PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started? Armorer

burma96
26 June 2009, 17:14
Hello All,

Please could anybody let me know what qualifications are acceptable these days to work in the industry as an Armorer/maintainer or Instructor? Especially like to know what extra quals would make a person more employable and what licensing would be required as i'm not a US citizen. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Small Arms ...... itchy backs!

Silverbullet
26 June 2009, 19:25
What industry?

burma96
26 June 2009, 19:56
SB,

Apologies, was a bit too vague there. I have very little knowledge of PMC Armorer's and how they get qualified. Anything related to this would be useful. Not too sure what types of Armorer positions there are out there either so just researching as much as i can and seeing what would be best suited to me and the skills i have already.

Thanks

Silverbullet
26 June 2009, 21:10
Contact armorer1.

He should be able to help you.

yojinbukai
27 June 2009, 03:46
There are a few armorer positions out there, especially for WPPS and the companies that have those contracts. Iraqgunz is one, for certain. I was the HDSOC armorer for some time. If you're a .mil qualified armorer then you're certainly better off than most. You'll still need to attend the factory sponsored armorer courses for various weapons though. There are field courses given by most factories, at numerous locations and dates around the country.

Expect to renew your certs every 2 - 3 years, depending on the company. Courses range from $150 for a 1 day to $750 - 1000 for multiple days. Many are available to anyone with a dealer's license or LE letterhead. Some are restricted courses.

armorer1
27 June 2009, 18:40
I was fortunate enough to get my armorer training thru the military. I was an NSW (Naval Special Warfare) armorer&was sent to some "civilian" schools as well. It helps to stay up to date w/ the newest weapons out there. My primary background is military weapons obviously. As Yojinbukai stated, attending factory courses for weapons is also a plus. I have a bunch of manuals, books, CD's, DVD's, ect I've accumulated over the years and it helps to keep all that stuff handy to refer to. Everyone gets rusty&being an armorer can be a perishable skill, if not kept up...much like shooting. There are a few armorers here on this board that can speak about their training as well. Best of luck to you, unless we're competing for the same job! LOL.... :-)

burma96
28 June 2009, 07:27
Thanks guys,

Not looking too hard for a job as i'm still in in the military and enjoying it. But when the day comes to leave i want to be best prepared and have a fighting chance of continuing a job i enjoy. Seen alot of guys this side of the water leave the firm and rejoin within a year because jobs are either few and far between or they just do not prepare enough for the real world. I suppose finding the right company helps also.

Do you have to have any particular Security Industry affiliation to work as an Armorer? and loads of other questions i have.... Feel like a student again. you guys dont charge do you? lol.

yojinbukai
28 June 2009, 08:13
The factory certifications are most often required by contracting companies. They merely decrease joint and several liability for all parties involved. Having the training is just part of it. Having the experience is the bigger half. I'm not aware of a union or association but it is a fairly small circle. If you get the training in the military, that will carry you a long, long way.

Remember, sometimes it isn't the number of certs that counts for a job. If you work for the MET and they only carry _____ pistol but you are a certified armorer for that pistol, then you could feasibly be busy every day of the year working on just getting annual inspections completed.

Massgrunt
28 June 2009, 11:47
Do you have to have any particular Security Industry affiliation to work as an Armorer? and loads of other questions i have.... Feel like a student again. you guys dont charge do you? lol.I'm not an armorer but we don't have the SIA like you guys do. I'm sure these guys can tell you about industry trade groups ands all that.

iraqgunz
28 June 2009, 12:45
One recommendation is to gain and retain as much reference material as you can. In addition make sure that you document any and all weapons and related experience that you have. If you worked with ammo or have received some ammo training get papers, same with any logisticis experience. In some cases you will be wearing a few different hats, not just turning gun wrenches. As far as the factory courses they are required by the client in some cases, but it all depends on the type of contract you are working.

When doing your resume it will benefit you substantially if you point out that you didn't just hand weapons out and take them in, but actually worked on them. You'd be surprised at how many people don't know the difference. A few of those types were hired to work over here and they really didn't do so well.

burma96
28 June 2009, 15:52
ok, so what kind of contracts are out there? i've heard the phrase no security in security so i guess the terms are short. Do resume's get passed around also and has that ever caused a problem with personal security?