SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   MarSoc (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=274)
-   -   1 Raider Bn to East Coast (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=134786)

EchoFiveMike 15 July 2019 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by WGH0922 (Post 1058804931)
MARSOC has deployed an O-5/Lt Col SOTF HQ. Twice that I know of.

Either way, moving 1 MRB to Lejune is absolutelyfuckingstupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West coast guys are just crying over missed lib-o opportunities:tongue:

Get used to nothing but C section scars on flabby skin and shitty $10 beer at the Dirtwood. S/F....Ken M

bc_ 23 July 2019 10:40

I can't find the source after all these years, but as reported in the local paper at the time, MCRD San Diego exists because USMC maintains separate facilities for readiness purposes. If an east coast storm causes evacuations/halts in normal activity at MCRD PI, the west coast can pick up the slack.

If that's the case, wouldn't the same apply to MARSOC?
Or am I comparing apples to oranges?

Not sure what else was in the works during the MCRD San Diego decision. MCRD and NTC next door were made into historic sites so the buildings couldn't be razed. The airport wanted/wants that land badly.

WGH0922 23 July 2019 14:27

MCRD has been used for male boot camp since 1923 for recruits west of the Mississippi, it's not going anywhere. For storms that have effected Parris Island, the recruits were moved to MCLB Albany and continued training there. Without getting into specifics, there is space at the 1st MRB complex to accommodate the CG and his staff if they had to execute the COOP.

bc_ 24 July 2019 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by WGH0922 (Post 1058806581)
your answer

Thanks-

WGH0922 3 December 2019 23:31

This move to CLNC is not as far fetched as I once thought. Word on the street is that this may happen by 2021.:mad:

Devildoc 5 December 2019 12:41

The further out I am the fewer people I know and less in the know I am, there is still one or two around Lejeune with whom I am still in touch. They make it sound like it's a done deal, and they (and Jville) are anticipating a pretty decent boom.

Gray Rhyno 5 December 2019 21:55

With the compound being in Stone Bay, I imagine they're more likely to drive up the cost of housing in Topsail and Holly Ridge.

Plus, that puts them closer to Wilmington for Friday nights... ;)

Devildoc 6 December 2019 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058829221)
With the compound being in Stone Bay, I imagine they're more likely to drive up the cost of housing in Topsail and Holly Ridge.

Plus, that puts them closer to Wilmington for Friday nights... ;)

Yes...it's almost already one big strip mall and shopping center from 17 over to Topsail and Snead's ferry, and Holly Springs is pretty close to it.

Gray Rhyno 6 December 2019 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devildoc (Post 1058829333)
Yes...it's almost already one big strip mall and shopping center from 17 over to Topsail and Snead's ferry, and Holly Springs is pretty close to it.

Used be almost nobody from the front gate of New River down to Wilmington. Amazing how much it has changed over the decades.

Devildoc 7 December 2019 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058829407)
Used be almost nobody from the front gate of New River down to Wilmington. Amazing how much it has changed over the decades.

When have been there last? It has changed so much.

Gray Rhyno 7 December 2019 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devildoc (Post 1058829642)
When have been there last? It has changed so much.

2016? I was running a class in the Port of Wilmington and drove back to Virginia on US-17. First time I was there was mid-1970s.

Devildoc 7 December 2019 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058829648)
2016? I was running a class in the Port of Wilmington and drove back to Virginia on US-17. First time I was there was mid-1970s.

Ok, that's pretty recent. I grew up there (dad retired from the Marines, we lived in Tarawa Terrace), and we had family there, too, as well as me being stationed there. I had been gone a while and drove through and saw the new bypass, new construction on base, the new main gate. And the massive strip mall from New River to Holly Ridge to Wilmington. It's crazy.

Silverbullet 7 December 2019 19:10

Stay on topic please.

Remington Raider 8 December 2019 00:59

OTOH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet (Post 1058829657)
Stay on topic please.

SB, some of us have been included in the CLGL water issue. While I understand your policing of this board, I request some latitude for for those whose have signed on the bottom line.

R/S RR

WGH0922 8 December 2019 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington Raider (Post 1058829730)
SB, some of us have been included in the CLGL water issue. While I understand your policing of this board, I request some latitude for for those whose have signed on the bottom line.

R/S RR

Everything you need to know for CLNC water issues right here:
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...=lejeune+water

and here:
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...=lejeune+water

Silverbullet 8 December 2019 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington Raider (Post 1058829730)
SB, some of us have been included in the CLGL water issue. While I understand your policing of this board, I request some latitude for for those whose have signed on the bottom line.

R/S RR

No.

This is the MarSoc area, not the water issue area. Take it to the lounge.

Xdeth 12 February 2020 19:54

It's happening, wowza. That's going to put some serious pressure on the lesser developed southeastern areas around Lejeune like, Sneads Ferry, Hampstead, Holly Ridge, points north like Maple Hill. I would rather get ahead of this if I were any of them and get something NOW or you going to end up in the most cheaply built box with a roof and issued grass 1ea that can be slapped together.

WGH0922 12 February 2020 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xdeth (Post 1058842103)
It's happening, wowza. That's going to put some serious pressure on the lesser developed southeastern areas around Lejeune like, Sneads Ferry, Hampstead, Holly Ridge, points north like Maple Hill. I would rather get ahead of this if I were any of them and get something NOW or you going to end up in the most cheaply built box with a roof and issued grass 1ea that can be slapped together.

I just read an article on a SOCNET banned pub. Sad. My concern isn't so much on prices for housing but on operational readiness to PACOM/SOCPAC. I wont get into details but I did put in a lot of hard work and mileage that seems all for naught by the "Good Idea Fairy" at MARSOC/SOCOM/HQMC. I'll await 2022 and tap into the guys that are still there to get the pulse on readiness, unit cohesion, family readiness etc...............I don't agree with it, but it won't be the first time I've been wrong.

Xdeth 12 February 2020 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by WGH0922 (Post 1058842130)
I just read an article on a SOCNET banned pub. Sad. My concern isn't so much on prices for housing but on operational readiness to PACOM/SOCPAC. I wont get into details but I did put in a lot of hard work and mileage that seems all for naught by the "Good Idea Fairy" at MARSOC/SOCOM/HQMC. I'll await 2022 and tap into the guys that are still there to get the pulse on readiness, unit cohesion, family readiness etc...............I don't agree with it, but it won't be the first time I've been wrong.

I can imagine both the readiness and legacy/loss of what is left behind is a big OUCH! Plus the culture shock, dang.

House prices are one thing but inventory would be my concern. They throwing these homes up as fast as trailer parks here, quality to match. Will be helpful to the economy for sure but will be a strain for a few years. Examples like only one BJJ gym and it's already pretty full, nearby places to eat swamped , strip mall fever etc. oh well timing nicely with my departure plan in 2024.

e5wsf 17 February 2020 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058829221)
With the compound being in Stone Bay, I imagine they're more likely to drive up the cost of housing in Topsail and Holly Ridge.

Plus, that puts them closer to Wilmington for Friday nights... ;)

Itís a little north of me but you were correct. A friend is being redeployed (unrelated to MarSoc stuff) and the house market just became very competitive. The house they put an offer on (and lost to a higher offer) was sold in something like 2 weeks. A lot of new construction in that area though.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved