SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Mass casualty event, van versus peds, Toronto (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=132234)

quixotic 23 April 2018 14:44

Mass casualty event, van versus peds, Toronto

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...and-finch.html

This is still unfolding. Occam's razor says it could just be a bad Toronto driver, but witnesses speaking to several media outlets are stating that the rental van involved was moving at high speed on the sidewalk and seemed to be operating deliberately to strike peds.

2 x dead confirmed by Toronto Police. Offender in custody.

B 2/75 23 April 2018 15:06

Toronto has a pretty high (8%) population of hadji imports.

Accordingly, I'd expect this to be an act of terror.

Maverick 23 April 2018 16:13

Looks intentional, but I wouldn't consider this a mass casualty event.

Latest reports I'm seeing are 9 dead. The video I watched of the driver being apprehended shows the driver pointing something at the LEO. The driver drops the object and is quickly arrested. This of course leads me to believe the incident was deliberate.

Canada is investigating, we'll see what they find.

Maverick 23 April 2018 16:15

For anyone who cares to watch the video...

LINK TO TWITTER POST

GPC 23 April 2018 16:20

That sucks, always had fun when I was in Toronto.

CAVmedic 23 April 2018 17:42

9 dead, mum press and police... It would be a shock if it's not jihad jihadi...

Top0321 23 April 2018 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058720187)
Looks intentional, but I wouldn't consider this a mass casualty event.

9 KIA's and 14 WIA's, I'm guessing the medics on scene would disagree.

Attila175 23 April 2018 18:04

I don't think I would be surprised at anything. Jihadi, vegan crazy chick, neo-nazi that is tired of Toronto's change, 1st Nation militant or Leaf's fan that saw people wearing black and gold.

quixotic 23 April 2018 18:07

overstretched resources

In many of the news feeds you can see marked radio cars from at least three jurisdictions; Toronto city police, Ontario Provincial Police (who sent all their highway patrol units off of the 401 highway that runs close to the scene, to assist) and York Regional Police, who are the suburban agency about 11km northeast of the scene. I suspect that the Yorkies were there because they were passing by en route to court or something, and decided to jump on the call when they heard the `hot shot' all-channels be broadcast.
You can also see EMS ambos from at least Toronto city and York Region medics, plus the big city ambo-buses. It's wonderful that all these resources came together to handle this; such an incident would have quickly stretched, to breaking point, the resources available to Toronto alone. There have been news items lately about how there are often only 30 police cars on the road in all of the Toronto city area, and how EMS is routinely on `condition red', meaning there is not a single ambo available in the entire city, regardless of what type of emergency is occurring. Thank God Fire performs significant pre-hospital trauma care now, because EMS just can't cope.

CAVmedic 23 April 2018 18:12

Thanks for the local update. Prayers for the dead and wounded, and for Toronto.

Mingo Kane 23 April 2018 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058720188)
For anyone who cares to watch the video...

LINK TO TWITTER POST

I didn't watch the vid but read the comments....damn if every news agency in the world asked that guy permission to use and run the video...prayers out to those affected.

Armageddon 24 April 2018 04:00

Why is it that NOBODY ask for White Van Control or a White Van Ban???

Fubar 24 April 2018 06:52

Amazing that an event like this would have received pages of our thoughts by now, only a few years ago. We've become numb to the Muslim horde's actions against us - in our lands, not just in their lands.

Maverick 24 April 2018 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubar (Post 1058720331)
Amazing that an event like this would have received pages of our thoughts by now, only a few years ago. We've become numb to the Muslim horde's actions against us - in our lands, not just in their lands.

:rolleyes:

https://success.coredial.com/hubfs/i...=1522353807091

KidA 24 April 2018 08:23

Quote:

We've become numb to the Muslim horde's actions against us - in our lands, not just in their lands.

Or maybe we've become too simplistic and assume everything is attributable to the Muslim horde...

He's apparently Armenian and raised Christian...Armenia is home to one of the world's oldest branches of Christianity and its people are something like 95% Christian with almost 0 representation of Islam in their culture...

Fubar 24 April 2018 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058720363)
Or maybe we've become too simplistic and assume everything is attributable to the Muslim horde...

He's apparently Armenian and raised Christian...Armenia is home to one of the world's oldest branches of Christianity and its people are something like 95% Christian with almost 0 representation of Islam in their culture...

You are indeed right. I did not even check on the details. Shame on me....

Still - not much is being said about this one - which proves my main point - we've become numb to this violence.

KidA 24 April 2018 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubar (Post 1058720383)

Still - not much is being said about this one - which proves my main point - we've become numb to this violence.

I think it's more about the fact that it's not a white guy with a gun. That's who we are told we can discuss and criticize, anything else is "complex"

EchoFiveMike 24 April 2018 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058720363)

Meh, still a fucking foreigner who obviously doesn't belong. The durka-durka's are only the most blatantly ostentatious of the unassimilated, leeching foreign hordes. S/F...Ken M

Polypro 24 April 2018 10:06

Quote:

Because it's rarer than non-jihadi's murdering people by, like, a crap ton. Terr'ism ain't a problem in North America.

Maverick 24 April 2018 10:22

Has this guy been confirmed to be Armenian? His last name is Armenian, but I don't think anyone has come out and stated his lineage or religious affiliations yet.