SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Genghis Khan - His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=134079)

DSSRonin 4 February 2019 21:34

Genghis Khan - His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy

Picked this up after a 10 day vacation in Mongolia. Very detailed history of the life and times of GK. Author goes to great lengths explaining the methodology of the Mongols and the historical context of the empire.

GK was a skilled strategist who rewarded success on the battlefield and ruled based on a meritocracy. While ruthless, he had profound understanding of what Clausewitz would write about 500 years later. GK let his generals fight the campaign while he planned future conquests. With a sophisticated intel system, superior communications, and mobility w/speed, he massed troops at the critical time/place for decisive victories.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in the period or strategic studies.

wowzers 4 February 2019 22:43

That hardcore History guy did a deep dive on the Mongols. It was pretty eye opening. The most interesting thing I found was he said at the end the sons in charge didn't have the same drive that GK and his initial entourage had, as they grew up in silks with full bellies not furs and meager rations. The other stat that stuck with me was the percentage of folks that can trace their linage back to GK, due to his raping and pillaging.

DSSRonin 4 February 2019 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by wowzers (Post 1058779767)
That hardcore History guy did a deep dive on the Mongols. It was pretty eye opening. The most interesting thing I found was he said at the end the sons in charge didn't have the same drive that GK and his initial entourage had, as they grew up in silks with full bellies not furs and meager rations. The other stat that stuck with me was the percentage of folks that can trace their linage back to GK, due to his raping and pillaging.

True but maybe it skipped a generation w/Kublai. ChiComms are still pissed at him for conquering China and founding the Yaun dynasty.

GK is estimated to have sired 1,000 to 2,000 offspring. 0.5% of the male population of the world (16 million)

mdavid 6 February 2019 08:09

If he would have just pushed further into Europe, or gone west instead of east, crazy to think how that would have changed the world.

I think we'd be teaching chinese in schools instead of spanish.
He really fucked the chinese out of a lot of wealth, people and assets. I wonder how much he set back their progress.
Definitely going to grab that book.

Streck-Fu 6 February 2019 10:08

I just put it on hold at the library. I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for teh recommendation.

Gray Rhyno 6 February 2019 19:06

Quote:

The most interesting thing I found was he said at the end the sons in charge didn't have the same drive that GK and his initial entourage had, as they grew up in silks with full bellies not furs and meager rations.

Soft times make for soft men.

KW Driver 7 February 2019 02:42

Quote:

That hardcore History guy did a deep dive on the Mongols.

Dan Carlin’s Harcore History.

He does deep dives on all his topics, and they’re worth listening to.

DSSRonin 7 February 2019 03:44

Happy to mail the book to someone w/the caveats that you pay it forward in some way and make a donation to the site.

It will end up in the local prison library otherwise.

wowzers 7 February 2019 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058780075)
Soft times make for soft men.

Maybe more relevant than ever considering the state of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KW Driver (Post 1058780162)

He does deep dives on all his topics, and they’re worth listening to.

The WW1 one is great too

Streck-Fu 7 February 2019 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by KW Driver (Post 1058780162)

Damn you. I never knew about this and now I'm sliding down the rabbit hole.

TX teacher 11 February 2019 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdavid (Post 1058779945)
If he would have just pushed further into Europe, or gone west instead of east, crazy to think how that would have changed the world.

I think we'd be teaching chinese in schools instead of spanish.
He really fucked the chinese out of a lot of wealth, people and assets. I wonder how much he set back their progress.
Definitely going to grab that book.

I would argue he did change the world. His, and his descendants, reopened the Silk Road, connecting Asia to the middle east and Europe. He protected that road, by using patrol stations and trading outposts and offered protection to merchants. That in itself is significant for developing trade networks.

As for speaking Chinese vs. Spanish, that's a really good question to debate. At the time, the Europeans were struggling to come out of the middle ages and were on the very verge of that happening. Perhaps the plague, which originated in China and was carried on trading ships and over the Silk Road, pushed the Europeans over the edge in regards to their own learning and technological limitations.

I hope what I'm alluding to makes sense. I teach AP World History and one thing we spend a significant amount of time on is the influence of trade routes and the Mongols. You can't mention one without the other.

Streck-Fu 11 February 2019 15:32

Makes sense looking at the timelines. I think it is pretty well established that there is a causal relationship between all 3.

Genghis Kahn made it as far west as Georgia and Armenia in the 1220s. If that reopened the Silk Road, it laid the opening for the Black Death to make it to Europe 100 years later. It was another 100 years for Europe to recover and start building its economies and cultures.

Oldpogue 11 February 2019 16:36

I've read a number of books on the Mongols. I've always had an interest in tribal societies. I would recommend four which I have in my library.
"The Mongols" by David Morgan is a good overview.
"How the Barbarian Invasions shaped the Modern World" Discusses the Vikings, Vandals, Huns, Mongols, Goths and Tartars."
"Tamerlane" Successor to Genghis Khan
"Khubilai Khan" his life and times.

Here's one for Armitage - "The Silk Roads" by Peter Frankopan - Discusses the history of the Silk Road and and how it affects us. Today with China's Belt and Road initiative this is an important read.

MrMojok 12 February 2019 19:05

This is historical fiction, but if anyone is interested, I can highly recommend this series of books: https://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Birth...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's a series of four books, and the first three are about Genghis, from birth to death. I thought they were fantasic.

Gunk 14 February 2019 09:49

I may pick up this book. I reading list is always long.

I have a book called "Genghis Kahn Emperor of All Men" written by Harold Lamb, published in 1927. Awesome book.

BOFH 18 February 2019 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSSRonin (Post 1058780164)
Happy to mail the book to someone w/the caveats that you pay it forward in some way and make a donation to the site.

I'll take you up on that offer, and will offer the same after I read it.

BOFH 18 February 2019 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMojok (Post 1058781296)
This is historical fiction, but if anyone is interested, I can highly recommend this series of books: https://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Birth...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's a series of four books, and the first three are about Genghis, from birth to death. I thought they were fantasic.

Just picked up the first one for Kindle; thanks for the recommendation. I've read a couple of Iggulden's other books, and he's an amazing historical fiction author.

82Redleg 18 February 2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOFH (Post 1058782283)
Just picked up the first one for Kindle; thanks for the recommendation. I've read a couple of Iggulden's other books, and he's an amazing historical fiction author.

For those eligible, Army MWR overdrive has the ebook of all four books as a bundle. I'm into the second one, and they are pretty good. Approaching Cornwell's Sharpe and Last Kingdom series, IMO.

smp52 14 July 2019 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldpogue (Post 1058781057)
I've read a number of books on the Mongols. I've always had an interest in tribal societies. I would recommend four which I have in my library.
"The Mongols" by David Morgan is a good overview.
"How the Barbarian Invasions shaped the Modern World" Discusses the Vikings, Vandals, Huns, Mongols, Goths and Tartars."
"Tamerlane" Successor to Genghis Khan
"Khubilai Khan" his life and times.

Here's one for Armitage - "The Silk Roads" by Peter Frankopan - Discusses the history of the Silk Road and and how it affects us. Today with China's Belt and Road initiative this is an important read.

I've read Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (2004) by Jack Weatherford. It was a fascinating read.

BOFH 15 July 2019 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSSRonin (Post 1058780164)

Got this one in a couple days ago. When I'm done, I'll pass it along to whoever wants it next :-D