SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Just getting back into shape, need advice... (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=81993)

Okie75 25 November 2008 19:08

Just getting back into shape, need advice...

Any one got any work out plans for a guy just getting back into weight lifting/working out?

IM 6'3'' and run 288 and have lost 40 lbs in the last 4 months, doing cardio and diet.... but i am wanting to start lifting again.

Anyone got any quick work oout plans a guy can use...

here is what I have...

M, W, F -- upper body
10 x Bench Press 30% of max, 8 x 40% of max, 6 x 60% of max
10 x skull crusher 30% of max, 8 x 40% of max, 6 x 60% of max
10 x bent bar curl 30% of max, 8 x 40% of max, 6 x 60% of max
10 x butterfly press 30% of max, 8 x 40% of max, 6 x 60% of max

I rotate bench, tricept
Curl, press with 6 second wait times between each set, two groups at a time..

(ex. bnch, skul crsh, bench, skul crsh)

T, Th -- lower body

10 x Squat 30% of max, 10 x 40% of max
10 x leg press, 30% of max, 10 x 40% of max
10 x leg ext. 50% of max, 10 x 60% of max
10 x weight lunges with 2 x 20 lb dumbells, continue with 4 more sets.

I do cardio three times a week, 3 mile fast paced walk as I am still overweight and it is hard on the knees...

Any ideas to help a fat boy get in shape would be great!

Thanks!

(cut carb intake to 40 grams per day.. no sodas, no candy, some bread, lean meats, and trying to avoid fried food all together)

Impavidus 25 November 2008 21:46

It may just be me, but I say fuck all that math. Stick to full body/multiple joint motions, like these:

-Squat cleans
-Snatch
-Push Press
-Bench Press
-One arm clean and press

I could go on and on.

cryptodan 25 November 2008 21:55

What are your goals in lifting? Mass gaining? Muscle endurance? Strength building?

Okie75 25 November 2008 22:59

i want to first get my joints and ligaments ready for training and strengthened again. Then eventually i am going for gains....

I dont want to jump it to it too fast and hurt myself...

Axe 25 November 2008 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jostha2008 (Post 1071383)
...i want to first get my joints and ligaments ready for training...

If you are just starting back to weights, I wouldn't start out lifting anything approaching 30% of your max, let alone 60%. That is a recipe for serious pain. Your muscles might be up to the task, but your tendons and ligaments won't be, and you will hate life with great intensity for several days. Been there, Done that, got the t-shirt.

MixedLoad 25 November 2008 23:18

My two cents are you don't need to focus on the weights.

Do full body circuits, with high cardio focus, low resistance exercises. Knock out some CrossFit workouts also. You'll burn up fat and strengthen your tendons and joints.

Sharky 25 November 2008 23:25

Moved to the Fitness forum from the lounge for reasons known only to me......

CB 25 November 2008 23:27

Long and slow full body, such as Max3 Elliptical (if available).
If you have ever been in truly good shape in your life, your body will remember and respond.

Hot Mess 26 November 2008 06:50

SWIM! Your cardio will vastly improve and there is no stress on the joints. And as Nomad said croosfit, its the latest rage:cool:

OS3 26 November 2008 10:15

I'm with Nomad and rangers snaplink on this; cardio including swimming. Pick up a copy of Stew Smith's Maximum Fitness or drop me a pm and I'll send you my copy to borrow for a year.
Just helped a LEO friend from 248 to 178 (5'10") in less than a year. He's about to start crossfit with me. He started with Body/Eating for Life (Bill Phillips) and Maximum Fitness.

Gryfen-FL 26 November 2008 10:32

Damn, I'm behind the power curve.

I'd like to pitch in on backing the guys who brought up CrossFit. But i would add that caviat that you should go to the BrandX board and start with scaled workouts.

....ditch the Leg Press, do Squats, drink milk, have fun!

Okie75 26 November 2008 13:34

When I graduated H.S. (All state linebacker) and joined the Navy (NO I WASN'T A SEAL), I was in the best shape of my life... 6'3'' 190 lbs. I maintained good weight through out, up until about 8 years ago when i started sitting on my ass all the time doing IT work, well life got me busy, and i got lazy. Fast forward to my early 30's and I am thinking, its time to fix some things.

Yes to the points about 30~60% I am hurting right now as we speak.... so i have dropped down to just working on "range of motion" right now. Picking up more cardio (have elliptical machine and treadmill) so I plan on adding that. I speed walk/jog as much as I can as well. My goal is to drop 3 - 5 lbs. per month and continue on dieting.

I am going to do the crossfit thing as well... I guess it would be good to get a partner to be accountable to.

Any more advice is welcomed and much appreciated.

Silverbullet 26 November 2008 14:34

http://www.rosstraining.com/

Just the basics. A number of different programs and concepts to get you back into shape and keep you there. You can get back on the wts once you reach a desired wt/goal. I think you're trying to recapture what you did in your youth when you need to focus on getting the blubber off.

No preaching that it's some magical new formula, either.

Work hard and you'll get there if you stick with a program and clean up your diet.

Good luck.

Slim 26 November 2008 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jostha2008 (Post 1071580)
My goal is to drop 3 - 5 lbs. per month and continue on dieting.

Check out the zone diet.
Quote:

I am going to do the crossfit thing as well...
If you do, X2 to Gryfen's advice: Scale it to start, there is plenty of time to get hard as nails again, but if you start skipping workouts from soreness or fatigue it will take much longer.

I started hard core doing full workouts that would take forever before realizing I was missing the point.

The kool Aide tastes good though.:D

Quote:

I guess it would be good to get a partner to be accountable to.
Start an excercise log too. Accountability to yourself can be as good as a partner.

Good luck.

Outofcontrol 26 November 2008 15:33

x2 on the Fitness Log. It is a strong motivator being able to WATCH your progress. You'll find with most CrossFit gyms, that the entire class is your 'partner.' That is the case with my wife (and myself, of course), she goes to the Gym, because thats where A LOT of our friends are. You really do form a bond with the people you work out with.

Diet has also been mentioned. At our gym, we do a lot of nutritional counseling as well. Keep in mind that fitness is NOT 50% Diet/50% Exercise. Its more like 70% Diet/30% Exercise. You can make changes faster by fixing your diet than you can by killing yourself in the gym. Remember, food is FUEL for the body to function. It is vitally important that you fuel your body PROPERLY both before and AFTER any workouts.

Finally, hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE. You would be AMAZED at the improvements you will see when your body is PROPERLY hydrated.

Best of luck, bro! Like SB said...just stick with whatever program you choose, and you'll make it.

3...2...1...GO!

OOC, out

Okie75 26 November 2008 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outofcontrol (Post 1071625)
x2 on the Fitness Log. It is a strong motivator being able to WATCH your progress. You'll find with most CrossFit gyms, that the entire class is your 'partner.' That is the case with my wife (and myself, of course), she goes to the Gym, because thats where A LOT of our friends are. You really do form a bond with the people you work out with.

Diet has also been mentioned. At our gym, we do a lot of nutritional counseling as well. Keep in mind that fitness is NOT 50% Diet/50% Exercise. Its more like 70% Diet/30% Exercise. You can make changes faster by fixing your diet than you can by killing yourself in the gym. Remember, food is FUEL for the body to function. It is vitally important that you fuel your body PROPERLY both before and AFTER any workouts.

Finally, hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE. You would be AMAZED at the improvements you will see when your body is PROPERLY hydrated.

Best of luck, bro! Like SB said...just stick with whatever program you choose, and you'll make it.

3...2...1...GO!

OOC, out

+ eleventlyzillion on the Hydration! I was sluggish when i first started out, like I said, i have dropped 40 in six months.. and i was not hydrated well the first 3 months.
Now i do 8 bottles of water a day (96 oz) and it has made a world of difference.

Hot Mess 26 November 2008 16:13

I recommend this book to everyone. I used it to getting ready for SFAS and was very happy. I followed the diet/ workouts in it and thus became a firm believer in the authors thesis.

I will say this about lifting weights, every pound of muscle burns 50 cals. a day. While it would behoove you to drop some of that extra weight off your joints, it is something to think about.

3-5 lbs. a month is very conservative. It is safe to lose 2lbs. a week. Look at it this way. If you eat 500 less cals. a day, and burn 500 cals. a day that is a 1000 cals. a day. Times seven days is 2lbs. Not to mention that once you get that metabolism going you'll be burning cals. all day and night.

One other nonimpact exercise that might work is biking. While it can be a little pricey to start I believe the cardio benefits are outstanding. The workouts are longer (mine avg. about 1h 30min) but your heart rate is in that fat burning zone pretty much the whole time.

Okie75 3 December 2008 19:45

alright guys, here is something...

I have lost 5 lbs this last week. Im doing what I can right now. But here is what I want to do. My motivation so to speak. I know this isnt some cool Spec Ops thing, but I am planning on getting in shape enough to sign up in the NG, they have a "Signal Corps" unit up here and since i have experience that I feel I could use to help out, I feel it is my duty to do this.

I have started doing alot more cardio, I still lift but i have started doing pushups, sit ups, etc, alot more as well.

Any ways, anything thoughts on other ways I can prepare myself? I am 33 and have alot of will power, so I am willing to bust my ass to get to where I need to go.

My BIL is 38 in Texas NG and did some pretty amazing things this past year to get joined up to a new unit down there, so I am inspired by his abilities, now he has never been in bad shape so it was easy for him, but I am thinking i am still in my prime so I can do some things to correct it and do something for my Country in the mean while.

alright.. that is my motivation...

I am going to post some current pics now and do some more as I lose down...

Gryfen-FL 3 December 2008 20:23

Watch your recovery. Put some of your motivation towards tracking your 'normal' resting heart rate.

Hit up google for all the details, but if you're running hot when you first open your eyes in the morning...you should consider slowing down for a day or two.

grappler 3 December 2008 22:31

If you're interested in Ultimate Fighting but not actually jumping in the cage for the $$$$, I'd say find an MMA gym in your area.

MMA is a fun way to get into shape as well as you are guaranteed to learn something in self-defense. Our conditioning workouts -- also called "warm-ups":rolleyes: by our coach -- alone make you push yourself. Then class begins, more conditioning, and afterward we head out to the parking lot for sprints. It's brutal.

We have guys that join our gym because it's ego-free -- That's a must. Talk to the coach and tell him what you're looking for, 'I want to get into shape as well as learn how to protect myself', or more truthfully... Knock someone the fuck out.:D But ask around, most gyms carry a reputation -- "This gym has guys that are just looking to prove they are better than you." Steer clear ** "This gym takes care of their fighters and members." Join.

If you're worried about your size, don't. I'm 6'3, 230lbs. and I roll and throw fists with guys that have me by 40lbs. Just get in there and do it, brother. Everyone has to start -- or get back -- somewhere. :)

Also, Crossfit = Two thumbs up!!