SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

Maverick 7 May 2014 09:27

SOTB, you can just store whatever you have at my place!

I'm looking at sportsters right now, but I'm afraid I'm too big for it. I mean, I suppose I'll have to jump on one and take it for a ride.

B 2/75 7 May 2014 09:56

If you're over 5'8" or so, you'll be disappointed in a Sporty, unless you intend it to be a little bar-hopper. They feel like a toy to me.

.02 Kopecks

SOTB 7 May 2014 09:59

^^^^Too big for one? Well, only if you stand it next to the giant bikes, because there was a time not too long past, when 1200cc was pretty big itself.

I want another 883, which I'll then work on myself -- may or may not increase the size of the motor. Black, big-assed tires front and back, change the rake a little (yes, I know the implications), low drag bars -- man I miss my Sporster....

twinfist 7 May 2014 10:00

I hear you buddy, but i just came to different conclusions.

Mind you, the first thing that needs to be said is "The best bike is the one you love to ride"

Now having said that, my 06 FLHTCI is running the 88 Cubic Inch and it is under powered. With me and my ol' lady on it, acceleration is slow. At Best. BTW- they switched to the new 103's last year or the year before as an answer to the Victory sporting the 106 in all it's models, stock.

Yes, the 103's are better, but I have done the research, and IMO the only thing the harley has going for it is heritage and "status symbol"

Now mind you i may be unfairly prejudiced because i friggin HATE harley fan boys that talk endless shit about any bike not made by HD.......

the only thing that really matters tho? get out and RIDE

see you on the road

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058390170)
-1...but respect your preference. Yours has the 93cu, i believe. I have done a few test rides on new models with the 103cu engine...they're not your father's HD engine. Have you driven the newer models?

My 08 Softail has all the power I need. If I'm cruising at 70mph in 6th gear I know I have to shift down to get a good punch and get out of a snag. But I didn't buy it to go 120mph and hit corners at a 45 angle. I bought it for the overall pleasure of the ride.

I doubt any HD rider expects to outrun a crotch rocket.

twinfist 7 May 2014 10:01

sporty's will rattle your spine man.

they are bar hoppers. Fun for about 50 miles, then you are ready to get off for a while.....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058390182)

I'm looking at sportsters right now, but I'm afraid I'm too big for it. I mean, I suppose I'll have to jump on one and take it for a ride.

SOTB 7 May 2014 10:04

BTW Mav, you know my height -- to each their own, but I never had a problem with the size of my Sportster....

MSRT1 7 May 2014 10:24

I went to the bike show up in Cleveland a few years ago...sat on every damn sport bike I could find and I felt like the bear on the tricycle at the circus.
Cruisers are the way to go for me....now to convince my wife.

Maverick 7 May 2014 10:33

Well, I'm looking at July at the earliest for this purchase. Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of my own bike sometime around then. I'll stop hijacking the thread and let you guys get back to posting pictures of your rides.

Ole crusty bastard 7 May 2014 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058390222)
I'll stop hijacking the thread...

It's not up to me to say if just talking about bikes is hijacking or not. If you can gain some knowledge that keeps you from making a mistake, I would think that that would be a good bi-product of the thread.

There are a lot of places that rent bikes (if you can show a bike endorsement). Ride a few so you know what feels good. I say rent because I don't know too many guys that would let you borrow theirs :smile:.

One last bit of advice, don't put someone on the back of your bike till you have several miles under your belt. My wife always enjoyed going for a ride, while I always felt a lot more in control riding by myself, even after over 50 years of riding. When you do ride double, tell your passenger not to help you lean.

leopardprey 7 May 2014 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Football Batt (Post 1058389084)

Looking good. Every time I see your bike pics, reminds me how I really want one of those BMW GS (1150 or 1200A) series bikes for a long trip one of these days. Soon.

strawdawg 7 May 2014 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinfist (Post 1058390199)

they are bar hoppers. Fun for about 50 miles, then you are ready to get off for a while.....

+1 Sold my 90 Electra Glide in 2010 and went right out and bought a 2010 Sporty 48. It reminded of my first Harley, a 1974 AMF Sporty. Rode 100+ miles one time. Took a day for my lower back to recover. The 2.2 tank is limiting on rides, but changing it out destroys the whole profile of the bike. I bought a LaRosa bag with a 20oz gas jug as a backup for anything more than a bar hop. I've only put a little over 3,000 miles on it. I still want to shift the damn thing on the right side!

SpudWrench 7 May 2014 12:08

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058390247)
Looking good. Every time I see your bike pics, reminds me how I really want one of those BMW GS (1150 or 1200A) series bikes for a long trip one of these days. Soon.

I love the GS bikes. I desperately want to take one of the mid-90s 1100's and turn it in to one of these:

Matchanu 7 May 2014 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058390182)

Get an FXR, they are out there and the best bike HD ever made.

Look for a 91 or later.

Sporties are cool, but you'll be a lot happier on an FXR.

Matchanu 7 May 2014 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinfist (Post 1058390199)

Guys take sporties to Dead Horse all the time, Round the World Doug took his across the Gobbi Desert and the Road of Bones to Madegon on his.

50 miles :rolleyes: maybe if you are a complete pussy.

twinfist 7 May 2014 15:34

i like my fairing and saddlebags and air shocks

KidA 7 May 2014 17:59

Maverick I'd look into a stripped down Honda Goldwing.

Get all the shit off of them and they aren't bad, they'll run forever, they are meant to cruise the shit out of highways and byways and you can piss HD fanbois off by its mere presence

http://www.motorcyclebc.com/cms/wp-c.../DCP033781.jpg

And they are well within your price range. You can pick one up for $2500 or so and have some money to take a long ass ride.

Colonel Flagg 7 May 2014 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 2/75 (Post 1058390192)
If you're over 5'8" or so, you'll be disappointed in a Sporty, unless you intend it to be a little bar-hopper. They feel like a toy to me.

.02 Kopecks

With forward controls it's easy for a big fella to fit on a Sporty.

Colonel Flagg 7 May 2014 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058390195)
^^^^Too big for one? Well, only if you stand it next to the giant bikes, because there was a time not too long past, when 1200cc was pretty big itself.

I want another 883, which I'll then work on myself -- may or may not increase the size of the motor. Black, big-assed tires front and back, change the rake a little (yes, I know the implications), low drag bars -- man I miss my Sporster....

Hell.....the 883(the smallest Harley made until the Street 500cc/750cc show up) is bigger than just about every single bike ever made in the 1960's.

Which is kinda funny....considering the 1960's was a really awesome decade for motorcycles.

Colonel Flagg 7 May 2014 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058390277)
Get an FXR, they are out there and the best bike HD ever made.

Look for a 91 or later.

Sporties are cool, but you'll be a lot happier on an FXR.

I would agree....the old FXRs are a classic bike and overall form factor wise, not much bigger than the Sporty

They are out there, but they are not coming up for sale like they used to.

If treated well an FXR could last forever as long as previous owners changed oil/filter and didn't shade tree mechanic it to death.

One consideration in buying a cheap FXR(if found), due to it's age) is factoring in the cost/time to swap out all the gaskets if they haven't already been done.

It could be a great father/son project if you've got a little mechanical knowledge or a friend that does.

Colonel Flagg 7 May 2014 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058390386)
Maverick I'd look into a stripped down Honda Goldwing.

Get all the shit off of them and they aren't bad, they'll run forever, they are meant to cruise the shit out of highways and byways and you can piss HD fanbois off by its mere presence

http://www.motorcyclebc.com/cms/wp-c.../DCP033781.jpg

And they are well within your price range. You can pick one up for $2500 or so and have some money to take a long ass ride.

As a rider with knowledge of the industry.....I gotta say I love those old 1st gen Goldwings before they went all baby boomer soft cock.

And Harley has nothing to worry about from Honda and other Jap clones, UNLESS Japan starts cranking out cool shit again like the original Goldwing, CBX, Suzuki waterbus, etc.

I reckon the coolest thing I've seen in a LONG time in motorcycling is Zero Motorcycles....expensive....but they are REALLY starting to work.

I would just about bet everyone here a beer that someone on this forum will pick up a cheap 2nd hand one by the end of the year.

In 2-3 years, cheap second hand Zeros will really make sense for some people I reckon.

Matchanu 8 May 2014 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 1058390423)
I would agree....the old FXRs are a classic bike and overall form factor wise, not much bigger than the Sporty

They are out there, but they are not coming up for sale like they used to.

If treated well an FXR could last forever as long as previous owners changed oil/filter and didn't shade tree mechanic it to death.

One consideration in buying a cheap FXR(if found), due to it's age) is factoring in the cost/time to swap out all the gaskets if they haven't already been done.

It could be a great father/son project if you've got a little mechanical knowledge or a friend that does.

They are going from 5-7K here, far less than a newer HD.

I have no complaints.

Mac 8 May 2014 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058390492)
They are going from 5-7K here, far less than a newer HD.

I have no complaints.

Have you riden one? How was it?

Matchanu 8 May 2014 00:36

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinfist (Post 1058390346)
i like my fairing and saddlebags and air shocks

:rolleyes:

Anyway,

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=rtwd

Matchanu 8 May 2014 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac (Post 1058390495)
Have you riden one? How was it?

I posted a picture of mine a few pages back.

It's really the best of all worlds for an MC, not perfect for ever task, but good for everything you need. A rare trait for an MC.

Last years ride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JDpknr31inQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bmbsqd 8 May 2014 00:54

I'm diggin' the helmet!

Matchanu 8 May 2014 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058390502)
I'm diggin' the helmet!

That's not me, that's Doug, he's fucking awesome.

Colonel Flagg 8 May 2014 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058390170)
-1...but respect your preference. Yours has the 93cu, i believe. I have done a few test rides on new models with the 103cu engine...they're not your father's HD engine. Have you driven the newer models?

My 08 Softail has all the power I need. If I'm cruising at 70mph in 6th gear I know I have to shift down to get a good punch and get out of a snag. But I didn't buy it to go 120mph and hit corners at a 45 angle. I bought it for the overall pleasure of the ride.

I doubt any HD rider expects to outrun a crotch rocket.

My guys just finished tuning a Fatbob with a 120CI motor we built and we upgraded the brakes and put Ohlins bits all around.

It goes like a beast.....

Semp 8 May 2014 06:19

'06 Ultra, 60,xxx on the clock. Started riding HDs in 1970 on a XLCH.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps8lleyskz.jpg

Maverick 8 May 2014 06:51

So what do you guys think of this one? 2005 HD FXD. It's within my price range, and I'm sure I can talk them down a little bit.

http://www.freedompowersportshurst.c...tail&id=625487

13F/COLT 8 May 2014 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058390528)
So what do you guys think of this one? 2005 HD FXD.

Not a bad looking bike and it is already broken in. The 2005 model with have fuel injection, so you wont have to worry about letting it warm up.The header does not have a catalytic converter in it, so you don't have to worry about it clogging up any of your power.
I say test ride it and if you like it and the price is right, go with it. That would be a great starter bike and already has some of the add-ons that you may be wanting to buy down the road.

13F/COLT 8 May 2014 07:21

2011 Street Glide, finally was able to ride to work. New little girl has taken up a lot of my riding time. Did not want to make the turn into the parking lot for work, wanted to just keep going and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1d35eaa5.jpg

KidA 8 May 2014 10:56

I rode a 1964 Vespa kitted out with a 225cc 2-stroke, 95 mph motor across the country from Portland, OR to Coney Island, NY.

All excuses for having the "right" bike to do anything on are invalidated.

That said, get something more comfortable, but if I catch you in the twisties on your Hog you will be passed on the inside corner by a faggy grocery getter for Italian ladies. And you will feel shame.

A Vespa also did Paris - Dakaar.

KidA 8 May 2014 11:00

1 Attachment(s)
Pic

Scratchy 8 May 2014 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058390589)
Pic

All I can see when I see that photo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDqPClQoFz4

13F/COLT 8 May 2014 11:48

I have learned over year years of reading this site that KidA is proud of his Vespa. If I had a souped up Vespa, I may ride it everywhere also. The only issue I would have would be my wife making fun of me or take it from me for herself.
I like all things fast, so KidA I'm not knocking your ride. After you pass me in the twisties I would stop when you where pulled over and ask about it. From what I have read you have put some time in it and made it a top shelf sleeper.

So I was curious and used the Search tool and found that there are at least 120 threads that mention Vespa in relation to KidA.
That is amazing.

KidA 8 May 2014 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13F/COLT (Post 1058390605)
I have learned over year years of reading this site that KidA is proud of his Vespa. If I had a souped up Vespa, I may ride it everywhere also. The only issue I would have would be my wife making fun of me or take it from me for herself.
I like all things fast, so KidA I'm not knocking your ride. After you pass me in the twisties I would stop when you where pulled over and ask about it. From what I have read you have put some time in it and made it a top shelf sleeper.

So I was curious and used the Search tool and found that there are at least 120 threads that mention Vespa in relation to KidA.
That is amazing.

it's ok, most of those are probably people making fun of me. :biggrin:

I've sold it and since moving to Montana have acquired two vintage three wheelers and one vintage 4 wheeler for the rib.

:biggrin:

Maverick 8 May 2014 12:53

This is all I can think of hahaha.

http://assets6.thrillist.com/v1/imag...orizontal_main

leopardprey 8 May 2014 13:49

KidA, you would like this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1zfuBgCUqY

Matchanu 8 May 2014 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058390528)
So what do you guys think of this one? 2005 HD FXD. It's within my price range, and I'm sure I can talk them down a little bit.

http://www.freedompowersportshurst.c...tail&id=625487

http://www.cycletrader.com/Harley--D...33&vrsn=hybrid
Trust me on this, that FXD is no comparison to an FXR.

Do not put a "wide glide" front end on it, don't buy one that has one installed. If someone has "modified" the frame in any way, run away from it.

Check your local craigslist ads. Bikes aren't selling very well right now, actually nothing is so it's a buyers market.

Matchanu 8 May 2014 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058390586)
I rode a 1964 Vespa kitted out with a 225cc 2-stroke, 95 mph motor across the country from Portland, OR to Coney Island, NY.

All excuses for having the "right" bike to do anything on are invalidated.

That said, get something more comfortable, but if I catch you in the twisties on your Hog you will be passed on the inside corner by a faggy grocery getter for Italian ladies. And you will feel shame.

A Vespa also did Paris - Dakaar.

And what are you riding now?

Oh yeah, that's right, nothing.