SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

The Fat Guy 18 April 2018 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058718805)
My fever for upgrading my bike is growing...I hate you all.

The next 15-30 days is going to be the sweet spot for buying a Harley. 0% interest, just do it and tell your wife I said it was OK.

KidA 18 April 2018 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058718899)
The next 15-30 days is going to be the sweet spot for buying a Harley. 0% interest, just do it and tell your wife I said it was OK.

I don't think he's an accountant or dentist so why would he want a Harley?

Maverick 18 April 2018 10:46

Quote:

Well I got the divorce knocked out last year, so that problem is solved. The only thing stopping me is I'm looking to purchase a house around December/January timeframe. That and I'm rebuilding some damage the ex did to my credit...so not even sure I'd qualify for the 0% :mad:

Hoepoe 18 April 2018 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058718332)
Had a lot of fun running around on the bike a couple weeks back. Nothing better than tossing your tent, bag, and provisions in the panniers and hitting the road.

Living life!

Is that a Honda?

Five-O 18 April 2018 13:30

Quote:

Harley offers service where they will give you a receipt for what you told your wife what you paid for the bike. :biggrin:

Five-O 18 April 2018 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058718901)

Ouch. Right in the feels.

The Fat Guy 18 April 2018 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058718332)
Had a lot of fun running around on the bike a couple weeks back. Nothing better than tossing your tent, bag, and provisions in the panniers and hitting the road.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HgT8LhK.png

Do those boxes next to you in the tent detach from the bike (CPT Obvious, right) That is pretty cool. That whole set up is a good looking bike.

The Fat Guy 18 April 2018 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058718901)

I am sure that decades of being street fodder for real motorcycles has left you in a quandry to the fact that those "Things" that zoomed past your sewing machine motor Vespa were actually real men on real motorcycles. I will change your screen name to "Howard"

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130719103719

KidA and Azatty on "The Vespa"

MilkBoneSkivies 18 April 2018 14:04

^^^^^^^

:o VESPA....

CV 18 April 2018 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058718950)
Do those boxes next to you in the tent detach from the bike (CPT Obvious, right) That is pretty cool. That whole set up is a good looking bike.

Yes, those are panniers. The smaller one sits on the side with the exhaust. I use that for all my tools. The other one is where I stash clothing, food, and other travel gear. Honestly, it's almost the same gear that I take backpacking.

I'm loving it so far.

KidA 18 April 2018 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058718951)
I am sure that decades of being street fodder for real motorcycles has left you in a quandry to the fact that those "Things" that zoomed past your sewing machine motor Vespa were actually real men on real motorcycles.

It's usually more like this:

Janitor 18 April 2018 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058718951)
KidA and Azatty on "The Vespa"

To be clear, KidA's the one wearing the pink helmet and riding bitch.

Stretch 18 April 2018 18:11

1 Attachment(s)
I think I caught Gsniper ahead of me this PM.

That flannel shirt gave him away... :D

The Fat Guy 19 April 2018 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058718978)
It's usually more like this:

That will probably be me, except I won't bitch when I get passed.

KidA 19 April 2018 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719112)
That will probably be me, except I won't bitch when I get passed.

I'll wait for you at the next All You Can Eat Buffet and save a booth.

The Fat Guy 19 April 2018 23:21

I don't get it ?

KidA 19 April 2018 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719367)
I don't get it ?

Because I'm generally a nice guy, and after passing you, especially knowing you're a new-ish rider and probably could use a break to stretch your legs, let your shoulders relax, your hands relax because new riders tend to tense up, you could probably use a break, get off the bike, walk around, maybe have a lunch. We could chat about the ride, talk about adjusting the bars if you find you're over or under stretched, maybe give some pointers about picking a line through curves, etc.

And at an All You Can Eat Buffet because you're fat.

The Fat Guy 19 April 2018 23:50

What kind of tools do you guys carry? Other emergency road side gear?

The Fat Guy 19 April 2018 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058719369)
Because I'm generally a nice guy, and after passing you, especially knowing you're a new-ish rider and probably could use a break to stretch your legs, let your shoulders relax, your hands relax because new riders tend to tense up, you could probably use a break, get off the bike, walk around, maybe have a lunch. We could chat about the ride, talk about adjusting the bars if you find you're over or under stretched, maybe give some pointers about picking a line through curves, etc.

And at an All You Can Eat Buffet because you're fat.

And sadly, your affliction has no remedying eating estalishment.

KidA 19 April 2018 23:53

When I used to ride old 2-stroke motorcycles and whatnot I'd carry every damned thing.

Unfortunately most new bikes you aren't fixing anything on the side of the road. Best thing you can carry is a non-expired credit card and a charged cell phone and the number of AAA.

I will say that as I get up there I wish I could put a plug for a heated vest and had heated grips. Some mornings I'm very warm but for my damned hands, even in gloves.

Dark Helmet 20 April 2018 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719371)

Forget it. You have a Milwaukee 8, while badass, is computer controlled and fuel injected. There isn't much you can do to it on the road....

CV 20 April 2018 07:20

Quote:

Your best all-around emergency road side gear should include the means to have a charged phone and a bottle of water.

Dependent on the kind of riding you're doing, you could carry more, based on your bike and gear. I carry a tool roll with a small set of wrenches, tire irons, and more. I'll snap a photo later.

The Fat Guy 20 April 2018 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058719385)
Forget it. You have a Milwaukee 8, while badass, is computer controlled and fuel injected. There isn't much you can do to it on the road....

What about shit like fixing a tire? So maybe just my triple AAA card.

DaveP 20 April 2018 09:46

Although I'm completely mech-useless, in addition to small tool kit for loose screws, etc, I keep zip ties for locking the front brake if needing to stand the bike back up and some wire, bolt/nuts/washers for fabbing a shift peg if snapped in said fall.

Corrections and additions welcome.
DaveP

Dark Helmet 20 April 2018 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719438)
What about shit like fixing a tire? So maybe just my triple AAA card.

No, fuck that. You just bought a brand new Harley. You get complimentary roadside assistance for at least two years....

Find somewhere to hide a pistol, cell phone, and some water....

The Fat Guy 20 April 2018 22:59

Bike was delivered today and I rode a motorcycle for the first time in 30 years. This thing is crazy fast, you have to watch moving your right hand to hit the turn signal cause you bump the throttle and it takes off. After about an hour in the little town I store it in, stopping, turning, stalling, I got the hang of it and went down the highway for about 10 miles, hit the exit and came back. What an uber powerful machine this thing is. KidA, you were right, I had the Green Beret death grip on the throttle. All in all very pleased. Much more practice and much more fun.

The Fat Guy 20 April 2018 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058719419)
Your best all-around emergency road side gear should include the means to have a charged phone and a bottle of water.

Dependent on the kind of riding you're doing, you could carry more, based on your bike and gear. I carry a tool roll with a small set of wrenches, tire irons, and more. I'll snap a photo later.

I found out today that it has a USB port. Two hard sided leather locking saddle bags as well.

NYwood914 20 April 2018 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719672)
Bike was delivered today and I rode a motorcycle for the first time in 30 years.

Congrats!! Can we see some pictures?

I'm thinking about getting a bike myself as all of my fellow coaches ride together regularly.

Dark Helmet 20 April 2018 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYwood914 (Post 1058719676)
Can we see some pictures?

Yes! Pictures!

Hoepoe 20 April 2018 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet

The V7 KidA wrote about is great bike ...

Really enjoying mine!

8654maine 21 April 2018 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719672)
Bike was delivered today and I rode a motorcycle for the first time in 30 years. This things is crazy fast, you have to watch moving your right hand to hit the turn signal cause you bump the throttle and it takes off. After about an hour in the little town I store it in, stopping, turning, stalling, I got the hang of it and wen down the highway for about 10 miles, hit the exit and cam back. What an uber powerful machine this thing is. KidA, you were right, I had the Green Beret death grip on the throttle. All in all very pleased. Much more practice and much more fun.

Just Awesome!

CV 21 April 2018 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719673)
I found out today that it has a USB port. Two hard sided leather locking saddle bags as well.

Pics!

Silverbullet 21 April 2018 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058719673)

Next thing you'll be tricking it out like this dude did at Laidlaw Harley.
https://youtu.be/HLXX6XVAeOs

Buaya Darat 21 April 2018 10:09

Quote:

I have a '16 Road Glide and a '10 Sportster and have done quite a bit of mods to both bikes.

Both get a Leatherman, a set of hex keys and a small tube of Loctite as the standard kit. In addition to that, the RG gets an IFAK with tourniquet, flashlight, rain suit and a neoprene face mask.

I'm not sure how the Road Kings are set up, but my RG's USB port doesn't put out enough juice to charge the phone if I'm using it for nav - so I plug a 2.1 amp car charger into the bike's cigarette lighter to keep the phone topped up.

Maverick 21 April 2018 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet (Post 1058719725)

That bike is gorgeous! :eek:

Hoggmedic 21 April 2018 11:32

[QUOTE=The Fat Guy;1058719672]Bike was delivered today and I rode a motorcycle for the first time in 30 years.

Feels like home doesn't it?!

Paul85 21 April 2018 11:52

Saw a Boss Hoss last summer. Didn't have a chance to talk to the rider. Custom paintjob, impressive acceleration - however, the size... I'm 6,3' with 220lb and I do think it might be too big for me( not to mention gas bill and turn radius).

A friend of mine has Electra Glide (the new ultra classic) and he's happy with it. Started modding it and he can't stop so the wife is trying to make him sell it so he stops spending money on chrome ;)

bobmueller 21 April 2018 13:16

Quote:

From the video description: "finished customizing."

Is there such a status?

Paul85 21 April 2018 13:58

IMHO yes, with a caveat: "for now"

:smile:

Dark Helmet 21 April 2018 14:22

Quote:

You know he is a true mechanic when he wears SnapOn brand gloves while riding...