SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Professional Development and Education (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276)
-   -   BS/BA in Criminal Justice or something else? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=130933)

Kip 15 October 2017 16:43

BS/BA in Criminal Justice or something else?

So I am 5 classes from getting my AS in criminal justice from a local state college and I'm starting to debate about what I should get my BS/BA in.

I intend to go to the police academy(assuming I pass the entry process) in April. I've heard from people at school that to climb the ranks at the sheriff's office or local police departments you pretty much have to have a bachelors degree or more(our sheriff has a masters and loves higher education).

The state college I'm getting my AS from has a BS in criminal justice, among a couple other programs. If you get your BS in criminal justice there, then you are guaranteed entry into the masters program in CJ at Florida State Univ. online.

So is a BS in CJ actually worth getting, or is it better to get a bachelors in something else so I would have something to fall back on if the LE route doesn't work out for some reason?

Thanks in advance. I've asked the opinions of some other people online, but I trust everyone here a lot more.

Doc P 15 October 2017 16:56

Any Bachelor's degree shows you were able to complete something so has value with most any major. For CJ I'd say if you do or will work in the field it can help career advancement down the road. If not in or won't be in CJ I say get a more general degree and take CJ electives.

B 2/75 15 October 2017 17:19

If you're going to be career law enforcement, particularly if you're going to be in a Sheriff's Office, YES, you need to complete your degree. CJ is as good as any to have. Take some management classes, too.

As far as career progression... it's all about if you're one of the Department Leadership's 'fair-haired golden boys.'

They will either like you, or not. If they don't take to you, then you'll never get promoted past Sergeant, and maybe not even that.

This after 17 years in Corrections.

Fu King Lawyer 15 October 2017 18:48

A bachelor's degree is highly desirable and opens up many more jobs - federal and state crime bureaus which won't accept you if you don't have one. Many also require law enforcement experience, and getting it now will ease of burden of trying to get the degree while you are working, especially shifts.

If you can do it, accounting is an exceptional degree to get you into LE. Crimes are usually the result of money, love, (the love of money), or drugs. If you have the training to follow the money, you will be worth your weight in gold.

Foreign language degrees rate right up there.

So much nowadays involves electronic law and evidence, anything related to IT helps.

Several agencies need LEO - pilots which is a great career niche.

If you go with any of the above, get a CJ minor which may help.

The Fat Guy 15 October 2017 19:04

I did the same thing (Many years ago). You have the core classes you need for CJ, you will now take more major classes for a double major, in essence. Consider A degree in accounting or computer science (Specialize in forensics or cyber security).

mdwest 16 October 2017 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer (Post 1058678887)
If you can do it, accounting is an exceptional degree to get you into LE. Crimes are usually the result of money, love, (the love of money), or drugs. If you have the training to follow the money, you will be worth your weight in gold.

So much nowadays involves electronic law and evidence, anything related to IT helps.

Strong advice...

I havent been a cop since the early 2000's... but... when I was still in uniform, guys that had strong IT skills were HIGHLY VALUED (I cant imagine that has changed much at all).. We also had a couple of detectives that had BBA's in accounting.. they were young fast trackers that went from patrol straight into the investigations unit in 3 years (unheard of at my old agency.. typically it was at least a 5 year wait.. several investigators had 10+ years before they got selected for a detectives shield..)..

MountainBum 16 October 2017 08:58

I second TFG's recommendation of computer science with a focus on cybersecurity.

In an environment where the goal is to find/fix/arrest bad guys, someone who understands how to exploit the technology those bad guys are using is an invaluable asset.

cj 16 October 2017 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer (Post 1058678887)
A bachelor's degree is highly desirable and opens up many more jobs - federal and state crime bureaus which won't accept you if you don't have one. Many also require law enforcement experience, and getting it now will ease of burden of trying to get the degree while you are working, especially shifts.

Several agencies need LEO - pilots which is a great career niche.

If you go with any of the above, get a CJ minor which may help.

Agreed. I have a BS and MA in Criminal Justice. Also taught it for 10 years at the university level. If I had a do over, I'd forgo the CJ degree. Instead, I'd go with a BS in forensic accounting and a minor in computer security. That's for undergraduate.

Now after the BS, and depending on career aspirations, seriously consider getting an MBA (private sector) or MPA (public sector), or JD (either). Secure those degree before you reach 40 and get your agency or company to help foot the bill. My best bit of advice is always think strategic (meaning for current AND future assignments or careers), act accordingly, and execute posthaste.

I didn't follow that last bit of advice for my last degree (JD), wish I had. :frown:

PocketKings 16 October 2017 11:09

I second getting an undergrad in Accounting or Computer science. Then an MBA or JD for graduate.

I really like the idea of a Crim J minor, but having the AS is almost the same idea.

That combination would make you very desirable in a lot of fields.

I got an undergrad in Admin J (hybrid pre-law/crim j) and never used it. I had to go back for my MBA, but had to take a bunch of undergrad Accounting and Finance classes before I started. I wish I'd have followed what most people here have laid out.

Mars 16 October 2017 11:41

Criminal Justice degrees in LE are a dime-a-dozen and aren't much better than general studies. Like the above have mentioned, computer science or accounting arenas are the best to invest in.

Criminal Justice was a good degree to get at one time, but it has become the "easy" degree and the majority of people -- in my area at least -- never work in that field at all. They get it because it's easy.

Invest in your future. Accounting plays a considerable part in many LE investigations. Also, computer forensics. We have computer forensics guys and forensic CPA's in our office. To come in with those in your background would be a huge plus for your career.

Whitebean54 16 October 2017 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agoge (Post 1058678983)
Criminal Justice degrees in LE are a dime-a-dozen and aren't much better than general studies. Like the above have mentioned, computer science or accounting arenas are the best to invest in.

Criminal Justice was a good degree to get at one time, but it has become the "easy" degree and the majority of people -- in my area at least -- never work in that field at all. They get it because it's easy.

Invest in your future. Accounting plays a considerable part in many LE investigations. Also, computer forensics. We have computer forensics guys and forensic CPA's in our office. To come in with those in your background would be a huge plus for your career.

This..... Also no one gives a shit about an English degree also:biggrin: ask me how I know.

IT and accounting dude.....

Kip 16 October 2017 20:14

Excellent advice all around. Appreciate it.

Re: accounting - I'm actually pretty awful at math in general, so I don't see an accounting degree in my future. I'm in the middle of a remedial math class right now and I'm struggling through it(though I did take a 5+ year break from math classes in general, so I'm really rusty). :redface:

Re: Computer science/forensics - It is of interest, but I don't know if it would hold my interest long enough to get through 60+ credits. I'll have to look into it more. Of the few computer courses I've taken, two were dirt easy(basically intro to MS programs), and the other was Intro to Programming, which I thought would interest me, but it didn't and I ended up dropping it.

Re: A foreign language - I've heard varying opinions with regards to degrees in Spanish and French and the like. Some people I've heard from have gotten degrees in the aforementioned languages, but didn't speak them, so they ended up not using their degree. Other people have had the opposite experience, where they got a degree in Spanish, coupled it with a semester or more studying abroad and are not fluent and working in Spain or Mexico, etc.

One of my cousins actually has a degree in Spanish and is working for a non-profit in TX where her knowing Spanish has been a major asset.

I have been wanting to learn a foreign language, though, and have been playing around with a few apps like DuoLingo.

Again, excellent advice.

BulletAim 16 October 2017 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058678866)
I've heard from people at school that to climb the ranks at the sheriff's office or local police departments you pretty much have to have a bachelors degree or more(our sheriff has a masters and loves higher education).

Depends on the agency. Some here require a bachelor's or higher or/with experience and some will hire someone with a high school diploma with you having a master's because they like the other guy better. So LE is an excellent career but only if you're right for it now a days. But education can mean everything here and nothing there. My advice, get a degree or two as a back up. A good friend of mine simply got an AS in paramedic. It looks great when applying to be a PO but is also an option to keep in the back pocket in case is ever needed.

osubuckeye762 17 October 2017 17:18

I am going to state what many others have said and forgo the CJ degree.

Do you plan to stay in local LE or do you have any career aspirations to go federal?

Many agencies are looking for Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Forensics, Accounting, International Affairs, and anything cyber related.

I got my CJ degree back when it was popular but for the last few years it has been useless. I enjoyed the classes but I wish I would have followed my gut (at the time) and got my BA in Sociology.

I stayed on and got my second degree in History and have gotten more calls for that than the other.

If I could do it over I would have went the International Affairs/Cultural Anthropology or Forensic Psych route.

I will say though that my good friend got his BA in CJ and then went and got his MA in either CJ or Public Administration and climbed up the career ladder in OH DOC.

Fu King Lawyer 17 October 2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058679123)

Re: A foreign language - I've heard varying opinions with regards to degrees in Spanish and French and the like. Some people I've heard from have gotten degrees in the aforementioned languages, but didn't speak them, so they ended up not using their degree. Other people have had the opposite experience, where they got a degree in Spanish, coupled it with a semester or more studying abroad and are not fluent and working in Spain or Mexico, etc.

One of my cousins actually has a degree in Spanish and is working for a non-profit in TX where her knowing Spanish has been a major asset.

I have been wanting to learn a foreign language, though, and have been playing around with a few apps like DuoLingo.

Again, excellent advice.

Kip,
Forgive me? When I mentioned foreign languages helping you get hired - I should have been clearer. Mea Culpa.

You are in Florida and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Spanish speaker. I doubt that a degree in Spanish (for that matter, French) would give you an advantage in the hiring process.

However, with the amount of Russian/Eastern European crime syndicates in Florida (particularly along the Eastern seaboard) or a language such as Chinese whether it be Cantonese or Mandarin, or a tourist language such as Japanese or Korean, you might very well get a heads up.

This is just the observation of an old man no longer involved, but when I was, if you had any of the above, I would be pressing to hire you over somebody who spoke a language that is not in demand due to the availability of speakers already in the agency.

v/r
fkl

BTW: Back in the late 70s/early 80s the Agency was trying to hire librarians. They had so much raw info and nobody that could catalogue and retrieve it. You never know what will be in demand, hell back then if you were good at narcotics, you had a whole career in front of you. Now, with the skill set you are good for a field test.

Macka 17 October 2017 21:21

I have a CJ degree and am a 20 year cop. The only reason, one and only, is I make 20% more than a cop who has no degree.

Study cyber something, accounting, a language, anything.

A CJ degree is one step above gender studies in usefulness IMHO.

Kip 17 October 2017 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 (Post 1058679259)
I am going to state what many others have said and forgo the CJ degree.

Do you plan to stay in local LE or do you have any career aspirations to go federal?

I have aspirations of going federal, but I figured staying local for 2 or 3 years would help as far as experience went.

Front_Sight_Bang 17 October 2017 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058679310)
I have aspirations of going federal, but I figured staying local for 2 or 3 years would help as far as experience went.

Well, ask yourself. Do I like doing fun shit, or do I like paper laden bureaucracy? :tongue:

Group9 18 October 2017 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang (Post 1058679315)
Well, ask yourself. Do I like doing fun shit, or do I like paper laden bureaucracy? :tongue:

Well, there is something to that, but there is also the fact that you don't put organized crime figures away for thirty years with a two page police report where half of the report is fill in the blanks and checked off boxes.

gymrat8541 18 October 2017 11:38

I have both an As and a BS in CJ. I know for me personally, I will never be a career LEO or stay in the role of an EP agent. I am working towards my MBA since it will provided me with the opportunity to move into corporate more easily should I choose to go that route. I believe in having a plan B and this is mine. After I finish my MBA I am going to look into son IT certifications in order to be a better, well rounded candidate for other opportunities.

Fu King Lawyer 18 October 2017 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058679310)

That is a great goal, and the benefits in federal law enforcement jobs can't be overstated. However, as others noted, be careful and research each job before you go after it. Some agencies are wonderful employment, others are paper monsters. There are fantastic federal GS-1811 jobs where you are an actual detective, chasing bad guys and doing good things. There are positions (one of which I recall was called something like high country ranger) where you were receiving federal pay, riding out on a horse and enforcing the law. Some of them came thru in-service while I was at FLETC and talked about bringing along fishing gear and living off the land while working. What a job! Best of luck.
fkl

Macka 18 October 2017 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer (Post 1058679485)
That is a great goal, and the benefits in federal law enforcement jobs can't be overstated. However, as others noted, be careful and research each job before you go after it. Some agencies are wonderful employment, others are paper monsters. There are fantastic federal GS-1811 jobs where you are an actual detective, chasing bad guys and doing good things. There are positions (one of which I recall was called something like high country ranger) where you were receiving federal pay, riding out on a horse and enforcing the law. Some of them came thru in-service while I was at FLETC and talked about bringing along fishing gear and living off the land while working. What a job! Best of luck.
fkl

There are boot beat cops in my department that have more day to day discretion than most FBI agents. I remembered being bewildered the first time I was out with the FBI and there was clear grounds to make an arrest and they had to call a AUSA to get the okay when most beat cops in my PD would have scooped the guy.

I'd really research any federal agency before signing on to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Fu King Lawyer 18 October 2017 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macka (Post 1058679493)
There are boot beat cops in my department that have more day to day discretion than most FBI agents. I remembered being bewildered the first time I was out with the FBI and there was clear grounds to make an arrest and they had to call a AUSA to get the okay when most beat cops in my PD would have scooped the guy.

I'd really research any federal agency before signing on to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

My final gig before retirement was with a state crime bureau that opted for no probable cause arrests unless someone was in danger of bodily harm. Many years ago I spent time as a prosecuting attorney dealing with all of the arrests you mention. No qualms with what you are saying, but there are reasons both policies are there. In fact, in the federal government, there are US Attorneys more willing to pursue cases than those in other Districts.

I concur that Kip needs to research any agency (in fact, local, county, state, or federal) before signing. I've served in both good and bad, good is a lot more enjoyable.

v/r
fkl

redneck 18 October 2017 22:45

http://mellenpress.com/book/The-Crim...d-States/6556/

One page blurb on the detective agencies of the military.

I'm guessing that you have a squeaky clean background. The background checks for really good federal jobs will end up finding stuff about you that you didn't even know.

Whitebean54 18 October 2017 23:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer (Post 1058679511)

I concur that Kip needs to research any agency (in fact, local, county, state, or federal) before signing. I've served in both good and bad, good is a lot more enjoyable.

v/r
fkl

This times a million..... My current gig is a paper producing nightmare but I can also go from playing the "meow game" with someone not wearing a seat belt to doing 140mph into an active shooter/manhunt.

My previous fed gig was laid back and paid better with oppurtunities to deploy to various countries. No take home vehicle,so when I was off I was actually off and didn't have to tell the neighbors shit about what I did. As opposed to waiting for the no/no go on a high risk warrant while trying to eat dinner after being awake 30 hours. Sleep and shift work.... Not a harmonies relationship.

I have a bullshit magnet parked in the driveway and every ass clown in my neighborhood wants me to fix a ticket or ask me about a crash they were in. Or tell you about all of the strange vehicles that passed through the neighborhood.

Pros and cons.... Look at ALL the pros and cons you can. Some pros and cons won't be visble to you or you won't fully understand them until you're on the other side of the table. I didn't realize JUST HOW MUCH FUCKING PAPERWORK GOES INTO A DAY. I was told that the AO I wanted to work was busier than any two other others combined. Fucking understatement. But it beats "laid back" anyday.

What are you looking to do longterm?
Fed 1811? Be careful who you tell that to. Some agencies will not fool with training you if you plan on rolling out.

Office view isnt too bad either.

Kip 19 October 2017 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 1058679523)
I'm guessing that you have a squeaky clean background. The background checks for really good federal jobs will end up finding stuff about you that you didn't even know.

Yea, my background is very, very clean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebean54 (Post 1058679525)
What are you looking to do longterm?
Fed 1811? Be careful who you tell that to. Some agencies will not fool with training you if you plan on rolling out.

Long-term, yes, Fed LE. I know a guy who works for US Customs(ICE now, IIRC) and has been there for 20+ years, and he is the one who originally turned me onto fed LE.

With regards to learning the pros/cons of my local LEAs, I'm actually just starting an internship with my local sheriff's office, of Hurricane Irma fame.

My local PD is the one that was involved in the sex scandal.

So, yea...

cg4139 20 October 2017 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058679666)
Yea, my background is very, very clean.

Long-term, yes, Fed LE. I know a guy who works for US Customs(ICE now, IIRC) and has been there for 20+ years, and he is the one who originally turned me onto fed LE.

With regards to learning the pros/cons of my local LEAs, I'm actually just starting an internship with my local sheriff's office, of Hurricane Irma fame.

My local PD is the one that was involved in the sex scandal.

So, yea...

Wanting to start with local to go FED-

I think you should look into State Agencies, as it is a bit of the best of both worlds. Do your time, and can try out for SWAT, CID, Aviation- you get to stay in one state as opposed to moving every few years.

In my agency, I've heard being a state guy on a FED detail is the way to go. This guy does none of the paperwork on either end, but gets to do all the chasing bad guys.

I am biased though, and have only worked for a State agency.

Gray Rhyno 20 October 2017 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058679666)

Your mileage may vary, and there are tons of FBI agents who don't fit this generalization...

The FBI has an "ideal" candidate in mind when they are selecting candidates for new agent training. That ideal candidate is a 32 YO disabled Asian veteran female with a graduate degree in law, science, or accounting, who speaks Russian, Farsi, or another exotic and needed language, with law enforcement experience, who can also run like the wind and do 100 pull ups. While there are minimum standards, the closer you can get to the ideal candidate, the better.

My bachelors and masters degrees are both in history, but just for fun I'm working on an AAS in police science right now. ;)

I recommend that you get a degree in law, accounting, or a hard science, and follow it up with real world experience.

Whitebean54 21 October 2017 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cg4139 (Post 1058679881)
Wanting to start with local to go FED-

I think you should look into State Agencies, as it is a bit of the best of both worlds. Do your time, and can try out for SWAT, CID, Aviation- you get to stay in one state as opposed to moving every few years.

In my agency, I've heard being a state guy on a FED detail is the way to go. This guy does none of the paperwork on either end, but gets to do all the chasing bad guys.

I am biased though, and have only worked for a State agency.

Kip,
Correct me if I'm wrong, you're in Florida? Florida Highway Patrol and Florida Bureau of Investigations would t be bad pathways.

Regarding what cg4139 said, some of the happiest guys are state dudes that are on a Fed Task Force. Like so happy it should be illegal :biggrin:

Fu King Lawyer 21 October 2017 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebean54 (Post 1058680022)
Kip,
Correct me if I'm wrong, you're in Florida? Florida Highway Patrol and Florida Bureau of Investigations would t be bad pathways.

said, some of the happiest guys are state dudes

I retired as an Inspector with "Florida Department of Law Enforcement" in 2016. I was in heaven from 2012 when I retired from DHS and FDLE asked if I would like to come back "home" until I hung it up in 2016. I was with them before 9/11 and they kept my position until I came home. They are a great place, and as close to family as one would find in the military.
But Kip will need 5 years law enforcement experience to be considered for a special agent positon.
fkl

Kip 21 October 2017 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebean54 (Post 1058680022)
Kip,

Regarding what cg4139 said, some of the happiest guys are state dudes that are on a Fed Task Force. Like so happy it should be illegal :biggrin:

Yes, I'm in Florida.

I don't know much about the Florida Department of Law Enforcement(beyond a dramatized TV show), but a recruiter for FHP spoke at my college not long ago. I'll have to look into both a bit more.

Kip 19 July 2018 18:00

Update

Attempted to get into the police academy at the college I go to.

Was denied because I showed deception during the poly for the question, "Are you withholding any information about your involvement with illegal drugs?".

Asked if I could retake the poly, was told it wouldn't matter because they still had the one that showed deception. Asked if there was an appeals process, was told it didn't matter because the selection center coordinator had spoken to the academy director before calling me and the director agreed with the selection center dude.

For the record, I've never done illegal drugs. Period.

So now I'm looking into other police academies in Florida, while taking a couple classes so I can knock out my AS.

Mars 19 July 2018 18:03

Was it an outside agency conducting the polygraph? Is there a need for officers within that department but a lack of funding that would allow you to be hired? Questions may seem odd, but there is a reason for asking them.

CAP MARINE 19 July 2018 18:29

AA-PS/BA-CJ

Kip 19 July 2018 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agoge (Post 1058737797)
Was it an outside agency conducting the polygraph? Is there a need for officers within that department but a lack of funding that would allow you to be hired? Questions may seem odd, but there is a reason for asking them.

It was an outside agency conducting the poly. They have been contracted by the college to conduct their polygraphs for entrance into the academy.

This academy isn't affiliated with a PD/SO, it is run by my local college. I was paying my own way through, but you were able to be sponsored by an agency if you went through that particular agency's hiring process.

At the end of this academy, you take the test to be certified by the state as a LEO. If you're not sponsored by an agency then it is up to you to find a job.

Dino0311 19 July 2018 20:57

Don't get a CJ degree unless it will mean money in your check. Get something you can use for a real job if law enforcement falls through.

I strongly second the recommendation for accounting or IT. I also suck at math and was an accounting major before becoming a cop. Accounting isn't math, exactly. It's actually a whole bunch of principles and the math is easy. Accounting "math" makes sense and is very easy to keep straight. It's not abstract at all.

GPC 20 July 2018 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058737796)

Was denied because I showed deception during the poly for the question, "Are you withholding any information about your involvement with illegal drugs?".

Asked if I could retake the poly, was told it wouldn't matter because they still had the one that showed deception. Asked if there was an appeals process, was told it didn't matter because the selection center coordinator had spoken to the academy director before calling me and the director agreed with the selection center dude.

So now I'm looking into other police academies in Florida, while taking a couple classes so I can knock out my AS.

You can always go corrections. If you can count you can be a CO. ;)

osubuckeye762 20 July 2018 07:46

Kip:

It sucks but don't let it derail you.
I was dinged twice for the same question and I have never done drugs in my life.

If I was in Florida I would definitely look at the State Agencies. I have always heard good things about FHP. The only major knock I have heard is regarding their pay.

If my mom and dad sell the house in Ohio and move to their place in Florida full time, I will be heading south soon after since my whole family will be there. I will definitely be looking at FHP, Ocala, and FDLE.

Also another avenue is Probation and Parole. I interviewed with them a few months back and were impressed with what they had to offer. If you are picked up, you are required to go to a 13 week academy in Tallahassee.

Fu King Lawyer 20 July 2018 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip (Post 1058737796)

Kip,

A couple of suggestions -

Have you filed a Public Records Request (Chpt 119 F.S.) for a copy of the polygraph materials - with both the college/academy as well as with the contracting agency who performed the poly exam? A request for everything including the charts, audio/visual recordings, poly questions, statements, reports, test charts, any "scoring" done by the examiner, examiner's conclusions, notes, everything related to your exam? Normally, there is a quality control review of exams and any reviews can be requested. Don't forget that the examiner may have taken stuff back to his agency that he didn't provide to the school so one simple request to the school may not get you everything.

Once you have the materials, you might need to pay for an independent polygrapher to review what you find - but in doing so, you will get an idea of what you are up against. If you do get an independent reviewer to assess, you may find that your test was not correctly scored, or that with a few follow-up questions, the reviewer can retest you and remove any signs of deception. Look carefully and see if the examiner commented on any post exam admissions or confession.

Another step towards resolution is to download a copy of the Selection Center's Policy Letter. Compare what they are supposed to do and what they did. Did they do all of this by the provisions of the policy? Do you have any appeals that they haven't provided you?

Not all Florida academies require a polygraph and leave that step up to the hiring agency after graduation. So you may be able to get the training elsewhere in Florida. But leaving that polygraph out there uncontested/uncorrected will probably play hell with your eventual hiring. If you were fingerprinted during your application, that inquiry is already on file and any background investigator that does the job, will go back to the ORI on the inquiry and find out what happened.

PM me if you want to talk.

v/r
fkl

Sharky 20 July 2018 10:33

Polygraphs are such a load of bullshit, and anyone who has seen what's behind that particular curtain knows it. There is a very good reason that they are not admissible in court.