PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Muay Thai - Thailand

OfficeSloth
8 September 2009, 23:30
I'm looking for some information before I commit a month of my R&R to this place. So, if anyone has any recent experience with Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket, Thailand, I would appreciate it if you could pass on your views and any info you feel is relevant? Thanks in advance for your time!

http://www.tigermuaythai.com/

MixedLoad
9 September 2009, 00:33
Never heard of them, but a school with a good reputation, according to some dudes I work with, is this one:

FairTex (http://www.fairtex.com/overview.php)

Greenhat
9 September 2009, 02:06
FairTex is very well known and has an excellent rep as noted.

MixedLoad
9 September 2009, 02:09
Temporary hijack:

Was just watching this documentary called "Fight or Flight" the other day here. About a guy who'd been punked out his entire life and travels to Thailand to learn how to fight. It's interesting and different. Also shows him training at a variety of camps and checking the different parts of the culture and country out. Really makes me want to go spend some time there.

Massgrunt
9 September 2009, 02:12
My buddy has spent some time at Fairtex and has good things to say about it. He's an experienced BJJ guy (not relevant to Fairtex but he's been around) and former amateur fighter.

MixedLoad
9 September 2009, 02:14
FairTex is very well known and has an excellent rep as noted.

That came out incorrectly. What I meant to say was that I had never heard of the school he inquired about. I have known about FairTex for a long time, both their norcal and Thai camps are good to go.

Not having been on the ground at the ones in Thailand, I was passing on what I had gathered from colleagues, if that makes sense.

magician
9 September 2009, 06:58
Someone tell Rock about this thread. He knows about this stuff.

Local
29 September 2009, 11:09
Spent a week at TMT while traveling around Thailand. It was the most westernized / mma focused camp i stopped at while in Thailand. They have Muay thai, grappling classes, and a full on MMA program.

Muay thai is broken down into two skill levels, beginner and advanced.

I guess it depends on how you like to train. In the advanced class the trainers stay on you, there are group cardio work outs, and lots of sparring between students.

TMT is in the middle of nowhere phuket aka you need to get a scooter to get around. Once you have a scooter, (about $20 usd a day is normal, you can get cheaper if you talk to some of the westerners that have been around for a while) karon beach is about a 15 minute ride away.

the major "night life" (aka the bar girls) are all at patong beach (which is more of an area of bars and a beach hidden there somewhere among the bars) which is a 35 minute trip by car or bike away - though if you plan on drinking while there I'd take a cab. Negotiate about 100 baht each way.

TMT had the biggest ego and was the least thai of any of the training camps i experienced while in thailand.

As some have mentioned, Fairtex is an AWESOME training experience, with real world class fighters and facilities. it is also MUCH more expensive than anywhere else I've been in thailand. I went to the pattaya camp... and if you like bars and bar girls - thats where you go. I went with my girlfriend though and we still managed to have a lot of fun.

Perhaps you should consider a real "thai" experience and look into training up in Chiang mai. Much fewer westerners make it up there and the prices are all "real thai" aka you can eat for $1 usd a meal (thats two plates and a drink buddy) and the thai people are much friendlier / less likely to be running some kind of scam.

Check it out.

Massgrunt
29 September 2009, 12:36
Fwiw, I was in Chiang Mai recently and it was extremely laid back, people were very nice and it wasn't seedy like Patong or Pattaya.

Local
29 September 2009, 14:27
Fwiw, I was in Chiang Mai recently and it was extremely laid back, people were very nice and it wasn't seedy like Patong or Pattaya.

My sentiments exactly. Chiang mai, for its "small town, laid back thai feel" is still a city, with many attractions, but its also very thai instead of what amounts to an international zone like pattaya or phuket.

There are many cultural attractions, including famous temples, the chiang mai night zoo (don't miss this, take the night tour, just make sure you get on the english speaking one) and there are tons of adventure tours to take you into the jungles if you want to see what life is like for the hill tribes, go ride an elephant, white water rafting, etc.

When it comes to training, all the champions move to Bangkok, but many of them are born in Chiang mai.

Personally I trained at Lanna Muay Thai (http://www.lannamuaythai.com/). Its owned by a sweedish guy named Andy and his Thai wife, but everything is run by locals. Andy speaks pretty good english... the rest, well you will learn the important phrases quickly.

This is a traditional style thai camp, right down to the 11 year olds that would give you a run for your money. Where tiger made me feel like I was at a sports camp in the states and rushing for a frat, Lanna taught me on a different level.

A typical day there is

6:30am Meet at the camp, 3km run
7am-10:30am: morning training. After the run people stretch on their own, shadow box, and warm up on the bags. Trainers will walk around and correct problems in your technique. Students will be individually called into the ring to do five five minute rounds on the pads with a trainer. At the end of the session there is sparring.

After the morning session, most people take a shower, eat something from one of the little street cafe's around the camp (the food is AMAZING, and as noted super cheap) and make their way to the internet cafe behind the back wall of the camp. Its 10 baht for an hour - but really people go there because they have the most comfortable chairs ever and have air conditioning.

Afternoon sessions are pretty much the same, but usually end with lots of clinch work.

to quote the website:
Morning
0600-Warm up/Stretch
0610-10 km. Run
0710-Drills (Knees, Kicks Teeps and Punches on the bag)
0730-Shadow Box (5 to 6 rounds)
0800-Bag Work (4 to 5 rounds)
0825-Pad Work (2 to 5 rounds)
0850-Clinching/Sparring (alternate days up to 5 rounds)
0915-Drills (as before)
0935-Exercises (sit ups push ups chin ups)
0950-Shadow Box (2 to 3 rounds)
1005-Cool Down Stretch

Afternoon
1600-Warm Up/Stretch
1610-3 to 5 km. Run
1635-Skip (4 rounds)
1655-Shadow Box (5 to 6 rounds)
1725-Bag Work (6 to 8 rounds)
1805-Pad Work (5 to 6 rounds)
1835-Clinching/Sparring (alternate days, 5 to 6 rounds)
1905-Drills (as morning)
1925-Shadow Box (3 to 4 rounds)
1940-Cool Down Stretch

just show up. Lanna has rooms on site, and will help you negotiate a place to stay at the thai price for the remainder of your stay.

I still have a bunch of friends in Chiang mai and with a little notice could probably get you a furnished apartment near camp and a motorcycle for very cheap :biggrin:

-Local

SGTROCK
29 September 2009, 19:10
Sorry I missed this Ive been in Thailand!!:biggrin:

Rock

Danne
30 September 2009, 12:40
Or if you want to train in a less tourist place you should try Legacy gym in Ubon Ratchathani. Run by danish professional thai/mma fighter Ole Laursen. Great place, spent a month there april/may and will probably go there again.
I know a few people who have been to Tiger, and heard nothing bad about the place.

arizonaguide
2 August 2010, 00:02
Slightly related question:

Anyone done any similar training in Cambodia? (Phnom Penh, or whatever).
Any good recommendations (beginner level) for a future 30day "vacation", cultural experience and sightseeing trip?

Previous Judo (brown belt) and some aikido training, but looking for a good beginning "cultural experience" in Cambodia's related version of "Muay Thai/Boxing".
So BEGINNER level.

Any good experiences?

Greenhat
2 August 2010, 01:37
You're talking about either Bokator or Pradal Serey regarding Cambodia. I understand there are some teachers of Bokator in Phnom Penh. Pradal Serey is much easier to find training in, and throughout Cambodia. It is the style used by Cambodians in Muay Thai competition.

arizonaguide
2 August 2010, 02:10
Thanks GH! That at least gives me someplace/proper names to start looking. :smile: Hell, I'm just going to try and impress the wife (and get some culture), so I've got to set it all up on my own (under the radar), in advance. ;) Whichever discipline is more "traditional" and "respectful" to the old ways would be the one I'm most interested in.

SGTROCK
2 August 2010, 15:34
Something else to look into is Let Wei in Burma(Mynamar). But I wouldnt suggest a vacation there!! lol

Rock

GummyBear0311
2 August 2010, 23:51
I'm looking for some information before I commit a month of my R&R to this place. So, if anyone has any recent experience with Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket, Thailand, I would appreciate it if you could pass on your views and any info you feel is relevant? Thanks in advance for your time!

http://www.tigermuaythai.com/

I know of an MMA site that has a thread on training in Thailand, giving information and advise on muay thai schools. Tiger Muay Thai or TMT is one of the schools recommended in Phuket Island. BTW, Fairtex is located in Pattaya or around that area.

Where are you staying in Phuket? If you are staying in Patong, the muay thai schools are outside of Phuket. There is one in Patong but its up by the mountains, its called Patong Boxing Gym.

MacDuff
3 August 2010, 00:10
I know of an MMA site that has a thread on training in Thailand, giving information and advise on muay thai schools. Tiger Muay Thai or TMT is one of the schools recommended in Phuket Island. BTW, Fairtex is located in Pattaya or around that area.

Where are you staying in Phuket? If you are staying in Patong, the muay thai schools are outside of Phuket. There is one in Patong but its up by the mountains, its called Patong Boxing Gym.

I'm betting he's already figured it out. The original post was from 2009.
:cool:

arizonaguide
3 August 2010, 05:04
Yeah, I jumped on the end of that thread with my Cambodia question.
Hey, it's closeby...I figured someone posting in this thread would know.

I think Greenhat pointed me in the right direction...but if anyone has more on Cambodian Martial disciplines as mentioned in post 13,14,15 and 16...let me know. :biggrin:

Greenhat
3 August 2010, 05:08
Someone I know who owns a bar in Pnomh Penh suggests looking into "Paddy's Gym". He's heard the name from a few people.

arizonaguide
3 August 2010, 13:17
Thanks Greenhat! I really appreciate this.
I'm trying to do it ALL completely "under the wife's radar" so when we get there and I tell her "Hey, I've got a class I have to go to" and head off to the Boxing Gym at 48yrs old (for a begginer's level ass-kicking) she'll say "WTF? I have crazy husband"!!! :biggrin:

Gotta keep the "spice" in life, and ALWAYS be full of surprises. :cool: She inspires me.

GummyBear0311
3 August 2010, 23:13
I'm betting he's already figured it out. The original post was from 2009.
:cool:

Oh, crap embarass myself. Didn't even read the post date when i saw the thread.

Oh well, i am going to Phuket this september. Need to find a muay thai gym that is near the hotel. If there is none, i guess its just all party time overthere.

SGTROCK
4 August 2010, 14:38
Mymuaythai.com has alot of info on Muay Thai and all, both in the states and abroad.

Rock