SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

CV 13 December 2018 12:16

Cold weather gear and just installed heated grips. I'll take the girl moniker I guess. :cool:

KidA 13 December 2018 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058768302)
Cold weather gear and just installed heated grips. I'll take the girl moniker I guess. :cool:

I'm half kidding, but I don't enjoy riding in the cold just for the sake of it, by the time I'm bundled up and shit I could have been halfway there in the car. Plus all that extra crap takes away from the control and feel of the machine to me.

Now when I get back west I may change my mind a bit since it can go from 30 degrees at 6 am to 80 degrees at noon and if you want to get in a long ride it matters, but even then 30 degrees and sun at 6000' is warm as fuck.

For short rides in 30 degrees a jacket, gloves, jeans, scarf and a head thing under my helmet has always worked...

My coldest ride was DC to Cincinnati on a 1973 RD 350 2-stroke wearing a Davida half helmet, a leather jacket, jeans, and SOTB's favorite boots. I don't think it broke 55 degrees and it rained the entire time once I was on I-68 in MD (so another 9 fucking hours). I slept in a barn once and under an overpass once. 55 degrees at 75 mp in the rain is fucking cold.

CV 13 December 2018 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058768304)
My coldest ride was DC to Cincinnati on a 1973 RD 350 2-stroke wearing a Davida half helmet, a leather jacket, jeans, and SOTB's favorite boots.

That's pretty bad-ass. Tiny-ass thumper long-distance can't be too comfortable.

KidA 13 December 2018 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058768322)
That's pretty bad-ass. Tiny-ass thumper long-distance can't be too comfortable.

Well technically thumpers are 4 strokes ;)

I ran out of gas once because there's no fuel gauge and had to push it a mile. And I ran out of 2 stroke oil in the oil reservoir and soft seized once. And I missed last call at the bar where I was meeting friends by 10 minutes but someone snuck me out a beer anyway and I met a rando Cincinnati girl and made out with her for a couple hours but didn't do any humping because my wiener was shrivelled up and wouldn't play nice.

But it does make for a nice story! :biggrin:

Headhunter1965 13 December 2018 14:11

Those RD's were badass. At least the seat was halfway comfy eh?

Maverick 16 December 2018 17:20

For anyone looking for a leather jacket, Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing has a jacket for a steal right now! I've got a vest from this company, and it's great. No issues. This thing is selling for $40 right now + shipping. You can find the same jacket on Amazon Prime for $260.

LINK TO JACKET

SF_BHT 16 December 2018 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 1058768792)
For anyone looking for a leather jacket, Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing has a jacket for a steal right now! I've got a vest from this company, and it's great. No issues. This thing is selling for $40 right now + shipping. You can find the same jacket on Amazon Prime for $260.

LINK TO JACKET

They have good products. They run sales quite often like this. The only thing I can say is they are a little slow at processing and shipping. As long as you are not in a hurry they are good.

Flatbedder 23 December 2018 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CV (Post 1058768302)

I've ridden well over a few hundred thousand miles on a dozen various street bikes [in just about every clime and place] in the lower 48 states the past few decades. Never wore any heated gear nor added or had heated grips etc.

A few years ago I purchased my first BMW - with factory heated grips.

I've been a believer in both ever since.

Durable 28 December 2018 10:45

Been riding for a while and was always interested in diesel powered motorcycles. Never owned one. This machine came to my attention today bacon, (grease), powered. I think I'll stick with my 2014 Valkyrie for now.
Link:
https://uncrate.com/hormel-black-lab...ed-motorcycle/
V/R
Bob

Headhunter1965 1 January 2019 19:19

New Yearís Day and it was 60 degrees. WTF? Did a 110 mile loop over the Cherohala to The Dragon and then home. Not a soul on the roads and didnít see a cop all day. EPIC!

1RiserSlip 1 January 2019 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 (Post 1058772018)
New Yearís Day and it was 60 degrees. WTF? Did a 110 mile loop over the Cherohala to The Dragon and then home. Not a soul on the roads and didnít see a cop all day. EPIC!

I was within 5į of taking her out a couple days ago. Now the weather's gonna get shitty again.

Glebo 1 January 2019 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 (Post 1058772018)

Well, color me VERY FRIGGIN JEALOUS... Very unseasonably warm here also (Hope Mills NC)

I did get out a bit...but not on the awesome roads you were able to (dick :biggrin:), however I mean that respectfully. Ride on and enjoy

Headhunter1965 4 January 2019 11:59

65 and sunny this Sunday. Itís on!

CAP MARINE 4 January 2019 21:48

Hope to get on my DH Chief Indian. Need to ride to Okc to drop off at dealer,get accessories on it

hawkdrver 4 January 2019 22:16

1 Attachment(s)
Wife texted this to me a couple of days ago. About 20 degrees up here at the time, just had some significant melting and the roads were snow and ice free-ish.

There is another guy up here who looks to be in his 70's that rides an Indian with a sidecar in all weather no matter what. I was at the counter at a fastener store one day when I heard what sounded like his bike, and I was like, no way. Turned around and he was walking in the door. It was about 20 below.

I'm not worthy :biggrin:

Dark Helmet 30 January 2019 00:05

1 Attachment(s)
I was at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show this past weekend and almost bought one of these for The Fat Guy.

The Fat Guy 30 January 2019 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058778425)
I was at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show this past weekend and almost bought one of these for The Fat Guy.

That would have been bad ass. I have some of the SF medallions we posted about earlier that I need to put on my bike. That would have sealed the deal.

CW3SF 30 January 2019 21:19

Quote:

New guy here. Where can I find those covers?

I have Ď16 Harley Low Rider. That would look great on there.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c89dd1df3.jpeg

1RiserSlip 31 January 2019 09:28

I looked at my bike yesterday. I think it had a frozen tear coming from the headlight. I covered it back up. Hang in there little buddy.

13F/COLT 31 January 2019 13:30

Quote:

Another Idea is the challenge coin holder this company makes. I have one on my horn cover and looks great. When the coin I have did not fit properly, I emailed him with my issue and he called me to talk about a solution. Looks great on my bike!

https://www.motordog69.com/challenge-coin-mounts/new-best-selling-coin-mounts.html