PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Training Books.

nofear
21 August 2009, 09:01
I'm after some book / DVD titles that give good tactical training tips.

I already own:

Training at the Speed of Life - Kenneth Murray
Strategies of Low Light Engagement - Ken Good

I also already have Grossman's On Combat and On Killing.

Are there are other high-quality publications out there?

Someone recommended Todd Jarrett's "Pro Shooting Tips" DVDs to me, but they...dunno....just look....can't explain it....weak? :confused:

Thanks...

nofear
22 August 2009, 02:47
Tap, tap....is this thing on?

Additionally, I'm also looking for a book on Combat Life Saving training or similar.

I'm spending a lot of time on Amazon, but it takes a while to wade through the irrelevant.

NF..

armorer1
22 August 2009, 04:32
I've got Jarrett's shooting DVD's (basic&advanced). Honestly you can find alot of the same thing on Youtube&typing his name. The DVD's are ok. He's very good at explaining things. He also has a tricked out race gun&not standard duty issue weapon. I've heard Magpul Dynamics The Art of the Tactical Carbine DVD's (Volume 1&2) as well as Green Eyes and Black Rifles: Warriors Guide to the Combat Carbine by SGM (ret) Kyle E. Lamb are the bees knees in their own right.

nofear
22 August 2009, 04:51
Thanks for that mate.

P2A
22 August 2009, 14:38
Couple other great books are:

Leadership and Training for the Fight- Howe
The Tactical Trainer- Howe
Green Eyes, Black Rifles- Lamb

Enjoy!

grappler
22 August 2009, 15:38
Check out, Magpul Dynamics -- The art of the Tactical Carbine DVD

Old_Starlight
22 August 2009, 21:19
Tap, tap....is this thing on?

Additionally, I'm also looking for a book on Combat Life Saving training or similar.

I'm spending a lot of time on Amazon, but it takes a while to wade through the irrelevant.

NF..

I'll have a scout around for something on First Aid that would suit.

nofear
23 August 2009, 03:01
Thanks for the info on Magpul Dynamics DVD's. Have just ordered them.

Will check out the other recommendations shortly. Thanks guys.

AJ...check your PM's.

medic101
23 August 2009, 12:46
I second Paul Howe's books. I have read both books and trained with Paul in TX. Anything he does is quality...

TXSWAT
24 August 2009, 12:34
Couple other great books are:

Leadership and Training for the Fight- Howe
The Tactical Trainer- Howe
Green Eyes, Black Rifles- Lamb

Enjoy!

exactly what I was going to recommend.

Nousdefions794
25 August 2009, 14:31
I'm not a big fan of "tactical" books/dvds, but I'd recommend "Book of Five Rings" (Go Rin No Sho). Written by Miyamoto Musashi.

If you want to progress on your shooting, look at what the most top shooter read or have read:

"Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" by Brian Enos
"Shooting From Within" by Michael Plaxco

I've made the mistake of buying just about every DVD on shooting out there. By far the BEST is:

The "Burner Series" with Jerry Barnhart.

There is a LOT of information, in fact too much information. He goes into great length on things I don't care about, but I ended up watching the whole series and taking parts out that I found to be useful.

TXSWAT
25 August 2009, 16:31
I'm not a big fan of "tactical" books/dvds, but I'd recommend "Book of Five Rings" (Go Rin No Sho). Written by Miyamoto Musashi.

If you want to progress on your shooting, look at what the most top shooter read or have read:

"Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" by Brian Enos
"Shooting From Within" by Michael Plaxco

I've made the mistake of buying just about every DVD on shooting out there. By far the BEST is:

The "Burner Series" with Jerry Barnhart.

There is a LOT of information, in fact too much information. He goes into great length on things I don't care about, but I ended up watching the whole series and taking parts out that I found to be useful.

And another book to be released in about a year-and-a-half:
"Shooting From Within My Pants" by Plaxico Burress

Sorry....I just had to....

nofear
10 September 2009, 21:30
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I purchased the Magpul Dynamics DVD's, Lamb and Howe books, and am very impressed with them so far.

Thanks again.

NF...

H-man
11 September 2009, 09:22
Paul Howe just came out with his second book: "The Tactical Trainer". Highly recommended.

HKUSP45
11 September 2009, 11:17
If you enjoyed Grossman's On Killing and On Combat, get his "The Bulletproof Mind" DVD series. It's a great one we watched during SFAUC.

HK

nofear
11 September 2009, 18:49
I'm not sure "enjoyed" is the right word. Something along the lines of "epiphany" would be closer!

mbroich
11 September 2009, 19:19
I'm after some book / DVD titles that give good tactical training tips.

I already own:

Training at the Speed of Life - Kenneth Murray
Strategies of Low Light Engagement - Ken Good

I also already have Grossman's On Combat and On Killing.

Are there are other high-quality publications out there?

Someone recommended Todd Jarrett's "Pro Shooting Tips" DVDs to me, but they...dunno....just look....can't explain it....weak? :confused:

Thanks...

I liked: "To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth" Jeff Cooper. Got to skip the african hunting portion. There's other Cooper books that I cannot remember that are worth it.