SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124963)

chokeu2 13 June 2020 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmueller (Post 1058867757)
I think salvage title may be a bigger deal than you want to deal with.

I skimmed the abandoned vehicle process, and that doesn't seem like it would work well for you either.

After digging into it, youre right. It would also trash the value of the bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildman
GO ON DMV WEB SITE, check for lost title FM fill out the form or see what FM you need to fill out, Fill it out with all the information you have, etc.,etc,.

With any luck, the bill of sale is still in the exs hands, unlike the title doc itself.... Found a title/vin look up page at the dmv site, Id missed so far.

There is a bbq at the Harley dealer today Ill be attending. They mentioned bikini contest and toxic masculinity and hot dogs too. And a sweet Street Glide Special...

Hoepoe 28 June 2020 05:13

1 Attachment(s)
Thought the audience here would appreciate this. This Nord aircraft took part in the famous Suez Crisis in the Sinai, dropping IDF paratroopers into theater on 29 October, 1956. It is now a memorial to paratroopers. The motorcycle is simply a bad ass Italian feat of engineering :)

wildman43 30 June 2020 00:11

The web site below belongs to someone I went to school with a long time ago I think you Bike guys will like it as to what they have for Bikes etc.

I know I should have asked for permission first be for posting it
Can I have permission to post this web site on Bikes.:smile:

http://www.sturgisrings.com/

BOFH 30 June 2020 10:16

1 Attachment(s)
Well, after my vintage Harley quit running, yet again, I went and bought myself a VTX1300. She runs great. Plenty of power, super stable ride, and insanely easy to work on. I won't say "never," but I will say I'm unlikely to own another Harley. If I want any of the bells and whistles, I can add them using some fraction of the $10k or so I saved by not buying a Harley. I reckon if I decide I want to move up from here, it'll probably be a Vulcan Nomad or Vaquero.

Attachment 47735

Hoepoe 30 June 2020 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOFH (Post 1058870716)
Well, after my vintage Harley quit running, yet again, I went and bought myself a VTX1300. She runs great. Plenty of power, super stable ride, and insanely easy to work on. I won't say "never," but I will say I'm unlikely to own another Harley. If I want any of the bells and whistles, I can add them using some fraction of the $10k or so I saved by not buying a Harley. I reckon if I decide I want to move up from here, it'll probably be a Vulcan Nomad or Vaquero.

Attachment 47735

Nice!

EightyDeuce 16 July 2020 09:22

2 Attachment(s)
I started a thread a couple years ago about getting back on two wheels and while I'm at the tailend of finalizing a divorce here I am, back on two wheels.

I have two kids and I'm not responsible enough to own anything fast (sold two mustang GT's in 3 years) I'm going to use this to commute on. I had forgotten how much fun riding was. Even got myself a new helmet that has an integrated sun visor which is new tech to me. Bike is a 2019 Honda Grom.

Combat Jump 16 July 2020 10:45

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyDeuce (Post 1058873289)
...I'm at the tailend of finalizing a divorce here I am, back on two wheels. ...

Deuce - congrats on both (divorce: been there twice). I'll bet that Grom is a blast around town. I've sold my Hayabusa for a more comfortable two-up bike that my girl enjoys: 2012 Triumph Bonneville SE. Not a "screamer" bike, but just enjoyable. Also agree with you on the integrated sunscreen. Very handy. Cheers!

EightyDeuce 16 July 2020 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Jump (Post 1058873307)
Deuce - congrats on both (divorce: been there twice). I'll bet that Grom is a blast around town. I've sold my Hayabusa for a more comfortable two-up bike that my girl enjoys: 2012 Triumph Bonneville SE. Not a "screamer" bike, but just enjoyable. Also agree with you on the integrated sunscreen. Very handy. Cheers!

I think my long term plan is to get something that will accomodate a two up cruise. The woman I'm seeing now has gotten an interest in bikes and once she's ready she can learn on the grom and I'll move up to something a little bigger but still not a screamer.

The R6 I had before this was nuts and I rode it way too fast and took too many risks as a father of two.

schibbs 7 August 2020 18:01

I had to cruise across the river today to get some railings for steps. Saw some really bad ass bikes traveling west on I-90. Mostly Indians and Harleys. Many of the dudes were wearing colors, some Electrical workers from New York in the one group. Is there a party nobody informed me about?

Terry Welshan 7 August 2020 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by schibbs (Post 1058876552)
I had to cruise across the river today to get some railings for steps. Saw some really bad ass bikes traveling west on I-90. Mostly Indians and Harleys. Many of the dudes were wearing colors, some Electrical workers from New York in the one group. Is there a party nobody informed me about?

Sturgis

wildman43 13 August 2020 17:26

1 Attachment(s)
GROWING OLD is Inevitable GROWING UP is OPTOPTINAL

Hoepoe 14 August 2020 22:39

Moto Guzzi V85 TT

1 Attachment(s)
First ride and here are my thoughts. Fantastic! I got home after being out several hours....two hours later was back on the bike and hit some trails.

I'm looking forward to getting past the run in period.

H

Mars 14 August 2020 22:40

Nice bike, Brother! I wish you the safest of travels as there is no riding like that of a bike on a beautiful day where you can truly enjoy the drive.

Hoepoe 14 August 2020 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 1058877599)
Nice bike, Brother! I wish you the safest of travels as there is no riding like that of a bike on a beautiful day where you can truly enjoy the drive.

Thank you! Undoubtedly good for the soul!

Seanmcd82 5 September 2020 19:41

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanmcd82 (Post 1058824564)
If you ride and have never been to Utah, you should make time. I spent a week or so out in Moab a few weeks ago when it was still warm days but cool at night, perfect conditions. All I can say it Epic.

Throwing this out there for anyone who may want to tell life to Fuck Off and go riding next month, around October 3-15th-ish or so. I am heading back to Moab Utah for a week (probably two) to ride and get away from reality.

Here is the deal, Moab and the surrounding area, Western Colorado, is the probably the most spectacular off road riding in the world, amazing views and terrain. I will ride most every day, half the time riding with some guys I rode with last year coming out from Ohio, skill level is between 5-9 on a 10 scale which makes for a good pace with lots of time to enjoy the scenery and take breaks.

I ride a KTM 500EXC, the other guys ride a KTM 350 EXCF, a Husky 350, and a Kawasaki 400 I think. So anything between a 250 and 650 (if you are skilled) will work just fine. You need to know how to ride tho, this is not a beginner trip, unfortunately, the terrain is just too tough regardless of speed. There will be an overnight trip out thru White Rim, maybe a 2nd overnight to La Sal Mtn CO, you can skip that trip if you want.

I am driving out early October after my Daughters wedding and staying til I run out of energy or money. If you have any real interest let me know and we can work on making it happen.

Here's what you need. Time off, either a motorcycle and a way to get it there, OR money to rent a bike and fly out, they rent bikes in Moab for between $200-$350 a day. I am bringing my RV, I stay in the desert for free, you can stay with me if you want, Tent or whatever, or in town at a hotel.

Anyway if you have any interest it is truly a once in a lifetime trip, let me know. If I don't know you give me some background as I generally don't like people, as most here will attest to, but I do love riding and SOCNET has given to me 1000 times more than I have given to it so.

Here are a few pics from last year.

wildman43 27 September 2020 18:20

1 Attachment(s)
A photo of a bike that a female rides not sure how old or what it is, an yes she is hot for her age :biggrin:

Hoepoe 29 September 2020 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanmcd82 (Post 1058881009)
Throwing this out there for anyone who may want to tell life to Fuck Off and go riding next month, around October 3-15th-ish or so. I am heading back to Moab Utah for a week (probably two) to ride and get away from reality.

Here is the deal, Moab and the surrounding area, Western Colorado, is the probably the most spectacular off road riding in the world, amazing views and terrain. I will ride most every day, half the time riding with some guys I rode with last year coming out from Ohio, skill level is between 5-9 on a 10 scale which makes for a good pace with lots of time to enjoy the scenery and take breaks.

I ride a KTM 500EXC, the other guys ride a KTM 350 EXCF, a Husky 350, and a Kawasaki 400 I think. So anything between a 250 and 650 (if you are skilled) will work just fine. You need to know how to ride tho, this is not a beginner trip, unfortunately, the terrain is just too tough regardless of speed. There will be an overnight trip out thru White Rim, maybe a 2nd overnight to La Sal Mtn CO, you can skip that trip if you want.

I am driving out early October after my Daughters wedding and staying til I run out of energy or money. If you have any real interest let me know and we can work on making it happen.

Here's what you need. Time off, either a motorcycle and a way to get it there, OR money to rent a bike and fly out, they rent bikes in Moab for between $200-$350 a day. I am bringing my RV, I stay in the desert for free, you can stay with me if you want, Tent or whatever, or in town at a hotel.

Anyway if you have any interest it is truly a once in a lifetime trip, let me know. If I don't know you give me some background as I generally don't like people, as most here will attest to, but I do love riding and SOCNET has given to me 1000 times more than I have given to it so.

Here are a few pics from last year.

That sounds incredible! I'm planning similar here post lockdown and when work allows, but in a much smaller scale of course.

MALSV 29 September 2020 07:32

Anybody running Dunlop D404 tires rather than D402 on HD Softails ? at 71 my Iron Butt rides ceased after a rigid shovelhead run from Cleveland to N.O. in 1973. So for bar hopping wondering if the D 404 would suffice.

RangerCharlie 29 September 2020 08:34

Just turned 12 years of ownership for my HD. Ticked over 10,800 miles so yep I don't ride a lot.
Some highlights:
HD's are overpriced but you get entry into the "Club" no matter where you go.
Rear tires only last 5-6,000 miles
Bike has been reliable, no issues other than oil, tire, brake changes.

bird2778 29 September 2020 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MALSV (Post 1058884362)
Anybody running Dunlop D404 tires rather than D402 on HD Softails ? at 71 my Iron Butt rides ceased after a rigid shovelhead run from Cleveland to N.O. in 1973. So for bar hopping wondering if the D 404 would suffice.

I believe the load ratings are different. The 402 is the HD branded tire. Its a better tire with a higher load rating. You'll get more mileage out of it, also.