SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Medical (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Hearing Loss (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=133435)

GPC 29 October 2018 10:08

Hearing Loss

The past few years I have really noticed my hearing declining. I am constantly having clients repeat themselves. Having the phone at my desk turned up so loud that my boss could hear everything.

My wake-up call came when I was at a local coffee shop. I was joking with a friend I was thinking of a career change and might become a Barista. Sitting there I realized I wouldn't be able to do the job as I couldn't hear a damn thing. My family was noticing and I was starting to isolate myself from social settings. I read this article by Chuck Norris on hearing loss and decided to get off my ass and take action.

After my hearing test at the VA they confirmed I have quite a bit of hearing loss. I'll be getting hearing aids in a few weeks and hope they help me out. I was surprised they are blue tooth capable. I really encourage folks get your hearing checked. And please, don't be embarassed.

Any tips for a new user? I'll have to remember to turn everything down.:smile:

Chuck Norris article here. https://mobile.wnd.com/2018/06/chuck...-hearing-loss/

Sharky 29 October 2018 10:24

I recently went through the same. I initially bought hearing aids but my insurance was so jacked up that I just took them back this morning and got a refund. I loved the hearing aids but not $7K worth of love, as my insurance didn't want to pay a dime even though I should be covered and I just don't have the time to fight them about it. Luckily I have discovered that VA already had me as service-connected hearing loss since 1992 so I will be getting the same hearing aids now from the VA for free.

FinsUp 29 October 2018 10:33

I just had a hearing test at the VA and was told to set up an appointment to get fitted for hearing aids.

1RiserSlip 29 October 2018 16:31

My hearing is fucked. I've got used to the constant ringing now though. I do have trouble hearing 1 certain person trying to talk to me in a crowd, especially soft speaking folks like females. I got hearing aides from the VA that were supposed to cancel out the ringing. Taxpayers wasted about $3300.00 there. They're bulky and uncomfortable. So, anyone who knows me either knows to speak up or get used to "huh".

Stretch 29 October 2018 23:18

Huh...

My nearly 76yo father got a pair recently. He is more engaged.

My 79yo FIL is a hardheaded fuck. Will not even consider it...

Ole crusty bastard 30 October 2018 03:42

I'm on my second set of hearing aids. I enjoy the silence more than the jumble of noises they bring in, so they stay in their little container.

I've had behind the ear and in the ear types, the behind the ear seemed to have a better freq response.

Polypro 1 November 2018 07:42

Luckily, I just have Tinitus. There's a range where there is loss, but it's very high (probably same freq as the Tinitus?). I'm anal about ear pro for everything now.

And seriously, lets talk more medical device scammery - a set of active ear pro for shooting, over the ear or those high-speed plugs - is $50-$500. 7 THOUSAND! for hearing aids? Yeah right...

Sharky 1 November 2018 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polypro (Post 1058759136)
7 THOUSAND! for hearing aids? Yeah right...

Yep. They are programmable, so based on your audiogram they only amplify sound in the frequencies that you have a loss. That part was nice because it's much better when not EVERYTHING is just louder.

And they even have bluetooth now. You can pair them with an iPhone and use them like a bluetooth headset to answer calls or listen to music. Android requires a separate microphone for calls.

But, to your point, yeah I wasn't liking them enough to spend $7K, especially now that I know I can get the exact same thing from the VA for free.

I do think I dodged a bullet/scam though. The window to bring them back for a refund is 30 days, but insurance usually take 45-60 days to reimburse for the claim. So, by the time you figure out what the insurance is going to pay you are typically already outside the refund window. In my case, had I not been keeping up with it I would now be stuck with $7K worth of hearing aids.

8654maine 1 November 2018 09:55

What hearing loss?

Mine is perfect. I rarely hear my wife nag me.

ramzmedic 1 November 2018 10:18

GPC, which model did you get?

Hearing aids are issued for both tinnitus and hearing loss. A few weeks ago one fell out of my right ear and I accidentally stepped on it broke it. The VA in St. Cloud, MN ordered a new one, and I received it a week later from the manufacturer. Mine are GN ReSound Lynx 3D 7. The box had the retail price of $2999, just for one. I doubt the VA pays that much considering volume. VA/DOD are likely their #1 customer.

Having a speaker in your ear certainly will take care of the hearing loss issue. But I have also found my tinnitus is better for a few days after wearing them. Starkey sells some relatively inexpensive models (compared to the others), so I'm a little surprised they issue the high-dollar ones.

GN ReSound, Oticon, Phonak, Siemens (Signia), Starkey, and Widex are the brands they issue. Not sure why one over the other.

1RiserSlip 1 November 2018 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8654maine (Post 1058759181)
What hearing loss?

Mine is perfect. I rarely hear my wife nag me.

That's selective hearing loss.

Sharky 1 November 2018 11:17

Mine that cost $7K were Oticon.

GPC 1 November 2018 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzmedic (Post 1058759195)
GPC, which model did you get?

Hearing aids are issued for both tinnitus and hearing loss. A few weeks ago one fell out of my right ear and I accidentally stepped on it broke it. The VA in St. Cloud, MN ordered a new one, and I received it a week later from the manufacturer. Mine are GN ReSound Lynx 3D 7. The box had the retail price of $2999, just for one. I doubt the VA pays that much considering volume. VA/DOD are likely their #1 customer.

Having a speaker in your ear certainly will take care of the hearing loss issue. But I have also found my tinnitus is better for a few days after wearing them. Starkey sells some relatively inexpensive models (compared to the others), so I'm a little surprised they issue the high-dollar ones.

GN ReSound, Oticon, Phonak, Siemens (Signia), Starkey, and Widex are the brands they issue. Not sure why one over the other.

Waiting on them to come in.

Expatmedic 1 November 2018 13:22

My wife just left the California Audiology Board as a Special Investigator. Fraud was her most common consumer complaint.

This covered furnishers as well as Aud.D's.

The massive mark up and level of fraud around hearing aids is crazy.

If you are out of pocket always say no to their listed price.

For clarity, Audiologists are only mentioned as a description of the Board. Fraud amongst Aud.D's is rare.

The hearing aid dispensers/furnishers are the problem. They set their own prices.

GPC 7 January 2019 20:22

Got fitted today and did notice a difference. Heard a lot of things I hadn't heard in a while. Really like the Bluetooth feature. With Android you get an adapter that can be used as a boom mic. Had fun with that in a restaurant.:biggrin:
It is nice not screaming into the phone.

The brand I was issued are Oticons.

Stretch 7 January 2019 20:26

Good news.

jhes160 17 January 2019 16:44

I got mine a few weeks ago. The brand is Resound and they’re awesome! I was reffered to the audiologists from the TBI clinic. I’m still AD but retire in April, so I’m getting all my shit checked out now. My two favorite settings are “restaurant” mode which dims background noise so I can focus on who’s in front of me and the mode which produces a faint white noise to help with the tinnitus. Definitely improved my quality of life, especially socially.

schibbs 19 January 2019 08:16

I have had tinnitus for years now. I should not complain because so many have it much worse. I did , however, feel like throat punching the condescending bitch who interviewed me in the hearing department at the VA. When one complains of ringing(more like cicadas for me) in the ears, you get this, ya right attitude. Anyhoo, I have not known complete silence unless I am sound asleep, I need to keep fans on that sound like C-130's.

GPC 29 January 2019 22:08

I really like mine. They are great in social situations. And it is nice to sit in restaurant and actually hear whoever I'm with. The other pro is folks notice them and talk louder.:biggrin:

Massgrunt 30 January 2019 00:04

My hearing is going, although I'm not sure if it's really getting worse. It's a constant point of friction between my wife and I, it genuinely bothers me that she can't seem to understand I can't hear her and won't speak louder. My hearing didn't spontaneously regenerate over night. I definitely tune out in noisy social settings.