SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Executive Outcomes (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=78333)

Jong 3 June 2008 09:03

Executive Outcomes
 
Just got done reading a book by the founder of Executive Outcomes called "Executive Outcomes: Against All Odds" by Eeben Barlow. It was an incredible story and even if half of is true it is amazing. Definitely makes you wonder who in the world really wants Africa to be stable and prosperous continent.

GPC 4 June 2008 07:37

Where did you get it? I'd be interested in reading it.

Jong 4 June 2008 13:13

I bought it when I was in South Africa. I don't think it is available in the US but you can find it online in South Africa at http://www.exclusivebooks.com/

GPC 4 June 2008 16:21

Thanks checked Amazon no luck.Maybe Paladin Press will pick it up.

helles 27 June 2008 22:06

You can get a copy at half.com. IF you want to pay $171.00 for it. http://product.half.ebay.com/Executi...34134QQtgZinfo

GPC 28 June 2008 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by helles (Post 1016480)
You can get a copy at half.com. IF you want to pay $171.00 for it. http://product.half.ebay.com/Executi...34134QQtgZinfo

No :eek:I'm sure it become available in the future.$171 little rich for my blood.Thanks for the link.

Blackjack7 29 June 2008 05:59

There is another good book that involves EO in Africa. It's called "Operation Certain Death". I don't remember the author. The story is supposedly a true account of EO assisting with air ops and fire support for a Britsh SAS and SBS rescue of a British Army unit being held hostage by the West Side Boys in Sierra Leone in the early 90's during the civil war. It's a long book, but a real page turner.

Dino0311 29 June 2008 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackjack7 (Post 1016852)
There is another good book that involves EO in Africa. It's called "Operation Certain Death". I don't remember the author. The story is supposedly a true account of EO assisting with air ops and fire support for a Britsh SAS and SBS rescue of a British Army unit being held hostage by the West Side Boys in Sierra Leone in the early 90's during the civil war. It's a long book, but a real page turner.

Is that the one that had "imagined" dialogue and characters representing real people? It's either that one or another about the same events. I really didn't like it because of that factor. The author tried to jazz up something that didn't need it imo.

Blackjack7 29 June 2008 06:16

I don't remember anything about imagined dialogue, it was written as a non-fiction piece. I read it about 3 years ago. Good back stories on all the players and good historical groundwork on the conflict.

I just checked the Random House listing for it. They have it listed as Military History. The author is Damien Lewis (2004) The story takes place in 1999 not the early 90's, sorry about that.

Mayonaise 1 July 2008 16:11

I found it on http://www.alibris.com for $71.

archade 10 July 2009 20:51

http://eebenbarlowsmilitaryandsecuri....blogspot.com/

the blog of the author

GPC 15 February 2010 10:55

I enjoyed the book well written.Mr.Barlow was not afraid to take shots at the media or the South African goverment.
After the hard work EO did the UN undid it all.Learned a lot about Angola and conflicts in Africa.Was not surprised at the poser companies calling themselves EO.
Hopefully a US publisher will pick this book up.Good read IMHO.

Soutpiel 17 April 2018 05:50

If anyone is interested, Eben is bringing out a revised edition of the book, which can be pre-ordered here:
https://www.warbooks.co.za/products/...t=133840044035

(If this post is against any SOCNET rule please delete and I'll drop for 50)

Expatmedic 20 April 2018 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soutpiel (Post 1058718534)
If anyone is interested, Eben is bringing out a revised edition of the book, which can be pre-ordered here:
https://www.warbooks.co.za/products/...t=133840044035

(If this post is against any SOCNET rule please delete and I'll drop for 50)

How did the hand turn out?:smile:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved