SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

leopardprey 21 May 2014 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058393865)
But last year, I deviated, and haven't looked back. I picked up this '14 Yamaha Super Tenere; and I love it. doesn't have the horsepower of my v-twins, but it has torque and long term rideability for days.

Very nice! Just read up on them. Looks like an all around performer, for long road trips and off pavements as well. And Yamaha quality.

Lou Steel 22 May 2014 00:17

I just put glossy black 16" apes on my 2012 RoadGlide Custom CVO. My best Harley yet (4th). Cali weather has been sunny/80F. Loving it! I'd like to share pics but the posting rules won't let me post attachments right now!! But my smiles are on :-)

Colonel Flagg 22 May 2014 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Steel (Post 1058394077)
I just put glossy black 16" apes on my 2012 RoadGlide Custom CVO. My best Harley yet (4th). Cali weather has been sunny/80F. Loving it! I'd like to share pics but the posting rules won't let me post attachments right now!! But my smiles are on :-)

Apes are starting to grow on me a bit.

I've ridden a bunch in the 16-18" range that seems to be a good balance of looks/ergonomics.

I know a couple guys who would fit in around here for several reasons who ride around with 28" apes…..and they can ride pretty hard and pretty well.

Too much knuckledragging for me.

bmbsqd 22 May 2014 02:43

I've never driven apes. I just can't get my head around them..they seem to have no practical use. But they do look cool.

JoeArmyNCO 22 May 2014 07:19

That big Yamaha is nice.

bmbsqd 24 May 2014 13:54

2 Attachment(s)
I've never seen a Boss Hoss bike in person. Badass! Snapped these on the St. Croix Trail in Prescott, MN. Too much bike for me!

Semp 24 May 2014 17:53

I first saw them a long time ago out in Sturgis. Those things are huge. I never rode one but 450+ hp has got to be fun!

Ole crusty bastard 24 May 2014 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058394574)
I've never seen a Boss Hoss bike in person. Badass! Snapped these on the St. Croix Trail in Prescott, MN. Too much bike for me!

It must be pretty slow to need NOS.:biggrin:;)

bmbsqd 24 May 2014 18:23

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Semp (Post 1058394593)
I first saw them a long time ago out in Sturgis. Those things are huge. I never rode one but 450+ hp has got to be fun!

These had the suicide hand shifters and nitrous. Radiators as big as a truck's! No way I'm getting my ass on one of these monsters...but very beautiful bikes. I'd be curious about the decibel level.

A few more pics...

SpudWrench 25 May 2014 00:04

With that flat and wide rear tire, I wonder how that beast even goes 'round corners.

I spent 10 minutes looking at a Ural Patrol (with sidecar) in a parking lot today, so what do I know about quality?:biggrin:

flyingk9 25 May 2014 02:24

I miss these days....

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29..._4036Large.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...4827Medium.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...P022805011.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...P022805023.jpg[/IMG]

TACFROG 25 May 2014 03:38

1 Attachment(s)
Some of our guys and their sleds...and our gun-truck. :smile: Mine is middle-left. '06 Road King Custom.

Floyd 25 May 2014 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semp (Post 1058394593)

The weight negates the HP
The owner of Boss Hoss talked a lot of shit a few years ago and even attempted to back it up but a stock Kaw ZX12 handed the Boss Hoss its ass multiple times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_GvCl8ei8

Lou Steel 31 May 2014 20:10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 1058394078)
Apes are starting to grow on me a bit.

I've ridden a bunch in the 16-18" range that seems to be a good balance of looks/ergonomics.

I know a couple guys who would fit in around here for several reasons who ride around with 28" apes…..and they can ride pretty hard and pretty well.

Too much knuckledragging for me.

I can't imagine 28's!!! 16's are easy and at 5'9" 18's would not be a problem either. Here's a couple pics of my 16's.

bmbsqd 31 May 2014 21:05

Not able to get to a HD shop to ask an overpaid mechanic so i figured i would come to the real experts! Does anyone else's front tire (or front end so to speak) wobble sometimes at slow speeds when only holding handlebars with just one hand? Mine does it occasionally but as soon as I grip the other side...it stops. Tire is good and properly inflatrd. Not sure if this a bad fork, tire, or some other mechanical issue, or just a typical fact of physics of a 700lb bike.

Lou Steel 31 May 2014 23:22

Never had that problem. Have had 4 Harley's and three were baggers. Check your air pressure. Check tire tread for "cupping" wear. Has fork fluid ever been changed? Check torque on axle nut. Check steering head adjustment. Last thought, have your spokes ever been checked? I've seen a lot of loose spoke issues. If you have spokes, they need to be checked. Any reputable shop should be able to diagnose and adjust. This sounds like an issue I wouldn't ignore. Get er done! There's only two wheels between u and the highway. Good luck.

bmbsqd 5 June 2014 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Steel (Post 1058396131)
Never had that problem. Have had 4 Harley's and three were baggers. Check your air pressure. Check tire tread for "cupping" wear. Has fork fluid ever been changed? Check torque on axle nut. Check steering head adjustment. Last thought, have your spokes ever been checked? I've seen a lot of loose spoke issues. If you have spokes, they need to be checked. Any reputable shop should be able to diagnose and adjust. This sounds like an issue I wouldn't ignore. Get er done! There's only two wheels between u and the highway. Good luck.

Turned out to be a faulty tire. Replaced and riding great!

CAP MARINE 5 June 2014 15:38

I picked up an 07 1200L,H-D
Low miles,put 10" apes,it has chrome package on engine,LED stop lamp,V&H straight pipe slip -ons
Goes with my Switchback too!!!

Matchanu 5 June 2014 15:58

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudWrench (Post 1058394631)

I spent 10 minutes looking at a Ural Patrol (with sidecar) in a parking lot today, so what do I know about quality?:biggrin:

In case someone doesn't know what you are talking about, here's a picture.

I love these things, but they are slow, underpowered, unreliable, overpriced.

I still want one.

37F5V 5 June 2014 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058397282)

I still want one.

I believe the sidecar wheel is powered as well... Unfortunately from everything I've read owning one far exceeds my mechanical aptitude.

JoeArmyNCO 5 June 2014 19:58

Knew a guy in Georgia with a Ural. He dumped tons of money into it. Many return trips to his house were on a flat bed......

bmbsqd 5 June 2014 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO (Post 1058397350)
Knew a guy in Georgia with a Ural. He dumped tons of money into it. Many return trips to his house were on a flat bed......

A service guy at a HD dealership told me they hate selling them but HD pushes them hard and gives fat bonuses for selling them.

When I drive to my daughters house I pass by a certain bar and almost every time there is a Ural parked out front with a fat old yellow Lab in the side car...staring at the bar entrance like he's waiting for his human to come back!

Yeah I don't care for them but I did like the old Enfields in Iraq w/sidecars. One of my buds over there had one.

KidA 6 June 2014 01:06

My wife's grandfather had a Dnepr (BMW clone) that is just sitting in the Motherland. Trying to figure out how to get it over here to me. Think it's a 1940s version.

Medic09 6 June 2014 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058397379)
I pass by a certain bar and almost every time there is a Ural parked out front with a fat old yellow Lab in the side car...staring at the bar entrance like he's waiting for his human to come back!

That right there is the point. I truly hate going on a road trip and leaving the pup behind. Estes Park (or anywhere else) would have been so much more fun with my pup hiking and fishing with me. AFAIK, Ural are the only guys selling affordable ready-to-ride side hack outfits. One of the motorcycle mags had a story that Ural is updating, so maybe they'll be caught up to 60's technology by now. I still want one.

Loadsmasher 6 June 2014 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic09 (Post 1058397402)
That right there is the point. I truly hate going on a road trip and leaving the pup behind. Estes Park (or anywhere else) would have been so much more fun with my pup hiking and fishing with me. AFAIK, Ural are the only guys selling affordable ready-to-ride side hack outfits. One of the motorcycle mags had a story that Ural is updating, so maybe they'll be caught up to 60's technology by now. I still want one.

Looks like you might be in the market for this.
http://auctionsamerica.com/images/lo...4_r0112_01.jpg

If you back track the link it leads to an auction for the Littlefield Collection of military vehicles. They put an estimate of 10-15K.

bmbsqd 6 June 2014 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loadsmasher (Post 1058397500)
Looks like you might be in the market for this.
http://auctionsamerica.com/images/lo...4_r0112_01.jpg

If you back track the link it leads to an auction for the Littlefield Collection of military vehicles. They put an estimate of 10-15K.

It must take a 2-acre field to turn that fucker to the right!

Are the side cars on these models detachable?

Loadsmasher 6 June 2014 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058397526)
It must take a 2-acre field to turn that fucker to the right!

Are the side cars on these models detachable?

http://auctionsamerica.com/images/lo...4_r0112_05.jpg

Looks like it would be pretty simple to remove. But then where do you mount the crew served?

KidA 6 June 2014 18:24

2 Attachment(s)
Do these count? 2012 Husqvarna TE310. It's basically a dirt bike with a plate. Bought it used with 234 miles on it. It has $2000 worth of upgrades to the motor, race mapping, etc. I haven't ridden a dirt bike since about 1990 and boy is there a lot to re-learn. I'm like a wee gay baby afraid of my shadow on the trails on this thing. Feet go down, not up. Standing, not sitting. The bike knows more than I do, etc.

I took these two pictures today after I got it. This area is literally 4 blocks and a 2 minute ride from my house. More trails than I could ride in a week's worth of riding, all open, no restrictions. In the second photo I live behind that hill in the center.

There are hundreds of miles of trails within a ten minute drive from me so I wanted something I could ride to them with instead of trucking to them. It's good on the street up to 65 mph or so but on the dirt this thing is absolute golden. Last time I rode dirt I had drum brakes. Brembos are the same brakes I had on the Ducati. They can be your friend but also can make you doo doo in your pants.

Verdict: I need RangerCharlie to come out here and show me what's up.

37F5V 6 June 2014 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058397623)
Do these count? 2012 Husqvarna TE310. It's basically a dirt bike with a plate. Bought it used with 234 miles on it. It has $2000 worth of upgrades to the motor, race mapping, etc. I haven't ridden a dirt bike since about 1990 and boy is there a lot to re-learn. I'm like a wee gay baby afraid of my shadow on the trails on this thing. Feet go down, not up. Standing, not sitting. The bike knows more than I do, etc.

I took these two pictures today after I got it. This area is literally 4 blocks and a 2 minute ride from my house. More trails than I could ride in a week's worth of riding, all open, no restrictions. In the second photo I live behind that hill in the center.

There are hundreds of miles of trails within a ten minute drive from me so I wanted something I could ride to them with instead of trucking to them. It's good on the street up to 65 mph or so but on the dirt this thing is absolute golden. Last time I rode dirt I had drum brakes. Brembos are the same brakes I had on the Ducati. They can be your friend but also can make you doo doo in your pants.

Nice... I want to pick up something small to use back on the firebreaks around the DZs. Having a 450lbs bike take a dirt nap in deep sand sucks... Really sucks.

KidA 6 June 2014 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37F5V (Post 1058397626)
Nice... I want to pick up something small to use back on the firebreaks around the DZs. Having a 450lbs bike take a dirt nap in deep sand sucks... Really sucks.

Dry this thing is 247lbs. Dealers still have some 13 and 14s in stock but stock they are a pig, which is how they met EPA restrictions to get a street plate. Have to do mods to them to open them up so they don't feel like a tractor and you can get into some dollars doing that. This one already had that done to it and it's way more power than I'm currently capable of.

Ole crusty bastard 6 June 2014 22:56

Quote:

2012 Husqvarna TE310. It's basically a dirt bike with a plate.

I like the size and weight. A street bike that is too heavy to get back on it's feet and a dirt bike that you can't carry, when you have to, has never made sense to me.

Glad you know enough about motors to get it back to 'screaming'.

leopardprey 7 June 2014 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058397282)

I still want one.

My Brother had the Chinese copy of this when he was posted in Beijing a couple of years ago. That motorbike with side car was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys! He would put two of his kids in the side car and zip around the neighborhood or down the street to the mini-markets. He was in tears when he left Beijing and had to sell it.

Colonel Flagg 19 June 2014 02:56

Here's something new and unexpected(launching within hours):

http://project.harley-davidson.com/

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...vewire-photos/

I think folks would have expected to see something like this from BMW or the Jap 4 before Harley.

Guy Mullins 19 June 2014 05:03

Pity I can't post pictures

I have a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750cc and a 1984 Honda CBX 1000cc six. I also have a badly shattered left leg due to the Honda landing on it.

Guy Mullins 19 June 2014 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFpj (Post 1058320269)

Great bike. I had a 69 T160 Tiger which I put through a Peugeot staton wagon in 1974 in Rhodesia. My mate bought a Daytona just like yours at the same time and we rode Southern Africa flat with them, dripping oil everywhere we went.

Ole crusty bastard 19 June 2014 07:36

1 Attachment(s)
Keeping the Trumpets together, this was mine for several years. My back and age influenced me to sell a few months ago.

Over 50 years of riding dirt and street and I never got hurt. Although a couple of burns from the pipes did leave nice round memories.

1979 Triumph 750 Bonneville Special. Sprocket size and braided Stainless brake lines are to only mods I ever made. Once the clutch broke free, it took one kick to start.

Attachment 27571

Hoepoe 19 June 2014 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Mullins (Post 1058400605)
I have a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750cc and a 1984 Honda CBX 1000cc six. I also have a badly shattered left leg due to the Honda landing on it.

Nice (the bikes, not the leg). Did you buy the Triumph in SA? I don't recall ever seeing a Triumph there (I worked at one of the largest accessories stores on Main Street in Town as a teen)

That CBX is a beast! I used to ride an '84 CB900, '84 XL 500, (my CB500 is on this thread here - http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...post1058321105 in Israel though) and a 1990 GSXR-1100 way back when. I fondly remember taking the GSXR on the Snowball Rally to Hartebeesport Dam (and eating at the Swiss Inn on Rustenburg Mountains) and almost all my other bikes on the Toy Run annually (from Edenvale Pick n' Pay).

Hoepoe 19 June 2014 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard (Post 1058400626)
Keeping the Trumpets together, this was mine for several years. My back and age influenced me to sell a few months ago.

Over 50 years of riding dirt and street and I never got hurt. Although a couple of burns from the pipes did leave nice round memories.

1979 Triumph 750 Bonneville Special. Sprocket size and braided Stainless brake lines are to only mods I ever made. Once the clutch broke free, it took one kick to start.

That bike is pure class and looks like new.

EightyDeuce 19 June 2014 08:25

Quote:

having lived in NY all my life except for my time in the Army, I'm so clueless about the west and the concept of having that kind of land to ride around on unrestricted. Beautiful area to be in, thanks for the pics. That looks like a fun bike to tool around on

Guy Mullins 19 June 2014 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoepoe (Post 1058400627)
Nice (the bikes, not the leg). Did you buy the Triumph in SA? I don't recall ever seeing a Triumph there (I worked at one of the largest accessories stores on Main Street in Town as a teen)

That CBX is a beast! I used to ride an '84 CB900, '84 XL 500, (my CB500 is on this thread here - http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...post1058321105 in Israel though) and a 1990 GSXR-1100 way back when. I fondly remember taking the GSXR on the Snowball Rally to Hartebeesport Dam (and eating at the Swiss Inn on Rustenburg Mountains) and almost all my other bikes on the Toy Run annually (from Edenvale Pick n' Pay).

When I saw the name Hoepoe, I suspected a Saffa. We probably rode in some of the runs you mention. I bought my 650 Bonnie from Rubes on Main St in 69 new for R650 and the 750 Bonnie at Jacks in about 80. There were tons of Triumphs in the old days together with Nortons, Matchless, AJS and a few Enfields. That was before the Honda 4 changed the world. The CBX was a beast and the brakes were not really up to the task, but I love it.