SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Crossfit & PT.... (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=77208)

BlackAdam01 16 April 2008 10:31

Crossfit & PT....

So my young 0-2 has been on this Crossfit spree/rage/obsession lately and been beating the cr@p out of the Det. Don't get me wrong PT good, PT fun!! but we have had more wounds and visits to the Doc than ever before. Like significant increase from a crew that is not subject to a lot of whining! Is he doing something wrong or what? Has anyone else had issues with this? I did a search here and saw some recommendations for it (Crossfit) so was just wondering. The unit isnt SF in any way shape or form but we do more than the standard Blue Water guys & gals. Thanks!

SOTB 16 April 2008 10:40

The Crossfit website makes a great deal of commentary to the idea that you would have less injuries from Crossfit than you would doing other types of PT. I think the theory is that you are spending less time actually exercising and doing enough variation that you supposedly would not be overworking any one particular muscle group. And, I think the thought process is that core body conditioning is the goal, so all of the muscle groups are strengthened and therefore helping protect each other better.

Having stated that, I can comment that I have managed to injure my right shoulder while doing Crossfit -- I am probably the one at fault, as many of the exercises, i simply have no experience in (heavy lifting).

At the same time, I can tell you that my back no longer hurts, nor my legs, and I am apparently as strong/fast as I have been in the past 15 years.

I'll be out doing Crossfit this afternoon....

Gryfen-FL 16 April 2008 10:52

Just curious.....How much experience do your guys have with the kind of lifting crossfit does?

Have they been scaling the workouts, or does your LT just give them a full throttle WOD?

If Oly or Powerlifting is completley new to someone and they jump into a program without working up and building technique first, i would guess that's a MAJOR injury risk.

Brand-X site has tips for scaling things that I believe have saved me from visits to the doc.

chokeu2 16 April 2008 11:10

I've been doing "crossfit" before it was labeled, packaged and called "crossfit". The reality is that you shouldn't be seeing an increase in injury's at all. Your .lt is doing something very wrong.

I incorporated that style of workouts in front of MMA training for years. The key is taking the time to do PROPER warm up. No way around proper warm ups, period.

One last thing, no stretching prior to a "crossfit" style of working out. That will actually weaken the muscles and tendons. Stretching NEEDS to be done AFTER the workout.

JRB11 16 April 2008 12:04

Been doing it for 8 months, and I also injured my shoulders early on. I had been more into traditional weight trng and hadn't done 100 pullups/dips/push-ups in a row in about 20 years, so the repetative stuff killed me. That said, like SOTB, my back/core has never felt stronger and I have much less pain overall. The olympic stuff is where you really need good instruction or you're looking for trouble. I'm 47, 20 year firefighter, and I feel better now during a kick ass fire than I did 10 years ago. Just slowly work up to doing the full blown EOD, maybe do the warm-up for a few weeks.

Chubs 16 April 2008 12:16

I agree with the assessments so far. While the repetition could potentially be causing a problem, CF cycles lifts so often that I don't see it becoming a problem unless there is some pre-existing condition. One thing that also comes to mind is that most people's form goes to shit once they start getting tired. Form breakdowns are going to occur, but form shouldn't be sacrificed in order to better your time. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the injuries are form related.

SOTB 16 April 2008 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubs
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the injuries are form related.

I'm positive -- sadly -- that shoe belongs to me. I'm simply too stupid to admit that I should slow down and do the exercise right, and instead have my eyes glued to the second hand on the wall clock.

Dumb, dumb, dumb....

theBilldoman 16 April 2008 13:06

Speaking of Crossfit, is anyone on this board going to the Charlotte cert 24-25 May?

Dino0311 16 April 2008 14:15

I fucked up my back doing the Olympic lifts with low weight. It set me back a couple months. A little more care and I've been fine doing the same workouts with more weight.

CAP MARINE 16 April 2008 14:23

im no expert! but if you are use to the standard PT and weight-thing,then i could see how Crossfit could cause some injuries.i do the treadmill jog,weights,kxboxing etc. i also started a Marine Corps combat fitness program-with a little more exercising than they do! if you dont have your core in good shape i could see how things could go wrong.my MC fitness includes the use of dumbells,bodywt exercises,and one or two exercises uses an olympic bar.takes about an hour to do.core-means having your stomach and back in shape,about to do some pullups,pushups,dips etc.my .02-there are those on here much more capable than me.im 59.

Believeraz 16 April 2008 14:59

I tweaked my wrist in January doing hang cleans. Improper form or breakdowns in form from heavy weight lead to injury. I'm proof.

Warmup before, stretch after. I never realized this until about 2 years ago, but I feel the difference, and it's supposed to prevent injury.

Get instruction on proper form if at all possible. I'm largely self-taught and have paid the price for that a few times along the way.

Slim 16 April 2008 15:07

I have been doing Crossfit for about 8 weeks now, another thing I can thank SOCnet directly for, and can echo what others have said about scaling, warming up etc. I would also add for the lifts, take advantage of the instructional videos. They have been instrumental in helping me learn the "right" way to do some of the excercises.

As a little background I have always trieed ot stay in shape and have been mostly successful. Until this year I had been focusing alot on endurance, Triathlon, cycling and the like, so my overall strenght was probably not that great when I started. I have been slowly adding weight and taking it slow to help with my form. LIke others have mentioned, since I came to Crossfit my back has never felt better.

This is just my begginners crossfitters guess, but I would say if someone is getting injured they are probably going too gung-ho. With Crossfit it's crawl walk, then run.

Chubs 16 April 2008 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 990761)
I'm positive -- sadly -- that shoe belongs to me. I'm simply too stupid to admit that I should slow down and do the exercise right, and instead have my eyes glued to the second hand on the wall clock.

Dumb, dumb, dumb....

It's that competitive spirit. I've always been the same way, but after bulging a couple of discs and tearing the muscles in my lower back (PLing related), I've had to focus much more on form, even when extremely fatigued. Even when setting PRs, you've got to be extremely focused on form. Breakdowns are always going to occur at ME output, but there should always be an effort to minimize them. Another point to think about, is that form breakdowns usually make you less efficient, thus increasing your times on some of the WODs. A solid focus on improving form will not only keep you safer but make you quicker as well. As the old adage goes, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

JRB11 16 April 2008 19:20

I've found that one of the best things about is that it's addictive and fun. I'm the site every night checking what I'm going to put myself thru the next day, and if it doesn't agree with me, I check the SeAL site in the AM. Plus, you can always spot other cross fitters at the gym. I saw one guy doing 135# DL's, and then going to military press machine over and over. I asked him if he didn't like HS pushups because I knew he was cross fitting and that was the WOD. Turns out he was, and he was a former SeAL and posts on this site. I love the cross fit.

mdb23 16 April 2008 19:25

I'm crazy addicted to CF. Like others, I check the WOD of the day before I go to bed at night, and have the temperment of a badger on meth when doing the exercises.

I was always a "run 3 miles, lift weights" kinda guy, but I am seeing better results working out 20 minutes a day than I ever did going to the gym for 2 hours.

The downside? My left shoulder. Hurts like a bitch in the morning, but I can stretch it out. Never had that problem before I started CF. Then again, I never did 120 pull ups for time, either.

Given the popularity of CF on here, we should start a "post your CF time" thread and just keep it running. Let everyone else on here know what you did that day.

Mjolnir 16 April 2008 19:27

Ive been doing crossfit type workouts for a while now, and have changed my focus from mass and size to actual strength.

I can tell you straight up, if your crew is doing the workouts correctly and taking time to use proper weight and form, they should not be getting injured.

In fact when they are done they should feel ready for whatever faces them that day, I know I feel much better after a great workout than I did lifting conventionally.

Chubs 16 April 2008 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir (Post 990942)

In fact when they are done they should feel ready for whatever faces them that day, I know I feel much better after a great workout than I did lifting conventionally.

I'm trashed after a workout haha.

grappler 16 April 2008 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir (Post 990942)
I can tell you straight up, if your crew is doing the workouts correctly and taking time to use proper weight and form, they should not be getting injured.

I want to echo that.

I've been doing Crossfit for awile now, mixed with running, lifting, and MMA. Yes, being sore is always there, but not injured.

Sounds like the guys' egos might be getting the best of them... lifting too much weight, which then leads to bad form, which = injuries.

Chubs 16 April 2008 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdb23 (Post 990940)
Given the popularity of CF on here, we should start a "post your CF time" thread and just keep it running. Let everyone else on here know what you did that day.

That would be pretty cool. I want to say that these forums used to have an exercise/conditioning portion several years ago, but I can't remember for sure.

Outofcontrol 16 April 2008 23:10

As an owner of a CrossFit affiliate, my question is:

Is the LT (or anyone for that matter) a certified CF Level I or better Instructor? If not, then there is a major risk of SERIOUS injury. CF is designed to be led/supervised by a certified instructor who is trained in leading group training, as well as proper form. Motivation and the competitive spirit is great, but the risk of hurting people by being forced into a workout regimen (whether its CF or not) with out scaling the workout to the individual, is bad bad juju. If the unit doesnt have a CF certified instructor, and the LT wants to utilize CF as the unit PT, then talk to him and convince him to pay for for the Unit PT Coordinator to attend a cert. They occur all the time, just e quick...they sell out within a couple hours every time.

OOC, out