SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Blackwater Guards To Be Tried (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=120220)

iraqgunz 11 May 2014 04:43

Blackwater Guards To Be Tried

Ok, all bullshit aside, this is ridiculous. It has been almost 7 years since this happened. A Federal judge dismissed charges against one of them due to statute of limitation concerns.

Only one of them is being charged with murder, while the others are being charged with manslaughter. As I recall the entire crime scene was a goat fuck and totally contaminated.

Even more disgusting is that they are going after these guys, but "dude Benghazi was like 2 years ago".

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...harge-23657827

Box 11 May 2014 05:11

...its all about the victims.

On one hand you have a US ambassador killed over a religiously sensitive youtube video.
On the other, an Iraqi civilian killed purely so that Darth Chaney could put bloody oil money in his evil capitalist bank account.

Clearly you see the importance of what is going on here? War profiteers must be punished.

The Corporate Guy 11 May 2014 08:43

There is no statute of limitations on a 1st degree murder charge.

Macka 11 May 2014 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraqgunz (Post 1058391305)
Ok, all bullshit aside, this is ridiculous. It has been almost 7 years since this happened. A Federal judge dismissed charges against one of them due to statute of limitation concerns.

As a general rule, the statute of limitation for a crime is usually comparable to the maximum sentence for said crime. It may vary from state to state as well as the Feds.

In Massachusetts we have a minimum statute of limitations for lower level offenses of 6 years and no limit for murder since the maxim imam sentence is life.

Rockville 11 May 2014 09:06

the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C........
So unAmerican

IrishSoldier 11 May 2014 09:10

How are they supposed to receive due process if the crime scene is on a battlefield and the host nation witnesses are coerced by their government?

This is utter bullshit and probably linked to a civil suit.

Big surprise the US attorney in DC came from one of the law firms doing "pro bono" work at Guantanamo and is a coworker with Jamie Gorelick.

Xdeth 11 May 2014 09:13

The only thing that's bullshit is the number of people also responsible that walked away from it all with no repercussion, others, state dept personnel, and former BW management. This should have been tied up with a bow right after the incident, might want to revisit instituting UCMJ and summary processes for PMC in any theatre of war.

bobofthedesert 11 May 2014 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy L-bach (Post 1058391308)
On one hand you have a US ambassador killed over a religiously sensitive youtube video.

No.

Box 11 May 2014 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobofthedesert (Post 1058391334)
No.

yes...
POTUS and DOS said so

SOTB 11 May 2014 10:26

The trial -- and subsequent punishment (hopefully there is), is long overdue....

KS11 11 May 2014 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058391343)
The trial -- and subsequent punishment (hopefully there is), is long overdue....

Hater. :tongue:

In all seriousness, I wasn't there for that event and have no special insight, but I witnessed enough ridiculous behavior in other events (dudes just itching to get trigger time, and sometimes creating their own problem just so they could) that I certainly won't automatically jump to these guys' defense.

What's the PMC equivalent of the the Thin Blue Line?

Silverbullet 11 May 2014 12:25

Regardless of the actions of those invovled in this incident, it's striking if you compare this against Benghazi. Blood on the hands of Hillary Clinton, the President, SecDef and a a host of others.

Guess Iraqi blood is more valuable than American blood...

I'm amazed by the poor leadership displayed by those who Slatten reported to. Just one payback comment should have gotten him fired. The fact he repeated it as well as the other allegations indicates some serious problems with leaders at state and BW.

The icing on the cake is whether he was one of those who thought it was cool to get a BW tatoo. IMO anyone who did is automatically disqualified from ever working on any project I'm associated with. Lol

iraqgunz 11 May 2014 15:53

My comparison was simply this. I have no idea if they did or didn't do anything wrong. But the entire thing was botched from the legal standpoint. Crime scene was trashed, witnesses, etc... had it been dealt with quickly and efficiently from the beginning and had the USG actually done something I may have been ok with it, but they didn't. And my feeling is that they only took action due to politics.

My mentioning of Benghazi was in reference to the fact that 4 Americans were killed almost 2 years ago and no one on our side has been held accountable. Yet, we are still trying to go after 4 Americans who may or may not have acted unlawfully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet (Post 1058391365)
Regardless of the actions of those invovled in this incident, it's striking if you compare this against Benghazi. Blood on the hands of Hillary Clinton, the President, SecDef and a a host of others.

Guess Iraqi blood is more valuable than American blood...

I'm amazed by the poor leadership displayed by those who Slatten reported to. Just one payback comment should have gotten him fired. The fact he repeated it as well as the other allegations indicates some serious problems with leaders at state and BW.

The icing on the cake is whether he was one of those who thought it was cool to get a BW tatoo. IMO anyone who did is automatically disqualified from ever working on any project I'm associated with. Lol

iraqgunz 11 May 2014 15:57

If you read the article, the guy mentioned was being charged with manslaughter. After a federal judge dismissed that charge based on statute of limitation concerns, they then decided to use the murder charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macka (Post 1058391325)
As a general rule, the statute of limitation for a crime is usually comparable to the maximum sentence for said crime. It may vary from state to state as well as the Feds.

In Massachusetts we have a minimum statute of limitations for lower level offenses of 6 years and no limit for murder since the maxim imam sentence is life.

Silverbullet 11 May 2014 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraqgunz (Post 1058391408)
My comparison was simply this. I have no idea if they did or didn't do anything wrong. But the entire thing was botched from the legal standpoint. Crime scene was trashed, witnesses, etc... had it been dealt with quickly and efficiently from the beginning and had the USG actually done something I may have been ok with it, but they didn't. And my feeling is that they only took action due to politics.

My mentioning of Benghazi was in reference to the fact that 4 Americans were killed almost 2 years ago and no one on our side has been held accountable. Yet, we are still trying to go after 4 Americans who may or may not have acted unlawfully.

Not sure why you quoted me and posted this. I didn't comment on anything you said.

iraqgunz 11 May 2014 16:42

SB,

I guess I misunderstood your previous post above.

Polypro 12 May 2014 09:17

This whole thing started under the Bush admin, correct? Sacrificial lambs so the contractor war machine could keep making $$$'s after a SOFA was signed - Ooops, no SOFA. And like everything else, the current admin ran with it (Like the Drake prosecution, etc...) because a bunch of DA's/AAG's want to make names for themselves.

Just like that former Ranger in jail for interrogation in A-Stan ...all while places like Camp NAMA were in full swing. Or entire occupied apartment buildings being leveled to try and get one guy.

They're all a blight on humanity.

These guys? Yeah, no automatic defense here either, cuz amateurs were all over the place over there... but this is political scape goating run amok, if you ask me.

MSRT1 12 May 2014 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polypro (Post 1058391544)
These guys? Yeah, no automatic defense here either, cuz amateurs were all over the place over there... but this is political scape goating run amok, if you ask me.

As one who ran the WPPS guys through the vetting process down in Moyock, the bolded statement is SO fucking dead on!
Yes, even a Coastie could see that BW was sending people over there that had zero business watching anyone's back. Most were pretty solid but some were downright scary! They were advertising the positions on Monster for crying out loud.

Purgatory 12 May 2014 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polypro (Post 1058391544)
cuz amateurs were all over the place over there... but this is political scape goating run amok, if you ask me.

Polypro..... No shit DEC 2003, there I was at Moyock and I was in a class to head over on the Bremer Detail.... and yes, the senior trainer asked the class "Who here hasn't shot an M-4 carbine before?" .. guys actually raised their hands...... Immediately I knew I was in the wrong room.... (then there was created 3CGI, as it was referred to then, they called and pulled me out of that train wreck !!!, and that was that, thank God).

Wrongs being wrongs, I still think it is beyond fucked up to used protected statements in the prosecutions.......

Xdeth 12 May 2014 14:08

Ego was the biggest problem, top to bottom this is what's really behind just about every major debacle the company faced. Amateur might have gone hand in hand with some of that but more often it was the opposite.

There was also courage and exceptional actions taken by BW personnel, a lot of it.