SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Covid-19 Quarrantine 'Survival' Recipes (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=136143)

RGR.Montcalm 1 April 2020 15:32

Covid-19 Quarrantine 'Survival' Recipes

So, since we're all keeping social distance, limiting trips to the grocery store, not working (for pay anyway:rolleyes:), and restaurants doing only take out

what are you doing to keep from eating Hamburger Helper every other night?:eek:

Tonight we're dining on corned beef hash, made with French fries, onions, corned beef, salt and pepper.

Corned beef was from the rotation for keeping at least 3 month supply of canned goods.

ETA: Now is a good time to rotate all that stuff you've been stockpiling.

Your ideas/dishes will be appreciated by everyone!

Sgt Jeep 1 April 2020 15:50

Great topic.

We recently bought a 7qt air fryer (pre-chinese flu) and have been trying a little of everything in it: wings; frozen fries; baby back ribs; hard boiled eggs; frozen fish sticks; boxed brownies; green beans; frozen french toast sticks and waffles; and my favorite, bacon!

So much faster than using the oven and now that it is warming up here in TN, we don't have the heat from the oven.

The 4 of us have also been playing some board game or card game during dinner now and it has been great. 20yr old son and 19 yr old daughter just as into it as mom and dad. :biggrin:

As a side note, I have been eating 3 meals a day, compared to my normal 2 prior to isolating and actually lost 5lbs.

AKAPete 1 April 2020 15:56

Not having to hit the stock pile yet.

Pretty much eating what we usually do - except eating out which has dropped to zero - which is saving us tons of money.

Hitting Food Lion every other day for Bread, Milk, etc.

What's the "hot ticket" for a few days is interesting. TP and hand sanitizer have been gone for weeks. Chicken and Beef is gone by noon, pork by 5:00 PM.

Eating Breakfast for supper a couple of times a week. Waffle/Pancake mix, butter and syrup are always plentiful - and plenty of those three in the stash.

Shark0311 1 April 2020 15:59

My wife is a wizard in the kitchen. If I can think of it she can make it. So far she's been on a baking kick. She has baked cake, croissant, sour dough cinnamon bread and pretzels so far. All from scratch.

Mingo Kane 1 April 2020 16:01

Hobo Pizza...crust, tomato sauce, cheese, and whatever leftover meat and veggies. Take away crust and sauce, substitute with chicken stock and noodles of choice--soup. Great topic, I've been digging going back to old school 1970's recipes...

keird 1 April 2020 16:04

Fried rice. Tried some Char Siu to make a pork fired rice. Will try again.

Shark0311 1 April 2020 16:14

Here is an pretty easy recipe that I make from time to time.

Chicken or Pork Marsala:

Chicken or Pork tenderloin sliced into medallions
Marsala Cooking wine
Butter
Flower

Dredge chicken twice in flower and brown in butter (frying pan will do, medium heat). Do not burn the butter! Add Marsala to just under the top of the chicken. Put on low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Flip chicken over a few times while simmering for even cooking.

The sauce should be a bit thick and a light brown color.

Beef Rice-A-roni is a great side dish for this recipe.

havok88 1 April 2020 16:16

Other than not going out to eat, ideally the only thing that will change is that I’m going to smoke more meat.

Look. Don'tTouch. 1 April 2020 16:17

The canned chicken they sell at Costco is a hit. You mix it up with mayo, salt/pepper, and celery like you would a tuna sandwich. Comes out delicious. Give it a shot. It's quick and easy and everyone loves it. Wife also makes quesadillas with it for the kids. Costco is actually limiting people to only 1 pack of this so they should have it in stock at your local store.

Another "recipe" for making the most of our dwindling TP. We're on septic and always use nothing but 1 ply. Have not been able to get our regular stuff, so the 2 ply we bought has to be broken down. I separate the 2 ply to the end of the roll, break off one strand of 1 ply. I then put the roll on a drill and spin it to wind the single strand of 1 ply back on. Grab another empty roll, tape the other strand to that, and let the drill spin. Presto. We now have 2 rolls of 1 ply. Adapt, overcome.

KS11 1 April 2020 16:20

Eggs, bacon, avocado for breakfast (usually around noon).

Dark chocolate and cheese mid-afternoon.

Chicken (rotisserie), olive oil, mayo, pesto (red or green), avocado for dinner.

Keto friendly and relative cheap. I can eat the same thing every single day and not be bothered by it, so I pretty much do.

Gray Rhyno 1 April 2020 16:23

We've been trying to eat out 2-3 times a week, more than we usually do. We kind of think it's our responsibility, since we are still getting paid, to make sure we're spreading our money around and paying other people. Otherwise it's coffee and milk for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. The usual. :biggrin:

Gumby2/6 1 April 2020 16:24

Bologna Burritos. Take a slice of bologna and put it in middle of a flour tortilla. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar on top and nuke it for 30-40 secs. Top with sour cream and roll it up.. delicious and cheap.

Xenonburnout 1 April 2020 16:31

Breakfasts have been Kodiak pancakes or French toast or homemade egg cheese muffins
And early dinners have been pasta, rice or beans and some sort of infused sausages or chicken.
Beverages still Budweiser. Maybe a PBR when I get the itch.

Mars 1 April 2020 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058852447)
We've been trying to eat out 2-3 times a week, more than we usually do. We kind of think it's our responsibility, since we are still getting paid, to make sure we're spreading our money around and paying other people. Otherwise it's coffee and milk for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. The usual. :biggrin:

We have done that a couple times as well except we order in so that we can tip the delivery person well. Many of them aren't usually delivery drivers and are waiters, dishwashers, etc. that are being allowed to deliver so they can still earn some money and not be laid off.

Gsniper 1 April 2020 16:40

Mashed potato cakes (works with instant too, you just have to make em thick to start with)

Add seasoning of choice to your left over mashed potatoes. Add some mince dried onions if you like that. Coat your hands in Wesson to keep them from sticking to your hands. Make into patties about the size you'd make a burger, dip in scrambled egg, then roll in cornmeal. Fry with whatever oil you use till crisp on the outside.

Another of my favs is fish breader that tastes like John Silvers. Instant pancake mix and make it into batter with 7up, then coat your fish and fry.

mdwest 1 April 2020 16:45

I just picked up a bottle of 18 yr Glenmorangie today...

That, combined with a 10 yr aged Fuente Opus X should make a fine dinner tonight..

:biggrin:

Steve40th 1 April 2020 17:03

I am trying to keep the economy going by doing some drive throughs etc. Its not much. I also get foods at different stores to keep them going to . I know it is not much, but if you can help out, do it.. I am retired and my check isnt too bad. I am not working till June, tentatively according to my company, as I travel.
But, standard foods, crock pot helps. Breakfast is good all day as far as I am concerned.. corned beef, pancakes, eggs.
And cereal. I usually have cereal for the kids when they come over with grand kids. But, we are on self isolation due to wife being in contact with COVID19 positive MB exec..

diverescue 1 April 2020 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by havok88 (Post 1058852443)
Other than not going out to eat, ideally the only thing that will change is that Iím going to smoke more meat.

I've been using the Traeger about 4x per week, and the other three nights eating leftovers.
Chicken? smoker
Elk loin? smoker
Meatloaf? smoker
Tofu? garbage

billdawg 1 April 2020 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by havok88 (Post 1058852443)
Other than not going out to eat, ideally the only thing that will change is that Iím going to smoke more meat.

I'll bet, big boy, :biggrin:

billdawg 1 April 2020 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsniper (Post 1058852451)
Mashed potato cakes (works with instant too, you just have to make em thick to start with)

Add seasoning of choice to your left over mashed potatoes. Add some mince dried onions if you like that. Coat your hands in Wesson to keep them from sticking to your hands. Make into patties about the size you'd make a burger, dip in scrambled egg, then roll in cornmeal. Fry with whatever oil you use till crisp on the outside.

Another of my favs is fish breader that tastes like John Silvers. Instant pancake mix and make it into batter with 7up, then coat your fish and fry.

I am so doing this!