SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Running Shoes - What's in your closet? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=107577)

Doc P 2 February 2012 15:03

Running Shoes - What's in your closet?
 
I recently purchased and went for my first run in a pair of titanium/black/lime ASICS Men's GEL-1170 running shoes and they are one of the best pairs I've ever had. They weigh ~ 1.5lbs (both) and provide great support. The price point is good as well, I paid $84 at my local DSW.

Mods: I wasn't sure if this should be gear or fitness. Please advise.

Gumby2/6 2 February 2012 15:16

Nike Air Pegasus 28
 
1 Attachment(s)
I like them, as they are light and extremely comfortable, but they have some durability issues. Looking at getting into the minimalist craze as soon as my calves stabilize from the switch to mid-foot strike.

Mars 2 February 2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc P (Post 1058094398)
I recently purchased and went for my first run in a pair of titanium/black/lime ASICS Men's GEL-1170 running shoes and they are one of the best pairs I've ever had. They weigh ~ 1.5lbs (both) and provide great support. The price point is good as well, I paid $84 at my local DSW.

Mods: I wasn't sure if this should be gear or fitness. Please advise.

I bought a pair of those about a month ago and love them. I paid $84 as well at Academy. So far, I don't have anything negative to say about them.

Chesie 2 February 2012 15:54

Asics Gel Nimbus /13. For neutral footfall running. Been using Nimbus for >10y. Excellent support, comfortable, decent longevity.

A good running store will find the right kind of shoe for you, depending on your gait. It's pretty important to do this, as, for example, a person who over-pronates his/her feet would hate the Nimbus but might love the Kayano's.

Regards,
Danny

catfish 2 February 2012 16:03

http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteCon...ultOption=true

Saucony Hattori. Great shoes, in my opinion. Have been using them for a while (8-10 months) with no complaints. Good compromise between a traditional "running flat" and the "5 finger" type shoe.

Whitebean54 2 February 2012 16:23

Merrell Trail Glove Olympia....at Academy for a little over $100. Those are my "Army Approved" foot wear.

MrSmith 2 February 2012 18:01

After a few years of running, I finally broke down and went to a running store and had them fit me for "my" shoe. They watch you run, then give you a few options. Easily the best thing I ever did for my run. Brooks Adrenaline turned out to be my brand/style.

If you haven't done it yet, I definitely recommend having a pro fit you for the right one.

Slinger17516 2 February 2012 18:50

New Balance minimus and 3 pair of 5 fingers. I have really have taken a liking to the minimus. Had the Merrel trail gloves and I like the Minimus more...especially for anything over 5 miles...I am a huge fan of the 5 fingers as well, just not in extreme cold or inclimate weather...

jtk317 2 February 2012 19:31

Addidas Zero's. Tried to get a grey pair but all they had was this ridiculous electric blue with neon green stripes. Needless to say my daughter and gf are continually entertained with their own comments when I go running. Only 65 bucks too.

hunteran 2 February 2012 20:49

Brooks T4 Racer, Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 and a pair of Nike Zoom Kennedys (only for the most special of occasions).

The Fat Guy 2 February 2012 21:02

Brooks beast.

Its appropriate.

nickd 2 February 2012 21:19

Running:

Nike Lunar Glide 3s

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...YWORD%20SEARCH

Just got them recently, liking them a lot so far.


Weightlifting/Plyometrics/general wear

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...0016&size=06.5

^ love these. I'd buy another pair right now if they had my size, especially for 50 bucks. The Nike Trainer SC 2010 was a very good shoe too, possibly even better.

chile 2 February 2012 21:20

New balance 990 series since 1988. Still less than $100 at NEX.

Ranger275 2 February 2012 21:43

Brooks Glycerin.

Dogwasher 3 February 2012 02:11

Any neutral Mizuno, and I'm a big fan of their racing flats.

eltrane 3 February 2012 09:17

Not sure if everybody's heard of eastbay's discount/clearance site : www.final-score.com

Great place to grab all kinds of gear at solid prices. I don't run now, not supposed to with my fake hip, I do walk though and this site has some pretty good bargains.

Hot Mess 3 February 2012 10:15

1 Attachment(s)
New Balance 101Trail Runners. I dig um' Got them last summer so I forget how much they cost.

sar_one 3 February 2012 10:22

same as slinger. new balance minimus and five fingers for decent running conditions. But out here with the gravel, a pair of minimus only lasted maybe 75 miles before the soles were eaten up, had to switch to some more rugged trail shoes. Also, enjoy working out in the five fingers, recently started wearing inji socks in them, a little different but I like it.

chokeu2 3 February 2012 11:54

Vibram Five Fingers.

Never again will I purchase "running shoes" after getting down with the VFF's.

Justaclerk 3 February 2012 12:16

Adizero Feathers, 6.8 ounces apiece and it feels like I'm running in socks. Good support structure, which allows me to glide at a 7:30 pace and push it to 6:45 during speed training. A lot of reviews slam their durability, but I've been running with them since the beginning of December and haven't seen any significant wear and tear.

Highly recommend.

smoked 3 February 2012 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058094944)
Vibram Five Fingers.

Never again will I purchase "running shoes" after getting down with the VFF's.

Ditto. Though, I kick around in the NB Minimus Trails...

Doc P 3 February 2012 14:55

Quote:

Five Fingers users
What was the transition like going from traditional running show to the five fingers? They seem like they would slap the survace more than a traditional shoe.

RNG 3 February 2012 16:11

Iím going to start using a pair of Nike Lunars I bought on sale awhile back.

chokeu2 3 February 2012 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc P (Post 1058095063)
What was the transition like going from traditional running show to the five fingers? They seem like they would slap the survace more than a traditional shoe.

That is a reasonable assumption, but you would be surprised. There is a mental aspect that instinctively occur the moment you start wearing these shoes and walking around in them. It automatically dawns on you that you are, for all intents and purposes are walking around barefoot. That little bit of rubber still allows you to feel everything you step on.

What that translates to when you run is that you run like your barefoot. Hence the name. So you look for rocks, glass, etc. And most importantly, you start running the way your body was designed to run; and that is not with your heel slapping the ground. It is more of a mid-strike, or towards the ball of your foot so that your Achilles and your calf act as the shock absorbers that they were meant to be.

For me, as good a runner as I used to be, it felt like I got my ass kicked after every run. In the VFF's, it feels like I just had a great workout.

Now, that said, you need to build up the muscular endurance to run in these things. Shoes have made our running muscles weak. And your first week running in VFF's are going to be hard. You're going to wake some stuff up that has been asleep most of your life.

Once your about a week or two in, you probably will not go back to running shoes.

Plyometric or gym workout's, wear em. Allows you to work stabilizers.

If they made a dress shoe version, I'd buy those too.

Slinger17516 3 February 2012 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc P (Post 1058095063)
What was the transition like going from traditional running show to the five fingers?

Transition for me...I ran super slow (no faster than a 9:00 mile pace) for a few months just to get accustomed to the different feel. As I started to gain more confidence, get more comfortable with the different sensation, I increased the pace gradually...I have had more than a few friends of mine fuck themselves up trying to run at a race pace with their cool new kicks on without getting a proper feel for them. I also stopped wearing sneakers to the gym when I first got them just to get past the akward feeling of having material in between your toes; weird at first...

Biggest thing the 5 fingers did for me was damn near eliminate my heal strike. My heals do make contact with the ground but it is more of a brush than any kind of strike. Calves got a lot stronger (faster) and knee pain when running longer distances was greatly reduced...

smoked 4 February 2012 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058095178)
If they made a dress shoe version, I'd buy those too.

If you're looking for casuals, check out this site. The sizing chart is spot on...for me at least.

Slinger17516 4 February 2012 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058095178)
If they made a dress shoe version, I'd buy those too.

Not a 5 finger but take a look at Merrel Tough Gloves. Come in black and brown leather...

nofear 4 February 2012 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058094944)
Vibram Five Fingers.

Never again will I purchase "running shoes" after getting down with the VFF's.

+1.

Being injury-free for the first time in approx 8 years is damn enjoyable.

crusader.weber 14 February 2012 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058095178)
That is a reasonable assumption, but you would be surprised. There is a mental aspect that instinctively occur the moment you start wearing these shoes and walking around in them. It automatically dawns on you that you are, for all intents and purposes are walking around barefoot. That little bit of rubber still allows you to feel everything you step on.

What that translates to when you run is that you run like your barefoot. Hence the name. So you look for rocks, glass, etc. And most importantly, you start running the way your body was designed to run; and that is not with your heel slapping the ground. It is more of a mid-strike, or towards the ball of your foot so that your Achilles and your calf act as the shock absorbers that they were meant to be.

For me, as good a runner as I used to be, it felt like I got my ass kicked after every run. In the VFF's, it feels like I just had a great workout.

Now, that said, you need to build up the muscular endurance to run in these things. Shoes have made our running muscles weak. And your first week running in VFF's are going to be hard. You're going to wake some stuff up that has been asleep most of your life.

Once your about a week or two in, you probably will not go back to running shoes.

Plyometric or gym workout's, wear em. Allows you to work stabilizers.

If they made a dress shoe version, I'd buy those too.

Chokeu2,

I was really curious as to why these have become such a trend. Now I know! Have you seen decreased run times on your 2 mile at all after using these? I've been hesitant to purchase a pair but I may just try it out now.

I currently run with a pair of Sauconys, I believe thats how its spelled. I love their transitions and they seem to last a decent amount of time.

chokeu2 14 February 2012 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusader.weber (Post 1058101831)
Chokeu2,

I was really curious as to why these have become such a trend. Now I know! Have you seen decreased run times on your 2 mile at all after using these? I've been hesitant to purchase a pair but I may just try it out now.

I currently run with a pair of Sauconys, I believe thats how its spelled. I love their transitions and they seem to last a decent amount of time.

At first, my run times actually increased! But that was because I started using muscles that have been dormat for God knows how long. However, after about the second week, not only did I have an easier time running the same distance, I "felt" stronger, the run was easier, and it felt like I did a work out; not like the road kicked my ass feet first.

That said, you will also experience muscle growth/development in your achilles and your calves over all. That same development will occur in your quads as well, since they'll become more like the pistons that they were intended to be.

You'll find that you end up wearing them as often as possible. :tongue: In doing that, you will then find that you're less fatigued during the times that you are on your feet.

Go for it.

Zulu6 14 February 2012 18:04

Salomon Speedcross 3, Addidas Kanadia, and Merrill Barefoot glove
 
3 Attachment(s)
I have about 11 pairs but these are the top three that I currently train in. I'm training for a winter Ultra and taking these with.

The Speedcross 3 are incredible. Although, not good for the road, they are the 4X4 of the trail. Light, responsive, and smooth, they are aggressive off road and light giving your great turn over.

The Addidas Kanadia are aggressive in snow and mud. They are truly mud slingers and attack the terrain with its aggressive tread. I train on hilly terrain with lots of snow in the winter and these shoes are perfect.

Merrill Barefoot glove, to me, are better than 5 fingers. I have a pair of 5 fingers that are great, but not so much on trails with technical terrain. The MBG encases the entire feet with the same benefits of the 5 Fingers. Furthermore, the reenforce strike plate on the ball of the shoe allow for a more aggressive and comfortable acceleration without the added stress on the joint in the feet.

The MBG enables me to stay on the forefront of my feet which allows quicker turnovers.

Gumby2/6 14 February 2012 20:42

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up some Nike Vomero 6s last week and I really like them. I tried transitioning to a mid-foot strike for about a month and a half and while it felt more natural, my recovery times after runs were twice as long and weren't getting any shorter.

A job I'm I'm applying for requires me to work on my running now and I don't have the time I thought I would have to work on the mid-foot strike. Oh well, if you're going to heel-strike, at least do it with some of the most pillowy damn shoes on the market.

Ranger275 14 February 2012 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger275 (Post 1058094676)
Brooks Glycerin.

Now it's Brooks Pure Flow.

crusader.weber 15 February 2012 12:26

@chokeu2

Sounds like I'm going to have to try them out! Going to see what the policy is on KAF if we're allowed to use them for running the boardwalk. If not I'll just wear them in the prison gym!

Thanks for the info!

nofear 15 February 2012 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusader.weber (Post 1058102519)
@chokeu2

Sounds like I'm going to have to try them out! Going to see what the policy is on KAF if we're allowed to use them for running the boardwalk. If not I'll just wear them in the prison gym!

Thanks for the info!

FYI - There's a fairly lengthy thread on the VFF subject...

Hoepoe 15 February 2012 15:59

Nike Zoom Structure Triax


Chokeu2, how are you? Thanks for that write up. I think I will try those. They look really comfortable and I like the concept.

H

WPSPSS 16 February 2012 17:43

Brooks cadence. Good light shoe for someone with shin splints. I have to replace "good" shoes every 300-500 miles or shin splints really start to kick my ass. I have put about 100 miles on these. I run around 20 miles a week, up to 10 miles at a time and these seem to be good so far.

camp3r 16 February 2012 21:31

For the Gym and River:
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w..._Zoomblack.jpg

For Road and some trail:
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w..._zoomblack.jpg

For Trail/training:
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...oc290_zoom.jpg

For Race:
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww1/camp3r/shoe2.jpg

(although I do sometimes use my other road shoe above for race as well.
All of these are solid shoes and highly recommend.Especially the Solomans,The INOV8's are "love'em or hate them"
There are many great shoes out so its just personal pref.

camp3r 16 February 2012 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058094944)
Vibram Five Fingers.

Never again will I purchase "running shoes" after getting down with the VFF's.

I think the VFF is ok...some love them ,as you I see.As long as you dont wear them everywhere you go like many "Dorks" out there....lol

chokeu2 16 February 2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp3r (Post 1058103410)
I think the VFF is ok...some love them ,as you I see.As long as you dont wear them everywhere you go like many "Dorks" out there....lol

Yea, I do.

And thanks for telling me what not to do, because I guess I'm one of the "dorks" out there. :rolleyes:

Is it okay with you if I wear them with shorts in the summer?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved