was w/ CPEF/AEF at the time.

Oh damn!

Yes, I remember you now...we did meet there! I was with Air Wing doing the PSD/Driver supervisor thing. How was it that we made the connection then? I remember meeting you, then seeing you a few times after in and around the camp.

As for Dugway, hell yes...and I got to walk all over it twice!:eek::D There was a fat ass LT that supposedly got DX'd from 3rd who had a hard on for me my first time through (3rd Batt, go figure! :D). He always wrote my major minuses with a big dip of Cope in his lip, from the can he'd confiscate from me. Double standard POS!!

RgrDrew

flhshvlhed
10 October 2008, 01:12
We had talked on SOCNET about the embassy job, then happened to meet in the chow hall.

I don't remember the LT, but there was an RI CPT (I remember his name - but not important) that was a real POS. I remember he had a Rolex that I could see from across the desert floor. Watched him take over a patrol because the PL got jacked up, then got us lost even more. :(

I had had enough of his crap and since no one had NOD's - I figured a night movement was as good a time as any for him to meet my e-tool , but my Ranger buddy talked me out of! :rolleyes: lol - just as well, I doubt that would have have been a wise career move anyway.

BTW - you didn't put your copenahagen in your foot powder bottle or kiwi can? ;)

Sorry for the hijack.

rang3rd
29 October 2010, 09:44
Wow, CSM Nicholas Bielich... Never thought I'd see the day. I remember that guy made our platoon garden, sweep the roof of the house we were in, and other work just short of slave labor every day (in Iraq). He also tried to get our Christmas break taken away because "santa spelled backwards is satan anyway, well, you know what I mean." ..........; calling him Nick the (fill in rhyming word here) Bielich. Nick is a black eye for the regiment. Complete soup sandwich.

This guy should be in a prison.

As for Merritt, he was awesome when I was in batt. Tough as nails.

Mini-Poly
29 October 2010, 16:46
He was 2nd Plt PSG, C Co when I was there in 1st Plt with now CSM Durkan as my PSG. ....

Both great Leaders and Great Men. I got the privilege to serve with you guys in Charlie Rock. Congrats to CSM Dotson and Chap. (Lt. Col.) Solhjem. RLTW.

Hot Mess
29 October 2010, 17:54
your post

Hey brother, I know 3rd batters aren't what us from Savannah would call the "literate" type:biggrin: But everyone would appreciate it if you posted an intro in the appropriate section;) Stay safe.

Hot Mess
29 October 2010, 17:56
Dotson was my 1SG at 1/75...not what I'd call a very "stable" personality, in fact we was off, and not in the good way.

Brian1/75
29 October 2010, 23:28
Wow, CSM Nicholas Bielich... Never thought I'd see the day. I remember that guy made our platoon garden, sweep the roof of the house we were in, and other work just short of slave labor every day (in Iraq). He also tried to get our Christmas break taken away because "santa spelled backwards is satan anyway, well, you know what I mean." ..........; calling him Nick the (fill in rhyming word here) Bielich. Nick is a black eye for the regiment. Complete soup sandwich.

This guy should be in a prison.

There's a lot of guys at 1st Batt that will be glad when CoR rolls around. He did let us wear flip-flops in the chow hall though. That was pretty cool.

rang3rd
30 October 2010, 13:55
He may have chilled in recent years, but I still think its bad business keeping someone like him around when the "other unit" views him as incompetent and essentially bipolar.

RangerJurena
30 October 2010, 18:00
I'm just wondering how a 2 year old thread got resurrected..

We all have some skeletons in our closet and unless things have changed its pretty hard to please everyone. I was peers with Nick and at the time perhaps not the biggest fan, but I'll give him credit for continuing to serve and someone must have thought he was good business regardless of what the other unit thought otherwise he would not be where he is.

rang3rd
30 October 2010, 19:52
Although I agree his dedication is commendable, his morals and abilities are not. You know, just as well as I do; it's often not a matter of how well you perform in batt or regiment as a leader or manager, but how well you play the politics. Let's not pretend that every leader throughout the regiment walks on water - especially not this guy. I saw more turnover because of him at 3rd batt than I care to discuss. He had a knack for weeding out the good guys and driving them off.

Ranger1
31 October 2010, 00:26
While we have had questionable leaders in every era, just like any other unit, take this to PM guys. No need to air any more of the Regiment's laundry in the open.

Closed.