PDA

View Full Version : Author looking to speak with Aussie SAS members

samstephens
1 February 2009, 21:59
Hi all,

I'm an author based near Sydney, Australia.

I had an almost finished manuscript for my first novel in which the main character is ex-SAS, and is currently working for a private security firm based in Sydney.

Basically I want to add some realism to the story, most specifically in a couple of chapters near the start where the main character is raiding a yacht.

How would I go about getting in contact with someone that could help me? It's obviously not as easy as popping down to the local SAS office.

Does anyone have any pointers of where I could start?

Thanks for your time!
Sam

nofear
1 February 2009, 22:10
PM me your contact details and I'll ask some of the guys if they want to contact you.

No promises apart from that.

samstephens
1 February 2009, 22:20
Fantastic, thanks Nofear, I really appreciate you taking the time!

I'll PM my details over.

In the event that no one has the time or inclination to speak with me, is it okay to ask specific questions in this forum? I don't want to misuse the forum, and certainly don't want to ask questions about things that shouldn't be discussed in public.

cheers
Sam

nofear
1 February 2009, 23:17
Sam - Having looked at the info you're after, there is some info that you will not be supplied. For the rest, contact the Dept of Defence media / public affairs section.

Good luck with it.

Ace
1 February 2009, 23:25
.........How would I go about getting in contact with someone that could help me? ..........Does anyone have any pointers of where I could start?

You've already done that by coming to SOCNET.

If there are former/current SAS guys that are willing to talk to you, they will contact you via PM.

I would be hesitant to ask the question publicly for several reasons, all obvious.

Good Luck.

samstephens
1 February 2009, 23:36
Thanks Nofear, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!

I understand some of what I'm asking would probably be classified - I'm not looking for minute details, more looking to filter out Hollywood myths.

Again, thanks for the pointer!

Sam

samstephens
1 February 2009, 23:41
You've already done that by coming to SOCNET.
I accidently stumbled onto this forum - it's a brilliant site you've all got here!

I would be hesitant to ask the question publicly for several reasons, all obvious

Most definately!

I have an IT background, and I know how badly many writers mess up when describing IT or technology related scenes: I'm sure you all often see a similar thing with military books and movies.

Thank you everyone, and if any former or current SAS guys are interested in having a quick chat, or even giving a couple of chapters in my book a quick eyeball and then point out any silly mistakes I may have made, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again,
Sam

Frog
1 February 2009, 23:43
Please make a donation to SOCNET. Glad we could help you make money.