SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Veterans Issues (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   'Surcharge' on travel pay? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=134508)

RGR.Montcalm 6 May 2019 14:23

'Surcharge' on travel pay?

has anyone heard of this?

I called the VA in Murfreesboro to find out where my travel pay was (its been 6 weeks) and was told they were 'running behind'. the person also told me after I asked whet the rate was for travel that there was a $6 'surcharge' on travel. asked what it was for since my Disability wasn't taxable, so why the surcharge. She couldn't explain.

I know its a small amount but multiply that by 100,000/month visits to the VA by Vets that are authorized travel pay, and you're talking about some REAL MONEY, but for WHAT????

Dangerous 6 May 2019 14:52

A friend was looking to take a job CONUS, they are in Germany, and the G was going to charge them a 10% surcharge. On everything. Air fare, house hold goods, car, etc...

The law has changed according to the USG.

Gray Rhyno 6 May 2019 17:18

Can you claim the $6 as a travel expense?

Semp 7 May 2019 12:06

I think the travel rate is $.415 per mile and is subject to a $3.00 deductible one way ($6.00 round trip) up to a maximum deductible of $18.00 in a month ( which would be 3 trips). After that the VA does not deduct for the 4th trip, 5th trip ect., in the month.

Clear as mud, right?

edit: You might qualify for a waiver of the deductible if you hit certain income levels.

wildman43 7 May 2019 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semp (Post 1058793831)
I think the travel rate is $.415 per mile and is subject to a $3.00 deductible one way ($6.00 round trip) up to a maximum deductible of $18.00 in a month ( which would be 3 trips). After that the VA does not deduct for the 4th trip, 5th trip ect., in the month.

Clear as mud, right?

edit: You might qualify for a waiver of the deductible if you hit certain income levels.

IF you have more than one (1) appointment with in 30 Days the surcharge is only taken out ONE (1) time for that 30 days. After 30 days you get charged again. IF you have say 2 appointments in the same day you only get paid travel for that day. (:biggrin: I have gotten a check for $.67.

tooslow 10 May 2019 15:06

'They' had the darnedest time trying to explain it to me, but guess I 'got it' when they said that a part of my VA travel pay is used to subsidize other Vets' travel expenses.
(Still baffled... but okay)

RGR.Montcalm 14 May 2019 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058793689)
Can you claim the $6 as a travel expense?

no...

Hankpac 21 September 2019 00:03

You know that the VA Employees get a larger amount for travel, and THEY do not pay a surcharge (or a deductible), plus even though meals are included on the form, they will NEVER pay for a lunch.