SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network (https://socnet.com/index.php)
-   Medal of Honor (https://socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Cpt Florent Groberg awarded the Medal of Honor 11-12-15 (https://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=125623)

agonyea 12 November 2015 18:54

Cpt Florent Groberg awarded the Medal of Honor 11-12-15

2 Attachment(s)
Medal of Honor:

Groberg, Florent A.
Organization: U.S. Army
Company: 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
Division: 4th Infantry Division
Born: 8 May 1983, Poissy, France
Departed: No
Entered Service At: Bethesda, Maryland July, 2008
G.O. Number:
Date of Issue: 11/12/2015
Accredited To:
Place / Date: Asadabad, Kunar Province, Afghanistan, 8 August 2012

Groberg, Florent A. Photo

Citation

Captain Florent A. Groberg distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a personal security detachment commander for Task Force Mountain Warrior, Fourth Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Fourth Infantry Division during combat operations against an armed enemy in Asadabad, Kunar Province, Afghanistan, on August 8, 2012. On that day, Captain Groberg was leading a dismounted movement consisting of several senior leaders to include two brigade commanders, two battalion commanders, two command sergeants major, and an Afghanistan National Army brigade commander. As they approached the provincial governor’s compound, Captain Groberg observed an individual walking close to the formation. While the individual made an abrupt turn towards the formation, he noticed an abnormal bulge underneath the individual’s clothing. Selflessly placing himself in front of one of the brigade commanders, Captain Groberg rushed forward using his body to push the suspect away from the formation. Simultaneously, he ordered another member of the security detail to assist with removing the suspect. At this time, Captain Groberg confirmed the bulge was a suicide vest. And with complete disregard for this life, Captain Groberg, again, with the assistance of the other member of the security detail, physically pushed the suicide bomber away from the formation. Upon falling, the suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest outside of the perimeter of the formation, killing four members of the formation and wounding numerous others. The blast from the first suicide bomb caused the suicide vest of a previously unnoticed second suicide bomber to detonate prematurely with minimal impact on the formation. Captain Groberg’s immediate actions to push the first suicide bomber away from the formation significantly minimized the impact of the coordinated suicide bombers’ attack on the formation, saving the lives of his comrades and several senior leaders. Captain Groberg’s extraordinary heroism and selflessness above and beyond the call of duty at the risk of his life on keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflect great credit upon himself, Fourth Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Fourth Infantry Division, and the United States Army

UGA_11B 12 November 2015 19:00

Well done sir!

The Fat Guy 12 November 2015 20:48

Congratulations Captain, we'll done.

8654maine 12 November 2015 21:33

Thank you sir for your bravery.

Mars 12 November 2015 21:44

Congratulations, Sir!

Well done, indeed!

Dangerous 12 November 2015 22:54

Damned good job Captain!

CA SGT 12 November 2015 23:42

Well done Captain, well done.

SATCOM 13 November 2015 09:31

Humbled by his actions that day. Truly deserving of the MOH.

bikewrench8541 13 November 2015 20:52

Another well deserved award. These citations are amazing, truly selfless.

just11b 19 November 2015 09:35

Great job, Captain.

MixedLoad 19 November 2015 21:35

Outstanding work, Sir.

Hopeless Civilian 3 December 2015 22:01

I taped it last night and watched it today. Capt. Groberg was on Late Nite with Colbert . He did a great interview as was so humble as he relived the events that earned him the MOH. Colbert opened the show with another MOH recipient, Col. Jack Jacobs (retired) who was awarded the MOH in Vietnam. Whenever I see a mention of a recipient I'm not familiar with I always have to look then up and check the citation. As is usual, I was blown away by Col. Jacobs action. Thank God we have real heroes such as these to pay tribute too.

256 8 January 2018 01:12

Honored to have served with this man. Cpt Groberg was my Company XO in A Co. 2-12 IN. Really great leader. I can think of a specific time he put his ass on the line for me after I had my ass chewed by our BC. Thanks for your service Flo, saved a bunch of lives that day.