SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

Murph 9 September 2013 02:34

Juggling "Killer Elite" (ISA) by Michael Smith and Gary O'Neal's "American Warrior / Legendary Ranger"

AK49 14 September 2013 20:06

The Art of Intelligence by Henry A. Crumpton

Bearcat06 14 September 2013 20:48

Emily Gets Her Gun: ...But Obama Wants to Take Yours by Emily Miller. Former US State Employee under Powell and Rice now Senior Editorial Editor at Wash Times.

Rooprakoopa 17 September 2013 19:00

I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I haven't gotten too far into it but it's certainly a great read.

SOTB 17 September 2013 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooprakoopa
I haven't gotten too far into it but it's certainly a great read.

Ahhhh, Atlas Shrugged. If ever there were a book that needed a Cliff Notes version, that was it. I can't remember a book I purposely jumped whole sections just to get past the same fucking repetitive, preachy crap.

Great premise. Great general story. About a hundred pages too long....

Rooprakoopa 17 September 2013 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058323303)
Ahhhh, Atlas Shrugged. If ever there were a book that needed a Cliff Notes version, that was it. I can't remember a book I purposely jumped whole sections just to get past the same fucking repetitive, preachy crap.

Great premise. Great general story. About a hundred pages too long....

I agree...definitely a very long read but at the same time it's a great read for myself as this is the first book by Rand I've ever read. Even though it seems repetitive and preachy, I figure that eventually after reading the same crap over and over I'll have at least some of her philosophy and ideas burned into my brain.

osubuckeye762 17 September 2013 19:52

Juggling:

The Tender Soldier: A True Story of War and Sacrifice.
Its about a Human Terrain Team, but in reality the author spends most of the book describing the history HTT, training and why it was created.

And:

The Outlaw Josey Wales.

GirlwithaGlock 21 September 2013 22:55

Over the past few days:

The King's Gold and The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte. This is good light reading; Perez-Reverte's detective stories are usually revolve around art or history. It seems to me that Dan Brown has been copying his style quite a bit.

The Summing Up by W. Somerset Maugham - brilliantly witty musings.

Finally, I started reading Decision Points by GWB. I haven't been a fan of many of his actions, but at least he doesn't appear to be of the impression that his shit (pardon my language) smells like roses. His family's lifestory is fascinating to me too.

leopardprey 21 September 2013 23:51

BTW, Glockgirl, got the Forestry book you recommended and half way through - great read.

GirlwithaGlock 22 September 2013 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058324397)
BTW, Glockgirl, got the Forestry book you recommended and half way through - great read.

I am very happy that you liked it! Your approval is also a good sign for me that the author knew what he was talking about. Considering my ignorance of the subject, I would not have known otherwise.

AustinPT 25 September 2013 05:55

Brad Taylor's latest Pike Logan thriller, "Widow's Strike", and "90 minutes at Entebbe"

LGD 28 September 2013 07:43

"That's Not in My American History Book: A Compilation of Little-Known Events and Forgotten Heroes" by Thomas Ayers

Provides insight into the history I was taught in school and offers up another telling for consideration.

MixedLoad 28 September 2013 07:59

Finished a few books in the last two months:

The Wisdom of Psychopaths by Professor Kevin Dutton.

Really enjoyed it and there's a short chapter in which he spends time getting Andy McNabb of B20 fame tested.

The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey.

Great book until she turns into a whiney bitch and ruins everyone's life. She should have ended up as sharkbait.

A Dance With Dragons (aka 5th Game of Thrones book) by GRR Martin.

I liked it and it leaves plenty open. So I don't anticipate the story to end with the next book. There's enough for at least three more books right now.

Currently reading:

Split Second Persuasion by Professor Kevin Dutton.

So far it's quite intriguing and since I'm on the psychology kick right now it's perfect.

jrturbo 2 October 2013 09:49

Last month's reading:

Lone Survivor - Luttrell - Very good read.
America the Beautiful - Carson - Excellent read.
Hell's Angel - Barger - Meh....
The Disaster Diaries - Sheridan - Interesting.
Carrie & Salem's Lot - King - Early King, good, but predictable.

UncleTx 5 October 2013 15:12

Because of another thread, I started reading "The Last Stand of Fox Company", at the Chosin Reservoir.

GirlwithaGlock 10 October 2013 11:41

Currently reading Tangled Roots: The Appalachian Trail and American Environmental Politics by by Sarah Mittlefehldt.

Next in line is Kilcullen's Out of the Mountains: The Coming Age of the Urban Guerrilla.

just11b 11 October 2013 12:21

The Wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixedLoad (Post 1058326283)
Finished a few books in the last two months:

The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey.

Great book until she turns into a whiney bitch and ruins everyone's life. She should have ended up as sharkbait.

I just started The Wave from same author after you mentioned it in a different thread, and received The Devil's Teeth in the same order, but did not want to start them both. I gotta say thanks for the recommendation regarding The Wave, It is difficult to put down truthfully.

Bearcat06 11 October 2013 21:40

Went back and re-reading "Red Storm Rising" by Clancy.....

Rockville 13 October 2013 10:49

Influence without Boots on the Ground: Seaborne Crisis Response
at http://www.usnwc.edu/Publications/Na...rt-Papers.aspx

pdf at http://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment/6.../NP_39-Web.pdf

GPC 13 October 2013 11:19

Expatriates by James Wesley Rawles.

Takes place in OZ during a invasion by Indonesia.