SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

Football Batt 2 May 2014 14:14

I carry a spare and a tube of hair gel. I am good.

SpudWrench 2 May 2014 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69harley (Post 1058389057)

Whoa. Your bike deserves more than a passing glance.
USD fork, dual disks, chain conversion, JW headlamp...
Tell me more!

Matchanu 2 May 2014 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudWrench (Post 1058389124)
Whoa. Your bike deserves more than a passing glance.
USD fork, dual disks, chain conversion, JW headlamp...
Tell me more!

I thought you were going to mention the sweet wiring on the down tubes.:biggrin:

KidA 2 May 2014 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudWrench (Post 1058389124)
Whoa. Your bike deserves more than a passing glance.
USD fork, dual disks, chain conversion, JW headlamp...
Tell me more!

Concur. That's a nice looking bike. Very clean (apart from the mouse nest wiring in front of the frame - what's that for?)

KidA 2 May 2014 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058389126)
I thought you were going to mention the sweet wiring on the down tubes.:biggrin:

ha. Jinx.

SpudWrench 2 May 2014 15:46

It's obviously a work in progress.
I don't think I own anything cool that is more than 90% complete.

What's there already, is bad ass, however.

bugeater 3 May 2014 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBS (Post 1058388968)
No, haven't ridden one. Literally gave up street riding many years ago. But man that bike looks incredibly fun.

Dude, hit me up w a PM. Ride my '12 :)

bmbsqd 3 May 2014 22:18

Just bought an LG wireless Bluetooth stereo headset for use while riding... the new one that goes around the neck. Main thing i want is hands free phone capability while riding and music. Not impressed. Difficult to manipulate buttons w/gloves on. Not loud enough on the road. Also too many playlist issues on Google Play...half the songs get skipped due to shitty connection.

Person on other end can hear me very well at 70mph on interstate but ear buds allow too much noise in so hearing them is impossible.

Any recommendations for a unit with good volume/equalizer, good Bluetooth connection and compatible w/Droid? Looking for something I can use with Skid Lid not full face helmet.

Maverick 4 May 2014 06:38

I'm currently looking at purchasing my first bike, and I'm taking a look at Victory. What are your thoughts? Specifically I'm looking at this bike right here...the Victory Gunner which is new in 2015. At an asking price of 13k brand new, it's not TOO bad. This thing just looks sexy to me.

http://images.traderonline.com/img/5...mb_770x574.jpg
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/V...le&BAC-Oodle=&

RBS 4 May 2014 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugeater (Post 1058389365)
Dude, hit me up w a PM. Ride my '12 :)

Awesome offer, but too much like an old girlfriend asking me to meet her "for coffee". I promised my wife I was done with old girlfriends, and street riding. And a taste of either could be much too tempting. :biggrin:

SOTB 4 May 2014 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick
What are your thoughts?

Its a V-Twin, right? So here are my thougts on V-Twins -- why buy something that is essentially a replica of the only real V-Twin brand out there and then MAYBE be in a situation where it is difficult to customize later? Because with V-Twins it isn't about speed or handling -- LOL, its about customizing and pulling up to a restaurant super laid back (mostly because V-Twins usually suck at handling, and compared to the other options DO suck at speed).

So buy a HD and fix it into the sexy thing you want -- which as a V-Twin owner, you will be wanting to do about 6 months into ownership....

bmbsqd 4 May 2014 11:30

That is a nice bike but I agree that a HD is what may really want. If money is not an issue I would also look at a Big Dog. The S&S Titan engines are badass an I'm seeing more and more cruiser Big Dogs on the road lately (instead of choppers).

That one looks like a Street Bob knockoff... But yes, sexy.

Ole crusty bastard 4 May 2014 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058389394)
I'm currently looking at purchasing my first bike, and I'm taking a look at Victory. What are your thoughts? Specifically I'm looking at this bike right here...the Victory Gunner which is new in 2015. At an asking price of 13k brand new, it's not TOO bad. This thing just looks sexy to me.

http://images.traderonline.com/img/5...mb_770x574.jpg
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/V...le&BAC-Oodle=&


I agree with SOTB and Bombsquad, the Victory does look good, but only because it wants to look like a HD.

I'd go with a smaller bike if you haven't ridden before. Hoping on 700 pounds of something that wants to kill you before you are fully skilled might not be the best idea.

SpudWrench 4 May 2014 12:24

The Victory engine is light-years ahead of its H-D competitors.
That's all I'll say about that particular fact.
IMO, fit & finish, components and innovation, the Victorys beat H-D hands down.
H-D jumped on the innovation train about 15 years too late.
That gorgeous FXR 69harley posted above should have rolled out of Motor's own factory 20 years ago.
If I were in the market for an American power cruiser today, I'd have a Victory Hammer S in my garage.

It is a big first bike, have you tried the seating position in the Judge?

37F5V 4 May 2014 13:42

In addition to my triumph I also own a 2005 Victory 8-Ball with the older 92ci motor. Bullet proof and gorgeous bike with gobs of power. If you like it when you test ride, buy it and ride it like you stole it.

8654maine 4 May 2014 14:01

I'm keeping a real good eye on this thread.

Am looking for my first road bike.

Taser 4 May 2014 14:09

I got a 2013 Hammer 8-Ball, it rides real nice and sitting position was just a tad better to me than the Judge. Plus, I love the back tire on my hammer

bmbsqd 4 May 2014 15:12

Phat tires are cool.

RB 5 May 2014 00:29

2 Attachment(s)
'04 Fatboy, braided cables, Vance & Hines, Carlini 12" risers, Accutronix forward controls, loud and fast!!

Matchanu 5 May 2014 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058389367)
Just bought an LG wireless Bluetooth stereo headset for use while riding... the new one that goes around the neck. Main thing i want is hands free phone capability while riding and music. Not impressed. Difficult to manipulate buttons w/gloves on. Not loud enough on the road. Also too many playlist issues on Google Play...half the songs get skipped due to shitty connection.

Person on other end can hear me very well at 70mph on interstate but ear buds allow too much noise in so hearing them is impossible.

Any recommendations for a unit with good volume/equalizer, good Bluetooth connection and compatible w/Droid? Looking for something I can use with Skid Lid not full face helmet.



I'll say it, for fucks sake why?

That whole reaon I ride is to get away from telephones. I want to be completely out of contact for the time I'm riding.

I do listen to music when I ride, an IPod Shuffle with marshmellow earbuds and I get shit for that from my friends.

But to have the ability to have the wife call me and bitch about the cat litter not being cleaned out or that I didn't unload the dishwasher? Yeah, fuck that.

The whole point (to me) is to enjoy some time to yourself without unessesary distraction. On the long rides I leave my phone off when riding, turn it on as gas stops, text the wife where I am, maybe check on with a picture of the bike on FB, then turn it off again. Wife knows to text me with anything important but otherwise I'll call when I stop for the night.

I'd rather just use a SPOT tracker so I don't have to check in at all, but it's a small price to pay.

Matchanu 5 May 2014 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058389420)
Its a V-Twin, right? So here are my thougts on V-Twins -- why buy something that is essentially a replica of the only real V-Twin brand out there and then MAYBE be in a situation where it is difficult to customize later? Because with V-Twins it isn't about speed or handling -- LOL, its about customizing and pulling up to a restaurant super laid back (mostly because V-Twins usually suck at handling, and compared to the other options DO suck at speed).

So buy a HD and fix it into the sexy thing you want -- which as a V-Twin owner, you will be wanting to do about 6 months into ownership....


Although the Victory and the other HD clone type bikes (to include the Japanese HD knock offs) are probably better in many ways it's still a knock off. Ride all of them then ride an HD and you'll see why.

Bikes are more about character then performance for long time ownership. I've owned a lot of different bikes, different purposes, new and old. Some were pretty awesome, others sucked.

I had a 1970 BMW R75/5, by all accounts an excellent bike, nothing wrong with it at all, bored me to tears, sold it within 4 months.

HDs have character and an intoxicating low end torque. Definatly not the best handling bike, or breaking, nor the most powerful, it's heavy and will probably leak oil.

I had a 74 HD AMF sportster for a few years. I called it my "push bike", it kept breaking down and leaving me on the side of the highway, easy fixes, solid mount engine would rattle the electonic connections loose. The front brake didn't really work, the rear brake may as well been a wooden block. The foot controls were on the opposite sides. It's the bike I miss the most out of all of my bikes I've ever owned. No logical reason, that bike was just a shit ton of fun.

The 86 FXR I won now is just about the most perfect all around bike I've ever owned. Narrow glide front end, big twin engine, Eric Buell designed the frame so it was built for performance but it's still comfortable enough for long haul rides.

HD never really changed much of the design of their basic engine design, a push rod engine, technically way behind the power curve, but because the engine design is simple and works well, it's dead simple to work on and maintence is a breeze. Modern HDs (EVO on up) are very reliable.

Whatever you want to ride, just get out and ride. Make a rule for a long haul ride once a year. It's good for your soul.

EightyDeuce 5 May 2014 10:32

I've had three bikes. Started out on a Honda VTR 250 which was white with baby blue rims. Not the coolest bike but I was learning and didn't know much about "real" sport bikes yet.

Next up was a 1997 Yamaha 600R, pretty heavy, but was a big improvement in solving my need for speed problems plus the wife (pre-kids) was comfy on the back.

I wanted something more aggressive and sold the 600R for a 2003 Yamaha R6. I loved this bike, very quick and looked IMO like the coolest 600 you could buy. On a group ride to Lake Placid I had it leaned over pretty far in a turn and on the exit the lane width was covered in sand. Bike low sided, I broke my wrist and called the wife to tell her all was good. Rode home two days later with my arm tucked between me and the tank. I pulled into the driveway, jeans tore up and bloody from some scraped, helmet and fairings broke and dashed. Oh yeah, she was 8 months pregnant. Not a happy camper.

Fixed it back up, fairings fixed and new white paint job and I was back in the game. Took some heat to sell the bike because of having little ones and it eventually sold. Miss riding and have been thinking about picking something else up, maybe a street triple. Wife is against it but better to ask for forgiveness than permission right?

Nice bikes everyone.

Maverick 5 May 2014 10:41

I would like to own an HD. However I'm a huge tightwad with my money the Victory bikes looked like a good deal for the price. I'm trying to keep the price around 10k. We'll see what I can dig up.

KidA 5 May 2014 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudWrench (Post 1058389439)
The Victory engine is light-years ahead of its H-D competitors.
That's all I'll say about that particular fact.
IMO, fit & finish, components and innovation, the Victorys beat H-D hands down.
H-D jumped on the innovation train about 15 years too late.
That gorgeous FXR 69harley posted above should have rolled out of Motor's own factory 20 years ago.
If I were in the market for an American power cruiser today, I'd have a Victory Hammer S in my garage.

It is a big first bike, have you tried the seating position in the Judge?


I concur with this.

I also concur with Match and SOTB about the HD Brand and history.

If you are going to be disappointed and feel you have a smaller pee-pee because it isn't a HD then save your money and buy a Harley.

If you're going to just enjoy the ride, and be comfortable on the bike, get the Victory. I've ridden two and they are excellent bikes.

bmbsqd 5 May 2014 11:16

Bio Channel had a great docu on HD last night. I never knew Walter Davidson was not the original brother building the HD1. He came in much later and figured out their problem...they were still using bicycle frames and warping them. He resigned the frame. The story about the HDs buying back the company was cool.

tooslow 5 May 2014 11:43

And, yet, NO ONE has mentioned the new Indian Motorcycles.
I'm intrigued by them; do y'all know something about them that I should know?

bmbsqd 5 May 2014 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooslow (Post 1058389609)
And, yet, NO ONE has mentioned the new Indian Motorcycles.
I'm intrigued by them; do y'all know something about them that I should know?

The Indian cruisers and Vtwins are sharp but the ate also HD lookalikes... In price too!

SOTB 5 May 2014 13:23

Maverick -- if it is about price, then look around closely and buy used. Then fix up/customize as you wish.

No matter the route you go with an HD, used or new, don't change a fucking thing except oil and air filters for ONE SOLID YEAR. Then after you've ridden yours and seen lots of others, make your mods.

Trust me on this one....

Matchanu 5 May 2014 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058389634)
Maverick -- if it is about price, then look around closely and buy used. Then fix up/customize as you wish.

No matter the route you go with an HD, used or new, don't change a fucking thing except oil and air filters for ONE SOLID YEAR. Then after you've ridden yours and seen lots of others, make your mods.

Trust me on this one....

X2!!

Most of the "cool guy" mods you think are so rad now are going to look gaudy and stupid in a year.

Closer to stock the better in many regards.

bmbsqd 5 May 2014 14:25

^^x3...I'll also add that customizing a HD should only be done in a way that it can be undone without damaging the bike. But you will find that customization is more expensive than buying a used model already decked out. HD shops typically give 2 options.. Overpriced Kuryakyn gear or waaaaaaay overpriced HD gear. You may also void any remaining warranties even when using after market HD gear.

I mentioned it earlier as did SOTB and others, BUY USED! I was fortunate to find my 2008 anniversary edition softail but frankly I paid too much for it even though it had about $3K in HD bling and chrome added. So haggle like crazy if you buy from a dealership.

KidA 5 May 2014 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbsqd (Post 1058389659)
^^x3...I'll also add that customizing a HD should only be done in a way that it can be undone without damaging the bike .

Hmm, to me that isn't customizing, that's bolting on chrome pieces.

Customizing, to me, is re-engineering. Anyone can slap a credit card down and buy chrome.

bmbsqd 5 May 2014 14:43

Good point KidA.

Matchanu 5 May 2014 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058389661)
Hmm, to me that isn't customizing, that's bolting on chrome pieces.

Customizing, to me, is re-engineering. Anyone can slap a credit card down and buy chrome.

That's where you are wrong, customizing is bolting on shit, building up or re-building a bike is just that, re-engineering, cutting things off, welding stuff on, etc..

Semantics.

bmbsqd 5 May 2014 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058389666)
That's where you are wrong, customizing is bolting on shit, building up or re-building a bike is just that, re-engineering, cutting things off, welding stuff on, etc..

Semantics.

Damnit!!! Good point Match! :smile:

13F/COLT 5 May 2014 16:23

The last seven posts are all on point. When I bought my HD I was ready to make it mine with add-on's but did not have the funds. I am glad that I waited about six months until I started making changes, because I had a better idea of the direction I wanted to go. Most of the changes I have made have been subtle but other riders notice them when they start looking.
A lot of the mods you want to do to your bike can be done by you and not get raped by the dealer. If you do get a Harley buy a service manual and watch Youtube and you will be able do about anything they will charge you for.
Going back to the Victory idea, one of the guys that we work and ride with has an 8Ball and he is always looking at our bikes when we are parked. I have looked at his bike a few times and it looks like a good machine but when I start inspecting I find plastic and cast iron parts that remind me why I got rid of my Suzuki cruiser.
Buy whatever you can afford and enjoy it for now and get what you want after you decide if you like riding enough to drop the big coin.

bmbsqd 5 May 2014 17:56

I've added Kuryayken highway pegs but I do not have them bolted on as most would. I have them on the engine bars but pointed straight up so my legs don't slide off and I am not using my leg muscles to hold my feet on the engine bars. Also added a cell charger adapter and cell mount. I guess that is a small customization.

Also...iHeart radio is fucking awesome! Scrrw Google.

twinfist 7 May 2014 08:08

HD are under powered and totally over priced. Not to mention, Harley fan boys are like Star Wars nerds, insult thier icons and they are on you like a rabid weasle. If you care about the NAME buy a Harley

for QUALITY? buy japanese. The jap bikes are bullit proof, the engines are amazing, and the quality is top notch

Want to buy a quality AMERICAN bike? buy a Victory. Want something that was designed THIS century and not just another rehash of the same old design from 1940? buy a Victory

-i ride an 06 Electraglide right now, so i know of what I speak, it is under powered, and over priced, but there isnt a market yet for used victory's so I had to go with resale value

bmbsqd 7 May 2014 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinfist (Post 1058390164)
HD are under powered and totally over priced. Not to mention, Harley fan boys are like Star Wars nerds, insult thier icons and they are on you like a rabid weasle. If you care about the NAME buy a Harley

for QUALITY? buy japanese. The jap bikes are bullit proof, the engines are amazing, and the quality is top notch

Want to buy a quality AMERICAN bike? buy a Victory. Want something that was designed THIS century and not just another rehash of the same old design from 1940? buy a Victory

-i ride an 06 Electraglide right now, so i know of what I speak, it is under powered, and over priced, but there isnt a market yet for used victory's so I had to go with resale value

-1...but respect your preference. Yours has the 93cu, i believe. I have done a few test rides on new models with the 103cu engine...they're not your father's HD engine. Have you driven the newer models?

My 08 Softail has all the power I need. If I'm cruising at 70mph in 6th gear I know I have to shift down to get a good punch and get out of a snag. But I didn't buy it to go 120mph and hit corners at a 45 angle. I bought it for the overall pleasure of the ride.

I doubt any HD rider expects to outrun a crotch rocket.

Maverick 7 May 2014 09:12

I'm definitely not looking to outrun anyone. Merely looking to enjoy the ride. The maximum cruising speed I need to be able to be at might be 80mph. That's if I decide to take the turnpike, and if I want to keep up with traffic.

I just got the approval to buy a bike, however cost is definitely going to be an issue. My credit is shit. Nothing crazy at all but enough to where I'm going to want to pay cash for the bike. So I'm looking at around 5-7k.

SOTB 7 May 2014 09:18

^^^^So buy a sportster. I owned one, its the bike I miss most. Or if you've a lead on a solid used FXR or Softail that you know has been taken care of, there you go. Or wait. No reason to rush into something, especially when it comes to customizable bikes....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved