SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

CV 13 December 2018 12:16

Cold weather gear and just installed heated grips. I'll take the girl moniker I guess. :cool:

KidA 13 December 2018 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058768302)
Cold weather gear and just installed heated grips. I'll take the girl moniker I guess. :cool:

I'm half kidding, but I don't enjoy riding in the cold just for the sake of it, by the time I'm bundled up and shit I could have been halfway there in the car. Plus all that extra crap takes away from the control and feel of the machine to me.

Now when I get back west I may change my mind a bit since it can go from 30 degrees at 6 am to 80 degrees at noon and if you want to get in a long ride it matters, but even then 30 degrees and sun at 6000' is warm as fuck.

For short rides in 30 degrees a jacket, gloves, jeans, scarf and a head thing under my helmet has always worked...

My coldest ride was DC to Cincinnati on a 1973 RD 350 2-stroke wearing a Davida half helmet, a leather jacket, jeans, and SOTB's favorite boots. I don't think it broke 55 degrees and it rained the entire time once I was on I-68 in MD (so another 9 fucking hours). I slept in a barn once and under an overpass once. 55 degrees at 75 mp in the rain is fucking cold.

CV 13 December 2018 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058768304)
My coldest ride was DC to Cincinnati on a 1973 RD 350 2-stroke wearing a Davida half helmet, a leather jacket, jeans, and SOTB's favorite boots.

That's pretty bad-ass. Tiny-ass thumper long-distance can't be too comfortable.

KidA 13 December 2018 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058768322)
That's pretty bad-ass. Tiny-ass thumper long-distance can't be too comfortable.

Well technically thumpers are 4 strokes ;)

I ran out of gas once because there's no fuel gauge and had to push it a mile. And I ran out of 2 stroke oil in the oil reservoir and soft seized once. And I missed last call at the bar where I was meeting friends by 10 minutes but someone snuck me out a beer anyway and I met a rando Cincinnati girl and made out with her for a couple hours but didn't do any humping because my wiener was shrivelled up and wouldn't play nice.

But it does make for a nice story! :biggrin:

Headhunter1965 13 December 2018 14:11

Those RD's were badass. At least the seat was halfway comfy eh?

Maverick 16 December 2018 17:20

For anyone looking for a leather jacket, Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing has a jacket for a steal right now! I've got a vest from this company, and it's great. No issues. This thing is selling for $40 right now + shipping. You can find the same jacket on Amazon Prime for $260.

LINK TO JACKET

SF_BHT 16 December 2018 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058768792)
For anyone looking for a leather jacket, Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing has a jacket for a steal right now! I've got a vest from this company, and it's great. No issues. This thing is selling for $40 right now + shipping. You can find the same jacket on Amazon Prime for $260.

LINK TO JACKET

They have good products. They run sales quite often like this. The only thing I can say is they are a little slow at processing and shipping. As long as you are not in a hurry they are good.

Flatbedder 23 December 2018 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058768302)

I've ridden well over a few hundred thousand miles on a dozen various street bikes [in just about every clime and place] in the lower 48 states the past few decades. Never wore any heated gear nor added or had heated grips etc.

A few years ago I purchased my first BMW - with factory heated grips.

I've been a believer in both ever since.

Durable 28 December 2018 10:45

Been riding for a while and was always interested in diesel powered motorcycles. Never owned one. This machine came to my attention today bacon, (grease), powered. I think I'll stick with my 2014 Valkyrie for now.
Link:
https://uncrate.com/hormel-black-lab...ed-motorcycle/
V/R
Bob

Headhunter1965 1 January 2019 19:19

New Yearís Day and it was 60 degrees. WTF? Did a 110 mile loop over the Cherohala to The Dragon and then home. Not a soul on the roads and didnít see a cop all day. EPIC!

1RiserSlip 1 January 2019 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 (Post 1058772018)
New Yearís Day and it was 60 degrees. WTF? Did a 110 mile loop over the Cherohala to The Dragon and then home. Not a soul on the roads and didnít see a cop all day. EPIC!

I was within 5į of taking her out a couple days ago. Now the weather's gonna get shitty again.

Glebo 1 January 2019 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 (Post 1058772018)

Well, color me VERY FRIGGIN JEALOUS... Very unseasonably warm here also (Hope Mills NC)

I did get out a bit...but not on the awesome roads you were able to (dick :biggrin:), however I mean that respectfully. Ride on and enjoy

Headhunter1965 4 January 2019 11:59

65 and sunny this Sunday. Itís on!

CAP MARINE 4 January 2019 21:48

Hope to get on my DH Chief Indian. Need to ride to Okc to drop off at dealer,get accessories on it

hawkdrver 4 January 2019 22:16

1 Attachment(s)
Wife texted this to me a couple of days ago. About 20 degrees up here at the time, just had some significant melting and the roads were snow and ice free-ish.

There is another guy up here who looks to be in his 70's that rides an Indian with a sidecar in all weather no matter what. I was at the counter at a fastener store one day when I heard what sounded like his bike, and I was like, no way. Turned around and he was walking in the door. It was about 20 below.

I'm not worthy :biggrin:

Dark Helmet 30 January 2019 00:05

1 Attachment(s)
I was at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show this past weekend and almost bought one of these for The Fat Guy.

The Fat Guy 30 January 2019 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058778425)
I was at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show this past weekend and almost bought one of these for The Fat Guy.

That would have been bad ass. I have some of the SF medallions we posted about earlier that I need to put on my bike. That would have sealed the deal.

CW3SF 30 January 2019 21:19

Quote:

New guy here. Where can I find those covers?

I have Ď16 Harley Low Rider. That would look great on there.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c89dd1df3.jpeg

1RiserSlip 31 January 2019 09:28

I looked at my bike yesterday. I think it had a frozen tear coming from the headlight. I covered it back up. Hang in there little buddy.

13F/COLT 31 January 2019 13:30

Quote:

Another Idea is the challenge coin holder this company makes. I have one on my horn cover and looks great. When the coin I have did not fit properly, I emailed him with my issue and he called me to talk about a solution. Looks great on my bike!

https://www.motordog69.com/challenge-coin-mounts/new-best-selling-coin-mounts.html

Dark Helmet 31 January 2019 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW3SF (Post 1058778605)
New guy here. Where can I find those covers?]

This is the company that was at the show that I referenced above selling the SF crest derby cover.

CW3SF 31 January 2019 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058778702)
This is the company that was at the show that I referenced above selling the SF crest derby cover.

Awesome. Thanks for the link.

gymrat8541 1 February 2019 11:13

Moved Up

1 Attachment(s)
I traded in my Softail Slim S for a 17 Street Glide. Already progressed to a Stage 2. It has the Vance & Hines OS 450 slip ons, power dual headers, Zippers Redshift 468 cam, and Arlen Ness air cleaner, stretched saddle bags and rear fender fascia from AdvanBlack. Ive rode it three times in January when it was about 45 degrees outside. Forgot to mention it has heated grips as well which is a game changer on chilly rides.

CW3SF 1 February 2019 11:21

That’s a nice SG. Congrats!

Dark Helmet 1 February 2019 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymrat8541 (Post 1058778870)
I traded in my Softail Slim S for a 17 Street Glide.

Good looking bike. I am betting you are going to be happy with it.

I also have a 2017 M8, but with a Stage 1; S&S pipes and a Screaming Eagle intake and tune. I am thinking about going with a Stage 4, but under advice of a good friend, he told me "ride it 3,000 miles and then assess". I am halfway there.....

13F/COLT 1 February 2019 14:44

1 Attachment(s)
gymrat8541, Congrats on the nice SG! Hope you get some good weather so you can ride soon.

I rode my SG to work this morning with the temp at 21 degrees just so I can trailer to the HD dealer tomorrow to get a brake fluid recall taken care of.

Since I have the bike with me today, I'm posting a photo of the challenge coin holder I mentioned looks like on my horn cover, motordog69 has a good product.

Colonel Flagg 1 February 2019 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058778951)

I also have a 2017 M8, but with a Stage 1; S&S pipes and a Screaming Eagle intake and tune. I am thinking about going with a Stage 4, but under advice of a good friend, he told me "ride it 3,000 miles and then assess". I am halfway there.....

Check PM

The Fat Guy 2 February 2019 02:03

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I traded in my Softail Slim S for a 17 Street Glide. Already progressed to a Stage 2. It has the Vance & Hines OS 450 slip ons, power dual headers, Zippers Redshift 468 cam, and Arlen Ness air cleaner, stretched saddle bags and rear fender fascia from AdvanBlack. Ive rode it three times in January when it was about 45 degrees outside. Forgot to mention it has heated grips as well which is a game changer on chilly rides.

The street glide special is a badass bike. Love mine, its so much more comfortable on longer rides than a soft tail. I put 100 miles on today.

1RiserSlip 2 February 2019 06:36

Quote:

That's a lot of bike. NICE!

gymrat8541 2 February 2019 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058778951)

From what I have seen and read, there are much better options than the HD tune and Stage 4 kit. Check out Fuel Moto's cam test that they performed on various after market cams. Much better selection than the HD choices and, in my opinion, will get more for the money spent based on available horse power and torque offerings. The HD stage 4, 107 to 114 tops out at roughly 111 torque at 5000 rpm while my 107 stage 2, Zippers 468 cam, gives me 116 torque at 4300 rpms. There is however an supposed issue with voiding your warranty but you would have to speak to your dealer about it. My dealer stated they would cover all the HD parts still just not the aftermarket cam. All the current HD Stage kits and tuner have to be EPA compliant based on a settlement agreement with the EPA. I would look at the after market cam before going Stage 4. You can always keep the cam in and still go stage 4 later on if you choose. Saves you some serious $$$.

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/h...shaft-Shootout

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harl...act-settlement

gymrat8541 2 February 2019 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip (Post 1058779136)
That's a lot of bike. NICE!

Thanks!

Sakura no hana 2 February 2019 12:51

Great thread. Several years ago I sold my Raven highway bike which was very comfortable for me and more than enough for long trips.

Since then I've checked out the Indian Chiefs and they are sweet, reasonably priced, and extremely road worthy. Just a thought if anyone else is looking to go up on two wheels again.

Dark Helmet 3 February 2019 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura no hana (Post 1058779217)
Since then I've checked out the Indian Chiefs and they are sweet, reasonably priced, and extremely road worthy. Just a thought if anyone else is looking to go up on two wheels again.

I bought a Road King this year after being off a bike for a couple decades. It was a toss-up between the HD RK and the Indian line....looked at the Dark Horse, the Springfield, and the Chief bagger.

It was a coin toss at the end of the day.

Dark Helmet 13 March 2019 16:49

1 Attachment(s)
I saw one of these last weekend and fell in love with it.

Indian Scout Bobber. Liquid cooled, 100 HP. Handsome machine, and even more impressive in person.

If I could fit on it I would have bought a second bike. I am just too long-legged for it, even with the forwards.....

leopardprey 13 March 2019 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058785773)
I saw one of these last weekend and fell in love with it.

Indian Scout Bobber. Liquid cooled, 100 HP. Handsome machine, and even more impressive in person.

If I could fit on it I would have bought a second bike. I am just too long-legged for it, even with the forwards.....

That is one good looking bike!

Dark Helmet 15 March 2019 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymrat8541 (Post 1058779198)
I would look at the after market cam before going Stage 4.

Thanks.

Tell me, did your sound at idle change at all? Get more lopey/uneven? I like lopey at idle....

Did you lost any acceleration "smoothness"? I only know V8 engines, and some V8 cams only really want to run wide open...and hate every other throttle setting.

The stock M8 is about 72 HP. Are your HP results similar to those shown at the link you provided?

Thoughts?

Seanmcd82 15 March 2019 21:03

2 Attachment(s)
I sold my Switchback for a new Harley Road King Special. The 'Special' is the matte paint finish and blackout trim instead of chrome, which here in Florida on the beach makes life a million times easier. Nice bike, smooth and has way less heat than the old motor. H6 LOVES the new seat and backrest. :cool:

Seanmcd82 15 March 2019 21:07

3 Attachment(s)
I ran out of room and had to put the old bike in storage unit. Finally finished a full frame up restoration, 1990 Ninja 750 H2. Built to resemble Scott Russell and Doug Chandlers 1990 Daytona 200 Bikes. H6 does NOT LOVE the seat on this bike, which is why it's in storage. Still I love this one, such a fun bike to restore.

Chandler's bike below mine.

Seanmcd82 15 March 2019 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058779122)
The street glide special is a badass bike. Love mine, its so much more comfortable on longer rides than a soft tail. I put 100 miles on today.

I so nearly got this bike instead, I was literally moments away from signing when I saw the Road King, I still have regret some days. Beautiful bike man.

Headhunter1965 15 March 2019 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanmcd82 (Post 1058786254)
I ran out of room and had to put the old bike in storage unit. Finally finished a full frame up restoration, 1990 Ninja 750 H2. Built to resemble Scott Russell and Doug Chandlers 1990 Daytona 200 Bikes. H6 does NOT LOVE the seat on this bike, which is why it's in storage. Still I love this one, such a fun bike to restore.

Chandler's bike below mine.

Hell Yeah!