SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

Dragbag 7 September 2013 10:56

Matchanu, I just have add this, we knew you team guys had penis envy of all of us Force Marines when we were around each other, we gave you guys the benefit of the doubt though, due to shrinkage from the cold water of the SD Bay.:eek:

8654maine 7 September 2013 11:47

Man, I'm hankering for a bike, but the wallet is thin.

Matchanu 7 September 2013 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8654maine (Post 1058320440)
Man, I'm hankering for a bike, but the wallet is thin.

Start off small and affordable, rebuild it and make it pretty, sell up and buy up, repeat.

Worked for me.;)

JoeArmyNCO 7 September 2013 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkindasux (Post 1058320325)

Nice.

CAP MARINE 7 September 2013 15:16

Just dropped by Fort Thunder in Moore,Ok.looking at a Street Bob.i can build one on the Harley web and get a whole lot more for my $. I have a little 883C,08,my first bike.

Local 7 September 2013 21:20

4 Attachment(s)
Built my girl from the ground up.

This is the first machine I've ever done all the work and maintenance on . It's been a learning experience and I've loved (almost) every minute of it.

My favorite mods are the 120 db compressor driven air horn I hid under the tail section and the after market penski rear shock. Damn thing always ran like a raped ape but making her handling and braking world class has added the most to the riding experience.

I ride her every day it's possible in Boston weather .. and some days I probably shouldn't. She has never let me down.

Im looking into buying a 1993 Yamaha VMAX so she might have a sister soon.

- Local

Harley Busa 8 September 2013 08:54

My HD Fatboy, can't find any pics of my Hayabusa.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...emedic/012.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...ic/010-1-1.jpg

8654maine 8 September 2013 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058320441)
Start off small and affordable, rebuild it and make it pretty, sell up and buy up, repeat.

Worked for me.;)

You got me. Will save for Spring.

bugeater 8 September 2013 09:29

Here's my baby:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...o/IMG_1448.jpg

2012 S1000RR... I mean, come on, it's got heated hand grips!

Local 8 September 2013 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugeater (Post 1058320568)
Here's my baby:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...o/IMG_1448.jpg

2012 S1000RR... I mean, come on, it's got heated hand grips!

this is beautiful. I got to ride one of these for a weekend and it's the fastest smoothest ride I've ever sat on.

- Local

Medic09 8 September 2013 15:14

1 Attachment(s)
This is my regular commuter and grocery hauler. There's a '75 Triumph Trident T160 in the garage that desperately needs to be refurbished and put back on the road. And there's a pretty long list of previous rides. I think my all time favorites were my '78 Honda SOHC 750Four and the '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i. But the wife likes this one, and Momma should be happy. :biggrin:

bugeater 9 September 2013 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Local (Post 1058320598)
this is beautiful. I got to ride one of these for a weekend and it's the fastest smoothest ride I've ever sat on.

- Local

Thanks! Pretty much every time I ride, when I want to go fast it does, and makes me do this: :eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BackInTheDay 9 September 2013 15:04

Quote:

Ya'll can buy your fancy chrome machines, every piece of this scooter has been fabricated or built by me to include the engine.

When you can figure out how to double the horsepower of one of your Harleys (not with bolt on, but custom engineering and fabrication and trial and error) let's talk.
Still a Vespa tho

B 2/75 9 September 2013 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackInTheDay (Post 1058320853)
Still a Vespa tho

Might be, but that's a Scooter that I'd love to have myself.

Fast Eddie 9 September 2013 15:58

1 Attachment(s)
Old School.... Bought this bike in 1976 while stationed in Charleston, SC. Sold it three years later right before I got out of active duty. I found it on Ebay four years ago. SN matched and it still had the my initials scratched in under the seat!! Still runs like a scalded dog just takes longer for her to warm up!

Fast Eddie 9 September 2013 16:02

1 Attachment(s)
New School 2009 Road king with some bling!

KidA 9 September 2013 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie (Post 1058320866)
Old School.... Bought this bike in 1976 while stationed in Charleston, SC. Sold it three years later right before I got out of active duty. I found it on Ebay four years ago. SN matched and it still had the my initials scratched in under the seat!! Still runs like a scalded dog just takes longer for her to warm up!

My next door neighbor's dad when I was a kid had one of these, it was the first street bike I rode on the back of and I still remember how damned fast it was.

He was a VN vet, rode the piss out of anything on two wheels and we'd watch him bring the front wheel of that up and go through all the gears riding a wheelie. To say he could ride was an understatement.

Mac 9 September 2013 18:59

KidA, was the Vespa picture a joke, or do you really ride one?

Fast Eddie 9 September 2013 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058320899)
My next door neighbor's dad when I was a kid had one of these, it was the first street bike I rode on the back of and I still remember how damned fast it was.

He was a VN vet, rode the piss out of anything on two wheels and we'd watch him bring the front wheel of that up and go through all the gears riding a wheelie. To say he could ride was an understatement.

I used to bet beers for the night that I could do 0-60 in first gear without redlining it. Never lost that bet! Many a weekend night doing 130-140 on I-26 at 2:00am headed back to the ship drunk and fucked up.

Hoepoe 9 September 2013 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic09 (Post 1058320627)
This is my regular commuter and grocery hauler. There's a '75 Triumph Trident T160 in the garage that desperately needs to be refurbished and put back on the road. And there's a pretty long list of previous rides. I think my all time favorites were my '78 Honda SOHC 750Four and the '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i. But the wife likes this one, and Momma should be happy. :biggrin:

Nice bike! By the panniers it looks like you tour on it?

H

Hoepoe 9 September 2013 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie (Post 1058320866)

That looks just like the "new" W series. Beautiful, classic and classy.

H

Medic09 9 September 2013 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoepoe (Post 1058320976)
Nice bike! By the panniers it looks like you tour on it?

H

The panniers get daily use for groceries and other errands, and my commute (about 130 miles round trip; an hour each way). They allow me to lock up my riding gear and leave it on the bike in the parking lot, if I want.

We don't tour as much as we'd like, but occasionally we'll get away for a few days to a week. Sometimes on two bikes; sometimes two-up on the beast. Sometimes camping, sometimes staying indoors. Whenever I need to do a professional course or conference, I try to find one within a two or three day ride so I have an excuse for a nice long ride. The wife is taking off for over a week to ride to a conference and back. We're still trying to find consecutive time for a major cross-country trip; but it is hard to coordinate work schedules and find someone reliable to care for our animals.

Medic09 9 September 2013 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoepoe (Post 1058320977)
That looks just like the "new" W series. Beautiful, classic and classy.

H

That Kawi really is a pretty example. They were real road-burners, too. For my taste, that is what a motorbike should look like.

B 2/75 10 September 2013 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic09 (Post 1058320989)
That Kawi really is a pretty example. They were real road-burners, too. For my taste, that is what a motorbike should look like.

Fastest I've ever been, on the ground, was on I-81 in East Tennessee just before it was opened. For a year shortly after we got our licenses it was completed but for paint stripes, guard rails, and signs, pending completion of some bridge somewhere.... after taking down a section of fence on a schoolmate's farm we had access to the best kid's dragstrip you could ever want. Bobby Droke had a Z1 900, which I wrapped up tight one day.

Laying on the seat, chin on the gas cap, feet out the back, I got it up to 140. By then the wind was starting to peel the full-face helmet back, the chin bar getting in front of my eyes, so I quit.

:smile: Sweet bike (both of 'em)

Matchanu 10 September 2013 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac (Post 1058320904)
KidA, was the Vespa picture a joke, or do you really ride one?

He rode one from Washington State to NYC to raise money for the SOWF.

It's not what you ride it's how much and where you ride. However, riding a small scooter that kind of distance is really quite an accomplishment.

The bigger bikes with wind screens and large fairings is almost cheating when it comes to distance riding (I'm not bad mouthing it, it's a far smarter way to ride). I ride long distances on a naked bike (86 FXR), I'm pretty worn out when the ride is over, but I like riding that way. I've owned bikes with wind screens and it's a noticable difference.

I'm not posting pictures of my ride on a public forum, PERSEC and such.

Husker19D30 10 September 2013 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058321051)

Brother, I've seen your wheels and I wish you could share them. You put a shit ton of work into your stuff...

Fast Eddie 10 September 2013 12:11

2 Attachment(s)
Here a bike I was given several months ago. I had plans to restore it until I realized that parts are almost non existent!

A 1967 F1

KidA 10 September 2013 12:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Turns out the motor in the red one is the same motor I had built for the 1965 VBB that I did that ride on in 2006. It's been refurbished and I did have to rebuild the entire motor in a motel parking lot in Nebraska (or Indiana?) when I bent a crank but the cases have held up. Been through about 10 clutches since then though.

Here's a picture of me entering Chicago on that ride. That's a K&N Filter on the side, had to cut open the cowl to fit the carb and filter. That tank on the front legshield is plumbed into the main tank under the seat so I could gravity feed it and get an extra 2.5 gallons without having to stop.

While it is a "scooter" It also has a 225cc 2-stroke motor so only get about 20 mpg out of it, if I don't romp on it.

KS11 10 September 2013 12:41

Quote:

It's not what you ride it's how much and where you ride. However, riding a small scooter that kind of distance is really quite an accomplishment.

The bigger bikes with wind screens and large fairings is almost cheating when it comes to distance riding (I'm not bad mouthing it, it's a far smarter way to ride). I ride long distances on a naked bike (86 FXR), I'm pretty worn out when the ride is over, but I like riding that way. I've owned bikes with wind screens and it's a noticable difference.

Just post pics of your "friend's" bike.

KS11 10 September 2013 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058321093)
Turns out the motor in the red one is the same motor I had built for the 1965 VBB that I did that ride on in 2006. It's been refurbished and I did have to rebuild the entire motor in a motel parking lot in Nebraska (or Indiana?) when I bent a crank but the cases have held up. Been through about 10 clutches since then though.

Here's a picture of me entering Chicago on that ride. That's a K&N Filter on the side, had to cut open the cowl to fit the carb and filter. That tank on the front legshield is plumbed into the main tank under the seat so I could gravity feed it and get an extra 2.5 gallons without having to stop.

While it is a "scooter" It also has a 225cc 2-stroke motor so only get about 20 mpg out of it, if I don't romp on it.

That's pretty sweet. When I glanced at the photo, I was immediately reminded of this. He got 70mpg on that hog.

Seriously, though cross-country on that scooter? Pretty badass. If I did that, I'd need back surgery immediately upon arrival.

Hoepoe 10 September 2013 13:18

1 Attachment(s)
My old Honda CB 500. Small, but big enough for this NJ sized country :-)
Please excuse the low quality.

Unfortunately i'm a cage pilot now (but get my kicks mountain biking)

H

HighDragLowSpeed 10 September 2013 14:01

Quote:

Here's a picture of me entering Chicago on that ride.

All that's missing is the Heck's Angels pleather (with a "p") jacket :biggrin:

diverescue 10 September 2013 14:26

'04 FXDX Superglide Sport

1 Attachment(s)
Naked bike, fun in the twisties and room for a lady friend on the tiny back seat. No need for a "no fat chicks" sticker.

Mac 10 September 2013 15:27

Quote:

Vespa enablers must be stopped!

leopardprey 10 September 2013 16:32

Quote:

Pretty awesome. What type of bike is that? It seems much smaller than some of the more modern day Vespas.

Saw a lot of new Vespas for sale in Vietnam, very nice. Dated a girl who had just bought one, with a matching helmet, that was really sharp.

leopardprey 10 September 2013 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by diverescue (Post 1058321117)
Naked bike, fun in the twisties and room for a lady friend on the tiny back seat. No need for a "no fat chicks" sticker.

Nice.

KidA 11 September 2013 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058321138)
Pretty awesome. What type of bike is that? It seems much smaller than some of the more modern day Vespas.

The black one is a 1965 VBB. Originally was a 4-speed manual and a 150cc motor with a 22mm carb. They'd run about 50-55 mph.

With my motor...well let's say I hit 90 on it being paced by a car and still had room to grow but at those speeds on that tiny machine you didn't want to stay at that speed for long.

sarc88 11 September 2013 13:27

2013 Triumph Thruxton

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this a couple wknds ago. Note the absence of a bitch seat - still got the Road King for that tho.

Hoepoe 11 September 2013 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic09 (Post 1058320988)
The panniers get daily use for groceries and other errands, and my commute (about 130 miles round trip; an hour each way). They allow me to lock up my riding gear and leave it on the bike in the parking lot, if I want.

We don't tour as much as we'd like, but occasionally we'll get away for a few days to a week. Sometimes on two bikes; sometimes two-up on the beast. Sometimes camping, sometimes staying indoors. Whenever I need to do a professional course or conference, I try to find one within a two or three day ride so I have an excuse for a nice long ride. The wife is taking off for over a week to ride to a conference and back. We're still trying to find consecutive time for a major cross-country trip; but it is hard to coordinate work schedules and find someone reliable to care for our animals.

Sounds good. That bike looks perfect for "adventure" touring. I would love the new XTZ 660 for touring.

Specboatteam 11 September 2013 14:47

I'd like to find a nice ZRX1200, I use to do the crotch rocket stuff, still like the styling, but I think the ZRX has nice lines, looks the old Kawasaki ELR ( Eddie Lawson Replica)