SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

schibbs 8 February 2020 22:23

I use to maintain and clean some of the machines that made a lot of custom parts for S&S cycle and HD here just down the road in West Salem.

Dark Helmet 9 February 2020 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by schibbs (Post 1058841582)
I use to maintain and clean some of the machines that made a lot of custom parts for S&S cycle and HD here just down the road in West Salem.

My engine guy swears by them. He's been building HD engines for almost 40 years.

He was showing me the "tappet housings" that come factory from HD and was explaining to me why the HD factory ones in the M8 were crap. By seeing what he was saying and him showing the parts to me and how they are designed, I sort of "got it". Had he not physically shown me everything it would have been hard for me to comprehend.

He says S&S has been making custom engines and engine parts for so long that they are the gold standard of the aftermarket HD engine companies. He tells me that they aren't the cheapest out there, but they stand 100% behind everything they make. I am taking his word for it all.....

schibbs 9 February 2020 03:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058841593)
My engine guy swears by them. He's been building HD engines for almost 40 years.

He was showing me the "tappet housings" that come factory from HD and was explaining to me why the HD factory ones in the M8 were crap. By seeing what he was saying and him showing the parts to me and how they are designed, I sort of "got it". Had he not physically shown me everything it would have been hard for me to comprehend.

He says S&S has been making custom engines and engine parts for so long that they are the gold standard of the aftermarket HD engine companies. He tells me that they aren't the cheapest out there, but they stand 100% behind everything they make. I am taking his word for it all.....

Ya , it is pretty cool what these machinists can do with a block of metal. West Salem Tool and Die make many custom parts for Harley, SandS, Cummins, Toro, to name a few. It is just a small shop just down the road, about 25,000 sq.ft. 20 employees. Glad you "Bikers" can enjoy some down time on a good ride!

Dark Helmet 6 March 2020 20:38

1 Attachment(s)
She's done. Not dyno'd yet, but power should be up about 55% from stock. It's 39 degrees here and raining, so I won't get to ride her for a few more weeks. Stay tuned!

Combat Jump 6 March 2020 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058845674)
She's done.

Looking good!

Headhunter1965 8 March 2020 08:27

Quote:

She's done. Not dyno'd yet, but power should be up about 55% from stock. It's 39 degrees here and raining, so I won't get to ride her for a few more weeks. Stay tuned!

Bring her down here to East Tennessee this season.

Glebo 9 March 2020 08:10

Quote:

Nice, and you even put it on the bestest bike (Road King)..:p

Hopefully you get out what you expect...
I find it funny?, odd?, that Harley owners (I'm one of'em, but don't dump the $$$) put $$$$into their bikes to break 100hp, yet most other big brands have that easily done...

No disrespect to the HD'ers on here, but I always got a chuckle...

Maverick 24 March 2020 00:34

Well, I laid down my bike for the first time. They always say it's not a matter of "if" but "when." Wet conditions and found a slick patch while taking a moderately slow turn, and I just leaned the bike into it too far. I had a half-shell on and only ended up with a small cut around my eye and a very sore leg/hip area because I the bike came down on me. Other than that I'm good to go, and fortunately the bike came out nearly unscathed. I'll be back riding tomorrow haha.

CPTAUSRET 24 March 2020 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058850022)
Well, I laid down my bike for the first time. They always say it's not a matter of "if" but "when." Wet conditions and found a slick patch while taking a moderately slow turn, and I just leaned the bike into it too far. I had a half-shell on and only ended up with a small cut around my eye and a very sore leg/hip area because I the bike came down on me. Other than that I'm good to go, and fortunately the bike came out nearly unscathed. I'll be back riding tomorrow haha.

Stay safe out there.:smile:

wildman43 24 March 2020 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058850022)

the bike came out nearly unscathedThat great news.

Oh an that you are ok as well:biggrin:

Hoepoe 24 March 2020 02:18

1 Attachment(s)
With the lockdown in place, I can only but reminisce of the recent past and freedom associated.

This photo was taken a few weeks ago in central Israel. It's a 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone and i really enjoy owning, and riding it. Fantastic torque through a flat curve, 90 degree vtwin and shaft drive makes it a really fun and relaxing ride. Definitely not for adrenalin junkies, but certainly good for the soul!

Be safe out there!

schibbs 24 March 2020 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoepoe (Post 1058850029)
With the lockdown in place, I can only but reminisce of the recent past and freedom associated.

This photo was taken a few weeks ago in central Israel. It's a 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone and i really enjoy owning, and riding it. Fantastic torque through a flat curve, 90 degree vtwin and shaft drive makes it a really fun and relaxing ride. Definitely not for adrenalin junkies, but certainly good for the soul!

Be safe out there!

Cool ride , dude! It was either the LAPD or SP that rode MG's back in the late 70's when I was working the docks in LA harbor. Beautiful bikes!

Headhunter1965 24 March 2020 08:14

I went out on Sunday to do my usual loop over the Cherohala Skyway into NC, through Tail of the Dragon and then home. It was eerie......
Barely saw any humans at all.......No speed limits MF'ers....LOL Great Ride.

Dark Helmet 24 March 2020 10:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoepoe (Post 1058850029)
It's a 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

I don't know if/why I am suddenly drawn to Italian products....but I have been eye-fucking both Ducatis and Moto Guzzis lately. That V7 is one handsome bike. There is something....manly & primal about a MG....I saw an MG Audace the other day (only one I have ever seen) and it was gorgeous.

Mars 24 March 2020 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058850128)
I don't know if/why I am suddenly drawn to Italian products....but I have been eye-fucking both Ducatis and Moto Guzzis lately. That V7 is one handsome bike. There is something....manly & primal about a MG....I saw an MG Audace the other day (only one I have ever seen) and it was gorgeous.

That bike just looks mean!

Hoepoe 24 March 2020 13:14

Quote:

The Audace is incredible. I'll probably pick up a V85TT once things normalize.

Hoepoe 24 March 2020 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by schibbs (Post 1058850071)
Cool ride , dude! It was either the LAPD or SP that rode MG's back in the late 70's when I was working the docks in LA harbor. Beautiful bikes!

Yes, they were used in many countries, including Israel.

MG's have great character!

schibbs 24 March 2020 13:30

I remember they sound cool as shit too, unique as a HD is unique!

Colonel Flagg 24 March 2020 14:21

Quote:

I used to be the distributor for MG and Aprilia down our way back in the day.

MG are like the Italian Harley with their idiosyncrasies.

Shaft drive mean when you rev it in neutral it leans slightly.

We once put a set of custom pipes on a MG V11 and it sounded better than anything on the planet.

It sounded like a Ferrari F1 V12 and a P51D Mustang Merlin had a really angry bastard child.

MG bikes have soul, shame the company was run by retards.

CPTAUSRET 24 March 2020 14:25

Colonel Flagg:

I always enjoy your insights.

T

CV 24 March 2020 14:26

I really want to pick up a Moto Guzzi.

Dark Helmet 24 March 2020 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 1058850197)
It sounded like a Ferrari F1 V12 and a P51D Mustang Merlin had a really angry bastard child.

Paints a wonderful picture, that!

Hoepoe 24 March 2020 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 1058850197)
I used to be the distributor for MG and Aprilia down our way back in the day.

MG are like the Italian Harley with their idiosyncrasies.

Shaft drive mean when you rev it in neutral it leans slightly.

We once put a set of custom pipes on a MG V11 and it sounded better than anything on the planet.

MG bikes have soul, shame the company was run by retards.

Yup! I have some Mistral pipes on mine, really bring out the soul!

Hoepoe 24 March 2020 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058850201)
I really want to pick up a Moto Guzzi.

Excellent value and unique character.

Colonel Flagg 24 March 2020 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET (Post 1058850199)
Colonel Flagg:

I always enjoy your insights.

T

Right back at ya Mate!

Always enjoy reading your stories and those you share of your wife’s amazing exploits.

Stay Well!

Dark Helmet 26 March 2020 22:41

So I went and picked up the Harley and rode it for about 60 miles today. My guy pegged the rev limiter at 4,500 RPMs and told me to bring it back after 500 miles for an oil change.

It's snappy. A beast. It's like a different bike.

With the new cam and the cats out, it sounds mean and strong at idle. It's about twice as loud as stock.

The torque is impressive. It "wakes up" at 2,000 RPMs and just....goes.

Love it. LOVE IT.

Hoepoe 27 March 2020 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058851089)
So I went and picked up the Harley and rode it for about 60 miles today. My guy pegged the rev limiter at 4,500 RPMs and told me to bring it back after 500 miles for an oil change.

It's snappy. A beast. It's like a different bike.

With the new cam and the cats out, it sounds mean and strong at idle. It's about twice as loud as stock.

The torque is impressive. It "wakes up" at 2,000 RPMs and just....goes.

Love it. LOVE IT.

Sounds like freedom! Enjoy!