SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

MizzouMP 16 February 2020 19:34

Seducing and Killing Nazis: Hannie, Truus and Freddie: Dutch Resistance Heroines of WWII by Sophie Poldermans

Hot Mess 17 February 2020 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCross (Post 1058842371)
Rich Dad Poor Dad. by Robert Kiyosaki.

That book will change the way you look at wealth :cool:

Hot Mess 17 February 2020 08:44

HBR Guide To Buying a Small Business, which was a recommendation from a member.

Next on deck is, The Obstacle is the Way.

J.P.26 17 February 2020 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCross (Post 1058842371)
Rich Dad Poor Dad. by Robert Kiyosaki.

He's got another one "4 Quadrants" as a type of sequel... I remember those books years later. Good reads

GirlwithaGlock 18 February 2020 22:16

Black Flags, Blue Waters: the Epic History of America’s Most Notorious Pirates by Eric Jay Dolin. It has been both informative and entertaining read so far.

GPC 18 February 2020 23:13

The American Rifleman Born of Armed Rebellion by Reid Henrichs.

My review here. https://www.sofmag.com/the-american-...med-rebellion/

MountainBum 19 February 2020 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polypro (Post 1058837961)
Finishing it up. Big.Brass.Balls. the lot of them.

Long time ago I read a book about the Selous Scouts (their AFO dudes). Bunch of badass mofos.

Mars 20 February 2020 13:46

Church of Spies: The Pope's Secret War Against Hitler by Mark Riebling.

Deals with Pope Pius XII's covert actions against Hitler and the Nazi's.

DSSRonin 21 February 2020 15:43

The Scientist and the Spy - true story of ChiComm industrial espionage to steal GMO'd corn seed. Author has 2 points;
1. The US is racially profiling Chinese people regarding industrial espionage.
2. The "1,000 Grains Of Sand" model of ChiComm espionage is not taking place as it would be ineffective.

To refute her positions, I submit to you Exhibit A - CSIS study showing 137 cases of ChiComm espionage vs. the US since 2007 (https://www.csis.org/programs/techno...ed-states-2000).

73% of the incidents happened from 2010- 2019.
36% of the incidents involved private Chinese citizens

DSSRonin 21 February 2020 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSSRonin (Post 1058843245)
....Exhibit A - CSIS study showing 137 cases of ChiComm espionage vs. the US since 2007

Solly - should read ...US since 2000.

Rockville 23 February 2020 11:17

DSSRonin, more stats at U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission www.uscc.gov
and
Congressional-Executive Commission on China www.cecc.gov

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSSRonin (Post 1058843245)
The Scientist and the Spy - true story of ChiComm industrial espionage to steal GMO'd corn seed. Author has 2 points;
1. The US is racially profiling Chinese people regarding industrial espionage.
2. The "1,000 Grains Of Sand" model of ChiComm espionage is not taking place as it would be ineffective.

To refute her positions, I submit to you Exhibit A - CSIS study showing 137 cases of ChiComm espionage vs. the US since 2007 (https://www.csis.org/programs/techno...ed-states-2000).

73% of the incidents happened from 2010- 2019.
36% of the incidents involved private Chinese citizens

Rockville 23 February 2020 11:21

the Selous Scouts founder, Ron Reid-Daly wrote this book Pamwe Chete.

also http://selousscouts.tripod.com/home_page.htm from a guy at Bragg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainBum (Post 1058842875)
Long time ago I read a book about the Selous Scouts (their AFO dudes). Bunch of badass mofos.

TennesseeDave 26 February 2020 14:18

Clive Cussler has passed away. I read a lot of his Dirk Pitt novels over the years.

RIP

jerome 23 March 2020 06:05

War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier

Great piece of American and British history.

My take away from the book:
- The Seven Years War in Europe and French and Indian War in the colonies cost England, in turn England raised the colonies taxes, then colonies revolt.
- Roberts sold land, east coast colonial gov'ts didn't pay so Rogers borrowed money to pay Rangers, went into dept.
- Rogers did the one thing George Washington couldn't, get a commission in the British Army.
- Apparently, all the Founding Fathers knew of Robert Rogers and all thought he was a necessary evil
- Rogers didn't own land or come from a certain family and was never accepted
- People really took advantage of Rogers, especially the East coast socialites
- General Gage Really, Really, Really hated Robert Rogers
- Rejected by George Washington as "the only man I was ever afraid of", Robert Rogers was instead arrested as a spy.
- After the French and Indian War Roberts was done with war and wanted to start a business. However, people kept on messing with him.
- The colonials kept screwing with Rogers until Rogers said fine I'll just fight for the British.
- Rogers was responsible for the capture of Nathan Hale, the "I only regret, that I have but one life to lose for my country." guy.
- All of Rogers subordinates in the French and Indian War fought for the Colonial Army in the revolution, while Rogers fought for the British Army. John Stark significant for the colonials at the battle of Bunker Hill

All of the above is off the top of my head. It's really quite sad what happened to Rogers. I got the feeling George Washington felt Rogers was serious image competition would have received more attention.

England and the colonies were not doing well in the beginning of the French and Indian War, the English didn't know how to fight that type of war.

I'm curious how we would be if Rogers hand not fought the French and Indian War, or if the French would have won.

MizzouMP 23 March 2020 09:37

The Scientist and the Spy: A True Story of China, the FBI, and Industrial Espionage by Mara Hvistendahl.

A case a friend of mine (Iowa County Deputy) was involved with.

It started out what was to believe a simple trespass by three ChiCom's on a farm in Iowa and ended up being a trade secrets of corporate giants Monsanto and DuPont Pioneer case.

Hot Mess 26 March 2020 20:36

Finished The Obstacle is the Way. Now reading Deep Work. Next on deck Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and then The One Thing.

GirlwithaGlock 27 March 2020 10:24

^Nice. You really are making the best out of this uncertain time.

Today I am "curbside picking up" The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz by Eric Larson.

The Mountains Sing by Nguyễn Phan Quế Mai is next.

Armitage12 27 March 2020 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Mess (Post 1058851057)
Finished The Obstacle is the Way. Now reading Deep Work. Next on deck Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and then The One Thing.

Marcus Aurelius may be best enjoyed in small sips, rather than setting out to drive through the whole book in one long reading session.

Hot Mess 27 March 2020 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage12 (Post 1058851191)
Marcus Aurelius may be best enjoyed in small sips, rather than setting out to drive through the whole book in one long reading session.

I believe it is about 180 pgs so I figured it would be simple short thoughts and thus easy to read, no?

TX teacher 27 March 2020 21:37

Operation Neptune by Craig Symonds. Instead of focusing only on the D-Day landings, it focuses on the buildup in England and the logistical nightmare it was. It also delves into the relationship between the US and UK and how strenuous it really was. Pretty good read so far.