SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

1RiserSlip 11 October 2018 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdrver (Post 1058754250)

What is that red rocket? I can't make it out.

hawkdrver 11 October 2018 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip (Post 1058754709)
What is that red rocket? I can't make it out.

Oops - meant to caption that. It's a '97 Honda VFR 750. Fantastic bike, still runs like new. Probably getting close to the last ride of the season. Amazing how well motorcycles age when they're locked in the garage 6 months a year :biggrin:

Headhunter1965 11 October 2018 14:15

Love that old VFR Hawkdriver. I'm on my 4th one. Currently riding a Red 1999 800 with 94K miles on the clock. Totally stock and still runs great.

hawkdrver 11 October 2018 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 (Post 1058754729)
Love that old VFR Hawkdriver. I'm on my 4th one. Currently riding a Red 1999 800 with 94K miles on the clock. Totally stock and still runs great.

That is dedication right there. While I was still on AD I had just a motorcycle, no car, and I still wouldn't be giving you a run for your money mileage wise.

The VFR is the best bike I've ever owned. They apparently last forever unless you run them into stuff. :biggrin:

Headhunter1965 11 October 2018 15:46

1. 2003 VFR 800 90K miles when sold.
2. 2010 VFR 1200 40K miles when sold.
3. 2000 VFR 800 21K miles when sold.
4. 1999 VFR 800 94K+ miles currently.

The Fat Guy 11 October 2018 22:54

My first cold (cool) weather ride. I was going to buy some heated gloves, but bought these instead for about 1/4 the price. Mechanix wear Winter Impact Gen 2. I rode with my regular light MW gloves and my hands were a bit chilly by the first fuel stop. I put these babies on and they were toasty the whole trip.

https://www.mechanix.com/uploads/sto...B_980x1224.jpg

Hoepoe 11 October 2018 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058754850)
My first cold (cool) weather ride. I was going to buy some heated gloves, but bought these instead for about 1/4 the price. Mechanix wear Winter Impact Gen 2. I rode with my regular light MW gloves and my hands were a bit chilly by the first fuel stop. I put these babies on and they were toasty the whole trip.

https://www.mechanix.com/uploads/sto...B_980x1224.jpg

Nice gloves!

bobmueller 12 October 2018 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058754850)
Mechanix wear Winter Impact Gen 2.

What's the dexterity like with those?

DaveP 12 October 2018 13:25

I'm curious with TFG's report as well.

Having gone through the same insulation v. manipulation balance with ice/mixed climbing gloves (and firmly coming down, albeit very slowly, to light-is-right and have-many-pairs), I went through my enormous box of options my first cold-wx riding season and ended up using these:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/14341508021

If really cold, a liner glove under them. I found better heat retention and equal to better dexterity than any of my bulky but high-end glove choices. The warmest ones were fatiguing to keep on the throttle and slow to engage brake and clutch, sometimes unacceptably so.

For the record, I ended up using Mechanix-type gloves with a minimal insulation and leather palms for most of my winter climbing and switching to heavy gloves or mitts at belays and lead-changes. Leading in blocks was always painful since I never got a warmup.

DaveP

Headhunter1965 12 October 2018 14:19

I had a set of Firstgear Heated gloves a while back. They were excellent for heat but they did lack a bit of ease of dexterity. I've still got the heated jacket and it's amazing. I'll probably use it a bit now that the temps have finally dropped a bit in Tennessee.

Colonel Flagg 12 October 2018 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 (Post 1058754744)
1. 2003 VFR 800 90K miles when sold.
2. 2010 VFR 1200 40K miles when sold.
3. 2000 VFR 800 21K miles when sold.
4. 1999 VFR 800 94K+ miles currently.

That’s a whole lotta VFR/Interceptor Miles.

Nearly a quarter million.

Great bikes.

Too bad Honda doesn’t take a page out of Volvo’s playbook from the 60’s-70’s-80’s where they advertised P1800 owners going over 1 million miles.

The Fat Guy 12 October 2018 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmueller (Post 1058754951)
What's the dexterity like with those?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 1058754964)
I'm curious with TFG's report as well.

Having gone through the same insulation v. manipulation balance with ice/mixed climbing gloves (and firmly coming down, albeit very slowly, to light-is-right and have-many-pairs), I went through my enormous box of options my first cold-wx riding season and ended up using these:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/14341508021

If really cold, a liner glove under them. I found better heat retention and equal to better dexterity than any of my bulky but high-end glove choices. The warmest ones were fatiguing to keep on the throttle and slow to engage brake and clutch, sometimes unacceptably so.

For the record, I ended up using Mechanix-type gloves with a minimal insulation and leather palms for most of my winter climbing and switching to heavy gloves or mitts at belays and lead-changes. Leading in blocks was always painful since I never got a warmup.

DaveP

As you might guess, it is a bit degraded over regular thin MW gloves. Having cruise control helps with that, though. After the second ride with them, I was pretty comfortable. No issues with reaching the controls etc, especially since my hands weren't numb.

SF_BHT 13 October 2018 21:49

3 Attachment(s)
Been Dressing up my bike a bit.
It is now ready for longer trips.
Attachment 41148
Attachment 41149
Attachment 41150

1RiserSlip 13 October 2018 21:56

^^^^ Nice!

CPTAUSRET 13 October 2018 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip (Post 1058755245)
^^^^ Nice!

Yup, what he said.

The Fat Guy 14 October 2018 13:21

I have a few of those SF Crests. Trying to decide where to put them. How is the adhesive on them? Or did you attach them some other way?

SF_BHT 14 October 2018 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058755368)
I have a few of those SF Crests. Trying to decide where to put them. How is the adhesive on them? Or did you attach them some other way?

It seams to work quite well. I plan on checking them often to see how they fair over the winter and summer heat here. If it starts to fail I will remove and attach via GOOP. It takes a day to cure but will not come off until you want it to.

Where did you get yours?

Mine came from here : https://www.automedals.com/

Flag and stand came from here: https://www.thepropad.com/
They have all kinds of good quality flags and the stands are great quality ones.

The Fat Guy 14 October 2018 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF_BHT (Post 1058755411)
It seams to work quite well. I plan on checking them often to see how they fair over the winter and summer heat here. If it starts to fail I will remove and attach via GOOP. It takes a day to cure but will not come off until you want it to.

Where did you get yours?

Mine came from here : https://www.automedals.com/

Flag and stand came from here: https://www.thepropad.com/
They have all kinds of good quality flags and the stands are great quality ones.

I got them from someone on a closed SF facebook page. I am thinking on the tip of the front and rear fenders??????

HALO badge and no CDSB? What fresh hell is this?

CAP MARINE 14 October 2018 20:43

Military-graphics.com

SF_BHT 14 October 2018 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058755434)
I got them from someone on a closed SF facebook page. I am thinking on the tip of the front and rear fenders??????

HALO badge and no CDSB? What fresh hell is this?

Contact them... they may add them to their inventory. I was looking for the Pathfinder badge for a friend and suggested he also call. If they get some interest they may add them.

Let me know if they are game.....

1RiserSlip 14 October 2018 22:50

I've lost my 1987 Defensive Driving Course card for my Motorcycle endorsement on my license.

Shit.

SF_BHT 14 October 2018 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip (Post 1058755460)
I've lost my 1987 Defensive Driving Course card for my Motorcycle endorsement on my license.

Shit.

Still have mine from 1976.:eek:

It is amazing what silly shit you have tucked away..:rolleyes:

SF_BHT 15 October 2018 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058755434)
I got them from someone on a closed SF facebook page. I am thinking on the tip of the front and rear fenders??????

HALO badge and no CDSB? What fresh hell is this?

They have the halo badge but not the halo JM or the CDSB.... they said they may be doing them in the future. Hit them up as they said they need enough interest to make a run.

Headhunter1965 15 October 2018 10:50

Those badges are very cool. Need to find a REMF sticker for my VFR.....LOL

1RiserSlip 19 October 2018 19:19

I just thought this was too cool not to post. Harley rider thinks he's on a Sportbike.
https://youtu.be/BFzhc3i0PRY

Stretch 20 October 2018 09:50

Nice recovery around 49”

greenpants45 20 October 2018 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stretch (Post 1058756720)
Nice recovery around 49”

likely grounded the lower exhaust pipe and took some load off the rear tire. I've done that on the kickstand of my bonneville when I got it leaned over a little too far.

Stretch 20 October 2018 14:30

It was obvious to me, and I don’t ride, that rider pushed the limitations of himself and the bike and was able to ride away.

SF_BHT 20 October 2018 21:16

2 Attachment(s)
Weather broke finally and today was a great day to hit the mountains. Took a back trail up the Sandia Mtns the Fall views were great
Attachment 41221

Then headed north to Madrid. Had a great meal and headed out for another 75 miles of back roads and back home. Great day to relax.
Attachment 41222

The Fat Guy 20 October 2018 21:35

I put in about 150 miles today, went to a CVMA meeting and two of the members were married after the meeting. AND My military medals came today, haven't opened them yet. Pix to come.

CAP MARINE 20 October 2018 23:19

Rode my Scout 60. Rode with Fed agent friend.
CVMA Meeting Sunday (10-1)

Glebo 21 October 2018 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF_BHT (Post 1058756809)
Weather broke finally and today was a great day to hit the mountains. Took a back trail up the Sandia Mtns the Fall views were great
Attachment 41221

Then headed north to Madrid. Had a great meal and headed out for another 75 miles of back roads and back home. Great day to relax.
Attachment 41222

Did ya have some of that smokin' hot chili during the chili festival??? MMM Marisa Tomei's chili...mmmmm

Awesome movie. Get a kick out of it every time we see it :biggrin:

Ole crusty bastard 21 October 2018 05:45

SF BHT, next time you are in Madrid, stop at the 'Hollar' restaurant. Tell them that Mike and Kathy said Hi. They were our next door neighbors for many years. He will still over charge you.:smile:

Strange group of 'artists' live there. They have to truck their water in as the coal has contaminated the ability to drink it.

Cool roads to ride.

SF_BHT 21 October 2018 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glebo (Post 1058756837)
Did ya have some of that smokin' hot chili during the chili festival??? MMM Marisa Tomei's chili...mmmmm

Awesome movie. Get a kick out of it every time we see it :biggrin:

Have had several hot chili’s here. :biggrin:

OCB. Will do on the next trip. That run is nice and relaxing.

1RiserSlip 30 October 2018 09:15

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like Harley will have some new offerings in the adventure/sportbike market in 2020. Here's one prototype I've seen.

Headhunter1965 30 October 2018 20:17

^^ Looks like a Ducati Diavel.

1RiserSlip 31 October 2018 07:05

I went for a nice ride yesterday on some winding country roads a couple of trails.
Beautiful Indian Summer day. Native American Summer, whatevers correct now.

It was 70° a and sunny. Today is supposed to be even nicer. I hope to get some pics and post up. The mountains are near peak color. Very cool.

Headhunter1965 31 October 2018 08:02

70 and sunny here today. You can bet your ass I'll be riding somewhere.

Maverick 31 October 2018 13:11

We've been having some great riding weather here...this last Saturday I burned through a tank and a half of gas.

1RiserSlip 1 November 2018 00:03

I cant get a phone pic loaded for some reason. I did 84 miles today. Was about 74°, sunny. I drove down in the New River Gorge and 2 other windy 2 or single lane roads. A little grave.

Fun day! Saw lots of bikes out.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved