SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Military Freefall (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   HALO vs AMFF (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=132472)

GotSig? 29 May 2018 12:22

HALO vs AMFF

As someone with no idea it seems HALO wold be a pretty advanced form of free fall. What would an additional school for Advanced Military Free Fall add to the equation?

gavin 29 May 2018 13:16

"HALO" is not an official military acronym.

The Fat Guy 29 May 2018 13:22

I think your terminology is a bit off, as gavin said. There is MFF and MFFATIC for teams and accelerated military freefall, which is tandem jumping and MFF Jumpmaster Course.

What exactly do you want to know?

gavin 29 May 2018 13:47

He seems to think there is a school called “HALO,” so he is wondering what AMFF is. Since there is no such thing as “HALO,” he should be able to figure it out.

Hot Mess 29 May 2018 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotSig? (Post 1058727152)
As someone with no idea it seems HALO wold be a pretty advanced form of free fall. What would an additional school for Advanced Military Free Fall add to the equation?

“Advanced” as in that’s what 99% of civilians do everyday. High Altitude Low Opening (HALO).

GotSig? 29 May 2018 14:36

Was just curious really. Saw it on a list of "schools completed" . Also was jump master , and a very specific chute that I don't remember. But HALO and Advanced Military Free Fall were listed seperate which generated the question. Thanks for taking the time.

Box 29 May 2018 14:49

The Advanced Military Free Fall Parachutist Course is an old acronym from about 10+ years ago. It was used as the MFF Instructor Course until the name was changed to "MFF Instructor Course"
The AMFFPC/MFFIC does not produce instructors - the course produces a student that is ready to enter the candidate program.

HALO is not a school - it is a method of infiltration just like HAHO, static line, air assault, or overland movement

Hot Mess 30 May 2018 00:04

As for a specific chute that depends on service? There is only one authorized MFFJM course (well, there’s another one really) across the services. IME depending on what chute they jump is the one the train on durning JM. However, my cert doesn’t say MC-4 qualified JM.

The Fat Guy 30 May 2018 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotSig? (Post 1058727167)
Was just curious really. Saw it on a list of "schools completed" . Also was jump master , and a very specific chute that I don't remember. But HALO and Advanced Military Free Fall were listed seperate which generated the question. Thanks for taking the time.

Para-Commander?
And fuck you guys, I didn't jump them in HAL.... uh MFF School. ;)

sixgun 30 May 2018 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058727274)
Para-Commander?
And fuck you guys, I didn't jump them in HAL.... uh MFF School. ;)

You mean the MC-3... :biggrin:

Box 30 May 2018 14:11

I would bet if this was recent that it was "MC-6 Jumpmaster" since there was a brief period where not everyone had been transitioned to the MC-6.
Someone from the same era as the "AMFFPC" acronym would not be out of place to say they were MC-6 JM qualified because of the way NET was being done.

It isn't 'HALO' school and a JM is a JM but what is being suggested makes sense depending on the time frame.

GotSig? 30 May 2018 15:14

I went back and looked and the jump training was not sequential but included the following.
Basic Airborne
Basic Military Free Fall (HALO)
Jump Master
Advanced Military free Fall
Instructor Training
MC5 Jump Master.

gavin 30 May 2018 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotSig? (Post 1058727340)
I went back and looked and the jump training was not sequential but included the following.
Basic Airborne
Basic Military Free Fall (HALO)
Jump Master
Advanced Military free Fall
Instructor Training
MC5 Jump Master.

Is this a poser check, or what?

GotSig? 30 May 2018 15:37

No, originally I was asking what the additional training would be from HALO to Advanced.
What I learned was there is no HALO it was part of basic and the difference seems to be that a point in time Advance was a precursor to instructor training. So makes sense to me now. Thanks again for taking the time to sort me out.

gavin 30 May 2018 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotSig? (Post 1058727349)
No, originally I was asking what the additional training would be from HALO to Advanced.
What I learned was there is no HALO it was part of basic and the difference seems to be that a point in time Advance was a precursor to instructor training. So makes sense to me now. Thanks again for taking the time to sort me out.

Uh, no.

HALO, or High Altitude Low Opening, is one of the common terms for a specific infil technique. Common, but not official.

The Military Freefall Parachutist's Course (MFFPC) is the official name for the 1st SWTG course often called "HALO school."

As I wrote way up top, HALO is not an official military term. It is an acronym in common usage, but is not official. People say HALO and HAHO (High Altitude High Opening), but the actual acronyms are HA and SO (HA, High Altitude, or SO, Stand Off). We like to change acronyms a lot in the Army, so, give it a week, and it will change, again.

Refer to Box's post about the history of the instructor qualification for instructors assigned to the MFFPC and other courses at YPGAZ (MFFJM and MFFATIC, etc).

GotSig? 30 May 2018 16:17

Let me rephrase : What I learned was there is no HALO school per say it was a technique learned at Basic Military Free Fall. The Advanced Military Free Fall course at a point in time (10+ years) was a precursor for Instructor candidates.

Would an MFFI billet be a coveted spot?

gavin 30 May 2018 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotSig? (Post 1058727358)
Would an MFFI billet be a coveted spot?

Not necessarily. Depends on one's particular career and assignment goals.

Within USASOC, I'm not sure I would term any particular position "coveted." There are ups and downs to any assignment.

The Fat Guy 30 May 2018 16:51

If you are asking about being a MFF Instructor, in my experience, the answer is yes, by some. The instructors for advanced skills like MFF and Combat Diver are not just assigned. They are gifts from God. ;)

Gavin is just jealous.

1RiserSlip 30 May 2018 16:53

The only other training I can think of other than what has already been mentioned regarding MFF training was an O2 Technician Course somewhere in California a long time ago. Don't know if it exists anymore.

gavin 30 May 2018 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058727363)
Gavin is just jealous.

If gavin's main goals were...checking out...the...um...social scene...around Key West, sure, he'd be jealous. If gavin were TFG, he'd be on the Key West bar scene like a slinky cocktail dress on Chelsea Manning.

Alas, gavin is neither jealous nor TFG.