SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network (https://socnet.com/index.php)
-   Special Operations Tributes (https://socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   SFC Mizuho Mishima Bobroskie (https://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=69009)

Q 18 April 2007 02:54

SFC Mizuho Mishima Bobroskie

Hi all, I haven't visited the site in some time and this is a bit late, but I thought I would post this here. I had the honor of attending Mr. Bobroskie's service this past week and he will be missed.

SFC (R) Mizuho NMI Bobroskie (D-446)

Ms, Lisa Bobroskie, daughter of Mizuho “Bo” Bobroskie, D-446, Chapter 43 informed the Special Forces Association that he had passed away on April 6, 2007. Bo served in the 1st SFG (A), 5th SFG (A), and the 10th SFG (A). Bo leaves a wife, and daughter. Cards and letters of condolences can be sent to: Satomi & Lisa Bobroskie, 3730 W. 176th ST, Torrance, CA 90504-3305. The funeral is scheduled for April 16, 2007 at 11:00 hrs in Green Hills Memorial Park & Mortuary, 27501 S. Western Ave, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275.

He was born on December 30th, 1938 in Amami Oshima, Kagoshima prefecture, Japan. His mother, Wako, married an American soldier, and changed his last name to Bobroskie.

In 1958, graduated from Naha High School in Okinawa, Japan. After graduating, he moved to the United States with his family.

In 1959, joined the United States Army.

In 1960-65, became part of the Special Forces A Team in the 1st, 5th and 10th Groups.

In 1965-1972, commanded long range reconnaissance company in Vietnam, leading a multi-national unit in guerilla operations, POW missions, and deep penetration behind enemy lines.

In 1972-74, assigned as liaison officer/ chief interpreter in coordinating the transfer of Okinawa from U.S. to Japanese control and helped establish the first joint U.S.-Japanese Motivation Unit to rehabilitate drug offenders in Okinawa.

In 1980, retired from the United States Army.

In 1985, married to his wife, Satomi Kurahashi.

In 1989, moved to Torrance, CA.

April 6, 2007 at 5:20 PM, passed away at the age of 68.

He served twenty-one years in teh United States Army in the elite Special Forces, the fabled "Green Berets." An expert in counter-insurgency and counter terrorist tactics, Mr. Bobroskie served seven combat tours of duty in Vietnam and various European stations, and held a "Final Top" secret security clearance. A talented linguist, he completed courses in Russian, Norwegian, Finnish, and Vietnamese languages and had the unique distinction of being the only member of the Green Berets to be able to fluently read, speak, and write Japanese. He has written several books in Japanese and has provided assistance in areas such as physical site security consultation, security screening of personnel, and executive and executive family security measures.

Awards received include:Meritorious Service Medal, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Philippines Presidential Unit Citation, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign w/ 60 Device, Vietnam Cross of Gallantry w/ Palm, Combat Infantry Badge, Master Parachute Badge, Scuba Diver Badge.

magician 18 April 2007 04:12

Thank you for posting this.

Talk about "old school!"

RIP, Bo.

Typhoon 18 April 2007 10:24

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
RIP SFC Bobroskie. Thank you for your valiant service to this country.

That is an amazing life story, Q. Thank you so much for posting it.

TigerDad 22 September 2007 20:44

Just saw this - wow, we are going to miss Bo.

Bo and I served on the same SCUBA team and had some great experiences together. A few things about Bo you might not know. He was a great cook. Down in Key West - he was our cook three or four nights a week - He showed up down there with all his standard gear plus, a rice cooker and a broiler and also a 50 pound bag of rice and a gallon of Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce. We caught hog-nose snappers and lobsters and he cooked them - we ate well.

Also, it was fun to talk about him as being the typical pollock that each team seemed to have, except that he was not typical and he was only half Polish,

Also - he was small - he liked to buy his clothes in the "boys department" he said he saved lots of money that way. Finally he was the first person I ever knew to own a VCR. He came back from one of his annual visits home back in the late 70s and he had a Sony Betamax with him - he paid a thousand dollars for it - because I was the commo guy then, he asked me to set it up - not that I knew anything about it anyway, but Bo was not too technical - not one of his strong points.

So - that is just a small glimpse of my friend - hope you enjoyed it.

TigerDad

CDRODA396 22 September 2007 20:51

Rest In Peace SFC (R) Mizuho "BO" Bobroskie and Thank You for Your Service...

Q Thanks for posting that so it was not overlooked, and TigerDad, Thank You for sharing a more "personal" glimpse of the man...

SFS0AVN 23 September 2007 12:18

RIP and Godspeed SFC "BO" Bobroskie.